Isn't it time for Roger to get some damn ads on US TV? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Isn't it time for Roger to get some damn ads on US TV?

uNIVERSE mAN
05-24-2005, 03:52 AM
He needs to fire his publicist. Even steffi is constantly on television, how come the world #1 can't get a tv spot?

Tennis Fool
05-24-2005, 04:12 AM
Hey UM, good question. Here's an article about it in the NYT from Sunday...

May 21, 2005
Federer Is in Control, On and Off The Court
By CHRISTOPHER CLAREY
PARIS, May 20 - It was the Wednesday before the French Open and Roger Federer, the world's finest tennis player, was genially doing interviews and a photo shoot in a gilded hotel, with his girlfriend and his personal assistant by his side.

They happen to be the same woman: Mirka Vavrinec, a former Swiss player he has been romantically involved with since the 2000 Summer Olympics.

When he is home in Switzerland, Federer regularly sees his mother, Lynette, and meets with the coordinator of his charitable foundation, who happen to be the same person. And he spends time with his father, Robert, and with the man who negotiates his tournament deals and appearance fees, also one and the same.

Tennis has long been a family game, but Federer has extended the family connection beyond the kitchen table or the players' box to the boardroom. In the process, he is trying to take command of his career in a much more complete way than most of the world's leading athletes.

"I approve everything," Federer said, knowing that detachment from the commercial aspect of his sport has led some of his peers and predecessors to financial ruin. "You see and hear that and always wish that it's not going to happen to you, but you hardly ever have a guarantee, except, of course, if you really take it into your own hands like I did."

He has no agent, although he does have a lawyer and tax adviser based in Switzerland. Unlike some of his rivals, he requires no more than one courtesy car for his entourage to go from lodging to loge.

The decision to go it relatively alone, made in early 2003 - after his agent, Bill Ryan, left the International Management Group - dovetails neatly with Federer's independent streak. The same character trait allowed him to put together one of the finest seasons in tennis history in 2004, without the services of a formal coach. He has hired Tony Roche on a part-time basis this season.

Top agents, who would like nothing better than to change Federer's do-it-himself approach to personal finance, contend that his decision is costing him millions. They also say that it is costing them millions, because some of his sponsorship deals, including one with Nike, were signed for far less than his market value. As a result, he is making it harder for their clients to receive what they deserve.

"If you add it all up, Maria Sharapova is probably making over 20 million bucks a year in off-court sponsorship deals, and Roger is not even close to that," said one agent, who did not want to be named because he did not want to spoil any chance of working with Federer in the future.

"As far as I can determine, he's not even close to making 10 million off court, and you're talking about potentially the greatest tennis player ever."

But on the top floor of a hotel Wednesday - with the Eiffel Tower and the tree-lined Champs-Élysées for a backdrop - Federer, who made more than $6 million in prize money last year, sounded like a star at peace with his career moves.

"I think the thing that makes me feel good is that I am taking decisions by myself, and I used to hate taking decisions," he said. "And I think that is also what has helped me to maybe even become a better player and to become a better person, more of a grown-up person."

After Ryan split with I.M.G. in 2002 and Federer was unable to keep working with him because of contractual restraints, Federer considered hiring another agent or management company. "I finally said, 'I think we should try to handle things on our own for a while,' " he said. "We is my parents and my lawyer and Mirka, and we started to help each other out, and suddenly we thought, 'It seems like we can handle this.'

"Of course we had to be more into it, to speak more, to make sure things happen quicker, make sure you are well organized. You can imagine. For this, I wasn't prepared in the beginning, and there were times, of course, where you think, 'If I would have known that,' or, 'Oh, man, I wasn't planning on coming back to Basel to sort things out and decide on a few business things.' "

But, Federer said, he feels more comfortable having control of all his dealings.

"I feel you use a different part of your brain; you have to think more in the future and in a different way," he said. "I think it's kind of a good balance sometimes to get away from the tennis and talk business for a while."

The arrangement is not without complications, particularly when the woman he wants to spend more time with is occupied with his business.

"In the beginning, sometimes we had issues where I think that, and she thinks this, and we're like 'O.K., let's not fight,' " Federer said, referring to Vavrinec. "At least if we fight about it, and we forget about it after, then we can cuddle each other, so it doesn't really make a difference. By now, it's no problem, but in the beginning, like in Wimbledon for that first time, you go through those times when she's so exhausted and is maybe irritated a little bit, like I was."

The Wimbledon he was referring to was 2003, when Federer won his first Grand Slam title. It was indeed a big spike in the learning curve for him and Vavrinec, whose career had already been cut short by a leg injury. She was already coordinating Federer's travel and his media and sponsorship obligations.

"There was this big boom, and everybody wanted so much from us," Federer said. "To be caught off guard, it was interesting."

Federer has since hired a firm based in Germany to handle some of his communication needs. His mother continues to answer all his fan mail and e-mail messages, but her main responsibility is the Roger Federer Foundation, which was established in December 2003.

"When Roger was starting to earn good money, his father and I said, 'We think it's a good thing you give back a bit of your own fortune to those who are less advantaged,' " Lynette Federer said in a telephone interview.

Federer's father is Swiss, but his mother was born and reared in South Africa. They met when Robert Federer was working in Johannesburg for a Swiss pharmaceutical company. Although they eventually settled in Basel, a small city near the French and German borders, they have maintained strong ties with South Africa. Roger was first taken there when he was 3 months old, and returned frequently as a boy, so Federer's foundation begin its charitable work there.

In connection with an organization called Imbewu, a word that means seed in the Xhosa language, Federer's foundation is now paying for the schooling and meals for hundreds of children in New Brighton Township, near the city of Port Elizabeth. He traveled there in March, skipping the first round of Davis Cup play for Switzerland. And like many top tennis players, he has also been active in fund-raising for Asian tsunami relief.

"Sometimes with a little time, you can create an unbelievable amount of money or a lot of happy faces," he said.

But some people are still frowning over Federer: the many men who cannot beat him and the many agents who cannot join him.

Dirk
05-24-2005, 04:50 AM
I guess he wants it this way. Still he is accessible to some degree. Companies can just contact his parents and set something up. I hope he gets the deals he deserves because he is someone who can bring interest into the sport based on the sport not sex on legs like Maria. :rolleyes:

tennischick
05-24-2005, 04:57 AM
being a fiercely indpendent person myself, i understand where he is coming from. but i am not the #1 player in the world. at some point he's probably going to have to fire his girlfriend. i hope their relationship is strong enuf to survive that.

Dirk
05-24-2005, 05:02 AM
Roger has said he doesn't care too much about money. If he is content with his current sponsors and doesn't want to devote more time to others then I don't see a change. He will never fire Mirka unless he dumped her. I would love to see Roger get more ads because the ad companies could do so many things in their ads with him. Oh well. :sad:

Watching Maria's Canon commerical does get on my nerves. I do keep asking myself "Where is Roger's commerical deals at"? This article answered that so Thanks Fool.

Chloe le Bopper
05-24-2005, 06:14 AM
I guess he wants it this way. Still he is accessible to some degree. Companies can just contact his parents and set something up. I hope he gets the deals he deserves because he is someone who can bring interest into the sport based on the sport not sex on legs like Maria. :rolleyes:
To be fair, Maria is one of the best female players right now :p She's not just a set of legs. Even if that is the main reason she gets the deals. And I don't even like her.

tennisace
05-24-2005, 12:06 PM
Maybe he just doesn't want to be a human billboard.

martinatreue
05-24-2005, 12:10 PM
Where is the praise for his charity work in Africa? Isn't that WAY MORE IMPORTANT than him amassing millions? :rolleyes:

euroka1
05-24-2005, 12:24 PM
Ethically, the best charity is anonymous charity. High profile charity tend to corrupt the giver. Federer is a better person for acting the way he does.

Shy
05-24-2005, 12:54 PM
Roger has said he doesn't care too much about money. If he is content with his current sponsors and doesn't want to devote more time to others then I don't see a change. I would love to see Roger get more ads because the ad companies could do so many things in their ads with him. Oh well. :sad:

I am pretty sure that a lots of compagnies have approach him. Even none casual tennis players know about him. I think that he doesn't care about having more sponsor.

BiancaUL
05-24-2005, 12:58 PM
Ethically, the best charity is anonymous charity

Not necessarily.

If a celebrity loans their image, as well as giving financially, it can raise the profile of the cause. Anything that draws more people to giving is the best charity.

Roos
05-24-2005, 01:04 PM
i feel obligated to say i saw roger in a commercial of nike; he made a shoe into a box or the other way around. maria sharapova was also in that commercial and i enjoyed it very much when i first saw it, that is, the federer part.

mitalidas
05-24-2005, 01:21 PM
Roger doesn't have much US exposure, but he's done quite a few ads in Europe
Inlcuding Wilson, Nike, "Emmi" (yogurt :rolleyes: ), and Lacroix

Who are we trying to kid? Being a great player is a necessary condition to getting those gigs, but it is not a sufficient condition. Serena with her Serene slam had so few highprofile ads, same for Lindsay and same for Navratilova; Maria, with one slam, has so many.

This is about looking the way Madison avenue perceives good looks and whose loud behavior will sell more things

RogerRocks
05-24-2005, 01:41 PM
"Emmi" (yogurt :rolleyes: )

that was a weird ad. :rolleyes: I didn't like it

Fumus
05-24-2005, 01:52 PM
To be fair, Maria is one of the best female players right now :p She's not just a set of legs. Even if that is the main reason she gets the deals. And I don't even like her.

Those legs help Maria win every match. ;)

Gonzo Hates Me!
05-24-2005, 03:32 PM
I don't think Americans care whether or not Roger Federer is on our TV commercials. If they don't care whether or not Andy is, I really doubt they care whether or not Federer is. So... who cares. We'd rather see Eva Longoria in Pepsi ads! :lick:

uNIVERSE mAN
05-24-2005, 03:34 PM
Don't speak for all americans Guga, trying to make us look like sex crazed morons.

uNIVERSE mAN
05-24-2005, 03:35 PM
us = U.S.

Gonzo Hates Me!
05-24-2005, 03:38 PM
Sex sells though... maybe that's why Maria got commercial deals like that, because she is a hot, sexy athlete who has redeemed her good looks with good results... it's nothing to be in denial about

tangerine_dream
05-24-2005, 03:54 PM
I doubt Roger's interested in shilling for American products because if he were, he would've done it by now. He's busy enough with the european ads. Besides, I like the fact he hasn't been Americanized yet. :)

This subject reminds me of an article I read recently in Tennis magazine about which tennis stars have the It factor and which don't.

mitalidas
05-24-2005, 03:57 PM
I doubt Roger's interested in shilling for American products because if he were, he would've done it by now. .

well its not entirely his choice
He needs offers in the first place and we dont know if he has received any/many

athie
05-24-2005, 03:58 PM
Thanks for the article scan tangie :hug: - Adore the av! m00

Dirk
05-24-2005, 04:08 PM
Roger probably doesn't want to commit to many deals because it would me less time for himself and his family plus friends. Roger has said he doesn't care about racking up tons of money. Roger is all about the glory.