Breaking News...AR signs a footwear deal with Babolat [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Breaking News...AR signs a footwear deal with Babolat

sagroove
05-20-2005, 05:21 PM
Its OFFICIAL....my sources tell me that Andy Roddick will be endorsing Babolat footwear effective immediately. For all you doubters....there should be an official press release within the next 24-48 hrs.

I just got the word like 5 min ago. Babolat will be having an official footwear product launch in Las Vegas in the beginning of July and dealers will have the Bablotat model that Andy Roddick will be wearing shortly thereafter.

SAGroove

Deboogle!.
05-20-2005, 05:25 PM
Tennis Week mentioned this like 2 months ago.

Thanks though :) Glad to hear it's official. Those ugly blue Reebok pumps are ruining the Lacoste clothes. at least Reebok shoes are good quality, though. Hopefully Babolat makes good shoes.

Carito_90
05-20-2005, 05:25 PM
It doesn't stop, does it? :haha:

Fee
05-20-2005, 05:26 PM
Smart move by Babolat. It was Andy that helped them get exposure in the US in the first place, putting their shoes on his feet (and at Tennis Warehouse) will get them almost instant sales.

Deboogle!.
05-20-2005, 05:28 PM
Then he'll be outfitted in French stuff - from head to toe.... to racquet :p

the big bad American is going Euro on us :p:p

sagroove
05-20-2005, 05:36 PM

I think it is hilarious that AR is endorsing two French brands being that the French government and a majority of its citizens HATE the United States. Maybe AR endorsing Babolat and Lacoste will help French - American relations.

I wonder what GW Bush thinks about this? LOL :haha:

MissFairy
05-20-2005, 05:37 PM
i like the pumps :sad:

The commentators always talk about them too, Threllfall compared them to Elvis' blue suede shoes :lol: He said they were elegant, i nearly died

tangerine_dream
05-20-2005, 05:41 PM
I wonder what GW Bush thinks about this? LOL :haha:
Freedom shoes! :woohoo:

guida
05-20-2005, 05:47 PM

That could help him at RG... :lol:

Deboogle!.
05-20-2005, 05:47 PM
Freedom shoes! :woohoo:holycrapdeath!!!!!!!!!!!!

heya
05-20-2005, 06:00 PM
GWH chokes on his pretzel...his mommy Barbara did not babysit him. :bigcry: He neither walked without falling on his face (cut his pretty little lips) nor saw weapons of mass destruction (150 mph bombs, 80 mph smash in the kisser).

Fee
05-20-2005, 06:03 PM
Wow, I have no idea what the majority of French people think of the US. Must have missed an article somewhere...

{I really really really really hate generalizations like that. The current French government has a problem with the current US government, but NO ONE has any real idea how French citizens feel about American citizens and vice versa. Personally, I have no problem with any of the French people I have met in my lifetime. :D}.

guida
05-20-2005, 06:07 PM
In my day, French people, especially teens, used to worship everything American... things are very different now.

BiancaUL
05-20-2005, 06:10 PM
A lot of the French have issues with the US's foreign policy and some of our political "leaders," but they don't hate like the American people. They're much more open about the whole mess than some of our morons are.

At least in my experience.

Fumus
05-20-2005, 06:14 PM
Hopefully the shoes kickass but if it's anything like what Babolat has made before people will complain that the new light weight powerful shoes are changing the game and should be banned.

Fee
05-20-2005, 06:18 PM
I just read the press release over at the TW boards, and it mentions that the soles will be created by Michelin tire company. I almost fell off my chair laughing, oh the imagery...

surfpinky
05-20-2005, 06:23 PM
So, Andy will wear babolat shoes starting with Roland Garros, right? Can't wait to see them :D I've never seen babolat shoes.

Deboogle!.
05-20-2005, 06:25 PM
I just read the press release over at the TW boards, and it mentions that the soles will be created by Michelin tire company. I almost fell off my chair laughing, oh the imagery...:haha: :haha: That's FUNNY.

surfpinky, he's been wearing reebok shoes in practice. I think it'd be a bad idea to start wearing a new shoe for the first time in a competitive match

Fee
05-20-2005, 06:26 PM
Lyon, France -- May 20, 2005

NEWS RELEASE

For immediate release

ANDY RODDICK SELECTS BABOLAT TENNIS SHOES!

Babolat is pleased to announce that Andy Roddick will be wearing Babolat shoes starting in early 2006. Andy Roddick has been playing with Babolat racquets and strings since the age of 17.

"We are proud of our collaboration with Andy Roddick," says Eric Babolat, President and CEO of Babolat. "We have been with Andy since he was a junior. In 2003, he won the U.S. Open and became #1 player in the world. He also holds the world record for fastest serve at 155 mph. The fact that heís choosing to play with our shoes is an additional show of confidence in the excellence of our products."

Andy Roddick added, "Babolat has always been a great partner. They have believed in me from the first time they saw me play and have supported me ever since. Iím delighted to expand my partnership with this legendary brand."

