James Blake qualifies for Roland Garros [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

James Blake qualifies for Roland Garros

tennischick
05-23-2005, 04:32 AM
PARIS ˇ James Blake, the former Harvard All-American living in Tampa, came back from a slow start to defeat Tomas Cakl of the Czech Republic 2-6, 6-1, 6-1 Saturday and qualify for the main draw of the French Open, which begins Monday. :D :)

It was Blake's 13th consecutive win, though 10 have come as he won two Challenger titles in Mississippi and New York, and three in the French qualifying.

Blake, now ranked 132, and former U.S. Open junior champion Meilen Tu were the only Americans to qualify.

Lindsay Lee-Waters and Brian Vahaly both lost last-round qualifying matches Saturday.

Federer confident

Roger Federer now has reason to believe he can master the grueling surface here and join Andre Agassi as the only active men to win all four majors.

Along with his No. 1 seeding, the 23-year-old Federer comes into the French with his confidence high following his title on similar red clay courts in Hamburg last week, where he beat France's Richard Gasquet 6-3, 7-5, 7-6 (4) in the final. Low key by nature, a realist from experience, Federer does not suffer from low expectations.

"Honestly, I don't see it being such an unbelievably tough draw," he said. "I'm not worried playing anybody.

"I'm confident I can do it. If I won't ever do it, this will only show at the end of the career. You have to be a little patient."

A career Grand Slam, especially in this era of deep fields, is a testament not only to extraordinary tennis talent but extreme versatility -- winning on grass, hard courts and clay. Only five players have accomplished the feat: Agassi on all three of those surfaces; Fred Perry, Don Budge, Rod Laver and Roy Emerson in the days when the Australian, Wimbledon and U.S. Nationals were on grass and the French was the lone major on clay.

ServeAlready81
05-23-2005, 04:50 AM
Congrats James.

Lindsay nooooooo. I was hoping to hear that infamous grunt of hers if she got to play in a televised match. That match she had with Sharapova at the AO was funny...and LOUD.

I don't remember Federer talking so confidently before. I like it. Hope it doesn't go to his head though, because he's such a great guy.

Deboogle!.
05-23-2005, 04:50 AM
James :yippee: :yippee: :yippee: :yippee: :yippee: :yippee: :yippee:

robinhood
05-23-2005, 05:30 AM
James!
What a nice guy.
I wish him all the best.

And Lee-Waters vs. Sharapova at AO.
Goodness, that WAS really loud from the beginning to the end.
In Mary Carillo's words, that match was all about "noise and poise."

superpinkone37
05-23-2005, 06:39 AM
James! :banana:

azmad_88
05-23-2005, 07:21 AM
who will blake playu?

jmp
05-23-2005, 08:20 AM
Thanks for the article, TC. :)

Congratulations, James! :bigclap:

savesthedizzle
05-23-2005, 09:20 AM
James!! :yeah:

Fi-Fi
05-23-2005, 12:18 PM
who will blake playu?

:banana: Go James! Go James! Go James! (im very excited):woohoo:
oh yea, and i have a copy of the first round draw and having already checked and rechecked the matches of my faves i can tell u that James is playing Tomas Tenconi of Italy

MissMoJo
05-23-2005, 06:38 PM
:woohoo: :woohoo:

Fumus
05-23-2005, 06:45 PM
yay James!

Rocketta
05-23-2005, 11:52 PM
Congrats James! There is a good article in People magazine about him this week!

:bounce: :aparty: :bounce: