Safin ( with his head on) vs Nadal [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Safin ( with his head on) vs Nadal

Skyward
05-18-2005, 06:59 PM
Up to this date they've never met. We all know that Marat can beat everyone on any given day, but I think that Nadal's game in particular doesn't match well with Safin's. His main weapon- lefty heavy top spin fh goes directly into Marat's power zone- bh. Safin serves better, volleys better, Nadal's movement might be slightly better. Nadal doesn't have enough variety in his game( as of today) to frustrate Safin, make him go for more and miss his shots from the baseline. I'm really looking forward to their first meeting. Discuss. :)

alfonsojose
05-18-2005, 07:09 PM
right now, the "Hot Tatar" would lose in straights :drool:

surfpinky
05-18-2005, 07:18 PM
Well, the way Nadal is playing right now, and if it was on clay, I would say Nadal.
I also think Nadal is capable of beating Marat on grass...:p

Agent X
05-18-2005, 07:33 PM
Nadal would win convincingly on clay, Safin just wouldn't have the patience to be able to keep on rallying.

Hard would be tough to call. Maybe Safin would be slight favourite, but the thing is to beat Nadal you have to be playing very consistently and not making a lot of errors. I'd say its pretty much 50-50

Carpet/Indoor is where Safin would get the most victories. Its probably his best surface and probably Nadal's worst.

Grass you'd have to give the edge to Nadal, although he hasn't played too many matches on it. Safin has a lot better weapons for grass courts than Nadal but has a mental block in his head when it comes to playing on it. Safin should be a lot better than he is on grass, looking at his game it probably suits his game the most but he just doesn't produce on it.

Bibir
05-18-2005, 07:42 PM
Don't you think Skyward that Marat fans are enough frustrated with his actual level of play?

Even TF, the poll prince prevented himself from such a depressing poll. :p

Skyward
05-18-2005, 07:42 PM
Nadal would win convincingly on clay, Safin just wouldn't have the patience to be able to keep on rallying.

I think that Safin is one of the few players on tour whose weapons can make those rallies a lot shorter, even on clay.

Skyward
05-18-2005, 07:46 PM
Don't you think Skyward that Marat fans are enough frustrated with his actual level of play?

Even TF, the poll prince prevented himself from such a depressing poll. :p

It has nothing to do with Marat's current level. Every player has a few opponents he especially doesn't want to see across the net. Imo, Safin could be the one for Nadal.

mer
05-18-2005, 07:50 PM
There is no sense in this discussion until "given days" and his match schedule start to coincide (in some miracle way) :rolleyes: :sad:

Agent X
05-18-2005, 07:52 PM
I think that Safin is one of the few players on tour whose weapons can make those rallies a lot shorter, even on clay.

Possibly yes, but whether he could produce it over the course of a match is another thing. Look how much he struggles against Santoro, someone who just always makes you hit 1 extra ball. Plus Nadal moves even better than Santoro.

MariaV
05-18-2005, 07:53 PM
right now, the "Hot Tatar" would lose in straights :drool:

Alfonso, you make me :sad: just like Marat at the moment.
But I agree with you at the moment.... at the moment.

Who knows when his head might come back on, maybe RG? :shrug:

Sandra
05-18-2005, 07:54 PM
Well,if Marat is in a good day yeah I am 100%he can beat Nadal,even on clay.But i doubt a good day will come soon...:sad:

Skyward
05-18-2005, 08:01 PM
Look how much he struggles against Santoro, someone who just always makes you hit 1 extra ball.

Santoro is a totally different player. He frustrates Marat by using all his variety. Nadal is not capable of it just yet ( see my initial post).

Puschkin
05-18-2005, 08:01 PM
Independent of current form, this is a match I have been waiting for for quite some time by now....

Bibir
05-18-2005, 11:24 PM
It has nothing to do with Marat's current level. Every player has a few opponents he doesn't want to see across the net. Imo, Safin could be the one for Nadal.
ok, maybe..I really don't know as they never played against each other.

