terrible year and draw for enqvist? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

terrible year and draw for enqvist?

coup-du-cobra
05-20-2005, 03:34 PM
swede first meets a qualifier, then marat safin.
do you think he should retire at the end of the season or do you think he still is capable of making a comeback?

El Legenda
05-20-2005, 03:35 PM
dude stop starting all these threads

coup-du-cobra
05-20-2005, 03:36 PM
:) dude stop starting all these threads

what's the problem mate? give me your opinion instead of moaning :)

Chris Seahorse
05-20-2005, 04:08 PM
Yeah qualifiers can be tough. They come into the tournament hungry and with the confidence of having won three matches. Had Enqvist drawn Karlovic or Carlsen he might have had a chance to reach the 2nd round but against a qualifier well it looks a real longshot. Oh well..........

Sjengster
05-20-2005, 04:11 PM
If he's going to make a comeback of any sort, RG will not be top on his list of priorities to do well in. Lucky Tompa drew fellow Scandinavians Carlsen and Bjorkman to reach the third round last year before falling in four to the eventual champion, I don't fancy his chances against the qualifier, let alone Safin.

Tennis Fool
05-20-2005, 04:13 PM
TE should have retired a long time ago.

Fee
05-20-2005, 04:14 PM
dude stop starting all these threads

I agree. There are 128 players in the draw, hope you don't start a thread for each one.

Chris Seahorse
05-20-2005, 04:20 PM
I agree. There are 128 players in the draw, hope you don't start a thread for each one.

Too be honest if Coup-de-Cobra does start 128 threads, one for each player ,as daft and inane as that would be, it wouldn't bother me. I would still be free to ignore all those that didnt interest me anyway. :lol:

binkygirl
05-21-2005, 01:54 AM
coup, I like this thread :)

I think Thomas should just play and enjoy it and not worry about a 'comeback' or what people think, etc. He's made $75,000 so far this year (and it just the half way mark), lop off $30,000 for expenses, and still thats $45k for traveling around the world and playing tennis. Nice job if you can get it. If he relaxes and takes the pressure off, he'll play better and maybe his ranking will go up. I remember his first tour final at the Philadelphia Indoor tournament (where did that tourney vanish off to?), he got bagled so badly 6-0 in the first set by Michael Chang, that the commentator (that grey hair man that owns a tennis resort, can't think of his name) said,'This is not a professional level performance by Enqvist.' In the second set, Thomas managed to put his head on and win the match (in five sets, I think).

Overall, he should stick around and just pick up the money. He's already got a nice $10 million stash in earnings and will probably end up making $100k this year after expenses. Not only that, he's fun to watch and a cutie pie.

Chris Seahorse
05-21-2005, 09:00 AM
coup, I like this thread :)

I think Thomas should just play and enjoy it and not worry about a 'comeback' or what people think, etc. He's made $75,000 so far this year (and it just the half way mark), lop off $30,000 for expenses, and still thats $45k for traveling around the world and playing tennis. Nice job if you can get it. If he relaxes and takes the pressure off, he'll play better and maybe his ranking will go up. I remember his first tour final at the Philadelphia Indoor tournament (where did that tourney vanish off to?), he got bagled so badly 6-0 in the first set by Michael Chang, that the commentator (that grey hair man that owns a tennis resort, can't think of his name) said,'This is not a professional level performance by Enqvist.' In the second set, Thomas managed to put his head on and win the match (in five sets, I think).

Overall, he should stick around and just pick up the money. He's already got a nice $10 million stash in earnings and will probably end up making $100k this year after expenses. Not only that, he's fun to watch and a cutie pie.

I love this post and agree wholeheartedly with almost all that blinky girl says here. I always find it ridiculous when i read posts that say Corretja, Agassi, Enqvist, Kuerten, Gambill etc should retire because they are shadow of their old selves and are unlikely to ever return to any form. In most such cases it is true that such players will never come close to recapturing old successes and are in the twilight of their careers but as blinky points out so well its not such a bad life. These guys are still earning a heck of alot more than me doing something incredibly fun and getting to travel to some wonderful places. Players should retire because they no longer enjoy the competition and lifestyle not because they run the risk of disappointing old fans because they are not as good as they used to be. Sometimes extending ones career might mean finishing it at challenger level as Rosset, for example, seems to have done. If that's a players choice I see nothing wrong with it.

As for Enqvist specifically, I must admit I have always found his metronomic style rather boring although even I find his attempts at volleying amusing. But its great that every player has their supporters. I wish Enqvist the best in the remainder of his career.

Kristen
05-21-2005, 10:45 AM
Can we have a separate Coup forum?

Here's a thought...should I paint my nails 'clear' or 'pearl'? Your thoughts?