Trophée de Paris - Roddick d. Monfils, Nalbandian d. Lopez to meet in finals [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Trophée de Paris - Roddick d. Monfils, Nalbandian d. Lopez to meet in finals

RogerRocks
05-19-2005, 07:40 PM
wow, I coincidentally noticed this event in Europosrt today. Didn't even know about it before. :)

Eurosport shows the final tommorow 01:00 pm :)

joeb_uk
05-19-2005, 07:50 PM
:D Great match last time david and roddick met in an exhibition! kooyong :woohoo:

Does anyone the results from the quarter finals?

El Legenda
05-19-2005, 08:40 PM
score?

Fumus
05-19-2005, 08:42 PM
Yea, Nalby beat Roddick in that exhibition. The last time they met in a real match was USO...mmmhhmm and we all know who won that one and went on to win the US Open..(hint it wasn't Daveed)

Raquel
05-19-2005, 08:42 PM
David won 6-3, 6-2
The final is live on Eurosport at 12pm tomorrow for people in UK/Ireland.

*Ljubica*
05-19-2005, 09:02 PM
Yea, Nalby beat Roddick in that exhibition. The last time they met in a real match was USO...mmmhhmm and we all know who won that one and went on to win the US Open..(hint it wasn't Daveed)

Actually sweetie - the last time they met in a "real" match was the semi final of Basel in 2003. I was there and unless my memory serves me wrong (which I know it doesn't), - the winner wasn't Roddick! David won in straight sets. At least get your facts right if you're going to try to "gloat" :angel: Thank you.

foul_dwimmerlaik
05-19-2005, 09:02 PM
I watched Roddick-Monfils and Andy was rock-solid up at the net, i was surprised at how good he was. His movement was lacking severely though. Monfils is a beautiful mover, but terribly inconsistent yet.

DanEd
05-19-2005, 09:10 PM
Actually sweetie - the last time they met in a "real" match was the semi final of Basel in 2003. I was there and unless my memory serves me wrong (which I know it doesn't), - the winner wasn't Roddick! David won in straight sets. At least get your facts right if you're going to try to "gloat" :angel: Thank you.

nalbandian played with two injuries and ran out of gas at the end in that uso match yet roddick barely won 6-7 3-6 6-7 (6) 6-1 6-3 saving a match point.

allanah
05-19-2005, 09:14 PM
I watched Roddick-Monfils and Andy was rock-solid up at the net, i was surprised at how good he was.

I totally agree with that. His volleying has improved immensely. He still looks a little awkward/uncomfortable when he does it but he has become a lot more consistent and won a lot more points than he lost when he came into the net. I was impressed by how hard and flat he was hitting the ball again. That was something that was conspicuously absent v Verdasco.

His movement was lacking severely though. Monfils is a beautiful mover, but terribly inconsistent yet.

I don't think Andy's movement was 'lacking severely'. sure he doesn't have the fluid grace of a Federer/Sampras, but he's no slouch around the court either.

I agree about Monfils tho, some of the balls he got back were amazing.

Deboogle!.
05-19-2005, 09:16 PM
I was impressed by how hard and flat he was hitting the ball again. That was something that was conspicuously absent v Verdasco.
That's interesting - they had supposedly adjusted his racquet so that he could hit with more spin for the clay season. I wonder if, after Rome and Hamburg, they decided it didn't work and went back to what he had before.

allanah
05-19-2005, 09:28 PM
That's interesting - they had supposedly adjusted his racquet so that he could hit with more spin for the clay season. I wonder if, after Rome and Hamburg, they decided it didn't work and went back to what he had before.

