So Nadal REALLY beat Federer in 2004! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

So Nadal REALLY beat Federer in 2004!

connectolove
05-16-2005, 08:43 PM
There has been a little confusion as to if Nadal ever def. Fed in a match and YES, he did in 2004 Miami AMS, Hard, R32 FL, U.S.A. Nadal won for
6 3 6 3 .

Then they met again in 2005 ATP Masters Series Miami,
FL, U.S.A. and Federer won 6 2 7 6 6 7 3 6 1 6

They are even... for now.

El Legenda
05-16-2005, 08:47 PM
There has been a little confusion as to if Nadal ever def. Fed in a match and YES, he did in 2004 Miami AMS, Hard, R32 FL, U.S.A. Nadal won for
6 3 6 3 .

i think 99% of tennis fans knew that Nadal beat Federer in 2004 in Miami...did u just wake up from long sleep ?

onewoman74
05-16-2005, 08:49 PM
i think 99% of tennis fans knew that Nadal beat Federer in 2004 in Miami...did u just wake up from long sleep ?
:smash: :haha:

Deivid23
05-16-2005, 08:49 PM
6 3 6 3 .

Sorry, it doesn´t count cause Roger wasn´t really trying that day

mitalidas
05-16-2005, 08:53 PM
6 3 6 3 .

Perhaps the only person confused was you
Do you live under a rock or what man

El Legenda
05-16-2005, 08:56 PM
so people should get out more often or watch tv or visit this forum or...im all out

Sjengster
05-16-2005, 08:57 PM
Sorry, it doesn´t count cause Roger wasn´t really trying that day

In fairness, that was one match where I can safely say Federer was not trying as hard as normal, for very good reasons. Nadal proved he's perfectly capable of thrashing a 100% Federer in this year's final, anyway.

connectolove
05-16-2005, 09:04 PM
I wasn't confused but I have read so many posts stating that this never happened...

Oneofakind0490
05-16-2005, 09:05 PM
Federer isn't Serena Willaims you know.

Sjengster
05-16-2005, 09:07 PM
I wasn't confused but I have read so many posts stating that this never happened...

No surprise here - mitalidas will probably tell you it's impossible to step in Birdshit once, let alone twice.

mitalidas
05-16-2005, 09:08 PM
Nadal was in an illustrious group.... with Berdych, Hrbaty, costa, henman and kuerten
Its ironic that none of these guys made any dent on any slam all year 2004

Deivid23
In fairness, that was one match where I can safely say Federer was not trying as hard as normal, for very good reasons. Nadal proved he's perfectly capable of thrashing a 100% Federer in this year's final, anyway.

I guess I know what u r talking about. Roger felt sick in the previous round against Davydenko, but himself declared he felt much better against Nadal and he simply lost to a better player that day. I also watched the match several times and Nadal simply served the best way he would have been able to do in that stage of his career and played very well, Roger felt uncomfortable all the time, bc Nadal´s topspin mainly, but imo it was far away from Federer not trying hard.

El Legenda
No surprise here - mitalidas will probably tell you it's impossible to step in Birdshit once, let alone twice.
i have never stepped in birdshit..but birds have taken a shit on my car ;)

Sjengster
05-16-2005, 09:15 PM
I guess I know what u r talking about. Roger felt sick in the previous round against Davydenko, but himself declared he felt much better against Nadal and he simply lost to a better player that day. I also watched the match several times and Nadal simply served the best way he would have been able to do in that stage of his career and played very well, Roger felt uncomfortable all the time, bc Nadal´s topspin mainly, but imo it was far away from Federer not trying hard.

I don't remember reading that he felt better, but I'll take your word for it and I certainly recall the praise of Nadal, especially Federer's aged, weary comment about "these youngsters" having so much energy these days... LOL, that's why I like him, he's an old man trapped in a tennis player's body at times. One thing I saw when I watched the match was how, after Nadal won a crucial game to lead in the second set, he leaped in the air and vaulted past the net back to his chair, and by the time he had sat down in it Federer had barely crossed the service line on his own side, he was walking so slowly (although he does that all the time anyway, it's true).

It was evident back then that Nadal's heavy topspin forehand to the Federer backhand was giving the latter nightmares, that became even more apparent this year when Nadal worked him off the court with the spin and got so many easy balls in the middle of the court to mop up with his forehand.

connectolove
05-16-2005, 09:23 PM
Nadal is a treat to watch, he is super fast and runs all over the court. I hope he can keep up with the speed for a while.

Deivid23
05-16-2005, 09:27 PM
I don't remember reading that he felt better, but I'll take your word for it and I certainly recall the praise of Nadal, especially Federer's aged, weary comment about "these youngsters" having so much energy these days...

