Doubles with F.Squillari on ebay [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Doubles with F.Squillari on ebay

JMG
05-18-2005, 10:38 AM
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7156081477

We can still buy our ticket to play in the doubles tournament next week (Ettlingen Challenger 25,000) with Franco Squillari.:lol:

So does it mean that the winner of the auction will be in the doubles entry ranking with one point in two weeks? :confused:

crouching
05-18-2005, 10:42 AM
You need to obtain points from three different tournaments in the past 52 weeks to have any sort of ranking, don't you?

El Legenda
05-18-2005, 10:46 AM
does he need money that bad ;)

Pea
05-18-2005, 08:07 PM
Interesting. I would, but that's too far away.;)

ae wowww
05-18-2005, 08:15 PM
I really want to.

joeb_uk
05-18-2005, 08:45 PM
How much would you pay? ae wowww?

joseluismb
05-18-2005, 09:13 PM
is this for real?

JMG
05-18-2005, 09:15 PM
is this for real?

This is a real auction. I got the news and the link from the tournament website.

joeb_uk
05-18-2005, 09:17 PM
This is a real auction. I got the news and the link from the tournament website.
You would have thought they would use another account instead of a newbie with no rating :shrug:

JMG
05-18-2005, 09:22 PM
You would have thought they would use another account instead of a newbie with no rating :shrug:

No, why should I? :confused: I don't understand. :o

Neely
05-18-2005, 09:23 PM
I'm not sure if the tournament ever had an auction before, so they have to start at zero for that.

joeb_uk
05-18-2005, 09:24 PM
No, why should I? :confused: I don't understand. :o
Well its a well known fact people are less likely to bid on expensive items with total noobies who have no feedback at all.

ae wowww
05-18-2005, 09:25 PM
I don't know how much I'd bid JB, I bid up to 500 Euros just now :sad:

Agent X
05-18-2005, 09:26 PM
Oh my god that is unreal. This guy is a former Grand Slam Semi Finalist, I cant believe hes selling away his pride for a bit of money :rolleyes:

I would consider bidding but I dont like playing doubles with a partner that is weaker than me, its too frustrating :p

Scotso
05-19-2005, 06:55 AM
Oh my god that is unreal. This guy is a former Grand Slam Semi Finalist, I cant believe hes selling away his pride for a bit of money :rolleyes:

I seriously doubt the money is for him.

Scotso
05-19-2005, 06:55 AM
You need to obtain points from three different tournaments in the past 52 weeks to have any sort of ranking, don't you?

No. That's the women's tour... and I think it's 4 events.

Neely
05-19-2005, 07:25 AM
I seriously doubt the money is for him.
After reading the homepage of the tournament, it sounds more like a PR instrument.

JMG
05-19-2005, 07:48 PM
The winner paid 1324 €.

They wrote in the descripton that another "good" player will replace Squillari, if he wins tomorrow (in Rolland Garros).

smucav
06-12-2005, 06:31 PM
http://news.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2005/06/12/ntennis12.xmlStudent wins world tennis rank with £1,324 internet bid
By Gavin Versi
(Filed: 12/06/2005)

The organisers of a professional tennis tournament have auctioned a wildcard into the main draw of a doubles competition over eBay, the internet auction site.

Tobi Och, an 18-year-old student who paid £1,324, won the place in last month's Baden Open and with it a world ranking.

Initially Och's partner was to have been Franco Squillari, an Argentine player ranked 11th in the world. But because of his possible involvement in the French Open in Paris, Squillari had to withdraw and his place was taken by Frank Moser, a professional with a doubles ranking of 167.

The organisers are unrepentant about allowing an unknown amateur to bid his way into a professional tournament, insisting that it was part of an attempt to increase interest in the event.

Proceeds from the auction, which took place last month, went to charitable causes in Ettlingen, the town in south-west Germany that stages the event. The organisers stressed that the auction rules did not allow a person who was totally useless at the game to bid for a wildcard place.

The rules stated: "So as not to lose sight of sporting considerations, the winner should be able to demonstrate an adequate playing standard." Och, who would like to play professionally, had to prove himself as a tennis player before being allowing to compete. "A wildcard is always a very valuable thing and you can't give it away to players who, with respect, are 50 years or older, or just want to show off," said Oliver Muller, the tournament's director.

Despite Och's amateur status, he and Moser put in a respectable performance in their first match, going down 4-6, 6-4, 6-1 to the fourth-seeded pair.

Och's auction fee and his tournament expenses were paid by his sponsors, Tippen4you, an internet betting company. He now has a doubles world ranking of 1,754 and, depending on the strength of the fields, can gain entry into doubles draws of other competitions.

Mr Muller said that he was delighted with the publicity the initiative had generated and planned to do the same at future events.

Other tournaments may follow suit after the Association of Tennis Professionals, which sanctions challenger events, offered no objection.

"Wildcards are distributed at the discretion of tournaments, not the governing body," a spokesman said.

The Women's Tennis Association, however, is unlikely to tolerate the practice. A spokesman said that tournament entry should be "merit-based".

Mr Muller said that the auctioning of wildcards would be confined strictly to the doubles competition. "I will never do this in singles," he said.

© Copyright of Telegraph Group Limited 2005.

LuckyAC
06-12-2005, 06:41 PM
If he was playing with Squillari, they probably would have won, since he went three sets with only Moser. I'd feel pretty cheated by the change if I were Och after paying $2000, although I guess there was a warning in the auction.

Neely
06-12-2005, 10:07 PM
And at the same time it was a good promotion for Och's "sponsor"...

At least Och didn't seem to be totally useless and they even won a set!

Scotso
06-13-2005, 11:17 AM
If he was playing with Squillari, they probably would have won, since he went three sets with only Moser. I'd feel pretty cheated by the change if I were Och after paying $2000, although I guess there was a warning in the auction.

"Frank Moser, a professional with a doubles ranking of 167."

Somehow I think he is probably a better doubles player than Squillari.