Launched in Europe in 2003, Babolatís line of shoes, equipped with Michelin soles, was developed to meet the specific needs of tennis players:

<sum> "Exact, the Shoe Energizer" is a patented Babolat technology. It is designed for efficient and precise lateral movement and stability, and delivers unique energy transfer to rebound the player back to position.

<sum> Durability and traction are based on specially adapted soles for each playing surface thanks to an exclusive partnership with Michelin.

Chris Dawes, Managing Director of Michelin Lifestyle: "From our tires being used by the world's most renowned motorsports teams, to our tire technology now being used by one of the world's greatest tennis players. The fact Andy Roddick will be playing on soles developed jointly between Babolat and Michelin is real proof of success of this technology
partnership and the outstanding performance delivered through the technical contribution of Michelin".

These shoes have been extremely well received because of their innovative technology, their playing performance and their design. Babolat shoes will be available in Fall 2005 in the United States.

About Babolat
Inventor of tennis strings 130 years ago in France, today Babolat is one of the world leaders in tennis racquets. Distributed in over 100 countries, the Babolat brand provides players with a complete range of tennis equipment from racquets, strings and accessories to shoes and bags. Babolat is the #1 racquet & strings brand used by the Top 100 ATP & WTA players, including Andy Roddick, Carlos Moya, Kim Clijsters and Rafael Nadal, the rising Spanish star and favorite for the French Open.

Babolat Media Contacts: Robin Ashmore and Annie Coghill -- Tel 303.832.2700
robin@ameliecompany.com annie@ameliecompany.com

Deboogle!.
05-20-2005, 06:31 PM
:eek: it was posted at TW before sagroove posted it here. sagroove, tell your sources they're slacking :p

guida
05-20-2005, 06:32 PM
surfpinky, he's been wearing reebok shoes in practice. I think it'd be a bad idea to start wearing a new shoe for the first time in a competitive match

Absolutely. *shudders at the thought*

blosson
05-20-2005, 06:33 PM
So Babolat will officially be competing with the sports shoes giants like Nike, Adidas, Reebok...maybe Andy does not believe on Lacoste tennis shoes.:scratch:

surfpinky
05-20-2005, 06:34 PM
:haha: :haha: That's FUNNY.

oh, yeah :scared:
well nothing would suprise me now... :p

Deboogle!.
05-20-2005, 06:35 PM
from what I heard, no one, or very few, of the players who are sponsored by Lacoste wear their shoes. Grosjean and Gasquet both wear nike shoes, I believe. Shoes are just obviously not a part of their endorsement deals.

Fumus
05-20-2005, 06:48 PM
Ok, I have some pictures of the shoes...

This style is called the all court

http://www.tennisfield.co.jp/babolatshoespagepic1.jpg
http://www.tennisfield.co.jp/babolatteamallcoutsilvereditionpic1.jpg
http://www.tennisfield.co.jp/babolatteamallcoutsilvereditionpic2.jpg
http://www.tennisfield.co.jp/babolatteamallcoutsilvereditionpic3.jpg
http://www.ts-mats.com/shoes/babolat/s50001_1.jpg
http://www.ts-mats.com/shoes/babolat/s50001_2.jpg

This style is called the team omni
http://www.tennisfield.co.jp/babolatteamomnipic1.jpg
http://www.tennisfield.co.jp/babolatteamomnipic2.jpg
http://www.tennisfield.co.jp/babolatteamomnipic3.jpg
http://www.ts-mats.com/shoes/babolat/s50401.jpg
http://www.ts-mats.com/shoes/babolat/s50401_2.jpg

Deboogle!.
05-20-2005, 06:51 PM
oh lord those are pretty hideous... well just the colors, I guess. Those are gonna look very funky with the classy Lacoste clothes.

Fumus
05-20-2005, 06:53 PM
pssst...no problem for the pics Deb, you really don't need to thank me.

surfpinky
05-20-2005, 06:53 PM
they look like kid's shoes :scared:

Deboogle!.
05-20-2005, 06:54 PM
pssst...no problem for the pics Deb, you really don't need to thank me.I'll thank you for the pics when I get my tapes back :p

Fumus
05-20-2005, 06:54 PM
oohh, gotta do it like that huh? haha..alright I will send them back asap, didn't know you were in desperate need. :cool:

Deboogle!.
05-20-2005, 06:55 PM
I'm not, I'm just teasing you :p :kiss:

blosson
05-20-2005, 06:56 PM
oh lord those are pretty hideous... well just the colors, I guess. Those are gonna look very funky with the classy Lacoste clothes.