Safin with his head on?

The real question should be : Is Safin unbeatable with his head on? or is Safin an OAF when he loses?

As a Marat fan I have to admit that I fantasize he's unbeatable (with his head on). :angel:

But Safin with his head on almost lost in the first round of TMS Paris Bercy 2004 against Ljubicic...5 days later he was the winner of the tournament.

He almost lost in R32 of US Open 2000 against Grosjean (7/6 in the 5th set) before winning the tournament in such a big way....:shrug:

Scotso
05-19-2005, 07:51 AM
Marat may be able to beat everyone on a given day, provided they don't play at their best. The same can be said of any player.

And no, Nadal's topspin would certainly not be in Marat's power zone.

binkygirl
05-19-2005, 08:03 AM
Skyward, I just love the fact that you add 'with his head on' for Safin. Lol. :p

MariaV
05-19-2005, 08:12 AM
Independent of current form, this is a match I have been waiting for for quite some time by now....

Me too actually Margareta! But I want Marat to be "with his head on", i.e. to be at his best then so it would be a good match. :cool:

Neely
05-19-2005, 08:19 AM
Like I always say, Marat WOULD totally outgun Federer, Nadal, Roddick, Hewitt & and everybody else; no matter how well his opponents are playing, it would only depend on Safin himself. Would Marat be only at 110%, his opponents could be at 500% and it would still not be enough for them.
Under such circumstances, IMO Nadal had no chance against Safin (at least not on hardcourt or indoors).

But as we all know, in reality, the h2h at the end of their careers would probably be something like 6-2 in favour of Nadal because Nadal will be the one who is able to deliver his level much more frequently than Safin.

kosi
05-19-2005, 08:19 AM
Marat may be able to beat everyone on a given day, provided they don't play at their best. The same can be said of any player.

And no, Nadal's topspin would certainly not be in Marat's power zone.

I think Marat's flat power full BH will not work against Nadal's huge top-spin FH. Since, Safin doest top-spin the ball with the BH, he may spray the ball all over the court how Federer did in Miami in the 1st set. Federer could not time the ball initially in Miami. The same thing may happen to safin. But federer is a sort of player who can adjust his game according to the opponent. But safin does not have the mentality and does not have much options to change his game according to the opponent, IMO. ;)

MariaV
05-19-2005, 08:44 AM
Like I always say, Marat WOULD totally outgun Federer, Nadal, Roddick, Hewitt & and everybody else; no matter how well his opponents are playing, it would only depend on Safin himself. Would Marat be only at 110%, his opponents could be at 500% and it would still not be enough for them.
Under such circumstances, IMO Nadal had no chance against Safin (at least not on hardcourt or indoors).

But as we all know, in reality, the h2h at the end of their careers would probably be something like 6-2 in favour of Nadal because Nadal will be the one who is able to deliver his level much more frequently than Safin.

I do agree with you Neely! :wavey: I mean dunno about TOTALLY outgun, esp. Fed... but he sure could beat anyone. It's definitely only up to Marat himself. Ahh.

Shadow
05-19-2005, 08:49 AM
ok, maybe..I really don't know as they never played against each other.

Safin with his head on?

The real question should be : Is Safin unbeatable with his head on? or is Safin an OAF when he loses?

As a Marat fan I have to admit that I fantasize he's unbeatable (with his head on). :angel:

But Safin with his head on almost lost in the first round of TMS Paris Bercy 2004 against Ljubicic...5 days later he was the winner of the tournament.

He almost lost in R32 of US Open 2000 against Grosjean (7/6 in the 5th set) before winning the tournament in such a big way....:shrug:

lol bea, even if he wins a tournament it doesn`t mean he has had his head on in every match. Its simply not possible for Marat. He always has some "bad" matches in a tourney.

NYCtennisfan
05-19-2005, 09:08 AM

Marat was at or very near his best at the AO Open and didn't "outgun" Federer. Federer hit more winners, more aces, and won more points. Marat did push him off the court on many points but Federer pushed him around on quite a few points himself. I think Roddick can stay with him too despite his mediocre bh. as long as his FH and serve are on.

Exodus
05-19-2005, 09:12 AM
Safin at his very best eats Roddick for breakfast LOL

Chloe le Bopper
05-19-2005, 09:19 AM
Would Marat be only at 110%, his opponents could be at 500% and it would still not be enough for them.

Yes, I'm sure the entire top 50 gets together and sends him a massive Xmas/Thankyou card each year for not having a winners mentality.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v669/becca_minger/vomit-smiley-020.gif

World Beater
05-19-2005, 09:20 AM
Safin at his very best eats Roddick for breakfast LOL

Really? When has safin been at his best against roddick...safin's last victory was at AO, where roddick gave him indigestion for five sets

Chloe le Bopper
05-19-2005, 09:22 AM
Really? When has safin been at his best against roddick...safin's last victory was at AO, where roddick gave him indigestion for five sets
Safin was only playing at 2% during the two sets that Roddick won, and that had nothing to do with Roddick at all.

World Beater
05-19-2005, 09:27 AM
Safin was only playing at 2% during the two sets that Roddick won, and that had nothing to do with Roddick at all.

2% is too generous..how silly of you...maybe 0.05%

Chloe le Bopper
05-19-2005, 09:30 AM
2% is too generous..how silly of you...maybe 0.05%
True. I was giving too much credit to that Roddick fellow with 2% :(

It's clear to me that Safin just needs to start his own tour, because it's totally unfair to see how mismatched everybody is against him.

Bibir
05-19-2005, 10:08 AM
Yes, I'm sure the entire top 50 gets together and sends him a massive Xmas/Thankyou card each year for not having a winners mentality.

C'mon Chloe, don't you know that Marat can fly! :p

http://theguyfromrussia.com/photogal6/adidasad.jpg

MariaV
05-19-2005, 10:10 AM
Béa, let them have their fun. When Marat will win RG we'll have the laugh again! :D

Puschkin
05-19-2005, 10:12 AM
C'mon Chloe, don't you know that Marat can fly! :p

http://theguyfromrussia.com/photogal6/adidasad.jpg

I adore this pic, it is from Russia's DC win against France, but you probably know that ;)

Bibir
05-19-2005, 10:37 AM
I adore this pic, it is from Russia's DC win against France, but you probably know that ;)
I probably know that ;) but maybe the others (the non believers) think it's a fake one. :p

This guy can fly.

Clark Kent or Superman?

http://www.safinator.com/IW_05/DSC_0187.jpg http://www.safinator.com/paris504/r722834743.jpg

connectolove
05-19-2005, 10:45 AM
Nadal appears not to have enough movement...Nadal is all about movement. This guy is going to evolve in all directions thanks to his incredible shape and training, you just have to see him running around the court the way he does. Another thing that he does is learning from each opponent and adapt to so many different games.

Nadal now, and most definitely in the future, is the next big thing.

I am so looking forward to RG to see what happens and how everybody fights for their place in the tennis rankings. Nadal's fans will have a good chance to see where he is going.

connectolove
05-19-2005, 10:57 AM
Originally Posted by Bibir
C'mon Chloe, don't you know that Marat can fly!

There are so many pics of Nadal flying already. I think that Marat, as well as Federer, etc, have a really serious opponent. This is good, it means that tennis is going to raise it's level.

There is this woman photographer that says she loves to shoot pics of Nadal because he can fly. She compares him with a jungle cat, two feet off the ground, muscles tense and eyes fixated on the pray... that's my boy.

Bibir
05-19-2005, 11:09 AM
There are so many pics of Nadal flying already. I think that Marat, as well as Federer, etc, have a really serious opponent. This is good, it means that tennis is going to raise it's level.

