Hewitt not at RG [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Hewitt not at RG

Stevens Point
05-19-2005, 01:09 PM
I though he would make announcement on Friday, but I just found this. published about one hour ago.. Is this a confirmation? The title of this article, in English, Hewitt not at French Open.

Hewitt fehlt beim French Open
19.05.2005 14:17

TENNIS - Der Weltranglisten-Zweite Lleyton Hewitt kann am French Open nicht teilnehmen. Der 24-jährige Australier stürzte vor einer Woche in seinem Haus in Sydney von der Treppe und brach sich zwei Rippen.

Hewitt machte zuvor eine Zehenverletzung zu schaffen, die ihn seit März zum Pausieren zwang. Seinen letzten Auftritt hatte er in Indian Wells (USA), wo er den Final gegen Roger Federer verlor.

gsm
05-19-2005, 01:16 PM
i hope he pulls out , so he has a chance to compete at wimby + DC.

Saumon
05-19-2005, 01:20 PM
That's official: he wont play

jtipson
05-19-2005, 01:30 PM
Thanks Stevens Point - which paper was this in - NZZ?

Ah, I see it in the Basler now. Cheers :)

Socket
05-19-2005, 01:43 PM
He's definitely out. :sad:

Hewitt to miss French Open

May 19, 2005

AUSTRALIAN tennis star Lleyton Hewitt is out of the French Open.

The World No.2 failed to recover from a rib injury sustained last week and confirmed tonight he would not take his place in the second grand slam of the year starting on Monday at Roland Garros.

"I have decided to take doctor's advice and not play next week as returning too early runs the risk of prolonging my recovery period," said Hewitt in a press release.

"This is obviously disappointing but I am taking a longer term approach.

"My sights are now firmly set on the forthcoming grasscourt season starting with Queen's and then Wimbledon, building up to our tough Davis Cup tie against Argentina in Sydney."

AAP

Angle Queen
05-19-2005, 01:47 PM
Damn.

But I know it's for the best. Still...

yanchr
05-19-2005, 01:59 PM
Poor Hewitt...But it's anyway a wise decision from him. He knows well he has much better chance in Wimbledon than in RG.

So Nadal will be the 4th seed and Coria the 8th...Good...

All credit to Hewitt to pull out of RG before the draw is made so the draw won't be messed up.

onewoman74
05-19-2005, 02:04 PM
Another article...He's out.

http://uk.sports.yahoo.com/050519/2/aznj.html

feuselino
05-19-2005, 02:26 PM
So Nadal will be the 4th seed and Coria the 8th...Good...

So Federer - Coria in the QF, and Federer - Nadal in the SF... ;)

yanchr
05-19-2005, 02:35 PM
So Federer - Coria in the QF, and Federer - Nadal in the SF... ;)
:scared: Hope not :tape:

But, bigger chance than Coria in the 4th, Nadal in the QF, on the basis of him reaching that far first... :rolleyes: :p :wavey:

TheMightyFed
05-19-2005, 02:35 PM
Dent is out too (ankle)... Ferrero is seeded !!

Kristen
05-19-2005, 03:04 PM
:kiss: Take your time Lleyton :hug:

mitalidas
05-19-2005, 03:17 PM
Sad that this had to happen

But given the choice of Slams to have to sit out, this is the best case scenario for lleyton

Auscon
05-19-2005, 03:43 PM
bugger! oh well, its the best thing for his recovery, so hopefully he'll be able start kicking arse as soon as the grass season starts

I really enjoyed following Lleytons run at last years RG.......hopefully this wont take away too much of the fun of following the results of a slam

tangerine_dream
05-19-2005, 03:59 PM
He's definitely out. :sad:

Hewitt to miss French Open

May 19, 2005

AUSTRALIAN tennis star Lleyton Hewitt is out of the French Open.

The World No.2 failed to recover from a rib injury sustained last week and confirmed tonight he would not take his place in the second grand slam of the year starting on Monday at Roland Garros.

"I have decided to take doctor's advice and not play next week as returning too early runs the risk of prolonging my recovery period," said Hewitt in a press release.

"This is obviously disappointing but I am taking a longer term approach.

