Duck vs. Verdasco -- an instant classic [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Duck vs. Verdasco -- an instant classic

tennischick
05-19-2005, 02:58 AM
i can't believe how many times the Tennis Channel has re-played that match between Roddick and Verdasco -- the one in which Roddick gave Verdasco the call on matchpoint and then went on to lose the match. it's become an instant classic. people will talk about it for years to come -- if the TTC has anything to do with it! :aplot:

World Beater
05-19-2005, 03:07 AM
Drench that roasted duck in some hot sauce

jole
05-19-2005, 03:16 AM
Move over Connors vs. Krickstein?

NYCtennisfan
05-19-2005, 03:27 AM

LOL! I'm sure people are sick of that one. Every time it starts raining at the OPen, you know what's coming.

Pea
05-19-2005, 04:24 AM
I woould sure like to see this Tennis Channel.:mad:

robinhood
05-19-2005, 08:30 AM
Sounds like someone is out to promote Roddick's "sportsmanship."

binkygirl
05-19-2005, 09:01 AM

Do they play that alot on the Tennis Channel? I saw that when I was a kid live on TV!!! It was fun to watch as a spectator, but in retrospect that was a huge show of gamesmanship on Connors part. Poor Aaron, always injured and never got to the top of his potential. I remember once he was crippled by of all things, diarrhea, before a big match.

binkygirl
05-19-2005, 09:06 AM
Sounds like someone is out to promote Roddick's "sportsmanship."

The 'duck' nickname is killing me with laughter. :worship:

They probably want Lacoste to run ads on their network so they are hyping Andy. And it doesn't hurt that he's popular with the much desired 18-24 demographic.

Deivid23
05-19-2005, 09:47 AM
i can't believe how many times the Tennis Channel has re-played that match between Roddick and Verdasco -- the one in which Roddick gave Verdasco the call on matchpoint and then went on to lose the match. it's become an instant classic. people will talk about it for years to come -- if the TTC has anything to do with it! :aplot:

I wouldn´t get tired of watching the thrashing Fernando gave him since last games of 2nd set ;)

El Legenda
05-19-2005, 09:54 AM
I wouldn´t get tired of watching the thrashing Fernando gave him since last games of 2nd set ;)

then you should watch the 5th set DC 2005 vs Ljubo...i do it weekly.;)

Action Jackson
05-19-2005, 10:30 AM
This match will be the turning point in tennis history, it needs a man of the stature of the Duck for this to happen and this incident and replaying it consistently will do very well for his promotion of the Nobel Prize Man of the Year. The only thing is when he collects the Prize I wonder if the sneakers will be there with the suit?

Saumon
05-19-2005, 10:40 AM
This match will be the turning point in tennis history, it needs a man of the stature of the Duck for this to happen and this incident and replaying it consistently will do very well for his promotion of the Nobel Prize Man of the Year. The only thing is when he collects the Prize I wonder if the sneakers will be there with the suit?
:spit: :haha:

connectolove
05-19-2005, 10:42 AM
This is pathetic, most people probably think by now that Roddick is giving his games away out of sporstmanship, not bc he sucks on clay.

Deivid23
05-19-2005, 10:48 AM

I also noticed how he warned Verdasco about playing with new balls on 8th game, how classy!

Billy Moonshine
05-19-2005, 11:00 AM
I think roddick's match gets shown so much cos he is the top ranked American player and tennis channel is in America. For all the people who hate that the match is being reshown, I bet lots of people are watching it and enjoying it.

tennischick
05-19-2005, 02:10 PM
the downside however to the excessive Roddick promotion is the repitition of what can be seen as his most embarassing moment. my point is that after a while these things can turn on you and what started out as a moment of sportsmanship, with the endless repitition is slowly becoming "How Roddick made a complete ass of himself". that is the risk and if i were him or his fans, i would not want to take it.

i can just imagine new viewers saying "oh yeah, TTC is showing that match that Roddick gave away", instead of "wow, there's our hero! great guy! what a terrific sport!!".

this media exposure can be a tricky thing.

Socket
05-19-2005, 02:13 PM
Well, just think how many more times they'd show it if Andy had actually won. ;) ;)

Socket
05-19-2005, 03:25 PM
Do they play that alot on the Tennis Channel? I saw that when I was a kid live on TV!!! It was fun to watch as a spectator, but in retrospect that was a huge show of gamesmanship on Connors part. Poor Aaron, always injured and never got to the top of his potential. I remember once he was crippled by of all things, diarrhea, before a big match.
Oh, God, I remember this. It was at the AO. Krickstein had to retire in his 4th rd match to Amos Mansdorf due to dizziness. Mary Carillo interviewed him afterwards, and he said that he was dehydrated because he had had the runs all day. Carillo had this funny "too much infomation!" expression on her face. Classic moment.

Skyward
05-19-2005, 03:30 PM
Well, just think how many more times they'd show it if Andy had actually won. ;) ;)

I guess we are destined to see this match during numerous rain delays for years to come. Sampras-Corretja meeting at the 1996 USO will be left in the dust. :p

Socket
05-19-2005, 03:35 PM
I guess we are destined to see this match during numerous rain delays for years to come. Sampras-Corretja meeting at the 1996 USO will be left in the dust. :p
I love Sampras-Corretja. The crowd chanting Alex's name, Alex's acknowledgement of their cheers, the players' hug at the end. What a wonderful match that was.

tangerine_dream
05-19-2005, 03:49 PM
it's become an instant classic. people will talk about it for years to come -- if the TTC has anything to do with it! :aplot:
The fact that you keep talking about it also helps make it a classic. :lol:

But it won't be a real classic until I see it on ESPN Classic.

tennischick
05-19-2005, 04:08 PM
The fact that you keep talking about it also helps make it a classic. :lol:

But it won't be a real classic until I see it on ESPN Classic.
i have not spoken of this match since it actually occurred. :shrug:

and i'd like to think that ESPN would be a tad more astute and realize that this constant repetition is just an embarassment to the Duck.

Jenrios
05-19-2005, 04:37 PM
This is pathetic, most people probably think by now that Roddick is giving his games away out of sporstmanship, not bc he sucks on clay.

:haha: :haha: :haha:

binkygirl
05-21-2005, 02:28 AM
Oh, God, I remember this. It was at the AO. Krickstein had to retire in his 4th rd match to Amos Mansdorf due to dizziness. Mary Carillo interviewed him afterwards, and he said that he was dehydrated because he had had the runs all day. Carillo had this funny "too much infomation!" expression on her face. Classic moment.

That's it. I felt so bad for him, what a way to lose a match.

Havok
05-21-2005, 02:37 AM
Oh.