Yes, I´ll try to look for that interview, but take those Federer´s words for granted.

LOL, that's why I like him, he's an old man trapped in a tennis player's body at times. One thing I saw when I watched the match was how, after Nadal won a crucial game to lead in the second set, he leaped in the air and vaulted past the net back to his chair, and by the time he had sat down in it Federer had barely crossed the service line on his own side, he was walking so slowly (although he does that all the time anyway, it's true).

I may be wrong but some times I think Nadal does stuff like that on a some kind of psychological fight with his opponent. He also does it in the toss before the game starts, looks like a boxer floating around his rival and when the toss is finished he sprints to his side of the court. I find it funny.

It was evident back then that Nadal's heavy topspin forehand to the Federer backhand was giving the latter nightmares, that became even more apparent this year when Nadal worked him off the court with the spin and got so many easy balls in the middle of the court to mop up with his forehand.

That match in Miami 2004 was my reason to think about Miami 2005 final as a hard match for Roger. It wasn´t a surprise at all (this is not easy "talking after", those funny guys trying to discredit some opinions can look back and check the poll about who would win that final ;) ) that Nadal gave him a hard time, it´s all about match-ups.

connectolove
05-16-2005, 09:40 PM
posted by Deivid "I may be wrong but some times I think Nadal does stuff like that on a some kind of psychological fight with his opponent. He also does it in the toss before the game starts, looks like a boxer floating around his rival and when the toss is finished he sprints to his side of the court. I find it funny."

You are totally right. I read somewhere that his uncles (one of them ex-professional soccer player & one his coach) used to make fun of him (in a nice way) when in competitions with him bc Rafa never won them. I mean, he was a kid & Rafa used to get really pissed so he developed that inner hunger for winning it all. His "childhood trauma" is helping him to win now.

Agent X
05-16-2005, 09:47 PM
Ok a couple of points regarding this topic.

1. Yes that match did happen.

2. Roger was ill in his previous match. He didn't show any ill effects during the match with Nadal. He didn't play great and Nadal played very well. Roger is obviously the best in the world but is allowed off days, and whether Roger playing badly is due to a bad match up with Rafa or just a coincidence is up to your imagination.

3. Nadal is a lot better on hard courts than people are giving him credit for.

4. Its pretty much a fact that single handed backhanders don't like high topspin shots coming to their backhand. That's why people like Nadal and maybe Verdasco when he becomes a bit more mature will probably be Federer's rivals in the next few years, rather than the likes of Hewitt.

5. Roger is not unbeatable.

El Legenda
05-16-2005, 09:48 PM
Ok a couple of points regarding this topic.

5. Roger is not unbeatable.

yeah he's lost 2 matchs this year. ;)

Roger The Great
05-16-2005, 09:56 PM
I think Rafa is a tough match for anyone right now on any surface. I think grass will take him awhile to be a real threat on but I'm sure he'll be able to do a little damage there too.

As for their last two matches, it was similar to how Roger is against a lot of players the first time or two he plays them. Roger gradually figures an opponent out and becomes difficult for that player to beat him.

In this year's match with Rafa, Roger looked very uncomfortable for the first set or so but really blew chances to win that second set. He gradually got more used to Nadal's game and after re-watching the match a couple of times, he really took it to Nadal in the last two sets. And again, after re-watching I don't know that fatigue was the main reason for that. Roger just really started to impose his game.

Fee
05-16-2005, 10:16 PM

on this board?

Agent X
05-16-2005, 10:18 PM

Don't believe everything you read on here :p

You might also have heard in the last few days that Gasquet has achieved more than Nadal. And is 2 years younger. :rolleyes:

connectolove
05-16-2005, 10:20 PM
Yeeahh, on this board, so I looked for the info. Now I really believe they were trolling and I didn't get it bc one in particular was saying that Nadal was 20 y/o or over. I am a little naive sometimes...

lucashg
05-16-2005, 10:25 PM
:lol: at this thread.

vincayou
05-16-2005, 11:13 PM
Nadal is a treat to watch, he is super fast and runs all over the court. I hope he can keep up with the speed for a while.

Sometimes when he runs very very fast, he almost flies.

Sjengster
05-16-2005, 11:15 PM
He flies straight off the court and into the hearts of all the spectators around him.

Deivid23
05-16-2005, 11:15 PM
Sometimes when he runs very very fast, he almost flies.

Didn´t you know he practises against himself?

vincayou
05-16-2005, 11:17 PM
Didn´t you know he practises against himself?

Yes I have heard about this. But he can do that only on clay I think.

Agent X
05-16-2005, 11:21 PM
He flies straight off the court and into the hearts of all the spectators around him.

