Russian Federation Cheering Thread [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Russian Federation Cheering Thread

drf716
01-19-2003, 12:45 PM
Hey Russia...win this again will you?

TheBoiledEgg
01-23-2003, 10:29 PM
good luck boys !!!!!!!!!!!

just go and defend your title in style :D :)

maratski
01-24-2003, 06:33 PM
Davai Marat and the rest.

vaiva
01-26-2003, 03:26 PM
The official website of Davis Cup says the following:

"Czech Republic vs Russia

Russia have elected to name Marat Safin in their team even though he may not be fit in time for the tie due to a wrist injury sustained at the Australian Open. The hero of the 2002 Final, Mikhail Youzhny, has also been chosen, along with the yet-to-retire Yevgeny Kafelnikov and Nikolay Davydenko, the winner in Adelaide at the start of the year."

Sorry to break the news to you, but it seems that now we have to worry about staying in the World Group rather than defending the title.

According to another board, the Russian commentator (Metreveli) confirmed that Marat will not be playing against the Czechs (S. Tarpischev said so) :mad:. I haven't seen any official confirmation in the Russian press so far but as soon as something pops up, I'll post it here.

We need at least an in-form Zhenia and Misha badly.

maratski
01-26-2003, 05:15 PM
Thanks for the article.
Something inside me tells me that Marat will play, cause he wants the cup to stay in Russia

drf716
01-28-2003, 09:08 AM
Marat will not play but his mere presence will boost Russia's confidence. Pressure is then loaded to Misha.

Jessi
01-28-2003, 09:24 AM
I'm scared! :( I sure hope they'll be able to beat the Czechs.

Good luck boys!

Davai Roosia! :bounce::bounce::bounce:

Jessi
01-28-2003, 09:32 AM
Here's another article:

Safin named in Russia's Davis Cup squad

AFP

MOSCOW: The 2000 US Open champion Marat Safin has been
named in Russia's Davis Cup squad for their first round tie against
the Czech Republic in Ostrava from February 7 to 9, Russia's
skipper Shamil Tarpishchev said on Monday. Tarpishchev said that
though Safin's appearance was in serious doubt due to the wrist
injury, which forced him out of the Australian Open earlier this
month, Safin's mere presence would boost morale.

Russia's skipper also included Mikhail Youzhny, who won the
deciding rubber in last year's final with France, Sydney Olympic
champion Yevgeny Kafelnikov and this year's Adelaide ATP event
winner Nikolai Davydenko.

The match will be Russia's (or Soviet Union's) 100th Davis Cup tie.

vaiva
01-28-2003, 09:36 AM
pfffffff Jessi, you are quicker than me (as always) :D

I deleted my message to avoid double posting.

Marat - the cheerleader :D ;)

vaiva
01-29-2003, 09:35 AM
Official nominations of teams are already on the DC site.

Russia:
Yevgeny Kafelnikov
Mikhail Youzhny
Nikolay Davydenko
Igor Andreev
Captain: Shamil Tarpischev

The captain said in his interview that Marat will not play. His injury is more serious than expected. He will need at least another 2.5 weeks to recover, then he'll need to regain his form - all in all, he is sidelined for a month :mad:. Regarding Zhenia: he is not in the best form :sad: and he'll need 2-3 months to recover his physical condition.

Misha is already training on clay. #3 will be Davydenko. Regarding #4 - a young player will be taken as an alternate, although he will not play.

Not the best news, unless Tarpischev is playing an old fox :D

TheBoiledEgg
01-30-2003, 10:30 AM
no Marat :sad: :sad:

Zhenya has to perform good :)
Misha too :)

at least we got a chairwarmer who isn't Stoliarov :)
we could do with Alex Bogomolov (US :mad: )

Bubble
01-30-2003, 05:05 PM
This time Russia really needs Yevgeny to play well!

GO Russia!
you still can win against the Czech without Marat!

