KarstenBraasch#1
05-23-2005, 04:01 PM
Just saw it on ES.

Denaon
05-23-2005, 04:03 PM
:lol: was it bad???

Dirk
05-23-2005, 04:04 PM
Not sure if it was intentional but Gaudio checked on him.

tennischick
05-23-2005, 04:04 PM
he hit him on the ear. it's all part of the game. Brad started comparing him to Lendl :lol:

Dirk
05-23-2005, 04:09 PM
Brad doesn't understand that Gaudio wears blue socks because that color blue is in his flag? :rolleyes:

tennischick
05-23-2005, 04:11 PM
Brad doesn't understand that Gaudio wears blue socks because that color blue is in his flag? :rolleyes:
i know! and he kept harping on it which was rather annoying.

Neely
05-23-2005, 04:25 PM
Poor Benneteau, I remember that last year in Toronto he tried to dodge (successfully) a rocket forehand "passing" shot of Roddick at the expense of a "stiff neck" (don't know how to call that actually, but it seemed to trouble him for the rest of the match and he got treatment for it) and now a similiar scenario with Gaudio, even much worse because Gaudio him quite hard with that shot. Roddick had an easy match with him from there on and the same way it is going now for Gaudio who was in trouble the first set.

Experimentee
05-23-2005, 04:33 PM
What was the point like? Was it an easy putaway that he could have hit anywhere, or was the best play to go for the head? :lol:

-caelestia-
05-23-2005, 04:34 PM
i know! and he kept harping on it which was rather annoying.

and it's hilarious to see a slamless wonder like him call anyone a one slam wonder

bcgpete
05-23-2005, 04:34 PM
go gaston

Angle Queen
05-23-2005, 04:53 PM
Certainly didn't look intentional to me.

Benneteau had chased a short ball into net and sent back another angled shot that Gaudio had to run for (on the forehand side). Benneteau was properly positioned for an anticipated cross-court return but Gaudio just ripped it and Benneteau couldn't react fast enough. The minute Gaudio hit it...he was checking on Benneteau.

:rolleyes: no way was that shot (or Gaudio) anything like Lendl.

Fee
05-23-2005, 04:56 PM
Gaston might have been able to put that particular shot anywhere, but it was hard for me to tell. It almost looked like he was going for an extreme angle and simply misjudged it, ended up clocking Julian square on the temple. Or, he could have been aiming for a body shot.

Is Gaston going to be called the same names that Andy was last year (for a shot that missed) or will the MTF GM double standard apply here?

(and yeah, Gilbert should shut the hell up. ick).

adelaide
05-23-2005, 04:58 PM
poor Benny. he always gets hurt somehow. I don't think it was intentional.

Julien reminds me of Ivo Karlovic so much it's creepy

TennisLurker
05-23-2005, 05:00 PM
from another board:

"Brad says that Gaudio aimed for Benneteau but last year Roddick didn't at TMS Canada."

Gonzo Hates Me!
05-23-2005, 05:04 PM
Is Gaston going to be called the same names that Andy was last year (for a shot that missed) or will the MTF GM double standard apply here?

Oh silly, the double standard will stand!

TheBoiledEgg
05-23-2005, 05:06 PM
who gives a damn what Brad thinks
David Wheaton should have decked him years ago :rolleyes:

As for Gaston........ hitting the Weasel is far from easy though :tape:

TennisLurker
05-23-2005, 05:06 PM
I wouldnt be surprised If I discover I called Andy Beast from hell, or Crossed eyed monster, after the Benneteau incident last year.

Daniel
05-23-2005, 05:11 PM
Vamos Gaston :D :yeah:

tangerine_dream
05-23-2005, 05:14 PM
Poor Benneteau, I remember that last year in Toronto he tried to dodge (successfully) a rocket forehand "passing" shot of Roddick at the expense of a "stiff neck" (don't know how to call that actually, but it seemed to trouble him for the rest of the match and he got treatment for it) and now a similiar scenario with Gaudio, even much worse because Gaudio him quite hard with that shot.
Note that the same group of people screaming for Roddick's head after that incident last year are the same group who shrug off Gaudio's murderous attempt as merely being "part of the game". :lol:

CooCooCachoo
05-23-2005, 05:15 PM
Gaston apologized for this at the net, after match point ;)

Choupi
05-23-2005, 05:16 PM
It hasn't been intentional at all. But it certainly knocked the poor Julien to a certain extent, given that he's lost the following 9 games after that incident! :rolleyes: I'm just wondering why nobody started a similar thread when Gaston's been hit in the face by a big shot from Volandri in Rome? At least, Gaston has shown he was concerned and made excuses. I hope Volandri has seen this match... :devil:

tennischick
05-23-2005, 05:25 PM
It hasn't been intentional at all. But it certainly knocked the poor Julien to a certain extent, given that he's lost the following 9 games after that incident! :rolleyes: I'm just wondering why nobody started a similar thread when Gaston's been hit in the face by a big shot from Volandri in Rome? At least, Gaston has shown he was concerned and made excuses. I hope Volandri has seen this match... :devil:
oh yes i forgot all about that. you could tell that that one hurt as well.