:rolleyes: how sweet :p

Beforehand
05-17-2005, 01:39 AM
In all fairness, Federer expected exactly what he got this year.

In his interview he even said that it was hard to play people like Nadal. His exact words were "Before you know it, you're down two sets and a break".

And he was.

Bilbo
05-17-2005, 01:41 AM
Federer was tired as hell in that match so I doesn't count this as a win for Nadal over Federer.

Beforehand
05-17-2005, 01:42 AM
I count it.

But Federer was by no means over his sickness.

connectolove
05-17-2005, 07:01 AM
posted by sjengster "He flies straight off the court and into the hearts of all the spectators around him."

What a nice thing to say...

lucashg
05-17-2005, 08:53 AM

:haha:

Federer was tired as hell in that match so I doesn't count this as a win for Nadal over Federer.

Federer only won in Miami 05 because Nadal was tired as hell. Didn't you know? ...

NYCtennisfan
05-17-2005, 09:06 AM
Nadal's FH into Federer's backhand is always going to be a problem for Federer. I expect some really high quality matches between these two on both clay and hard courts. That being said, the Miami 2004 result while entirely valid does need to be put into perspective. One does not get over heat or sun stroke in a day's time if that was what actually bothered Federer during that match.

lucashg
05-17-2005, 09:31 AM
Nadal's FH into Federer's backhand is always going to be a problem for Federer. I expect some really high quality matches between these two on both clay and hard courts.

Whenever someone pushes Federer's backhand like Nadal does, it's dubious whether we'll see a high-quality match or not. It forces Federer to make more errors than usuall and it's not like his opponent is gonna fire winners. Federer and Nadal particularly seem to turn off each other offensive skills as they're so good defending (though they're better when they're agressive) so it leaves me with the impression that we won't get to see a show-off of both players, ever. Unless they take turns on each other like they did in Miami, where eventually Federer came out as the most agressive, dominant one.

Adman
05-17-2005, 10:22 AM

To True, its common knowledge.

DanEd
05-18-2005, 01:44 AM
NASDAQ-100 OPEN
MIAMI, FLORIDA

March 28, 2004

R. NADAL/R. Federer
6-3, 6-3

ROGER FEDERER

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. Your thoughts on the match? What was he able to do to get you out of rhythm?

ROGER FEDERER: Well, I think it's always difficult to play someone for the first time, first of all. But I think, you know, overall he played a very good match. He was the better player today. It was tough for me to, you know -- I mean, I had time to get the rhythm, but, you know, he played very aggressive and I couldn't quite play maybe the way I wanted to.

Q. Were you surprised how aggressive he did come out? It seemed like every shot he was hitting was perfect.

ROGER FEDERER: He doesn't hit the ball flat and hard. It's more with a lot of spin, which makes the ball bounce, bounce high, and that's a struggle I had today. I tried to get out of it, but kind of couldn't. I thought in the beginning I maybe wasn't going for my shots enough, where in the end I thought I was hitting the ball better. But I felt the match maybe kind of went his way, and, you know, he hit some really incredible shots. That's what youngsters do, so... (Laughter).

Q. Are you surprised such a young guy could come at you like that?

ROGER FEDERER: No, no, I'm not surprised. I've heard a lot about him and saw some matches of him. I think this is not a big surprise for everybody.

Q. You played a lot of tennis this year already. Do you feel more tired physically or mentally?

ROGER FEDERER: My fatigue right now has got nothing to do with all the matches I've played this year. I've been sick, and this was my problem for the imperfect preparation for this tournament. Yesterday I was (going) a lot in the wind. Today I played against a player who was just better. That was my problem for this week. Now I have time to rest and prepare for Davis Cup.

Q. Do you feel better physically than yesterday, or do you feel the same?

ROGER FEDERER: Different. I had a lot of pain in my whole body from the match of yesterday because I couldn't prepare the way I wanted to. But, you know, I didn't feel as tired as yesterday. But tough to explain. Just, you know, I felt what was missing today was just the reactions and maybe the fight in the corners which were not the same than maybe I'm used to.

Q. What do you think is the biggest weapon Nadal has?

ROGER FEDERER: I think his forehand, you know, is for sure his biggest shot in his game, and his all-court speed.

Q. It wasn't long ago you were 17. Can you imagine playing with that attitude against the No. 1 player in the world?

ROGER FEDERER: Was it not good?

Q. It was great. His attitude today, I mean. Could you imagine you at 17 years old...

ROGER FEDERER: Well, we have to get a tape when I played Moya, Moya in Marseille when I was 17. But I think, you know, he's a different character on the court. He relies much more on his fighting spirit, like Lleyton does a little bit, you know, I compare him at his age. So, you know, everyone has their attitude. I think it's a definite good one to have very much success early in his career.