Sure, if Marat and Nadal can fly they'll RAISE the level of tennis without any doubt. :)

vincayou
05-19-2005, 11:20 AM

There is this woman photographer that says she loves to shoot pics of Nadal because he can fly. She compares him with a jungle cat, two feet off the ground, muscles tense and eyes fixated on the pray... that's my boy.

But did you know that Nadal can although dissapear from the court, apparently, like a cameleon, and the opponent doesn't know where to play, because he doesn't know WHERE Nadal is. And then he's just THERE, to hit a ferocious forehand, and then he roars and you can see birds flying from the savana, frightened. :worship:

But he's not ready for wimbledon (yet), green is harder to pretend.

linus
05-19-2005, 11:24 AM
:bolt: the guy marat is such a remarkble player, we can say anything about his previous failures, but we can't predicate his RG now :secret: :secret:

of course , he maybe fail again, but it won't depend on the opponent is rafael at all;

and maybe he will go ahead and make us cry and cry and moved, who knows? :yippee: :bigwave: :woohoo: :nerner: :drive:

hablovah19
05-19-2005, 11:33 AM
I would love to see Safin play Nadal, with his head on, of course!!! :devil:

I think Safin would win ;) not sure if it would be on clay though :p

(but I'm biais :lol: )

Deivid23
05-19-2005, 11:35 AM
But did you know that Nadal can although dissapear from the court, apparently, like a cameleon, and the opponent doesn't know where to play, because he doesn't know WHERE Nadal is. And then he's just THERE, to hit a ferocious forehand, and then he roars and you can see birds flying from the savana, frightened. :worship:

Didn´t you know that Nadal is the only player that can make a passing-shot from the other side of the net off his own overhead?

connectolove
05-19-2005, 11:38 AM
I haven't seen this, but I heard that Nadal can make himself smaller or taller, depending on the game and the oponent, and yes, he can dissapear and appear somewhere else, this is general knowledge.

I have also heard that Nadal can go for weeks without eating and drinking so he won't have to leave the courts to do anything at RG.

Anybody else that wants to share the unbelievable and special qualities of Super-Nadal that we haven't heard of yet?

Billy Moonshine
05-19-2005, 11:55 AM
Safin would beat Nadal. He has more flair.
Nadal is a little predictable really. I think Safin would outhit and outwit him.
Sure Nadal will beat him somedays, but not when Safin is on.
I like Nadal but I think its a little soon to start talking about him as a future great, he has a lot to do yet, like even make the QF of a GS.

its.like.that
05-19-2005, 01:00 PM
lol... Marat cant even beat Almagro... so Nadal is a no contest :p

Auscon
05-19-2005, 01:25 PM
would be a great match, but Safin complete with noggin would win

On clay, I'd give the edge to Nadal, but it'd go the distance

Skyward
05-19-2005, 03:27 PM
Ihe may spray the ball all over the court how Federer did in Miami in the 1st set. Federer could not time the ball initially in Miami. The same thing may happen to safin.

It's easier to handle Nadal's top spin with 2 hands and Marat's height. bh-is Safin's best shot and Federer's relative weakness.

NYCtennisfan
05-19-2005, 07:33 PM

LMAO!!

kosi
05-20-2005, 05:24 AM
It's easier to handle Nadal's top spin with 2 hands and Marat's height. bh-is Safin's best shot and Federer's relative weakness.

You may be correct . His height may help to handle the bounce of the ball. But if he tries to hit on the rise, then he will get into in trouble. What I feel is, if he hits on the peak of the bounce, then he can time the ball well.

The answer for the question "Can safin beat nadal?" is : Yes.
He can, he has more tools than what nadal has. But still, I doubt in clay. Even safin plays with 100%, I vote for nadal. Nadal can easily frustrate safin by putting the ball back into play. His court coverage ability is too good. :)