Benneteau should get himself checked out to be safe.

alfonsojose
05-23-2005, 05:38 PM
Gaudio is an asshole :boxing: :shout: :mad: ;)

Neely
05-23-2005, 05:40 PM
Note that the same group of people screaming for Roddick's head after that incident last year are the same group who shrug off Gaudio's murderous attempt as merely being "part of the game". :lol:
LOL, you're right, I remember very well ;) Don't you know that Gaudio is the nice, cute, friendly, likable and ah-so very talented Argentine and Roddick is the ultimate dislikable, disrespectful American jerk who has no game and who only has a boring serve as his weapon?! :confused: :rolls:

Seriously now, IMO neither Roddick nor Gaudio seemed to aim their shots intenionally towards their opponents' head and it's just bad for Benneteau that he was involved into another scene like this about that people talk/that people noticed (could have happened on court #9283 and nobody would talk about it by now).

alfonsojose
05-23-2005, 05:40 PM
Filipo :o , i'm pretty sure it wasn't intentional ;) This is not Volandri-hotness related at all :angel:

Choupi
05-23-2005, 06:59 PM
Filipo :o , i'm pretty sure it wasn't intentional ;)
I'm not as sure as you, having seen that match. But, as I'm a nice person, I'm gonna reach a compromise, thinking it wasn't... ;)
This is not Volandri-hotness related at all :angel:
That's where we will never fight for a guy...I'm still searching for Volandri's hotness... ;)

KarstenBraasch#1
05-23-2005, 07:01 PM
Just saw it again. Pretty intentional, or at least avoidable. But as long as it helps to win ...

jasmine(usa)
05-23-2005, 08:10 PM
i know! and he kept harping on it which was rather annoying.:lol: My msn message was...SHUT UP, BRAD! I wish he'd hurry and find a player to coach.....:)

ServeAlready81
05-23-2005, 08:15 PM
He was aiming at him, but not at his head. It's a smart tennis tactic to aim the ball right at your opponent. That's the game. He was apologetic afterwards.

ServeAlready81
05-23-2005, 08:16 PM
:lol: My msn message was...SHUT UP, BRAD! I wish he'd hurry and find a player to coach.....:)
:worship: He is the epitome of a BONE HEAD. Albeit a great coach, he really is a scathing commentator.

Lady
05-23-2005, 08:24 PM
While it seemed unintentional to me, just a little mention that French crowd booed Gaudio for that! ;) Not everyone in the crowd, but booing was quite heard! ;)

MariaV
05-23-2005, 08:34 PM
Seriously now, IMO neither Roddick nor Gaudio seemed to aim their shots intenionally towards their opponents' head and it's just bad for Benneteau that he was involved into another scene like this about that people talk/that people noticed (could have happened on court #9283 and nobody would talk about it by now).

Yeah, although Gaston could have placed it differently it certainly wasn't intentional (to his head I mean) and Gaston checked on him immediately and apologised so no reason for a major discussion here.

uNIVERSE mAN
05-23-2005, 08:37 PM
Gaudio playing mind games.

Gonzo Hates Me!
05-23-2005, 09:30 PM

I agree that it is neither the fault of Roddick or Gaudio. Maybe Benneteau's head is just too big?? I am sure they have head reduction surgeries these days. He should look into that

tennischick
05-23-2005, 10:00 PM
who did the Duck bean last year? i don't remember. which tourney was this :shrug:

kartveteran
05-23-2005, 10:10 PM
It seems Eurosport really likes to replay that point in slowmotion over and over again.
It looked really painful to me. That ball crashed straight onto his right ear. Could have caused an eardrum perforation if he was unlucky.

robinhood
05-23-2005, 10:13 PM
who did the Duck bean last year? i don't remember. which tourney was this :shrug:

Last year at Toronto. First Round. Julien Benneteau. After that shot, JB could hardly play any more.

Skyward
05-23-2005, 10:27 PM

Either Toronto, or Cinci.

People saw and heard different things

1. Roddick never apologized
2. Roddick apologized at the net
3. Roddick apologized after the match
4. Roddick appologized at the press conference
5. Roddick' ll do do everything to win, even commiting a murder. :p

Scotso
05-23-2005, 11:54 PM
I like Gaston, but it was intentional. He could have hit that ball anywhere, but he hit it HARD right at Julien. Not cool.

That was at 5-5 and Julien only won one game after that. Poor guy.

Needless to say, the crowd wasn't pleased with Gaston and that may hurt his cheering section for the rest of the tournament.

guida
05-24-2005, 12:09 AM
Needless to say, the crowd wasn't pleased with Gaston and that may hurt his cheering section for the rest of the tournament.

Good.

DanEd
05-24-2005, 01:42 AM
it was not intentional at all. Gaudio can have many weaknesses bue he is a fair and respectful player :) .

jole
05-24-2005, 02:16 AM
Reminds me of when Gaudio was trying to hit Gimelstob at the Australian Open this year. I just could not contain myself!

tennischick
05-24-2005, 04:27 AM
so this is the second time in 2 years that Benneteau got beaned? dayum, he'd better get an MRI. fast.

Kristen
05-24-2005, 04:34 AM
lol it was so intentional. Gaudio used telekinesis to make Julien turn slightly so it'd hit him straight in the scone :haha:

Seriously though, I was unimpressed with this, even if it was unintentional and Julien couldn't get out of the way quick enough. Gaston, do something good, quickly, so you don't make your back onto my "can't stand the bastard!" list. :angel:

Experimentee
05-24-2005, 05:06 AM
Getting hit by the ball is all part of the game, and I'm sure they can all take it and there are no hard feelings. A lot of the time the best play is to hit it at the body, and its not their fault if the opponent cant get out of the way fast enough.

Action Jackson
05-24-2005, 05:23 AM
Reminds me of when Gaudio was trying to hit Gimelstob at the Australian Open this year. I just could not contain myself!

It's Gimelstob so it doesn't surprise me.

Action Jackson
05-24-2005, 05:26 AM
Nothing wrong with that, it seems some people don't remember Muster, Lendl and Stich they always did that and it's the easiest way to win the point in that situation. Gonzo did it to Hewitt to last year and it's part of the game and if they can't handle it or agile enough to get out of the way that is their own fault.

Action Jackson
05-24-2005, 05:32 AM

You wouldn't admit it even if Roddick had deliberately aimed at Benneteau and no you are not exempt from the double standards either.

As I said with the Gonzo/Hewitt at the WTC that it's part of the game and the easiest way to win the point and that goes for all players.

CooCooCachoo
05-24-2005, 06:53 AM
I like Gaston, but it was intentional. He could have hit that ball anywhere, but he hit it HARD right at Julien. Not cool.

That was at 5-5 and Julien only won one game after that. Poor guy.

He could not have hit it anywhere. He could have aimed more for the line, but he didn't manage to do that, so it became a direct hit. There were only two options: down the line or in the body.

Scotso
05-24-2005, 09:23 AM
Coo, if he had no control over the ball he would not be a top ten player and Roland Garros champion. He could have hit the ball a lot of differen't places.

And you say that he had two options... down the line or in the body. If that's true, then he chose to go after Julien.

Action Jackson
05-24-2005, 09:24 AM
Easiest way to win the point, it was not going out to injure another player.

iliketennis
05-24-2005, 09:48 AM
Anything that helps Gaston win can't be that bad ;)

CooCooCachoo
05-24-2005, 09:48 AM
Coo, if he had no control over the ball he would not be a top ten player and Roland Garros champion. He could have hit the ball a lot of differen't places.

And you say that he had two options... down the line or in the body. If that's true, then he chose to go after Julien.

I do think he went for the body intentionally, but I do not think he meant to hit Julien. There really were only two options, and if you want the point, you go for the body in such a case. You'd expect someone to be able to get a racquet in front of the ball though.

And if you have seen the point, you would know that down the line and on the body were the only two realistic options. Cross court would be stupid, lobbing would be retarded and I really do not see any other options.

jasmine(usa)
05-24-2005, 10:25 AM
:worship: He is the epitome of a BONE HEAD. Albeit a great coach, he really is a scathing commentator.:lol: I agree! His new name Brad 'the bone head' Gilbert!

Shabazza
05-24-2005, 10:25 AM
Easiest way to win the point, it was not going out to injure another player.
exactly if one goes to the body, the opponent isn't able to fully control the ball with his racket, which means most of the time a certain point - and that's what Gaudio most likely thought - he wasn't goinig for his head but for his body, though he did a slight mistake and that was the result - but definitly no intention to injure or even hit Benneteau imo

jasmine(usa)
05-24-2005, 10:40 AM
Easiest way to win the point, it was not going out to injure another player.GWH, I think this explains it's it PLAIN and SIMPLE! :)

In no way was the shot meant to hurt Julien. :rolleyes:

Action Jackson
05-24-2005, 11:25 AM
GWH, I think this explains it's it PLAIN and SIMPLE! :)

In no way was the shot meant to hurt Julien. :rolleyes:

Come on people love drama don't they? There wasn't anything in that and if they want to see a deliberate attack of an opponent in this regard, they could always watch old Lendl tapes, but I could be just a hypocrite for saying this and full of double standards.

Angle Queen
05-24-2005, 11:43 AM
:fiery:

Shame on ESPN. A full damn day of tennis...and they put this "play" in their Top 10. Gimme a break.

jasmine(usa)
05-24-2005, 12:26 PM
Come on people love drama don't they? There wasn't anything in that and if they want to see a deliberate attack of an opponent in this regard, they could always watch old Lendl tapes, but I could be just a hypocrite for saying this and full of double standards.Yes, they do! Isn't everyone a hypocrite, and full of double standards? That's what the world is all about! ;)

Action Jackson
05-24-2005, 12:29 PM
Yes, they do! Isn't everyone a hypocrite, and full of double standards? That's what the world is all about! ;)

Yes, that is right.