Yeah Debstah that was the day I officially got over the idea of Dean Goldfine being even remotely savvy, qualified or experienced enough to take Andy back to the the very top. Pretty sure it was against Verdasco. The forehand was all loopy and lame, often landing inside the service line. It mind-boggling to watch. I kept on thinking "If it ain't broke...." :rolleyes: :scratch:

Lady
05-19-2005, 09:38 PM
Oh, I watched Andy-Gael match, was so happy to see ATP tennis again! :D
I didn't realize I missed Andy so much! ;)

They were like mirrow-images of each other on the game plan! ;)
At one point Gael hit MONSTER forehand, really huge!
Andy smiled and said something like this: "For the 1st time while I'm on tour, I felt old!" :lol:

joeb_uk
05-19-2005, 10:34 PM
If i remember correctly too rosie, wasnt that "un-real" match the one where roddick seemed to care quite alot? He was swearing, throwing tantrums all afternoon! I dont think he stopped whining during the match, he seemed to be taking it quite seriously!

Oh yes, we cant also forget the straight sets win in basel (but i guess fum, only remembers the andy wins :D).

marcelwks
05-19-2005, 10:42 PM
Lopez beat Gasquet 6-2 2-6 7-6 in 1/4 ;)

foul_dwimmerlaik
05-19-2005, 11:42 PM
I don't think Andy's movement was 'lacking severely'. sure he doesn't have the fluid grace of a Federer/Sampras, but he's no slouch around the court either. I don't really care about grace, getting to the ball in time is important. Andy was missing some very retriveable balls, that's waht I meant when I said his movement was lacking. Although probably he just didn't care all that much.

Deboogle!.
05-19-2005, 11:59 PM
Lopez beat Gasquet 6-2 2-6 7-6 in 1/4 ;)Interesting!

Was there like... a draw for this thing, or just random? lol

allanah
05-20-2005, 06:48 AM
I don't really care about grace, getting to the ball in time is important. Andy was missing some very retriveable balls, that's waht I meant when I said his movement was lacking. Although probably he just didn't care all that much.

We must have been watching a different match then because I remember him getting his racket to pretty much every dropshot and the shots he didn't get were out and out winners from Monfils.

azza
05-20-2005, 07:13 AM
lol at Monfils losing 6-0 6-0 to Andy

Puschkin
05-20-2005, 07:39 AM
Oh, I watched Andy-Gael match, was so happy to see ATP tennis again! :D

Similar for me, out of a sudden mens' tennis on Eurosport :devil: I saw Nalbandian /Lopez, wasn't necessarily a cracker, though. Lopez lost and did not seem to try hard in the end, which puts a big question mark on exhibitions so close before a big event.

Lady
05-20-2005, 07:45 AM
lol at Monfils losing 6-0 6-0 to Andy

:scratch: 6-1 7-6

marcelwks
05-20-2005, 11:07 AM
Interesting!

Was there like... a draw for this thing, or just random? lol
there was 1/4
Gasquet vs Lopez and Monfils vs Enqvist :) and winners playing with Roddick/Nalb ;)

azza
05-20-2005, 12:21 PM
:scratch: 6-1 7-6

No it was 6-0 6-0

Rogiman
05-20-2005, 12:24 PM
VAMOS DAVID :mad:

Exhibition or not - *@%$ him in the ^&*% :mad:

*Ljubica*
05-20-2005, 12:27 PM

I love you Rogiman :haha: Match should have started half an hour ago but it's raining so have to wait a little longer.

jazz_girl
05-20-2005, 12:29 PM
Too bad we won't be able to see it over here :sad:

sigmagirl91
05-20-2005, 12:30 PM

OK, OK.... :o

*Ljubica*
05-20-2005, 12:35 PM
Too bad we won't be able to see it over here :sad:

They are just warming up now Jazz.

jazz_girl
05-20-2005, 01:50 PM
Nalbandian def. Roddick 6-4 6-4 :yeah:

Action Jackson
05-20-2005, 01:51 PM
Nalbandian def. Roddick 6-4 6-4 :yeah:

Like on this surface it would be any different. It's about time they met on the real tour.

Gracias Nalle.