Q. As the world No. 1, still only 22, does it frighten you that he is almost five years younger than you?

ROGER FEDERER: Well, what can you do (smiling)? I think he's put a lot of hard work into his game. We all know that, you know, the youngsters from today - because we feel young, but there's always younger players than you, and, you know, we all remember when we were 17, we already felt we were great players. Then suddenly, you're around for a few years and you feel like, "Well, now I've proven it to everybody I'm a good player." It's totally different view of the game, especially I think interesting are the first three years. So I think he's enjoying his tennis. That's exactly what he should do. We'll see how strong he will be in two years. But, I mean, the start to his career so far has been incredible.

Q. Did you sense that he was nervous at all? Did you see that in him?

ROGER FEDERER: No. In the beginning maybe little bit, when you walk on court. I think he's kind of a little bit shy, you know, on court. He looks at me as an incredible great player, you know. I just felt more of a respect level than nerve.

Q. I guess this win for him tonight must feel, in a way, like it felt for you when you beat Sampras, that sort of major victory, that major breakthrough. How important is that kind of victory to your career?

ROGER FEDERER: For me, it was -- I think it's -- I don't know if you can compare. Mine was in Wimbledon, you know. Definitely this is also big tournament, but, I don't know, it's tough because I'm still not much, much older than he is. Sampras, for me, was more of -- I think more than I am for him. He's got different idols, I think (smiling). For me, I think this win counts little bit different for us.

Q. How will you prepare for the Davis Cup?

ROGER FEDERER: How I will prepare? The way we always do (smiling).

Q. When do you go to Switzerland?

ROGER FEDERER: I don't know when I'm leaving, when I'm arriving to the team. They started practicing on Monday, which is tomorrow. They will start the practice tomorrow, and I will join them when I get back to Switzerland. So when that will be, I don't know.

Q. Do you think the heat stroke that you got in Indian Wells, although you've got a thick head of black hair, do you think of wearing a cap in those conditions perhaps next time?

ROGER FEDERER: It's a good point which I thought about. But it's really the first time I've experienced something like this. I've played in some heat in my career. So, I mean, I'll try to continue playing the way I did. If I will get it a second time, then I'll put even more thoughts into it (laughter)... and start playing with a cap, thanks to you (laughter).

Q. What's closest to your heart - to win Davis Cup or the Gold Medal in the Olympics this year?

ROGER FEDERER: Olympics would mean more to me.

Q. Do you go with any particular plan today and you couldn't make it happen, or you went just to see? Considering that you do not have a coach right now and you're coaching yourself, how did you prepare for the match in this case?

ROGER FEDERER: Well, I think the difficulty was that I've never played him, so that makes it more difficult. He's a young player who takes, you know -- you never know what he will do next because he's very unpredictable. He will suddenly take a lot of risks. That's what he sometimes did and surprised me. So for me, you know, it was important to, you know, to try to play aggressive. But I felt, you know, the conditions were very slow out there and maybe lost a little bit of my confidence in the early -- beginning of the match. I came to the net a few times and missed my chances there. He passed me well. So this is actually when maybe already I started to lose a little bit, you know, of confidence, when the match went his way. I started to take more chances from the baseline and maybe I played a little bit too much from the baseline with him instead of maybe coming to the net more. It's definitely got something to do with his game as well; he didn't allow me to. That's the way he played.

Q. How do you think you'll do at the French Open on clay this year?

ROGER FEDERER: Myself?

Q. Uh-hmm.

ROGER FEDERER: Long way to go. I don't know. Looking forward to it, you know. I can only do better than the last two years. I didn't win a set, so... (Laughing). My goal is to do better and hopefully win a round. But I've proven in the past on clay, you know, it can also work out for me. It's definitely one of the -- I have high hopes in the French Open this year.

End of FastScripts….

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

bouncer7
03-14-2013, 02:20 PM
Losing to 17y/o kid :haha: weak era at its best.

bounccer
03-14-2013, 02:28 PM
Federer goal for the French in 2004 was "maybe, win a round." ? :ouch:

No wonder why he was so easy going after his loss against Kuerten, he had basically zero expectation.

asmazif
03-14-2013, 02:43 PM
Nadal was in an illustrious group.... with Berdych, Hrbaty, costa, henman and kuerten
Its ironic that none of these guys made any dent on any slam all year 2004

as if Henners didn't have an epic 2004 in the slams.

as if. as(maz)if. genius.

abraxas21
03-14-2013, 02:44 PM
what a mug

Sri
03-14-2013, 03:04 PM
Federer goal for the French in 2004 was "maybe, win a round." ? :ouch:

No wonder why he was so easy going after his loss against Kuerten, he had basically zero expectation.

:devil::worship::worship: