Davydenko wins St. Poelten title [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Davydenko wins St. Poelten title

tangerine_dream
05-21-2005, 08:49 PM
http://www.atptennis.com/shared/photos/180X250/davydenko_SPtrophy.jpg

Davydenko Captures First 2005 Title

Top seed Nikolay Davydenko became on Saturday the twelfth champion of the Internationaler BTM-Power Grand Prix in St. Poelten after claiming a three-set victory over local Jurgen Melzer.

The Russian needed two hours and 50 minutes to defeat the No. 4 seed 6-3, 2-6, 6-4 and recorded a second career win over the Austrian, whom he had previously defeated in Monte-Carlo earlier this year.

The Russian, who is currently ranked No. 10 in the INDESIT ATP 2005 Race, seemed to have the upper hand when he led 3-0 in the final set, but the lefty Austrian came back to 3-3. They then held serve until Davydenko took Melzerís serve in the last game.

No. 4 seed Jurgen Melzer was looking to lift a first career trophy in front of his home crowd. The Vienna native, who is turning 24 on Sunday, was playing in his first final of the year and second overall career final (Newport 2003), having reached the semifinals in San Jose and Houston earlier in the season.

On his way to the final Davydenko defeated Michal Mertinak, Sjeng Schalken, Felix Mantilla and Jose Acasuso while Melzer took care of Marco Mirnegg, Gilles Muller, David Sanchez and Christophe Rochus.

WHAT THE PLAYERS SAID:

Davydenko: It feels great to finally win a first trophy this year. This final was really difficult but I am feeling great at the moment and my confidence level is good which is the most important thing.

Before Roland Garros this is great for the confidence although it is a little bit hard physically. The day after tomorrow I could be playing my first round in Paris and it doesnít give me much time to celebrate and fully recover from this week.

I am off to Paris tonight, I will try to hit a few balls tomorrow in order to get used to the conditions and it would be great if I can get a Tuesday start over there.

Melzer: I am of course disappointed, it is never easy to lose in a final 6-4 in the third. I think I played a great match and Nikolay was just the most active player at the end and that was what made the difference in the match today.

I came back from 3-0 love down in the third set but unfortunately he didn't let me use the momentum and he played great tennis.

This is definitely a great week and a confidence boost before the Roland Garros but it also means a lack of fitness in Paris. I played many matches this week, a lot of three setters and both singles and doubles, it is a lot of matches. I am leaving to Paris tomorrow and I really hope I can get a Tuesday start over there.

------------------------

Congrats to Nikolay :hatoff: Jurgen, you blew it again :ras:

J. Corwin
05-21-2005, 08:54 PM
Davydenko finally gets to win this title, after a certain claymaster stopped him a couple years ago. :angel:

robinhood
05-21-2005, 08:58 PM
Give them the Tuesday starts!

ae wowww
05-21-2005, 09:12 PM
I always like to see those comments made by the players, very interesting, thanks. :)

Lady
05-21-2005, 09:44 PM
So it's 1st of the usual 2 titles per year for Nikolay! :)

-SaFiinsBabY-
05-21-2005, 09:46 PM
I was there and I have to say it was a great match - Jürgen you are great !!!!!! :woohoo:

Daniel
05-21-2005, 11:45 PM
Congrats :D :D

NYCtennisfan
05-22-2005, 12:33 AM
Good job Kolya. 2 really good weeks of tennis from him.

Kristen
05-22-2005, 05:50 AM
Jurgen, you blew it again :ras:
LOL none out of two aint bad;)

Awesome week for JM... congrats to Nikolay :yeah:

Rosa Luxembourg
05-22-2005, 12:32 PM
well done Nikolay :worship:

***Daniela86***
05-22-2005, 06:09 PM
Great Nikolay :bigclap: :bigclap: :bigclap: :yeah: :woohoo: I'm soooo happy for him :D :kiss: :worship: :worship:

NATAS81
05-22-2005, 06:11 PM
Well deserved.