*Ljubica*
05-20-2005, 01:56 PM
David played very well, and certainly exposed all Roddick's failings on the clay. Once the clay negates the speed and power of the serve, there really isn't anything else to Roddick's game in my opinion. He moves really badly on clay - David was moving him around the court and making him look very clumsy.

And - yes I know it was "only an exhibition", but I assure you neither of them were taking it as such - the match was played in good spririt but very seriously.

Rogiman
05-20-2005, 01:56 PM
I wish that weren't an exhibition, then I would bump my favourite thread :p

Action Jackson
05-20-2005, 01:57 PM
I couldn't imagine these two joking around during a match, but the real tour needs a match between these two again.

jazz_girl
05-20-2005, 01:58 PM
I agree :yeah:

joeb_uk
05-20-2005, 02:12 PM
David played very well, and certainly exposed all Roddick's failings on the clay. Once the clay negates the speed and power of the serve, there really isn't anything else to Roddick's game in my opinion. He moves really badly on clay - David was moving him around the court and making him look very clumsy.

And - yes I know it was "only an exhibition", but I assure you neither of them were taking it as such - the match was played in good spririt but very seriously.
damn i missed it :D i thought it was on at 2 :(

Lady
05-20-2005, 02:16 PM

Even in the exibition if the result was the opposite, I'd seriously worry for David! ;)
But expected result! I'll watch the repeat tonight.

Neely
05-20-2005, 02:22 PM
Very relaxed atmosphere between the two, they were laughing and joking a lot and had a few more words at the net after the end, so I guess they had lots of fun which was good to see. I tuned in during the last game of the first set when Roddick had his last break point for the match (he didn't have another in the 2nd set as far as I noticed). The chance that Roddick won the point from the baseline was only around 20% I would say. Most of his other points came by good serves or by net attacks. Overall no big problem for Nalbandian to handle this as long as Roddick is losing his serve at least once a set.

gooner88
05-20-2005, 02:44 PM
damn i missed it :D i thought it was on at 2 :(

Don't worry, there's a repeat on Eurosport 2 at 7pm tonight.

Raquel
05-20-2005, 02:52 PM
David played some great tennis. He was hitting his backhand really well today with lots of depth and he should have wrapped up that first set 6-2.
It's just an exhibition but the match itself was taken pretty seriously and David looked very comfortable.

gooner88
05-20-2005, 03:04 PM
I was impressed with Nalbo's play, even if it was an exhibition.
His backhand and forehands were in full flow today, he returned A-rod's serve with ease and hit more aces than a-rod.
A good workout for nalbo and good luck in RG next week!

joeb_uk
05-20-2005, 03:15 PM
Don't worry, there's a repeat on Eurosport 2 at 7pm tonight.
:woohoo: thanks! i was at uni :D so i missed it! although only two others turned up to the lecture!! its usually 25 other people :eek:

MissFairy
05-20-2005, 03:34 PM

David played so well, i haven't seen him strike the ball that well in a while. The depth of his groudstrokes were great. His dropshots improved as the match progressed, it was great to watch. Although, i don't think that the clay renders Andy's game useless. It obviously blunts his weapons, but it was clear to me that he's made serious improvement to both mobility around the court and his net play. He's got a long way to go, but it's encouraging to see him be able to finish points of at the net handily at times :) His smashes were great :p
I was also impressed by Davids general baseline game, very solid and he outplayed Andy by moving around the court like a puppet on the string. I really warmed to David today, his game is great to watch. Overall, great preparation for the French fo both, and i hope to see David come out with another strong performance next week :)

tangerine_dream
05-20-2005, 03:41 PM
Very relaxed atmosphere between the two, they were laughing and joking a lot and had a few more words at the net after the end, so I guess they had lots of fun which was good to see. I tuned in during the last game of the first set when Roddick had his last break point for the match (he didn't have another in the 2nd set as far as I noticed). The chance that Roddick won the point from the baseline was only around 20% I would say. Most of his other points came by good serves or by net attacks. Overall no big problem for Nalbandian to handle this as long as Roddick is losing his serve at least once a set.
Thanks for the report, Neely. :yeah: It sounds like it was a good, light-hearted match. A good workout for Andy heading into RG. :banana:

jazz_girl
05-20-2005, 03:42 PM
Thank you so much for the reports :hug:

