Coria complained of exhaustion then plays World Team Cup [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Coria complained of exhaustion then plays World Team Cup

uNIVERSE mAN
05-18-2005, 02:43 AM
Anyone have any insight on wtf this is all about?

binkygirl
05-18-2005, 03:02 AM
Maybe he got a good guarantee under the table.

WyveN
05-18-2005, 03:07 AM
For someone who has a history of cramps in long matches, playing yourself to exhaustion in meaningless exhibtions week before a clay grand slam is a masterstroke.

for-sure
05-18-2005, 03:58 AM
dumb

Devotee
05-18-2005, 04:07 AM
When did Coria complain of exhaustion?

tennischick
05-18-2005, 04:18 AM
maybe he's a professional who simply decided to keep his word :shrug:

buddyholly
05-18-2005, 05:02 AM
It's all about money.

Devotee
05-18-2005, 05:06 AM
It's all about money.

But I thought the main thing in the world that Coria cares so much about is being prepared to win Roland Garros? :confused:

*Ljubica*
05-18-2005, 05:36 AM
I can't stand Coria :devil: but in this instance I think it is just a case that he gave his word to the organisers a long while ago, so probably should be commended for keeping that word instead of pulling out with some lame excuse. He has played a lot recently (finals in Monte Carlo and Rome and a quarter final in Hamburg) which would explain his exhaustion - but obviously no one can guarantee getting to the final stages on Masters' events, so I guess he commtted to WTC before he knew he would play so much and then went along with it He isn't playing singles against Chile anyway which will give him more rest.

Carolinita
05-18-2005, 06:09 AM
I'm not interested in it :o

NYCtennisfan
05-18-2005, 06:17 AM
I think he really needed some rest before RG because you know he will make a run. If he's keeping his word, though, good for him.

connectolove
05-18-2005, 07:06 AM
Yes, I followed the World Cup yesterday and I was wondering the same thing. It is probably money, or he is upset because he hasn't won any tournaments and thinks that he has a chance at the World Cup.

lucashg
05-18-2005, 07:09 AM
Yes, I followed the World Cup yesterday and I was wondering the same thing. It is probably money, or he is upset because he hasn't won any tournaments and thinks that he has a chance at the World Cup.

:o

Truc
05-18-2005, 07:22 AM
When did Coria complain of exhaustion?
After his loss in Hamburg, he said: "I’m tired mentally and physically."

I don't think it's a question of money or he wants to win at least this title because he hasn't won any other tournament this year :lol: . Like Rosie said, he just gave his word to the organisators.
But he takes it quite easy so far, I saw his first match and it rather looked like an exhibition.

Clara Bow
05-18-2005, 07:46 AM
He said he would play. He is playing.

lau
05-18-2005, 07:53 AM
What would happen if he didn`t play?? Maybe a thread "Coria gives his word and doesn`t play World Team Cup"?? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: I don´t like some of Coria´s attitudes, but this is going way too far... ;)
And this is not a very demanding (is this the word?) tournament for him (....although the matches against Chile will be tough ones, but I don´t know if he`s playing the singles...): he has got great team partners and doesn´t need to play all the ties...., they (the national teams) don´t even play all the tournament´s days!!! I would be more concerned (not much) about Gonzalez or Massú, who are great clay players, and have the responsability of the most important matches..... and (I`m not sure about this, maybe Carolinita can help me here) they really want to win this tournament ;).
Anyway, all the players would be training in Paris if they were not playing this tournament ;) .

tennyfan
05-18-2005, 12:24 PM
From what I understand, this tournament is a very relaxed atmosphere, and Coria is actually having fun, joking with the crowd, etc. There are no points to defend, but yet winning a few more matches is beneficial in rebuilding the confidence he lost after the shoulder surgery. I also understand he is working on shortening the points with more aggressive shots. Best to work on this style here rather than at Roland Garros where there is more at stake. He will at the most play 4 matches and more than likely only 2-3. This is better preparation for Roland Garros than just hitting around with a practice partner. IMO playing WTC is a win-win situation for Coria, and kudos for him for keeping his word.

star
05-18-2005, 12:38 PM
He also has said in his press conferences that he thinks the best preperation for RG is to have a lot of tennis in his legs. I'm a little worried about him being too tired, but he's said that in a number of interviews.

Also he is an Argentine. He loved playing for his country in Davis Cup, and this is another opportunity for him. :)

nermo
05-18-2005, 04:16 PM
well , he better knows what he s really doing and going through..RG is not going to be easy ..needs a lot of mental and physical preparation..cuz neither he nor his fans is going to withstand losing cuz of injury or cramp... it ll be very hard...

ys
05-18-2005, 04:18 PM
It's just an exhibition. he has to practice anyway, so why not playing few exhibition matches instead?

Bilbo
05-18-2005, 04:24 PM
Argentina won't win the title anyway. Chile will do it again.

TennisLurker
05-18-2005, 04:25 PM
if coria is not playing against chile, we wont win, indeed.

tangerine_dream
05-18-2005, 04:36 PM
What would happen if he didn`t play?? Maybe a thread "Coria gives his word and doesn`t play World Team Cup"?? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Of course. Even when he DOES keep his promised commitments, someone had to go create a negative thread about it anyway.

nermo
05-18-2005, 04:42 PM
What would happen if he didn`t play?? Maybe a thread "Coria gives his word and doesn`t play World Team Cup"?? posted by Lau

nice point :yeah: :bigclap:

Agent X
05-18-2005, 04:54 PM
Coria shouldn't complain about a thing when he's got the delightful Carla to go home to :inlove:

lau
05-18-2005, 04:55 PM
Maybe he got a good guarantee under the table.
Not under the table... It is well known that this tournament pays quite a lot to the players ;) That`s not a secret... :rolleyes:

Carito_90
05-18-2005, 05:36 PM
He said he would play. He is playing.

No need to say anything else. Period.