"My sights are now firmly set on the forthcoming grasscourt season starting with Queen's and then Wimbledon, building up to our tough Davis Cup tie against Argentina in Sydney."

AAP

:hug: for you Socket.

And get better, Lleyton! Tennis is boring without you pissing off everyone on court with your c'mons and lawnmower rip. :lol:

robinhood
05-19-2005, 04:06 PM
I miss you on the court, Hewitt.
Get well and be prepared for the Queens!

Stevens Point
05-19-2005, 04:27 PM
Lleytonless Slam,,,, it's weird. Rest well and we want to see you fit in Wimbledon..

Socket
05-19-2005, 04:30 PM
:hug: for you Socket.

And get better, Lleyton! Tennis is boring without you pissing off everyone on court with your c'mons and lawnmower rip. :lol:
Thanks, tangy. :kiss: Yeah, it's going to be a boring RG without Lleyton getting everyone on court and -- more importantly! -- on MTF all riled up.

I guess this means that Roddick is in for even more bashing than usual; he'll get the sublimated Hewitt-hatred as well as his own.

foul_dwimmerlaik
05-19-2005, 04:42 PM
I guess this means that Roddick is in for even more bashing than usual; he'll get the sublimated Hewitt-hatred as well as his own.Poor Andy. Poor Lleyton. Get well ASAP, c'mooon!

joske
05-19-2005, 04:44 PM
:sad:

Corinna
05-19-2005, 04:45 PM
:sad: lleyton :sobbing: i miss you soooo much on court :(

poor andy :hug:

athina7
05-19-2005, 05:17 PM
I was afraid this was going to happen. This is really sad... The only positive thing is that he will have more time to recover before Wimbledon. Still, no Hewitt at RG :sad: I can't believe he is missing a slam.

Raquel
05-19-2005, 05:18 PM
:sad:

I guess it's better though if he was not going to be fully fit and Wimbledon is more important for him so if he's fit for that it's better in the long run.

kim-fan
05-19-2005, 05:19 PM
I've never seen a grand slam without him :sad:
but hopefully he'll be fully recovered by wimbledon :hug:

roberta
05-19-2005, 10:03 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! :sobbing: :hysteric: :crying2: THIS´S TOO BAD!! :sad: :sad: :sad: please lleyton get well (very well!!) for wimbly!!!I MISS YOU SOOOOOO MUCH ON COURT!!! :kiss: :hug: :awww:

jes_021
05-19-2005, 10:36 PM
I only have one thing to say about Lleyton not playing:awww: RG, even if it's for the best: CRAP!!! :awww:

bad gambler
05-19-2005, 11:04 PM
Interesting to note that lleytons run of 25 consecutive slam appearences will end here as well

for some reason im happy he is not playing :shrug:

means he can focus on wimbledon :D

dylan24
05-19-2005, 11:07 PM
how did hewitt injury his rib anyways?

Socket
05-19-2005, 11:31 PM
how did hewitt injury his rib anyways?
He fell at home, landing on his back, and ended up with a hairline fracture of at least one rib. That's all I know.

Peyton
05-19-2005, 11:52 PM
Hewitt made the proper decision. Injured ribs can be very painful and slow to heal. So he needed to pass on the French Open.

uNIVERSE mAN
05-20-2005, 12:06 AM
how many points will he lose and where will that put him for wimbledon?

Billabong
05-20-2005, 02:39 AM
Lleyton:sad::tears: please be back in Queens:hug:!! Get well soon man:yeah:!

flip_fan
05-20-2005, 05:58 AM
woo hoo, mark and lleyton are playing doubles at queens together!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v50/jillian83/36076867172philippoussis.jpg

bad gambler
05-20-2005, 06:15 AM

those were the good old days :)

Chloe le Bopper
05-20-2005, 06:24 AM
Thanks, tangy. :kiss: Yeah, it's going to be a boring RG without Lleyton getting everyone on court and -- more importantly! -- on MTF all riled up.

I guess this means that Roddick is in for even more bashing than usual; he'll get the sublimated Hewitt-hatred as well as his own.

There is plenty of Coria and Nadal around for Roddick to share it with.

Lady
05-20-2005, 08:26 AM
There is plenty of Coria and Nadal around for Roddick to share it with.