:bounce:

TennisHack
01-30-2003, 06:17 PM
from CNNSI:

Matisse stunned by French qualifier

Posted: Thursday January 30, 2003 11:15 AM

MILAN, Italy (AP) -- Fifth-seed Yevgeny Kafelnikov qualified for the quarterfinals of the $380,000 Milan Indoor ATP tournament by defeating young Dane Kristian Pless 6-4, 6-3 in a second-round match Thursday.

Kefelnikov, a semifinalist in last year's edition of the competition and a Milan champion in 1995, held command of play and collected the points he needed in the key moments on the match on carpet at IOL arena.

The 28-year-old Russian, one of the eight players in Open era to win 25 singles and 25 doubles title, broke the unseeded Dane in the 10th game, to take the first set, and again in the second game of the second set to move 2-0.

On 5-4, Pless missed three break points. Then Kafelnikov rallied to 40-40, served one ace and won the match on an unforced error of the opponent.

Kafelnikov, who underwent vein surgery in his calf following Russia's triumph against France in the 2002 Davis Cup final, said he felt strong again after the operation.

"The operation went very well .... Before that I felt weaker. Now I'm trying to put myself in top shape. I have no goals for the season at the moment. I play because I like to play," he said, refusing to comment on his long rumored decision to retire.

Kafelnikov was included in the Russian team for the 2003 Davis Cup but the player said he was unlikely to play, not even the doubles.

Dina
01-30-2003, 07:40 PM
eh??????????!

Jessi
02-03-2003, 09:11 AM
GOOOOOOO RUSSIA!!! :bounce::bounce::bounce:

kazblah
02-05-2003, 05:12 AM
Good luck Russia! :D :bounce:

Bubble
02-05-2003, 07:42 PM
All the best Russia!

KFS
02-05-2003, 09:46 PM
I believe Misha will play two singles matches......

For Zhenya... He may play one singles match and the doubles match....

And leave the remaining reversed singles match to Nikolai......

It's gonna be a tough first round challenge for the Russian.... But they will make it!!!! :D

mimay
02-05-2003, 11:55 PM
RUSSIE!!!!!
MIKHAIL YOUZHNY!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce::bounce: :bounce:

Jessi
02-06-2003, 07:25 AM
We're Underdogs, Says Russian Davis Cup Chief

BY GENNADY FYODOROV
Reuters

MOSCOW - Russia's tennis chief says his team will be the underdog in defense of its Davis Cup title against the Czech Republic.

"We're definitely the underdogs in this tie," Tarpishchev, president of the Russian tennis federation and their Davis Cup captain, told Reuters in a telephone interview Tuesday from Ostrava, the site of the first-round world group tie.

"Taking into account everything that has happened to us in the last few weeks, the Czechs must be considered big favorites. They are playing at home, their doubles team also looks much stronger than ours," Tarpishchev said.

"But most of all, we've been heavily handicapped by (Marat) Safin's injury. It threw all our preparation off track."

Last week, 2000 U.S. Open champion Safin pulled out of the Feb. 7-9 tie after injuring his left wrist at last month's Australian Open.

In his absence, Davis Cup hero Mikhail Youzhny will lead the Russian team which also includes former world number one Yevgeny Kafelnikov and newcomers Nikolay Davydenko and Igor Andreyev.

Youzhny won the decisive singles match last December when Russia won their first Davis Cup with a dramatic 3-2 victory over holders France in December.

Playing as a substitute for Kafelnikov, the 20-year-old came from two sets down to beat Paul-Henri Mathieu, 3-6, 2-6, 6-3, 7-5, 6-4, in Paris.

Kafelnikov, 28, who has shelved his plans to retire after helping Russia win the Davis Cup, last week reached the ATP tournament final in Milan, where he lost to Dutch qualifier Martin Verkerk.

"Both Youzhny and Davydenko are looking fine, but unfortunately Kafelnikov is far from his best," Tarpishchev said. "He still needs a lot more conditioning under his belt to be a threat on clay. But we're running out of time here."

Asked who would be given the nod to play the singles, Tarpishchev said: "I'm not going to put all my cards on the table just yet. We still have a couple of days to get ready."

Bubble
02-06-2003, 05:38 PM
Mikhail Youzhny, hero of last year's final against France in Paris, leads the Russian team in the Davis Cup by BNP Paribas World Group first round tie against the Czech Republic in Ostrava.

"But I am not the number one in our team. Marat Safin is not here because of his injury, but we still have Yevgeny Kafelnikov in the team. I am number one only for the first day," explained the world No. 27 after the draw ceremony, where he found out he had to play the second match on Friday against Radek Stepanek, currently ranked No. 55. "I beat him in Doha in two sets but it was really a bad match from Stepanek.”

Although being nominated as the team's number one for the first time in his career, Youzhny was not the main focus of attention at the draw ceremony. The nomination of Nikolay Davydenko, currently ranked No. 62, to play singles on day one was the biggest surprise.

The expectations were that Milan finalist Yevgeny Kafelnikov would be team leader, but the decision of captain Shamil Tarpischev was different. Davydenko would play the singles and Kafelnikov, together with Youzhny, was nominated for doubles against one of the tour’s most experienced pairings, Martin Damm and Cyril Suk. The Czechs are set to make only their second Davis Cup appearance together after a gap of eight years.

"I have to thank Tarpischev for nominating me. I am in a team for the first time and I should play a match. It is a big honour for me," said Davydenko.

But changes can still be made to nominations for Sunday's matches. “The fact that Yevgeny is not playing on Friday doesn't mean that he will not play on Sunday. We can still change a nomination," Tarpischev said. The Russian captain chose Davydenko, the winner of this year's tournament in Adelaide, for singles a few days ago, before the Russian team arrived in Ostrava on Monday.

"I don't feel healthy enough to play three best-of-five sets matches," said Kafelnikov, the only player who remembers the last match between Russia and Czech Republic in St Petersburg in 1994, when Russia won 3-2. "It was a tough match and this one will be very similar.”

Kafelnikov’s nomination only for doubles surprised his Czech opponents. Czech captain Robert Krechler said: “I knew about the possibility of Davydenko playing singles but I wasn't thinking much of it. But it is true that Kafelnikov was not the best Russian in a practise."

In Friday’s opening singles rubber, Davydenko will face world No. 10 Jiri Novak. The 2002 Australian Open semifinalist said: "I didn't think that Yevgeny wouldn't play at all. He was there practising with the team whole week. He is not a kind of player coming for a Davis Cup tie without playing in it. Maybe he is not in a good shape, maybe he doesn't believe in himself, who knows. But I still think that the Russian team is the favourite."

TennisHack
02-06-2003, 05:48 PM
So, just as he predicted, Zhenya is not going to play singles (at least on Friday).

Davydenko is 11-18 on clay for his career, and 5-9 indoors. So this could be very, very interesting . . . .

drf716
02-08-2003, 05:14 AM
Czech Republic 1 1 Russia
R1 - NOVAK (CZE) def. DAVYDENKO (RUS)
6-4 4-6 6-1 6-1
R2 - YOUZHNY (RUS) def. STEPANEK (CZE)
3-6 7-6(8) 6-7(6) 6-2 6-3
R3 - DAMM / SUK (CZE) vs KAFELNIKOV / YOUZHNY (RUS)
R4 - NOVAK (CZE) vs YOUZHNY (RUS)
R5 - STEPANEK (CZE) vs DAVYDENKO (RUS)

Q: if Russia loses this one, will they not have another chance for 2003?

Jessi
02-08-2003, 08:42 AM
Good luck for the doubles tomorrow!

GO RUSSIA!

mimay
02-08-2003, 09:19 AM
:( without safin the team isnt complete :(

:wavey: :wavey: WIN AGAIN MIKHAIL!!!!! :WAVEY: :bounce: :wavey: :bounce: :wavey: :bounce:

Bubble
02-08-2003, 11:41 AM
This is a very very tricky tie. We still can't determine who can win....

But really hope Russia will get thru this.... then , the next round they will be the favourite when Marat is back.

Go Russia!

Bubble
02-09-2003, 08:24 AM
:D
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20030208/capt.1044727051czech_republic_davis_cup_jpra101.jp g

Jessi
02-09-2003, 10:16 AM
great pic! Thanx Bubble :D

Good luck Misha today! You can do it! :bounce:

GO RUSSIA!

KFS
02-09-2003, 12:43 PM
Did Zhenya change his mind???

I just looked at the scoreboard and found out the 4th rubber is going to be Kafelnikov vs. Novak!!!! :eek:

What happen to Misha??? :confused:

Go Zhenya!!! Let's bring Russia to the victory today!!! :bounce:

Jessi
02-10-2003, 12:33 AM
YES!

well done Nikolay! :bounce:

Congrats Team Russia!!! :D :bounce: :D

Jessi
02-10-2003, 12:34 AM
Davydenko Arranges Russia's Trip to Argentina with Dramatic Victory

Russia has begun its quest to defend the Davis Cup title in the best way and Nikolay Davydenko is the new Russian tennis hero. Davydenko, ranked No. 62 on the Entry Ranking, won the decisive fifth match of the Davis Cup by BNP Paribas World Group first round tie between Czech Republic and Russia when he beat Radek Stepanek, ranked No. 55, 16 76(4) 62 36 60.

The match was pretty important for both competitors, each playing the Davis Cup for the first time in their careers. "I am really very happy because this is one of the biggest days of my career. This tie was broadcast to Russia so now everybody at home knows not only Safin, Kafelnikov and Youzhny but also me", Davydenko smiled. It was only his second five-set match and the first he had won. "But it was so hard, not only physically but psychologically. I knew that if I lose my team lose, too."

But it was the Czech player who had a better start to the match. Serving and moving well on the clay court, Stepanek didn't give his opponent many chances in the first set. But Davydenko played very patiently. He gradually played more aggressively and with more power, started to serve well and his forehand was his killer shot. "I was a little bit nervous before the match but not when I stepped on the court. I was just surprised how well Stepanek played in the first set," Davydenko said.

"I felt pretty good at the beginning of the match playing some of my best tennis," Stepanek said. "The important thing was that I didn't convert some break points in the second set." The Czech tried to make Davydenko run but the Russian’s down-the-line shots and targeted angles were too much for him. Stepanek lost the tiebreak of the second set and the next four games in a row. "Davydenko played some incredible shots at that time", he said.

After losing the third set, Stepanek started to play more aggressively, carving a 4-1 lead in the fourth set, and with the support of 5,000 noisy fans behind him he won the set, making Davydenko run with his use of dropshots. But the Czech No. 2 lost all his energy and courage in the deciding set. No longer taking risks, he couldn't succeed with Davydenko making hardly any mistakes towards the end of the match.

The 60 result of the fifth set was probably too cruel for the home team – all the Czech Republic’s losses in Davis Cup since 1998 have been in a decisive fifth rubber.

Russia will play the quarterfinals in Argentina and Davydenko is an optimist. "Everybody in Russia thinks that we don't have a chance but I don't agree. Together with Marat Safin and Mikhail Youzhny we are a pretty strong team although Yevgeny Kafelnikov doesn't want to play singles in Davis Cup any more.”

Jessi
02-10-2003, 12:37 AM
http://www.daviscup.org/shared/medialibrary/image/gallery/DC_1389_gallery.JPG

The Russian Team Celebrates victory over the Czech Republic

Jessi
02-10-2003, 12:39 AM
http://www.daviscup.org/shared/medialibrary/image/gallery/DC_1393_gallery.JPG
Nikolay Davydenko and Shamil Tarpischev (RUS) celebrate another last-gasp Russian victory

http://www.daviscup.org/shared/medialibrary/image/gallery/DC_1394_gallery.JPG
Davydenko revels in his victory over Stepanek

drf716
02-10-2003, 10:43 AM
YAY!!!

the cat
02-12-2003, 12:47 AM
What a great moment for Nikolay! He deserves it! To win the fifth and decisive Davis Cup match on the road is a great accomplishment! :bounce: Especially for a Davis Cup newcomer. Udachi Russia! :)