*Ljubica*
05-20-2005, 03:49 PM
David played so well, i haven't seen him strike the ball that well in a while. The depth of his groudstrokes were great. His dropshots improved as the match progressed, it was great to watch. Although, i don't think that the clay renders Andy's game useless. It obviously blunts his weapons, but it was clear to me that he's made serious improvement to both mobility around the court and his net play. He's got a long way to go, but it's encouraging to see him be able to finish points of at the net handily at times :) His smashes were great :p
I was also impressed by Davids general baseline game, very solid and he outplayed Andy by moving around the court like a puppet on the string. I really warmed to David today, his game is great to watch. Overall, great preparation for the French fo both, and i hope to see David come out with another strong performance next week :)

Thank you so much for your lovely post MissFairy :hug: Good Reps are on their way. I know you're an Andy fan and many Andy fans seem to hate David on principle :devil: - so it was nice to see such a classy and unbiased report of the match from an Andy-fans' point of view. David did play very well today, but I actually think that if Andy had used the volley more against him it may have produced better results - and yes - his smashes were good, though he definately wasn't serving to his normal standard - far more double faults than usual I think. This is a first year for this exhibition event, but it seems to have been very successful and hope it will become a fixture in the calendar like Stoke Park and Kooyong - both of which David and Andy already play regularly. Thanks again :)

Deboogle!.
05-20-2005, 03:50 PM
:scratch: Why is it so hard to believe they might be friendly? Sure, they've got a competitive history, but I don't remember anything that would have created actual bad blood between them. I see no reason that they couldn't have fun during an exhibition match. Doesn't mean they'll go out and have dinner together, but they can get along with each other lol :confused:

Action Jackson
05-20-2005, 03:51 PM
:scratch: Why is it so hard to believe they might be friendly? :confused:

Past experiences on here.

Deboogle!.
05-20-2005, 03:55 PM
What, because some of each's fans dislike the other player and his fans? That makes no sense. If anything, it shows they're both more mature and grownup than a lot of the people here. Whatever. I like them both and a lot of other people like them both - this all is getting so silly. I just think it's great warmup for both of them and even better that it could be in a fun atmosphere. If people can't be nice about it, then it just reflects poorly on them. I want no part of it anymore. So if the thread's gonna turn into more bashing, I'll just say: congrats to David, glad to hear Andy seems happy and has improved some parts of his game, and I'm glad they had a fun time.

:wavey:

Action Jackson
05-20-2005, 03:59 PM
What, because some of each's fans dislike the other player and his fans? That makes no sense. If anything, it shows they're both more mature and grownup than a lot of the people here. Whatever. I just think it's great warmup for both of them and even better that it could be in a fun atmosphere. If people can't be nice about it, then it just reflects poorly on them. I want no part of it anymore. So if the thread's gonna turn into more bashing, I'll just say: congrats to David, glad to hear Andy seems happy and has improved some parts of his game, and I'm glad they had a fun time.

:wavey:

You asked a question and I gave an answer. Who is bashing who? What have I said that is negative in this thread? There has been some antics between some of the respective fans. It's not that difficult to talk about players games without liking them quite of a few posters here are able to do it.

It's an exhibition only and served the purpose for both players.

