"Mr. Germany" Tommy Haas wins to Gaudio 6-4 6-3!!!! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

"Mr. Germany" Tommy Haas wins to Gaudio 6-4 6-3!!!!

Jogy
05-21-2005, 12:59 PM
YES, THANKS TOMMY!!!!!!! COME ON!!!!

WHAT A GREAT MATCH!!!

Tommy Haas best match since long time! :)
:bounce:
straight sets to Haas, very good done!

Jogy
05-21-2005, 01:02 PM
great what talent and power Haas has when he plays like that, even on his worse court!

Gaudio was most of the match four meter behind the baseline and was running around when Haas was in the court smashing shots and winners to Gaudio left and right with nice ankles and topspin

avocadoe
05-21-2005, 01:08 PM
good for Tommy :) That will put Gaudio in foul humor, will probably blame Coria for getting the easier match up :)

gsm
mayer must be dreading having to play tommy at RG.

JMG
I think grass is still Haas' worst surface.

Haas wouldn't have a chance to beat Gaudio at Roland Garros. It was just another bad match from Gaston like his match against C.Rochus in Hamburg. Let's hope he will find his game for next week. :angel:
Now the Germans are even the big favourites to win the Cup. :lol:

JMG
05-21-2005, 01:10 PM
Does anyone know why the match of the no.1 players wasn't the first today?

zethand
05-21-2005, 01:11 PM
That was awesome!
Congrats TOmmy!

iliketennis
05-21-2005, 01:18 PM
Looks like Gaston is conserving energy for RG ;)

Haasfan
05-21-2005, 01:27 PM
thats the best ive seen Tommy play in a longggggggg time. He can play good on any surface if he applies himself.... I think Gaudio wasnt conserving energy.......... he was getting angry, smashing rackets.... he wanted to win.... therefore I think that Tommy needs credit for beating a good claycolter. He should do OK at RG, i just hope he can pull a few decent results over the next few weeks, im not expectin any wins, but its good to see him enjoying himself and smiling again

iliketennis
05-21-2005, 01:32 PM
I thought my winking smiley reaked of sarcasm :shrug:

YoursTruly
05-21-2005, 02:53 PM
I hope Gaston will still do well in the defense of his French Open

Neely
05-21-2005, 03:39 PM
Very well done for Tommy! :)
Way to beat Gaudio on a CLAYcourt! :yeah:

Of course Gaudio contributed to this loss because we have already seen him playing better, but also we have seen him playing worse than that this season. Haas did the right thing and when Gaudio was about to take over the match in the first set after Gaston trailed *0-3 and made that 4-3*, Tommy just kept the pressure high and didn't want to give Gaudio this first set and managed to stay in it with some good and brave play which was rewarded after saving break points he had the chance to break Gaudio at the end of the set and took it.

Haas looked very competetive in most rallies and it wasn't that Gaudio was toying with him.

Another prove that Gaudio still tried until the end was that Haas had to save three or four break points when trying to serve out the match at the end. This could have been a major turning point for the whole outcome, but Haas saved them and finally took his 2nd (?) match point for the win.

Haas wanted this one badly and majorly showed up in this match. Gaudio is overall the much better player on clay, but what counted for the result of this match was that Tommy's form this day was just better than Gaudio's and he raised to the occassion keeping Germany in this tie and playing great tennis for his team's hopes.

For my personal likings, I would liked to see Kiwi to win this singles match :angel: but okay, the team's success is most important for that and Kiefer lost against ToJo earlier this week and Mayer won against Ferrer on Friday. So it was fair to say that Mayer earned his place more, even more regarding that Kiwi lost to Coria in blowouts for five consecutive times.

with nice ankles and topspin
you probably mean "angles" :p

Jogy
05-21-2005, 04:20 PM
Haas showed Gaudio how to hit a REALLY good backhand for winners and shots that Gaudio have not could returned good enough. Backhand longline, there is no better way to kick Gaudio to make the field open.

I am happy Haas showed what demage he can do to everybody! No way Kiefer, Schuttler or Mayer win that match! Only Haas can do such for Germany!!!!!!!!! He has to find consistent for that and he will soon beats Federer again like in old times! :devil: :cool:

:yeah:

richard gasquet
05-21-2005, 04:21 PM
very impressive match! :)

one to look at roland garros ;)

Shabazza
05-21-2005, 04:51 PM
:yeah: keep the form for RG Tommy

I♥PsY@Mus!c
05-21-2005, 04:59 PM
Congrats to Tommy and Germany team! :woohoo::aparty::yippee:

NATAS81
05-21-2005, 06:04 PM
These team events mean absolutely nothing.

Billabong
05-21-2005, 06:20 PM
Gaston:confused:

Tommy:yeah: Awesome win, keep it up man:worship:

Neely
05-21-2005, 06:23 PM
Haas showed Gaudio how to hit a REALLY good backhand for winners and shots that Gaudio have not could returned good enough. Backhand longline, there is no better way to kick Gaudio to make the field open.
Somewhat right. Tommy's backhand today was since long time again somewhere near its prime. I often critisized him for not pulling this shot through enough with sufficient determination when he has the chance to go for a winner on his backhand (like against Pavel) and for me this is a matter of confidence, not ability. But he didn't hold back today and he did a good job alternating speed and spin on this side, especially in some nice backhand crosscourt rallies which clearly showed that these two guys have top one-handed backhands in the game and that they can do everything with this shot. Yes, there have been a few good Haas backhand longline shots that opened the field nicely and if Gaudio couldn't return the ball with enough pressure Haas followed his own shots to the net. Clearly, Haas woke up today and it was meant to a better day for him than usually during the last weeks and Gaudio couldn't show his topclass.

Also it was good to see that Haas often pulls through faster than Gaudio on his backhand motion. But when Gaudio is producing a very good backhand shot, he is going a bit more with his body into the shot and despite the comparably slower motion he can produce awesome power with his good control and making use of his (much) soft(er) string tension.

Jorge
05-21-2005, 06:53 PM
Congrats to Tommy and Germany team! :woohoo::aparty::yippee:
Ditto :yeah:

nermo
05-21-2005, 07:03 PM
Havent seen the match..But its good to hear that Haas played well..and yes i ve always liked his backhand...he can use it in a wonderful way when he s in the form of winning and having brains to do it..

But again..Gaudio is probably saving energy for RG...especially with his freaky feeling that he ,Canas and Chela were under the control of the wicked witch Coria who s trying to make them play and get himself a better rest...

Daniel
05-21-2005, 11:47 PM
Gaston :smash:

NYCtennisfan
05-22-2005, 12:32 AM
good for Tommy That will put Gaudio in foul humor, will probably blame Coria for getting the easier match up

LOL!

alexito
05-22-2005, 01:05 AM
tommy play very very good. for this, gaudio lose. if coria play vs haas, lose too.

Julio1974
05-22-2005, 05:59 PM
Gaudio,

Talk less, play better.