I was thinking the same thing. Those silver ones are out of a spaceship. I just hope he never wears those on court with maching Lacoste silver cap... :eek:

Fumus
05-20-2005, 06:57 PM
uh huh, I scoured the internet for those pics!! lol

yea but seriously, I don't know if those are the ones they will give him or not, those are just the ones they are selling in europe/japan at the moment.

allanah
05-20-2005, 07:00 PM
Wow! They look so...what's the word?....busy. Yuck. Babolat have got to be kidding with their promotional spiel. Technology? It's a shoe not a nuclear project. Good traction and sturdy laces is surely all they need.

surfpinky
05-20-2005, 07:05 PM
Wow! They look so...what's the word?....busy. Yuck. Babolat have got to be kidding with their promotional spiel. Technology? It's a shoe not a nuclear project. Good traction and sturdy laces is surely all they need.
:haha: well put :)

Fee
05-20-2005, 07:13 PM
Prince has been competing with nike, adidas, and reebok for years. They do pretty well with recreational tennis players because they make decent shoes. Lacoste tennis shoes are apparently more 'country club' than anything else. I've heard that they look better than they perform, so that may be why they don't require their players to wear them.

Those shoes are ugly, but it looks like Babolat has a few months to work with Andy on a more appropriate design (let's hope).

guida
05-20-2005, 07:13 PM
Allanah's great at descriptions. :cool:

Fumus
05-20-2005, 07:34 PM
Andy worked with Reebok on their last two designs(the figjam and pump). Infact Andy named the figjams after a popular aussie saying(f*ck I'm good just ask me). So lets hope he has more input this time and lets also hope these shoes don't suck.

Deboogle!.
05-20-2005, 07:45 PM
According to a new tennis week article, Andy won't wear the shoes til NEXT year?????
----------------------
Roddick To Wear Babolat Shoes

By Tennis Week
05/20/2005

Andy Roddick will put his feet in the hands of a familiar partner. The third-ranked Roddick has signed a shoe deal with his racquet company, Babolat. Roddick, who recently signed a clothing contract with another French company, Lacoste, will begin wearing Babolat shoes in early 2006.

"We are proud of our collaboration with Andy Roddick," Eric Babolat, President and CEO of Babolat said. "We have been with Andy since he was a junior. The fact that heís choosing to play with our shoes is an additional show of confidence in the excellence of our products."

The official announcement confirms a Tennis Week.com report posted on April 18th.

Roddick is the company's most recognizable racquet endorser. He has been playing with Babolat racquets and strings since the age of 17.

"Babolat has always been a great partner. They have believed in me from the first time they saw me play and have supported me ever since," Roddick said. "Iím delighted to expand my partnership with this legendary brand."

The signing will make Roddick a Michelin man. Launched in Europe in 2003, Babolatís line of shoes, equipped with Michelin soles, was developed to meet the specific needs of tennis players. Babolat shoes will be available in the United States this fall.

surfpinky
05-20-2005, 07:49 PM
maybe they are making him some super-secret-allpowerfull-shoes that won't be ready in a long time :o

surfpinky
05-20-2005, 07:50 PM
Michelin? as in Michelin tires for cars?

MissFairy
05-20-2005, 07:50 PM
I think maybe the date is wrong? Wouldn't it make more sense for Andy to start wearing the trainers before or when they hit the stroes in the US? :shrug:

snaillyyy
05-20-2005, 07:53 PM
Andy and Michelin Man in the same sentence doesnt exactly make me think of speed on the tennis court :rolleyes: :p

heya
05-20-2005, 07:53 PM
the shoes must fit or you will BE shit. At least he's not a fat, ugly slug with no talent.

Deboogle!.
05-20-2005, 07:56 PM
the shoes must fit or you will BE shit.:spit: :haha: DEAD! DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD.

snaillyyy
05-20-2005, 07:58 PM
:haha: :spit: :haha: Heya!!!

surfpinky
05-20-2005, 08:02 PM
very well said :haha: :haha: :worship:

Fee
05-20-2005, 09:16 PM
The press release on page 2 of this thread says 2006. I thought it was a bit odd too...

tangerine_dream
05-20-2005, 10:14 PM
the shoes must fit or you will BE shit. At least he's not a fat, ugly slug with no talent.

:spit: :haha: :haha: :bigcry: :sobbing: That's brilliant, heya :bowdown:

MisterQ
05-20-2005, 10:18 PM
I don't think the sneakers are all that bad. A lot of the "business" is on the bottom, which will get all caked with clay anyway. ;)

He should put some chains on those Michelins for better traction. :drive:

zoltan83
05-20-2005, 10:35 PM
A lot of the French have issues with the US's foreign policy and some of our political "leaders," but they don't hate like the American people. They're much more open about the whole mess than some of our morons are.

At least in my experience.
True... French (or europeans) don't hate americans. But american's governenment and US's foreign policy.

Fumus
05-23-2005, 03:41 PM
I don't think the sneakers are all that bad. A lot of the "business" is on the bottom, which will get all caked with clay anyway. ;)

He should put some chains on those Michelins for better traction. :drive:

Is Andy about to eat his racquet in that picture? :)

Golfnduck
05-23-2005, 05:44 PM
That's exciting. Andy's always glueing his Reebok shoes. Hopefully Babolat makes shoes that stay together.