MissFairy
05-20-2005, 04:00 PM
Thank you so much for your lovely post MissFairy :hug: Good Reps are on their way. I know you're an Andy fan and many Andy fans seem to hate David on principle :devil: - so it was nice to see such a classy and unbiased report of the match from an Andy-fans' point of view. David did play very well today, but I actually think that if Andy had used the volley more against him it may have produced better results - and yes - his smashes were good, though he definately wasn't serving to his normal standard - far more double faults than usual I think. This is a first year for this exhibition event, but it seems to have been very successful and hope it will become a fixture in the calendar like Stoke Park and Kooyong - both of which David and Andy already play regularly. Thanks again :)
Rosie :hug:
The volleying paid off nearly everytime he tried, and that's why these events are really important in the fine tuning before entering a slam. I think it was useful for Andy to play a strong clay player like David, a useful way to gage where he is in terms of competitive play against someone who has had good results on the surface. And to be honest, a 4 and 4 loss isn't too awful, considering the way he has played on clay previously.

I think in terms of serving, his rhythm was all wrong, i think the final stat was something like 2 Aces/ 4 DF's, which is unusual. I hope he gets that rhythm back before RG starts next week. But with the combination of more volleying and consistent serving, i don't see why he can't do better at RG in the next few years than he has done.

David on the other hand is primed for a good performance this year :) I will be watching him next week for sure.

Julio1974
05-20-2005, 04:04 PM
Past experiences on here.

I didn't know that. I'm too new here.

Action Jackson
05-20-2005, 04:07 PM
I didn't know that. I'm too new here.

Lets say the US Open 2003 was an interesting time around here and the archives make some good reading. There is a certain edge to their matches though not to the level of some others.

Deboogle!.
05-20-2005, 04:10 PM
I didn't say you said anything negative in this thread GWH. Of course it's possible to objectively talk about players you don't love. I just want to leave before it gets nasty :) And if it doesn't, well then that's good.

Action Jackson
05-20-2005, 04:16 PM
I didn't say you said anything negative in this thread GWH. Of course it's possible to objectively talk about players you don't love. I just want to leave before it gets nasty :) And if it doesn't, well then that's good.

I'll give you an example I had an intelligent conversation with Fumus about Roddick's game, the good and the bad, he had one view and I had another and there was some agreement and it was about his tennis only, but lets say I could have hardly that with many other of his fans for other reasons.

This thread hasn't got nasty and shouldn't.

joeb_uk
05-20-2005, 04:36 PM
David has quite a difficult first round match against baghdatis :D but i think he still come through quite easily. In a way i am glad marcos is playing a top player and will lose early, so then he will be at surbiton :D (i was worried he may not turn up :devil: )

Lady
05-20-2005, 07:59 PM
I loved it!! :D
Especially all those laughs they shared in the end!! :lol:

Well played, David. When his groundies were stable, Andy couldn't match him!

And Andy was volleying so well, almost everytime he went to the net he won the point! Really impressed! :D

jazz_girl
05-20-2005, 09:05 PM
I envy you all so much! I really wanted to see this match!

Chloe le Bopper
05-20-2005, 09:14 PM
:scratch: Why is it so hard to believe they might be friendly? Sure, they've got a competitive history, but I don't remember anything that would have created actual bad blood between them. I see no reason that they couldn't have fun during an exhibition match. Doesn't mean they'll go out and have dinner together, but they can get along with each other lol :confused:

If I'm not mistaken, Nalbandian has said things to the Argentine press about Roddick that were how we say.. not exactly full of love. Granted that was sometime ago and it was a report from a poster, but I never saw any reason to doubt them.

Add to that the snarks that Pat Mac has made on Nalbandian (If I'm not mistaken I think he's made comments to the effect that nobody likes Nalbandian?) in the past... and tada! People talk. And no, Pat Mac is not Andy.

Deboogle!.
05-20-2005, 09:48 PM
And no, Pat Mac is not Andy.He's not? My world is now shattered :tears:

sigmagirl91
05-20-2005, 11:21 PM
Add to that the snarks that Pat Mac has made on Nalbandian (If I'm not mistaken I think he's made comments to the effect that nobody likes Nalbandian?) in the past... and tada! People talk. And no, Pat Mac is not Andy.

So that explains things better...thanks.