Especially considering that Coria/Nadal should last longer then Andy! ;)

its.like.that
05-20-2005, 09:22 AM
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSS

its not like he can play on clay anways :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

jes_021
05-20-2005, 10:31 AM
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSS

Sheesh, tell us how you really feel. :rolleyes:

Socket
05-20-2005, 12:49 PM

How very Australian of you to say that. :rolleyes:

Socket
05-20-2005, 12:53 PM

It's great that they're helping each other out like this. I can't wait! :)

mitalidas
05-20-2005, 07:03 PM
FALLEN STAR

Lleyton Hewitt has shed some more light on the "unfortunate mishap" that caused him to withdraw from the French Open.
"I was carrying my change of clothes to put in the car and as I have gone down the steps I slipped," said the Aussie.

"I was carrying stuff, which was probably a blessing, because I probably would have broken my wrist if I was trying to save myself."

So have his spirits been dampened ahead of Wimbledon?

"I will be ready to run through walls and fences to get into the All England Club."

Maybe not.

Story from BBC SPORT:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/sport1/hi/tennis/4447479.stm

alexito
05-20-2005, 11:34 PM
I miss hewitt. so time I no see lleyton.

robinhood
05-20-2005, 11:44 PM
I miss hewitt. so time I no see lleyton.

Yoda?

AFT
05-21-2005, 02:50 AM
Damn. :eek: :eek: :confused:

guida
05-21-2005, 03:11 AM
Yoda?

Oh, that is so mean... :devil:
... but what the hell :haha:

Action Jackson
05-21-2005, 09:07 AM
Best thing for Lleyton, he performed very well at RG last year, but no point playing there on a weak or no prep, he should be very fired up for Queens and the grass season.

robinhood
05-21-2005, 09:22 AM
how many points will he lose and where will that put him for wimbledon?

Obviously he will lose the QF points, which I think is about 250 or 225 or somewhere in that range. Since he has about 400 point cushion between him and Roddick, I think he will still be ranked #2 after RG barring any type of unexpected miracle performed by Andy.

Alisa
05-21-2005, 06:19 PM
oh, that's very sad(( i hope it wouldn't be like his time-out in 2003... now, when he reached so good form!

gsm
05-22-2005, 02:23 AM
he should be very fired up for Queens and the grass season.

i just saw an interview with him.

considers himself a major contender for wimbledon , and is very focused on DC tie verse argentina. the way he was talking up his chances seemed as though the injury would not be an issue when the grass season starts , in other words; it will be totaly healed.

was very confident and relaxed through out the interview.

BTW , he said that wants to have a heavy schedual for the next couple of years.

as a lleyton fan i was worried for his immediate and long term tennis future (injury + family...) , but after seeing this interview he has assured me that tennis will be a major part of his life for at least a few years to come.

Socket
05-22-2005, 02:41 AM

considers himself a major contender for wimbledon , and is very focused on DC tie verse argentina. the way he was talking up his chances seemed as though the injury would not be an issue when the grass season starts , in other words; it will be totaly healed.

as a lleyton fan i was worried for his immediate and long term tennis future (injury + family...) , but after seeing this interview he has assured me that tennis will be a major part of his life for at least a few years to come.
:yeah: Thanks for the update!

athina7
05-22-2005, 04:36 AM
Yeah, thanks for posting that gsm. I feel a lot better knowing that he is so determined and confident that the injury won't be a problem for Wimbledon. Good to hear some good news for a change. :)

euroka1
05-22-2005, 08:36 AM

Thanks very much.

I hope he's sincere and it's not just words. I'll believe it when I see him on court and winning again!

Kristen
05-22-2005, 08:57 AM
mmm believe it or not, I actually watched the interview myself :tape: You mean the one on sportsworld right?

for once he didn't say anything to piss me off. :eek: Apart from "Andy isn't in the same league as Federer" but really...who is? Actually he made me smile (/smirk) when he said Woodbridge would retire this year. What's that Todd? The third year you're threatening to retire? He'll probably do it though. It was pretty funny when he explained the story of cracked ribs... I was picturing him doing what I do sometimes...and stumbling around trying to put socks on :tape: Sounds pretty freaky, but it's good that he can laugh about it now :)