Another great thing about Roger you´ve probably overlooked... [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Another great thing about Roger you´ve probably overlooked...

Deivid23
05-16-2005, 11:28 PM
Thanks for coming, Roger´s fans, but this thread is not about Federer. ;)

I think we all have thought about resemblances among active players concerning their sytles. Here´s the first one that came up to my mind:

Arthurs / Carlsen / F.López ("Lefties-all-about-serve" Crew)

Certainly it looks like Arthurs and Carlsen are like twin brothers on court and F.López should be the 80´s-version (designers spent all their time in making the robot more likeable at girls´eyes, but not much of an improvement of old ones concerning tennis abilities, honestly ;) )

Feel free to add any resemblance you find.

lucashg
05-16-2005, 11:32 PM
You can also start Nadal threads if you think the amount he received during Monte-Carlo, Barcelona and Rome weren't enough. But you're probably waiting for Roland Garros, aren't you? Smart.

DanEd
05-16-2005, 11:33 PM
Moya/Blake
Seppi/Chela
Johansson Joachim/Ivo Karlovic

Deboogle!.
05-16-2005, 11:35 PM
Moya and Blake?????? Besides both liking their forehands, they don't really play much alike at all? :scratch:

DanEd
Massu/Canas

Deivid23
Enqvist / Soderling anyone?

Sjengster
05-16-2005, 11:36 PM
I have to say, I was expecting something as unimaginative as my thread below, but this is interesting... Feli has slightly better groundstrokes than Arthurs and Carlsen, surely? I can't see either of them beating Agassi on a slow clay court no matter how badly the latter is playing, that's for sure.

Fragile flat hitters without massive power: Henman, Kiefer, Escude, Clement, Bjorkman, Novak, Stepanek, Fish, Youzhny... the kind of people Hewitt eats for breakfast.

Sjengster
05-16-2005, 11:37 PM
Massu/Canas

Canas doesn't deserve to be insulted like that.

Sjengster
05-16-2005, 11:38 PM

This is where you need Aphex and GWH to give you a handy catch-all term for these two. Hint: it ain't complimentary. ;)

DanEd
05-16-2005, 11:38 PM
Fernando Gonzalez/Calleri

Sjengster
05-16-2005, 11:39 PM
Verdasco/Labadze

Agent X
05-16-2005, 11:41 PM
Federer and Gasquet have similar styles I think.

Chela and Seppi

Andy Murray and Nalbandian.

Deivid23
05-16-2005, 11:43 PM
I have to say, I was expecting something as unimaginative as my thread below, but this is interesting... Feli has slightly better groundstrokes than Arthurs and Carlsen, surely? I can't see either of them beating Agassi on a slow clay court no matter how badly the latter is playing, that's for sure.

I must admit you´re right, but I´ve also witnessed some matches where Feli looked like a bad version of his grandpas Wayne & Kenneth. Therefore I think the comparison is fair enough ;)

Fragile flat hitters without massive power: Henman, Kiefer, Escude, Clement, Bjorkman, Novak, Stepanek, Fish, Youzhny... the kind of people Hewitt eats for breakfast.

About flat hitters, the best resemblance I´ve found quickly is that Swedish connection above, anyway I´ll think more about this.

Sjengster
05-16-2005, 11:43 PM
Kucera/Hernych (I didn't come up with that one, though)
Gonzalez/Philippoussis/Srichaphan - go for broke, and if it ain't broke it can't be fixed.

Deivid23
05-16-2005, 11:44 PM
Verdasco/Labadze

I´ve always found similar that booming flat fh dtl when being on pressure :)

DanEd
05-16-2005, 11:45 PM
Taylor Dent/Max Mirnyi

DanEd
05-16-2005, 11:47 PM
Olivier Rochus/Christophe Rochus :p

Sjengster
05-16-2005, 11:47 PM
I must admit you´re right, but I´ve also witnessed some matches where Feli looked like a bad version of his grandpas Wayne & Kenneth. Therefore I think the comparison is fair enough ;)

About flat hitters, the best resemblance I´ve found quickly is that Swedish connection above, anyway I´ll think more about this.

Ah, you must have enjoyed that US Open match against Hewitt last year... the first 12 points of the match lost by Lopez, I believe?

I was thinking of including the Swedes since they are flat hitters and they are also Hewitt's pigeons, but they don't really fall into the "without too much power" category since they can all crack their serves and Pim-Pim in particular will get Mach 5 on both serve and forehand.

Deivid23
05-16-2005, 11:48 PM
This is where you need Aphex and GWH to give you a handy catch-all term for these two. Hint: it ain't complimentary. ;)

I had fresh in my mind when George talked about Soderling being a poor man´s Enqvist a few days ago.

Sjengster
05-16-2005, 11:48 PM
Ivan Ljubicic/Martin Verkerk. And you can make Safin the third member of that trio when it comes to grass.

Deivid23
05-16-2005, 11:50 PM
Seppi/Chela

Good one, I agree

oneandonlyhsn
05-16-2005, 11:53 PM
I noticed too how similar Federer and Gasquet play. From their groundstrokes to their backhands. They both strike the ball so beautifully.

Deivid23
05-16-2005, 11:53 PM
Taylor Dent/Max Mirnyi

Imo, Mirnyi´s serve is better and more regular and Dent is better when approaching, but yes both volley pretty well and your resemblance is logical.

Deivid23
05-16-2005, 11:55 PM
I noticed too how similar Federer and Gasquet play. From their groundstrokes to their backhands. They both strike the ball so beautifully.

Imo Gasquet´s backhand is better and more powerful than Roger´s one. He also dropshots better than Roger. But Roger moves better, has a much better forehand and varied serve, also volleys and returns better... All in all, I don´t find too much of a resemblance between them

Sjengster
05-16-2005, 11:56 PM
Dent/Mirnyi/Gonzalez all fall into the same category of being players who win and lose on their own terms, who can beat anyone when their game is firing but are very inconsistent throughout the course of a year with one good week and half a dozen bad ones. Gonzo and Dent have produced two absolute classics the two times they have met.

Agent X
05-16-2005, 11:57 PM
Bjorkman/Henman
Rusedski/F Lopez
Agassi/Davydenko

Deivid23
05-16-2005, 11:58 PM
Ivan Ljubicic/Martin Verkerk. And you can make Safin the third member of that trio when it comes to grass.

Dunno, I didn´t see much of Verkerk apart from that 2003 year, but I have the feeling he goes more for his shots and has a bit of more firepower than Ivan, doesn´t he?

Sjengster
05-16-2005, 11:58 PM
Davydenko has been described by GWH as PMK (Poor Man's Kafelnikov), but I can see the resemblance to Agassi as well... that might explain why I dislike both of them.

Sjengster
05-17-2005, 12:00 AM
Dunno, I didn´t see much of Verkerk apart from that 2003 year, but I have the feeling he goes more for his shots and has a bit of more firepower than Ivan, doesn´t he?

Very big servers who play from the baseline and have huge backswings on their groundies, therefore neither will ever do much on grass despite people predicting that they will because of the serve. Verkerk is probably the bigger hitting and more aggressive player of the two, but both have the backhand as their stronger side.

Deivid23
05-17-2005, 12:02 AM
Dent/Mirnyi/Gonzalez all fall into the same category of being players who win and lose on their own terms, who can beat anyone when their game is firing but are very inconsistent throughout the course of a year with one good week and half a dozen bad ones. Gonzo and Dent have produced two absolute classics the two times they have met.

Couldn´t watch that US Open match, but I remember the fight in Athens.

vincayou
05-17-2005, 12:29 AM
Nadal/F.Lopez ;)

Deivid23
05-17-2005, 12:36 AM
Nadal/F.Lopez ;)

Like clockwork, that was a comparison I was waiting for ;)

Agent X
05-17-2005, 12:38 AM
Nadal/F.Lopez ;)

:haha:

vincayou
05-17-2005, 12:43 AM
Like clockwork, that was a comparison I was waiting for ;)

I don't even remember how F.Lopez is playing. :p

Agent X
05-17-2005, 12:51 AM
I don't even remember how F.Lopez is playing. :p

Not very well :p

Caralimon
05-17-2005, 01:12 AM
Horna / Alb. Martín

bad gambler
05-17-2005, 02:01 AM
hewitt and canas are dead ringers

also similar with the intangibles as well - got hearts as big as a lion

bad gambler
05-17-2005, 02:04 AM
Agassi/Davydenko
dont insult agassi like that

TennisLurker
05-17-2005, 02:08 AM
seppi/chela, we were denied of a battle of the clones in Hamburg.. :(

bad gambler
05-17-2005, 02:09 AM
hewitt and canas are dead ringers

also similar with the intangibles as well - got hearts as big as a lion

oh i also forgot to add, they also seem to enjoy feasting on a certain pommy serve volleyer :devil:

TennisLurker
05-17-2005, 02:12 AM

I dont think hewitt eats Escude for Breakfast, jiri had a victory finally last year :eek:

Id put Escude/Bjorkman as ServeVolleyers with 2 handers

DanEd
05-17-2005, 02:15 AM
why does everybody think massu is so boring?

Sjengster
05-17-2005, 02:17 AM
OK, I'll give you Escude, but most of his victories were before Hewitt became a real top player, two of them were on old-fashioned grass courts that favoured his serve-volley game and they still went the five-set distance. I wouldn't expect Hewitt to struggle nowadays even against an Escude in full health, which is looking increasingly unlikely.

Novak did beat Hewitt once before at the Hopman Cup at the start of 2003 by taking pace off the ball and going for placement instead, but it obviously didn't count as an exhibition win and the last match they played before Tokyo was a 6-2, 6-1 win for Hewitt in Toronto. I won't call Novak's victory a fluke, but it probably doesn't herald a turnaround in the head-to-head.

Agent X
05-17-2005, 02:18 AM
why does everybody think massu is so boring?

He takes about 2 minutes in between every point. Sometimes even longer if he's playing a player he knows likes to play quick. I don't like his gamesmanship.

He's also got a pretty boring game, not much character and nothing much to like about him...Just my opinion though :)

Sjengster
05-17-2005, 02:20 AM
X-Man, you should see my song about Massu's Olympic triumph in the Tennis Songs thread, I feel it summed up the whole event fairly well. It's called The Sound of Massu, and here's what I probably should have put in the lyrics: "Heurrggghhhh!!!!! Heurrggghhhhhh!!!!! HEURRRRGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!! VAMOS VAMOS VAMOS VAMOS VAMOS VAMOOOSSSSS!!!!!!" Cue another bout of laboured off-forehands and tortuous grinding rallies.

Agent X
05-17-2005, 02:22 AM
X-Man, you should see my song about Massu's Olympic triumph in the Tennis Songs thread, I feel it summed up the whole event fairly well. It's called The Sound of Massu, and here's what I probably should have put in the lyrics: "Heurrggghhhh!!!!! Heurrggghhhhhh!!!!! HEURRRRGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!! VAMOS VAMOS VAMOS VAMOS VAMOS VAMOOOSSSSS!!!!!!" Cue another bout of laboured off-forehands and tortuous grinding rallies.

:haha: I didnt see that. Sums him up perfectly

Action Jackson
05-17-2005, 03:50 AM
Great thread

Kafelnikov/Davydenko
Corretja/Mantilla

azza
05-17-2005, 04:49 AM
Mark and Marat

Aphex
05-17-2005, 07:19 AM