Agassi-Niemenen [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Agassi-Niemenen

JustmeUK
05-24-2005, 01:39 PM
Andre in trouble. Set down and break down :(.

Nor really sure how. I guess Niemenen is playing above himself and going for some huge shots and making them. Andre's struggling a little to play his best? Not quite controlling all the rallies with his groundstrokes and looks a little lightweight at times. He's broken back to level at 1-1 in the second set but he did the same thing after going a break up in the first and then going a break down before levelling up and losing his last service game of the set (for a 5-7 score).

C'mon Andre.

savesthedizzle
05-24-2005, 01:43 PM
I think the main problem for Andre has been his double faults and unforced errors, at least in the first set. In the first set he had 21 UEs now at 34 for the match and 7 double faults for the match as well. He's starting to hit the lines now, so this set should probably go in his favor.

Domino
05-24-2005, 01:45 PM
Or you can all realize that Niemenen is a class player, lefty, and can play well on clay. He did reach the last 16 before he got injured here.

SuperFurryAnimal
05-24-2005, 01:45 PM
Good luck Jarkko! Kick the old man's butt! :yeah:

Kristen
05-24-2005, 01:46 PM
indeed! Keep up the good work Jarkko! :yeah:

savesthedizzle
05-24-2005, 01:46 PM
Or you can all realize that Niemenen is a class player, lefty, and can play well on clay. He did reach the last 16 before he got injured here.

I'm not taking anything away from Niemenen at all. I would actually like him to win this match, but he's not doing anything to cause 7 double faults from Agassi... that's Agassi's own problem.

Rogiman
05-24-2005, 01:49 PM
Go Jarkko...? :shrug:

Domino
05-24-2005, 01:50 PM
Double faults that are being brought on by Niemenen's extreme returning position. He's always stayed inside the baseline to return and put pressure on the server with quick powerful returns. That intimidates the server, and can produce a string of double faults when your trying to make that second serve good. Agassi in particular is vulnerable to this because he changes grip for his second serve to get more spin, and typically puts the serve too short.

Action Jackson
05-24-2005, 01:52 PM
Nieminen can play the game and if he had more self-belief he'd be even better. He also has a great forehand which he can trouble Agassi with.

Agassi hasn't been a threat on clay for a while.

JustmeUK
05-24-2005, 01:56 PM
I know Niemenen can play some but I didn't really think he'd be as consistent as he has or make some of the shots he has.

Andre looks very lethargic though and I can't remember his shots lacking penetration like they have today for a long time.

iliketennis
05-24-2005, 01:56 PM
:yeah: Jarkko's gonna win this one for me :banana:

KarstenBraasch#1
05-24-2005, 01:57 PM
Agassi should retire. He's hopeless.

SuperFurryAnimal
05-24-2005, 01:58 PM
It's time to retire for the old man... Hope he realises it himself as well! Finally!

Heya Jarkko! :banana:

Action Jackson
05-24-2005, 01:59 PM
I know Niemenen can play some but I didn't really think he'd be as consistent as he has or make some of the shots he has.

Andre looks very lethargic though and I can't remember his shots lacking penetration like they have today for a long time.

It's not a hardcourt and just because he is Agassi doesn't mean he is going to win.

In other words you didn't think Nieminen had a chance at all.

KarstenBraasch#1
05-24-2005, 02:04 PM
Nieminen is even hopelesser.

JustmeUK
05-24-2005, 02:06 PM
Pretty much. I didn't rate Jarkko's chances at all if Agassi brought his A game. However Agassi is definitely not playing at his best and that leaves an opening for Niemenen.

The other thing is Agassi's shots looked to have way more penetration in Rome and the French is set up to be faster than Rome.

Still I'll back Agassi now it's 1-1 in sets.

KarstenBraasch#1
05-24-2005, 02:08 PM
The umpire is the hopelessest of them all. Agassi just served from sides the whole game. :o

Action Jackson
05-24-2005, 02:09 PM
Pretty much. I didn't rate Jarkko's chances at all if Agassi brought his A game. However Agassi is definitely not playing at his best and that leaves an opening for Niemenen.

The other thing is Agassi's shots looked to have way more penetration in Rome and the French is set up to be faster than Rome.

Agassi on clay is not Agassi on hardcourt even at his best.

Paris has never been quicker Rome not this year, Monte Carlo is the one that has the closest conditions to Paris in regards to speed of surface. They quickened RG up, but not to the level of Rome.

hythger
05-24-2005, 02:11 PM
Yes, Andre isn't playing at his best, but right now I think more foccus on his game. I f he can keep this up I'll bet he can go through... I mean I hope ;P

Experimentee
05-24-2005, 02:13 PM
Agassi is not hopeless on clay now. He did just reach the SF of Rome beating players like Gasquet. You guys are contradicting yourselves if you say Nieminen is a great player, yet Agassi should retire if he loses to him :rolleyes:

JustmeUK
05-24-2005, 02:15 PM
Agassi on clay is not Agassi on hardcourt even at his best.

Paris has never been quicker Rome not this year, Monte Carlo is the one that has the closest conditions to Paris in regards to speed of surface. They quickened RG up, but not to the level of Rome.

okay GW.. Agassi at his best on clay vs Niemenen at his best on clay? Who do u think would win? Not even close.

Action Jackson
05-24-2005, 02:15 PM
Agassi is not hopeless on clay now. He did just reach the SF of Rome beating players like Gasquet. You guys are contradicting yourselves if you say Nieminen is a great player, yet Agassi should retire if he loses to him :rolleyes:

When did I say Agassi should retire? The day he retires I'll be happy, but that's not the point here. Nieminen is not great, but he is not a muppet either.

Agassi is not that good on clay now he has had his time on that surface.

hythger
05-24-2005, 02:16 PM
I don't think Nieminen is a great player... he's ok..Andre was the one not playing at his best. But he is now!

Action Jackson
05-24-2005, 02:17 PM
okay GW.. Agassi at his best on clay vs Niemenen at his best on clay? Who do u think would win? Not even close.

Agassi's days of being good consistently on clay are long gone, it'd be like me saying that Muster, Corretja, Rios all would school Agassi on clay on their best days, but that was then and not now.

If Agassi loses will you go and make excuses?

JustmeUK
05-24-2005, 02:20 PM
of course not :). he lost to a better player. but u don't seem to want to give a straight answer :).

I'll make it easier. Agassi with his best present game on clay vs Niemenen at his best on clay? Who do u think? Not even close :).

the bottom line is Niemenen is like a poor man's Gonzalez.

Action Jackson
05-24-2005, 02:23 PM
of course not :). he lost to a better player. but u don't seem to want to give a straight answer :).

I'll make it easier. Agassi with his best present game on clay vs Niemenen at his best on clay? Who do u think? Not even close :).

If you seriously want me to give you an straight answer to such an obvious question, I won't give you the satisfaction. We are dealing with the now and not then, but you seem to want to use it as an excuse to worship Agassi, when there is no need to.

You'll make excuses.

Billy Moonshine
05-24-2005, 02:25 PM
Agassi: RG champ 1999, runner up 1990,1991.
One of the all time greats on all surfaces. Good luck Andre! :)

JustmeUK
05-24-2005, 02:26 PM
defense rests :). prosecution doesn't even believe in his own case :)

n why would I bother to make excuses for anyone? I'm a firm believer of the best person on court on the day wins. I just don't see Niemenen winning it but if he does then fair does to him :).

Experimentee
05-24-2005, 02:28 PM
When did I say Agassi should retire? The day he retires I'll be happy, but that's not the point here. Nieminen is not great, but he is not a muppet either.

Agassi is not that good on clay now he has had his time on that surface.

The post wasnt directed at you, and anyway I am saying that if he can make the SF of Rome and beat Gasquet he is playing well on clay and shouldnt lose to Nieminen whos done nothing notable since his latest injury.

Rogiman
05-24-2005, 02:28 PM
Agassi: RG champ 1999, runner up 1990,1991.
One of the all time greats on all surfaces. Good luck Andre! :)

And a first round loser to Jerome (WTF) Haehnel last year :shrug:

Action Jackson
05-24-2005, 02:30 PM
defense rests :). prosecution doesn't even believe in his own case :)

n why would I bother to make excuses for anyone? I'm a firm believer of the best person on court on the day wins.

What crap are you going on about now? Ok, Agassi and Nieminen well since when has Agassi been playing his best tennis on clay? I mean just for this would Agassi beat Borg on clay at their best? You know the answer to that if the match was to be played in the present.

OK, you think Nieminen is a muppet and Agassi should win all the time, that's the impression and all the other stuff is just drivel.

Billy Moonshine
05-24-2005, 02:31 PM
Yes Rogiman, Agassi is a real conundrum!

Action Jackson
05-24-2005, 02:32 PM
The post wasnt directed at you, and anyway I am saying that if he can make the SF of Rome and beat Gasquet he is playing well on clay and shouldnt lose to Nieminen whos done nothing notable since his latest injury.

One good tournament in faster conditions against guys who are not at their best on the surface and had 1 very good win against Gasquet, the time he played an outstanding guy on the surface he lost. He is not rubbish, but he has won RG already and doesn't have the same desire to win there as the other events.

It'd be the same if it was a guy who had very good results on hardcourt, while being good on clay and then falling to one of the best on the surface.

JustmeUK
05-24-2005, 02:32 PM
so we are having this discussion because?? why am I even having this discussion?? LOL.

George.. u really make my day sometimes :). thanks :).

Rogiman
05-24-2005, 02:33 PM
Yes Rogiman, Agassi is a real conundrum!

Not at all, but refering to his past results on clay when he's no longer anywhere near that level is irrelevant.

Action Jackson
05-24-2005, 02:33 PM
so we are having this discussion because?? why am I even having this discussion?? LOL.

George.. u really make my day sometimes :). thanks :).

We are as bored as each other.

Billy Moonshine
05-24-2005, 02:37 PM
Rogiman, I actually do think he is a conundrum.
I'm not using his results as proof of his current ability on clay. I just posted them because I would like to see him do well at RG because of his history there, because maybe it's his last time. I wasn't involving myself in the spat going on, just posting good luck to AA.
Good luck Andre!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

Rogiman
05-24-2005, 02:40 PM
Rogiman, I actually do think he is a conundrum.

I have no idea what 'conundrum' means so I assumed it was meant with sarcasm.

Experimentee
05-24-2005, 02:41 PM
One good tournament in faster conditions against guys who are not at their best on the surface and had 1 very good win against Gasquet, the time he played an outstanding guy on the surface he lost. He is not rubbish, but he has won RG already and doesn't have the same desire to win there as the other events.

It'd be the same if it was a guy who had very good results on hardcourt, while being good on clay and then falling to one of the best on the surface.

He was playing well at Rome, he had good wins and it was close against Coria. You shouldnt complain about ppl making excuses when he loses when you are doing the same thing and making excuses when he has a good tournament.
He did have a bad clay season last year, but he was struggling with his hip problem and didnt have many matches. Ferrero had a bad clay season too but that doesnt mean he sucks on clay now, and Gaudio has had his bad losses on clay too.

Rogiman
05-24-2005, 02:43 PM
Gaudio has had his bad losses on clay too.

And there's another one waiting around the corner.

Billy Moonshine
05-24-2005, 02:46 PM
Rogiman, conundrum is when you can't figure something out. Like Agassi, the great record at Rg, the terrible losses. What's that all about? Maybe he knows with all his spirituality but when he was younger he didn't. Like Safin now, well he is such a conundrum that he can't even figure himself out at all and says so in his interviews! But I would check up on this meaning as maybe I'm wrong.
And please don't be so defensive! Not everyone on this board is out to make snide, sarcastic remarks and belittle people. Some of us come here to express our LOVE FOR TENNIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!

Experimentee
05-24-2005, 02:48 PM
Agassi should have won the 3rd set by now but he's missed all his break points in every game :rolleyes:

Rogiman
05-24-2005, 02:48 PM
And please don't be so defensive! Not everyone on this board is out to make snide, sarcastic remarks and belittle people. Some of us come here to express our LOVE FOR TENNIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!

Cheers, but remember -

No sarcasm = less fun ;)

mitalidas
05-24-2005, 03:35 PM
6-1 in the fourth for Jarko - think Agassi's running out of steam?
If so, that's amazing, given that "steam" was agassi's thing. Now 2-sets a piece and Jarko up a break in set 5

EDIT: Jarko up 2 breaks, 3-0, in the fifth

JustmeUK
05-24-2005, 03:39 PM
actually he looks like he's injured. his right hip has given out and he's merely playing it out. don't think he wants to retire in what is in all probablity his last FO.

robinhood
05-24-2005, 03:39 PM
Andre's hip....
No.... :(

MisterQ
05-24-2005, 03:40 PM
Agassi is in real pain, from all accounts.

mitalidas
05-24-2005, 03:41 PM
actually he looks like he's injured. his right hip has given out and he's merely playing it out. don't think he wants to retire in what is in all probablity his last FO.
oh .... if that's the case, it's really sad
and its admirable that he's holding out for himself/spectators

Rogiman
05-24-2005, 03:42 PM
Geez, and I was waiting for Andreev to do the job in the next round :confused:

name_change
:sobbing:

Fumus
Well...he was playing poorly b4 anyways, hopefully he can do something on grass.

ServeAlready81
05-24-2005, 03:44 PM
It's the errors that are really costing him the match. I've never seen Agassi make so many errors.

hythger
05-24-2005, 03:47 PM
me neither...
it's over :sad:

mitalidas
05-24-2005, 03:49 PM
he may not have recovered in time for the grass tuneups

I hope he has a last hoorah somewhere.... it would be so weird to see him retire after losing some first round match or earlier round match

Fumus
05-24-2005, 03:49 PM
If Andre pulls it out, it could only build his legend ;)

mitalidas
05-24-2005, 03:51 PM
roddick must be happy his "path to the Final" has cleared up :lol:

Neely
05-24-2005, 03:52 PM
A sad end for Agassi because due to physical reasons he couldn't give 100% like he wanted to. I was surprised he kept on playing even if he could hardly move in the fourth and fifth set. But this showed this match meant a lot to him and he didn't want to end it by retirement.

This probably inevitably closed his chapter for the French Open :sad:

Fumus
05-24-2005, 03:52 PM
Oh, yea cuz either one of those guys were going to make it that far.

Billabong
05-24-2005, 03:56 PM
Andre:tears: poor him, he was really hurting:sad:

mitalidas
A sad end for Agassi because due to physical reasons he couldn't give 100% like he wanted to. I was surprised he kept on playing even if he could hardly move in the fourth and fifth set. But this showed this match meant a lot to him and he didn't want to end it by retirement.

This probably inevitably closed his chapter for the French Open :sad:

I was surprised too
But I am impressed, and have a larger measure of respect for him
This place gave him one of the few unique achievements in tennis and he probably feels he owes it to the tournament, the spectators, etc. to finish it through

I thought it was a little odd of Jarko to celebrate quite exuberantly (hands over eyes etc) despite seeing that Agassi was having injury problems

JMG
I'll watch the tape soon. :banana:

Injury or not, I'm sure that now also the guy in the Agassi Forum knows that Jarkko can play on clay.

babsi
05-24-2005, 03:57 PM
Sorry to see Andre lose :(
probs to him for going through with the match till the bitter end - was somewhat sad to watch :( - he was in real pain.

uNIVERSE mAN
05-24-2005, 04:02 PM
The guy's body is falling apart. Those hip problems never go away once you get them.

Puschkin
05-24-2005, 04:04 PM
The guy's body is falling apart. Those hip problems never go away once you get them.

then retire on time. I never was a particular fan of his, but he is (was) a great player who does not need to end his career in humiliation and pain.

Deejay
05-24-2005, 04:07 PM
That was painful to watch...I turned off from the match at a set all thinking Andre was playing better and the chances were high that he would go on and close out the match...but i turn on at the start of the fourth set and he can barely run around the court becuase of an injury!

For those who watched the entire match - at what point did andre injure the hip? was it after the tie break or before?

Anyway it is sad to see him go out early again but it was clear that him playing on clay is kind of a lost cause for him...with him being the age that he is playing on slow clay courts is almost pointless...on any other suface he is class but on clay forget about it.

Hopefully the injury isnt too bad and I would expect him to play Queens and hopefully wimbledon...If he is fit for Wimbledon he has a good shot at the title...not nearly as many threats to him on a grass court compared to clay...

mitalidas
05-24-2005, 04:09 PM
For those who watched the entire match - at what point did andre injure the hip? was it after the tie break or before?

it became obvious around the early part of the 4th

Neely
05-24-2005, 04:21 PM
Agassi today beat the mark of 57 Grand Slam appearances set by Michael Chang, Ivan Lendl, Jimmy Connors and Wayne Ferreira.

jmp
05-24-2005, 04:27 PM
Deejay, Andre is in a live press conference right now. He says that the weather caused it to stiffen up and there was nothing he could do about it worsening. I think in the 2nd set they showed him trying to stretch it on the sly in a change over. He says he's going to get a medical review and try to continue with cortizone (sp) shots. The reporters are trying hard to dance around the 'r' word and fit the question in some how.

NYCtennisfan
05-24-2005, 04:37 PM
As much as people want to hate on this great champion, he played until the end even being injured. He could've retired at say 3-0 or 4-0 in the fifth. I don't think I've ever rooted for Agassi except a few times against Sampras, but I rooted for him today.

musefanatic
05-24-2005, 07:12 PM
Huge respect for the guy, not retiring. I felt so sorry for him. He's a true champion. Congrats to Jarrko Nieminen today though. I was quite impressed with what I saw from him. Very powerful serve on him!

Domino
05-24-2005, 07:16 PM
His serve used to have more motion and fluidity. I wonder if he changed it because of his wrist injury, but wasn't it on his right hand?

NYCtennisfan
05-24-2005, 07:22 PM
His serve used to have more motion and fluidity. I wonder if he changed it because of his wrist injury, but wasn't it on his right hand?

Interesting observation. If you watch his match against Federer at the AO, he was serving very well and quite fluidly.

*Ljubica*
05-24-2005, 07:23 PM
Huge respect for the guy, not retiring. I felt so sorry for him. He's a true champion. Congrats to Jarrko Nieminen today though. I was quite impressed with what I saw from him. Very powerful serve on him!

I'm with you musefanatic. As I said in the other thread on this topic, I am not an Agassi fan - never have been - but he was genuinely injured and he could easily have retired - but he showed guts and class to carry on to the end despite the humiliating scoreline.

I was at the match - from what I could see the pain began to really bother him just before the third set tie-break.

JMG
05-24-2005, 07:24 PM

Fortunately, it was his right wrist.

Today his 1st serve was really good looking. But I wasn't happy to see his 2nd serve sometimes around 110 Km/h.

musefanatic
05-24-2005, 08:08 PM

I don't think he has served right handed cos he is a lefty. He also tore his abdominal muscles before which I'm sure hasn't helped. I never realised he has been world number 27 before! That's pretty good to get in the top 30 for someone who is only 23!! :)

JMG
05-24-2005, 08:23 PM
I don't think he has served right handed cos he is a lefty. He also tore his abdominal muscles before which I'm sure hasn't helped. I never realised he has been world number 27 before! That's pretty good to get in the top 30 for someone who is only 23!! :)

Yes, in his last French Open, he was seeded. :D

musefanatic
05-24-2005, 08:32 PM
Thanks JMG. :) I never realised how good a player he was as I have never seen him play before. I've only just heard about him. Who is he playing next?

Sjengster
05-25-2005, 12:18 AM
Andreev.

Jogy
05-25-2005, 12:22 AM
Today his 1st serve was really good looking. But I wasn't happy to see his 2nd serve sometimes around 110 Km/h.
pathetic second serve, not with enough depth too
even 16 year old girls serve harder
he must improve that or he will get OWNED on second service

or do you thinks he was afaraid of wind and normally it is better?

Experimentee
05-25-2005, 03:49 AM
Andre :sad:
This hip problem is becoming a chronic thing and it may be the injury that forces him to end his career.
I'm sure the Agassi haters will be saying that this proves that he cant play on clay, but obviously he did well just to stay on court. The place means a lot to him and he just couldnt walk away and possibly end his RG career with a retirement. Its too bad because he had a nice draw and could have reached the semis. My faves are exiting this tournament at a rapid rate so far :sad:

AZILANA
05-25-2005, 04:13 AM
again, what a disappointment, I even glimpse andre shedding a few tears before the last game in the fifth set, very sad, I hope the cortisone injection works form him again, i really wanted to see him play again, not many players could hold a candle against him in terms of class, dedication and professionalism...

athina7
05-25-2005, 04:21 AM
Very hard to watch Andre like that. :sad: That's all I can say...

tinuviel_estel
05-25-2005, 04:37 AM
again, what a disappointment, I even glimpse andre shedding a few tears before the last game in the fifth set, very sad, I hope the cortisone injection works form him again, i really wanted to see him play again, not many players could hold a candle against him in terms of class, dedication and professionalism...
i totally agree!

Action Jackson
05-25-2005, 07:29 AM
He was playing well at Rome, he had good wins and it was close against Coria. You shouldnt complain about ppl making excuses when he loses when you are doing the same thing and making excuses when he has a good tournament.

Coria was a comfortable winner and as for making excuses stating the obvious when it came to Rome or are you going to dispute that the players he played there were not at their best on clay, next it will be that he has never had an easy draw at RG. Did he beat the players in front of him yes, did he take advantage of the fortune, yes he was good enough to do so and good for him.

He did have a bad clay season last year, but he was struggling with his hip problem and didnt have many matches. Ferrero had a bad clay season too but that doesnt mean he sucks on clay now, and Gaudio has had his bad losses on clay too.

Not the same thing Agassi hasn't been a serious threat on clay ever since he won RG. One good tournament doesn't make them a superstar and neither does one bad tournament make them a muppet.

You seem to think Agassi on clay is the same as Agassi on a hardcourt, it's not the same player or has ever been. He knows where his strengths are and playing on clay isn't one of them.

Action Jackson
05-25-2005, 08:05 AM
Good to see Nieminen's victory getting devalued and he should have won the match in 3 sets, but such is life.

Agassi kept going and as it was a Slam he didn't want to retire, but I want to see how bad the injury actually is. He's not the only player on the planet to have kept going when obviously in pain during a Slam, but cause it's Agassi it's just better PR than when another player does it.

Shirogane
05-25-2005, 09:36 AM
and he should have won the match in 3 sets, but such is life.

Were you referring to Agassi ? If so, that's what i was actually thinking... Had he kept the lead in that first set (at 3-0 or even 5-5), he would have won in straights.

Action Jackson
05-25-2005, 09:42 AM
Were you referring to Agassi ? If so, that's what i was actually thinking... Had he kept the lead in that first set (at 3-0 or even 5-5), he would have won in straights.

I was not actually not refering to Agassi, but since Agassi can not do a thing wrong at all I might as well be refering to him.

Shirogane
05-25-2005, 10:13 AM
Well that's not what i meant... And surely Nieminem can run and play on clay. It wasn't an easy 1st round match at all for Andre... Anyway,

Agassi wasn't playing so well in that first set,

He might have gotten injured later in the tournament,

I don't see him beating Coria on clay.

I just hope he'll be able to play Wimbledon.

musefanatic
05-25-2005, 10:36 AM
pathetic second serve, not with enough depth too
even 16 year old girls serve harder
he must improve that or he will get OWNED on second service

or do you thinks he was afaraid of wind and normally it is better?

I agree with you on that. It wasn't a brillliant second serve. Agassi came well in over the baseline to return it.

Action Jackson
05-25-2005, 11:22 AM
Well that's not what i meant... And surely Nieminem can run and play on clay. It wasn't an easy 1st round match at all for Andre... Anyway.

There were people disgusted at the fact that Nieminen was on the same court as Agassi and yes Nieminen did lead 4-2 in the second after he settled down in taking the first.

He might have gotten injured later in the tournament. I just hope he'll be able to play Wimbledon

He'll do everything he can to play Wimbledon, but the collective wank about Agassi won't stop.

iliketennis
05-25-2005, 01:21 PM
A fantastic win for Jarkko Nieminen. No one can take this victory away from him with pointless comments. Jarkko is building up his game and will probably play much better with this victory under his belt.

Kristen
05-25-2005, 02:24 PM
GWH... Just found this.
http://www.ateenakisasivut.fi/ateena_2004_olympiakisat/finnish_team/tennis/

Obviously more updated than his ATP profile, which still has Rosengren as his coach, so I guess it's likely his dad is still coaching? Though, hopefully (nothing against his father) this Agassi match has sparked the attention of some people...
(http://www.atptennis.com/en/players/playerprofiles/Highlights/default.asp?playernumber=N289)

tennischick
05-25-2005, 02:27 PM
Andre :sad:
This hip problem is becoming a chronic thing and it may be the injury that forces him to end his career.
I'm sure the Agassi haters will be saying that this proves that he cant play on clay, but obviously he did well just to stay on court. The place means a lot to him and he just couldnt walk away and possibly end his RG career with a retirement. Its too bad because he had a nice draw and could have reached the semis. My faves are exiting this tournament at a rapid rate so far :sad:
ditto...

Neely
05-25-2005, 02:39 PM
Good to see Nieminen's victory getting devalued
Well, good to see also that you keep on doing the same with Agassi's career achievements on clay.

Deejay
05-25-2005, 03:37 PM
When Andre was in his early 20's and even teens he was one of the best clay courters in the world - just look at his record at roland garros. Even now when clay is not his best surface he can still produce quality results...eg...semi's at rome narrowly losing to one of the best players in the world on clay...gave Gasquet a tennis lesson on his own surface...not bad for a 35year old

Kristen
05-25-2005, 04:42 PM
Age holds all the aces to beat Rusedski and Agassi http://sport.guardian.co.uk/tennis/story/0,10069,1491481,00.html

There was never a huge likelihood that Greg Rusedski's French Open would extend much beyond the first couple of days, and so it proved when for the fourth time in his last five visits to Roland Garros he was beaten in the opening round yesterday.
Andre Agassi, so famously the champion here in 1999, had been expected to last a touch longer, but age and injury ran in cruel tandem to halt him too at the first hurdle.

There were no bows and no kisses to the crowd in the Philippe Chatrier stadium. The 35-year-old American propped himself up on the chair, attempting to ease the pain from his sciatic nerve, and waited for Jarkko Nieminen to complete his celebrations after his 7-5, 4-6, 6-7, 6-1, 6-0 win.

"Are you staying?" Agassi gently inquired as the Finn, a qualifier, beamed and skipped. In deference to Agassi's reputation and his obvious discomfort, Nieminen scurried to join him and they duly walked off together - or limped, in Agassi's case.

The problem had begun in the third set. Last year at this stage of the season he could barely compete because of what he then believed to be a hip injury. He lost three suc cessive first-round matches at St Polten, Roland Garros and Queen's, and then pulled out of Wimbledon. "We found out that the problem was coming from the back. I feel it in the hip but it's coming from the sciatic nerve."

Now, riding to battle on the point of a hypodermic needle, Agassi will surely find it increasingly difficult to continue beyond the end of this year, with the US Open a likely ending to what has been a extraordinary career.

The best-of-five matches in particular are more and more difficult to cope with, as was proved so graphically this year when he made a much- publicised return to the United States' Davis Cup team and was embarrassingly thrashed by Ivan Ljubicic of Croatia.

By the third-set tie-break yesterday the physical pain and the mental anguish were again intense and growing ever worse. He resolutely refused to chuck in the towel.

"I almost shook hands at two sets to one but I didn't want to walk off. There was nothing the trainer could do. I'd had a cortisone injection deep in the back a few months ago, but week by week I felt it becoming less and less effective."

At the Tennis Masters Cup in 2003, after he had lost to Roger Federer in his opening round-robin match, Agassi, then 33, openly discussed the age question. "I certainly don't feel handicapped by my age. I still feel like I'm moving well and hitting my shots. So, you know, they're not beating an old guy yet - at least as far as I can feel. If you see it differently, please tell me," he said then.

Now, at 35, there are increasing signs that although the mind may continue to be willing, the body is giving up the fight. Nobody wants to see such a great player's powers so severely diminished by injury, but for most of this year Agassi hasbeen a husk of his former self, even though, remarkably, he has retained his position in the top 10. This was his 58th grand slam tournament, which constitutes a record in the Open era, and it would be sad to see him linger too long.

"Tennis is what I do, and it's given me a lot. I'll assess the necessary things at the end of the year," he said. "But I can't afford to pollute the potential of my winning matches or tournaments with sitting on the fence, with where I am, what I'm doing or why I'm doing it. You just have to put your head down and work."

Rusedski knows all about back problems, as well as the insidious advance of age. He had his chances against Brazil's Flavio Saretta before losing 6-2, 7-6, 6-3, but his serve let him down at crucial moments, notably in the tie-break when he double-faulted serving for the set. It has been the story of his year, and is symptomatic of what happens to players as they enter the twilight zone of their careers.

Those, such as Agassi, who have been at the very top can perhaps hold on to their nerve a little longer than most. Those such as Rusedski find that the big, match-turning points begin to slip through their fingers with increasing regularity.

As he approaches his 32nd birthday the British No2 remains as upbeat as ever, reaching constantly for the positive, with never a backward glance, at least in public, at the negatives now littering his every footstep. The clay is gone, and the grass, he believes, holds promise of rejuvenation. For him and Agassi, false dawns abound.

Aleksa's Laydee
05-25-2005, 04:47 PM
excellent win :D

Shirogane
05-25-2005, 05:18 PM
He might have gotten injured later in the tournament

Or maybe not. The weather has been warm and sunny, much hotter than yesterday. They said it would be like this for the next three days... Andre, IMO could have survived the first week, had he managed to get through the first round. But then again, he wasn't able to do it. :sad:

Now, please get ready for Wimbledon.

Action Jackson
05-26-2005, 04:16 AM
Well, good to see also that you keep on doing the same with Agassi's career achievements on clay.

It gets the respect it deserves, he won a Career Slam how does that get devalued. You can do better than his Neely.