Egalite [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Egalite

the cat
05-23-2005, 05:58 PM
It's time for the 2005 French Open! :tennis: Egalite is my favorite French word. :) And Good luck to the players. :D

tennischick
05-23-2005, 06:00 PM
and did you know that the English "love" came from a mispronunciation of the French "l'oeuf" (as in "egg")? :)

the cat
05-23-2005, 06:04 PM
Hi TC. :wavey: :kiss: I knew you would respond to this thread. You usually do here and at WTA World. ;)

And no TC I didn't know that English "love" came from the mispronunciation of the French world "l'ouif". :confused: How did you know?

alfonsojose
05-23-2005, 06:48 PM
My favorite is "couchez avec moi" :drool:

mitalidas
05-23-2005, 06:49 PM
Isn't it ironic that "Love" came from the French for egg

but the only Slam at which it is said "ZERO" and not "love" is the French Open

mitalidas
05-23-2005, 06:53 PM
yes, tennischick i did know about the origin of "love"

I did not know (but learned more recently) that DEUCE again, comes from French - from " a deux" requiring two successive points to be won

The French being the French, of coure Deuce is used EVERYWHERE except at the FO, where EGALITE (fraternite...liberte...?) must be used :rolleyes:

Roos
05-23-2005, 06:55 PM
liberté, egalité et fraternité.
freedom, equality (not quite sure how to say it in english...) and brotherhood.
it was the slogam during the french revolution. i was very suprised when i heared it for the first time at roland garros.

the cat
05-23-2005, 07:24 PM
I'm not surprised Alsonso. ;)

Thanks for the info Mita.

And well said Roos.

tennischick
05-23-2005, 09:02 PM
And no TC I didn't know that English "love" came from the mispronunciation of the French world "l'ouif". :confused: How did you know?
who said anything about "l'ouif"? :p

i learned this from TTC when i should have been studying. i am quite fed up of studying as you can well imagine :mad: i'd tell the books to "eat cake" but they wouldn't get it ;)

the cat
05-23-2005, 11:32 PM
Oops I spelled l'ouif wrong. :o ;)

Hmmm TC, I bet you can watch the TTC and avoid your studies and still do well on your exams. :D :hatoff: And that's not easy.

I thought about getting TTC but have avoided getting it so far in part because I seem to be content with the amount of tennis I see.

Bonjour TC. ;)

RogerRocks
05-23-2005, 11:46 PM
Isn't it ironic that "Love" came from the French for egg

but the only Slam at which it is said "ZERO" and not "love" is the French Open

they say Zero because they speak french, just as they say Null in german tournaments. They only say Love in tournamets where english is spoken, don't they?

mitalidas
05-24-2005, 12:55 AM
they say Zero because they speak french, just as they say Null in german tournaments. They only say Love in tournamets where english is spoken, don't they?

didn't they say "love" in Halle and Hamburg?

Regardless, it is ironic that Deuce and love came from the French practice in tennis, and its not used at the FO

the cat
05-24-2005, 01:00 AM
That is ironic Mita. Good point.

Nikki♥
05-24-2005, 09:07 AM
My favorite is "couchez avec moi" :drool:

:drool: I actually understand that. Go me!

RogerRocks
05-24-2005, 02:51 PM
didn't they say "love" in Halle and Hamburg?

in german tournaments they say each point in german and then again in english. So "40-0" is being spoken "Vierzig-Null...Fourty-Love" :)

the cat
05-24-2005, 06:28 PM
Princesa!, I don't understand what Alfonso said in French. :confused: But I'm sure it was something X-rated. :eek: ;)

Thanks for the German tournament information, RogerRocks. Ja.

liptea
05-24-2005, 06:33 PM
I love French. :inlove: It's just so beautiful.

Alfonso said (the English equivalent)- sleep with me.

the cat
05-24-2005, 08:13 PM
Thanks Liptea. You are so bilingual. :)

Adman
05-24-2005, 08:52 PM
I think that French is a great language the woman who teaches me French is French!!

the cat
05-24-2005, 11:53 PM
That's the best way to learn French Adman. ;)

Nikki♥
05-25-2005, 08:47 AM
Princesa!, I don't understand what Alfonso said in French. :confused: But I'm sure it was something X-rated. :eek: ;)

The real X-rated French words and sentences can be found on the "Swearing in French" website that I have bookmarked. I haven´t gotten the chance to use them yet though. :o Fortunately, I´d say. :lol:

Nikki♥
05-25-2005, 08:48 AM
That's the best way to lean French Adman. ;)

If you are a guy, it might be a good way. But I´m a girl and a woman teaching me French would do nothing for me. It would be rather boring.

the cat
05-25-2005, 02:59 PM
I think it's fortunate you haven't yet improved your French swearing :eek: Princess Nicole. :) And with such a fine nickname as I've bestowed upon you let's keep it that way. :angel:

And I bet that in time you would get used to a woman French language teacher. ;)

the cat
05-26-2005, 04:12 PM
I've noticed over the years that when the score first goes to deuce at the French Open the chair umpire says something like quarante all but no egalite. But then the chair umpire always says eglaite with the second deuce. Does anyone know why that is?

Purple Rainbow
05-26-2005, 04:49 PM
Yeah, I noticed too.
The umpire just says 40-40 (quarante-quarante) at the first deuce and every following deauce is called egalité.
Why they do it? Well, they're French, that's why! ;)

the cat
05-26-2005, 05:06 PM
Good point Purple Rainbow. They are the French and they do things their own way. ;)