How well do you reckon Gaston will do defending his title? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

How well do you reckon Gaston will do defending his title?

JCF
05-22-2005, 08:46 PM
Not much mention of the defending champion here....

How do you guys reckon he will do?

Sjengster
05-22-2005, 08:58 PM
He has a very makeable draw up until the 4th round, then comes the Frog, and we all know the fiasco that occurred in their last encounter in Rome. Gaudio obviously has the edge in GS and RG experience, and overall he has a 3-1 record (heck, he beat the Frog a couple of weeks prior to that in Barcelona), but that will be a tough test for the defending champion - I suppose Novak or Mantilla could push him a little in the third round. After that comes Nadal in the quarters, and depending on how the latter is playing and what physical level he is at, he would have to be the favourite for that match. At the moment Gaudio has crashed all the way to no. 11 in the world with all his RG points knocked off; admittedly people like Coria will most likely defend their points and go higher than him, but he's not going to tumble into anonymity whatever happens.

mitalidas
05-22-2005, 09:00 PM
He will lose to Nadal in the Qfs (or wherever they meet)
Even though he could take on Nadal, the pressure of defending and Nadal's nothing-to-lose swinging will do him in

Bonaventure
05-22-2005, 09:06 PM
If you asked me a couple of months ago I would've said he'd go far. But I'm not sure what has been happening lately. Bagelled by Nadal, taking 1 game off Ferrer, then losing to the likes of Rochus and Haas has surprised me. I'm not sure if he's had 1 eye on defending this title, I'm sure he's getting a little nervous.

Hard to say, it almost wouldn't surprise me if he lost to Benneteau in the 1st Round, and on the other hand it wouldn't surprise me if he went all the way again.

Skyward
05-22-2005, 09:07 PM
I want to see him fighting like Costa did a couple of years ago.

Chloe le Bopper
05-22-2005, 11:58 PM
Hopefully he handles the pressure and finds his way into the second week. I would like to see him make the QF - if he doesn't play Nadal there, perhaps I'd like to see him go further.

Until he plays a match or two I don't want to make any actual predictions.. hence my entire post being based on what I wish for rather than objective analysis. ;)

robinhood
05-23-2005, 12:01 AM
Will beat Nadal at quarters then
lose the semis to Federer.

tangerine_dream
05-23-2005, 12:21 AM
annoyance/

Does anyone even care about Gaudio? He's not even considered one of the "Big Three" to win this thing: it's either Nadal Nadal Nadal (understandable), Coria (understandable) or Federer (um. okay?).

Talk about a slap in the face.

/annoyance

sigmagirl91
05-23-2005, 12:27 AM
I think he'll go far, but he won't defend.

Lucas Arg
05-23-2005, 03:22 AM
I cant take Gaston out of competition, specially on clay. He is very focused so I think he can do it again, if not for sure he will reach the QF o SM.

Lucas Arg
05-23-2005, 04:16 AM
I want to add this, Gaudio won 2 straight titles on clay this year. Buenos Aires and Viña del Mar.

Gonzo Hates Me!
05-23-2005, 04:52 AM
Does anyone even care about Gaudio?

No! :D

Lucas Arg
05-23-2005, 05:18 AM
annoyance/

Does anyone even care about Gaudio?
/annoyance

Yes, I do :wavey:

CooCooCachoo
05-23-2005, 07:02 AM
Early exit.

Experimentee
05-23-2005, 07:15 AM
He'll probably get to the quarters, but he will probably lose to Nadal if the latter continues to play as he has been all season.

Neely
05-23-2005, 07:23 AM
I think he will do well and even if he meets Ferrer, it's again a new match and Ferrer was horrible himself beginning mid-way the 2nd set in his match against Mayer in the World Team Cup last week and was nothing compared to the performance that made him reach the semis in Rome. Okay, you could say "Spain didn't want it, WTC is only an exhibition...". True, we don't know how much Ferrer came to play, but with Gaudio's draw I can hardly see him losing before the quarters. I think/hope he is not going all the way, but if he can show his best he would be of course capable of doing so.

When watching the our vBookie odds (these odds are supposed to be near the real ones with real bookmakers, right?!) it's also interesting to note that Gaudio seems to be not very well respected in his position as defending champ. He is priced so much more higher than Coria, Nadal, Federer who never won it. I don't have any numbers to compare with earlier champs, but that looks like bookmakers rate him (one of) the biggest defending champ underdog in history. Sure they like to set their odds based on current form (Nadal, Coria, Federer all won the big events on the road to Roland Garros or did very well in them), popularity, hype, etc., but it's still not fair.

Anyway, having said that, choice #2 is my selection.

Plastic Bertrand
05-23-2005, 08:17 AM
annoyance/

Does anyone even care about Gaudio? He's not even considered one of the "Big Three" to win this thing: it's either Nadal Nadal Nadal (understandable), Coria (understandable) or Federer (um. okay?).

Talk about a slap in the face.

There are a few that care about Gaudio, it is probably the fact the manner that he won the title last year makes it easy for him to be dismissed, not that I agree with that.

Plastic Bertrand
05-23-2005, 08:20 AM
If Gaudio does not allow the weight of the world on his shoulders to weigh him down, he can do well, that being said it will be very difficult for him to win it again, as long as he loses like a man and fights hard that is good, it would be very sad if a defending champion lost 1, 1 and 1 for example.

Scotso
05-23-2005, 12:57 PM
"He'll do quite well but won't defend"

Turkeyballs Paco
05-23-2005, 02:22 PM
I would say, who knows with Gaudio. Anyway, I hope he defends! Good luck to him!

Skyward
05-23-2005, 03:27 PM
I just hope he'll escape Myskina's fate. :ignore:

TennisLurker
05-23-2005, 05:09 PM
still alive