Top Spin 2 & Top Spin for PS2 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Top Spin 2 & Top Spin for PS2

Auscon
05-16-2005, 07:31 PM
The E3 convention has just recently started, and already announced, Top Spin 2 is being made for the Xbox 360

The Top Spin and Amped licenses were acquired from Microsoft when Take-Two purchased the Utah-based developer responsible for the games. The studio, now called Indie Built, recently announced Top Spin for the PlayStation.

In Top Spin 2, gamers will be able to play as, with, or against 24 professional players, including Andy Roddick, James Blake, Roger Federer, and Maria Sharapova. A new create-a-player function using the new DigitalIdentity system allows gamers to customize characters' look, from physical features to wardrobe.

With the new high-definition technology of the 360, the graphics will see improvements in the players' animations, stadiums, and crowds. Top Spin 2 will also have new strokes, including all new risk shots.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/05/16/news_6124647.html

And for PS2 owners....

Top Spin will be serving some heat on the PS2 this summer. The game has not yet been rated or priced.

Top Spin brings 16 of the top professional tennis players to the court in singles and doubles competition. The PS2 version includes Maria Sharapova, Venus Williams, Roger Federer, and more. There's no word on whether "tennis player" Anna Kournikova will return in the PS2 edition. Top Spin has a create-a-player career mode and will be the only online PS2 tennis game.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/05/06/news_6123808.html

joeb_uk
05-16-2005, 07:38 PM
awesome! i only ever use my ps2 to play tennis games, and play on it like once a month lol! i dont have a xbox and i wanted topspin! now i can

nkhera1
05-17-2005, 03:39 AM
I think Top Spin 2 will also have Leyton Hewitt. Thats not a bad list of players though it would be nice if they could have more.

El Legenda
05-17-2005, 04:11 AM
It would be nice to have like top40 and really calander set up.....the way they do it it sucks...after u win every toury game over...it would be better as a running career.

Maxpowers
05-17-2005, 04:29 AM
Why in the world do they have James Blake? He's never done anything in a major has only 1 title, isn't ranked high at all. Taylor Dent has done much better and Mary Fish at least made it to the finals of the Olympics. I don't think they want another American cause If they might as well put Ginepri, Morrison, Baker, etc in. The other players listed have all won at least 1 major and are ranked in the top 5.

Scotso
05-17-2005, 04:31 AM
They have him because he's more popular than the others and also because it's cheaper to get players to sign on that aren't top ranked pros.

I bought an Xbox just for Topspin and I'll buy an Xbox 360 just for Topspin 2.

Adman
05-17-2005, 11:25 AM
I use my PS2 to play Smash Court Tennis Pro Tournament 2. Its a great game!!

Auscon
05-17-2005, 12:20 PM
I think Top Spin 2 will also have Leyton Hewitt.

I sure hope so.....I could actually see Lleyton beating Federer! :)

hopefully they'll have some more good names in there on the mens side.....and present players too

El Legenda
05-18-2005, 12:54 AM
hewitt is in TP1 im sure he will be in TP2

NATAS81
05-18-2005, 01:00 AM
The first decent tennis title for PS2..

Maxpowers
05-18-2005, 02:35 AM
When will they announce all the players?

Havok
05-18-2005, 03:24 AM
The first decent tennis title for PS2..
Smash Court Tennis Pro Tournament 2. EASILY the best tennis game there is, end of story. Thats about as close to real life tennis you can get.

Havok
05-18-2005, 03:31 AM
When will they announce all the players?
Andy Roddick, Roger Federer, Carlos Moya, Tommy Haas, James Blake, Lleyton Hewitt, Guillermo Coria, Tim Henman, Max Mirnyi, Alex Kuznetsov, Brendan Evans, Venus Williams, Maria Sharapova, Ai Sugiyama, Lindsay Davenport, Anastasia Myskina, Daniela Hantuchova, Svetlana Kuznetsova, Amelie Mauresmo, Alicia Molik, Angela Haynes, Jamea Jackson, and Corina Morariu.

That's the list for TopSPin2. My guess is that TopSPin 2 for xbox 360= TopSPin for the PS2, maybe some slight differences or something. Anyways that's the 24 player roster for the xbox 360, some really SHIT players they have there, but overall nice selections imo.

splink779
05-18-2005, 09:56 PM
Thats not a bad list at all, although I wish that instead of Mirnyi and Kuznetsov they had Nadal and Gasquet! Nadal would be incredibly awesome to play as. Imagine the topspin angles! PErhaps if he wins the French, the game designers will add him.

joske
05-18-2005, 10:00 PM
to play with Andy *giggle* is all I want, baby! :lol:

but it'll probably be the first tennis game I buy for my PS2 tho.. :bounce:

J. Corwin
05-18-2005, 10:01 PM
Smash Court Tennis Pro Tournament 2. EASILY the best tennis game there is, end of story. Thats about as close to real life tennis you can get.

I agree! SCTPT2 doesn't have the graphics of Top Spin but damn I love the playing feel to it and the ultra-nice calendar set up (although that part could still be improved) :hearts:

Don't know if I can that easily whip another bunch of $$$ for a new console just for one game.

NATAS81
05-18-2005, 10:19 PM
I agree! SCTPT2 doesn't have the graphics of Top Spin but damn I love the playing feel to it and the ultra-nice calendar set up (although that part could still be improved) :hearts:

Don't know if I can that easily whip another bunch of $$$ for a new console just for one game.
Who is in this game, and does it have career mode?

pinky
05-19-2005, 12:21 AM

Add me to the list of SCTPT2 followers :)

I have both this and a XBOX with TopSpin... and honestly SCTPT2 >>> Topspin in almost all categories...

For Natas: the game has a career mode. You can also chose to play the matches normally (like 2 or 3 games or even full match) or chose to play it with mini challenges... like hit x% of nice shots, hit 2 aces etc... these are generally a love and hate option... personally i like it :)
Now, don't expect the ultimate career mode, but it is very decent.
The game really shines where it should, i.e. the tennis game...

deflori
05-19-2005, 01:49 AM
Great Thing,thx for the news!:)

Darkheart
05-19-2005, 02:37 AM
:angel:

Havok
05-19-2005, 03:55 AM
ATP: Roddick, Safin, Henman, Hewitt, Blake, Haas, Gasquet, Ferrero
WTA: Serena, Mauresmo, Clijsters, Henin-Hardenne, Hantuchova, Kournikova, Capriati, Davenport

NATAS81
05-19-2005, 05:41 AM
Thanks Naldo and pinky.

Kinda bummed it doesn't include Federer or Nadal.

How can it not include them, yet include Gasquet - especially him.

Must be some kind of contract obligation.

Kind of how it was for Jordan in the NBA Live series when he was playing.

But, if it's as good as you say it is I guess it's worth it. There aren't too many tennis titles for PS2, and I don't expect EA Sports or Konami to delve into that avenue as they did on the old Sega Genesis and Nintendo.

J. Corwin
05-19-2005, 06:00 AM

Sorry I didn't read your post earlier, but yeah...Naldo told you the players. :) I think the career mode is really good. There are different tiers of tournaments (including a "Master Series" similar kind of tier) that you can only enter based on your ranking, etc. In each week you can choose to train, or to play a tournament (and sometimes there's more than one you can choose from). :cool: The mechanics are such that it really feels like you're hitting the balls. :)

But, if it's as good as you say it is I guess it's worth it. There aren't too many tennis titles for PS2, and I don't expect EA Sports or Konami to delve into that avenue as they did on the old Sega Genesis and Nintendo.

I'd say it's definitly worth it! :yeah: One of the few parts that I think the game on improve on though is to make it tougher. Once you get the hang of it and your player is strong enough you basically won't ever lose a match again. :lol:

NATAS81
05-19-2005, 06:36 AM
Once you get the hang of it and your player is strong enough you basically won't ever lose a match again. :lol:
lol, I know the feeling having previously copped a warez version of FILA World Tour Tennis for the PC and received full attributes and upgraded clothing as well.

It got too boring, I was around #3 or 4 in the world but surely would've garnered the top spot eventually.

I was winning matches 6-1 6-2 left and right :lol:

One final question, does this game include online play. I'm a big time online gamer, and have all of the EA Sports series of games. Thanks.

Happy gaming :cool:

J. Corwin
05-19-2005, 06:52 AM
No I don't think it has any online gaming features with it. :(

NATAS81
05-19-2005, 06:59 AM
Ok, thanks for all your help. I think I will avoid this one, then and hope TopSpin has online. I'm pretty sure it had it for xBox. I recall certain members on this very forum playing each other online.

I know how the computer programming can become repetetive and the fun factor doesn't seem to be there.

Thanks anyway for the report.

And I can understand Nadal not being in the game if it's a year or so old.

Just kinda odd how they would include Gasquet, though lol.

I told you guys Gasquet has caught even the gaming world's attention before Nadal. LOL!

Scotso
05-19-2005, 07:46 AM
TopSpin for the Xbox does have online. I'm positive the second one will as well.

I wish they would just release new players for the games already out. Ferrero on that one would be neat.

I'm really excited TopSpin 2 will have Kuznetsov, Evans, and Morariu! :D

I hope Xbox 360 kicks the crap out of Sony.

Auscon
05-19-2005, 10:34 AM
Andy Roddick, Roger Federer, Carlos Moya, Tommy Haas, James Blake, Lleyton Hewitt, Guillermo Coria, Tim Henman, Max Mirnyi, Alex Kuznetsov, Brendan Evans, Venus Williams, Maria Sharapova, Ai Sugiyama, Lindsay Davenport, Anastasia Myskina, Daniela Hantuchova, Svetlana Kuznetsova, Amelie Mauresmo, Alicia Molik, Angela Haynes, Jamea Jackson, and Corina Morariu.

who's missing from the mens list (11mens listed, 12 womens)?

Big thumbs up for Hewitt, Federer, Roddick, Coria and Moya, minor thumbs up for Haas and Henman, meh for the rest

For the womens, Molik!! Should be great....

Auscon
05-19-2005, 10:55 AM
That's the list for TopSPin2. My guess is that TopSPin 2 for xbox 360= TopSPin for the PS2, maybe some slight differences or something. Anyways that's the 24 player roster for the xbox 360, some really SHIT players they have there, but overall nice selections imo.

PS2 will only have 16players....from the ps2 screencaps it looks as though Grosjean will be back

Xbox 360 screens look really good

What I'd love to see in a tennis game is a similar control system to Fight Night, whereby all your shots are controlled with the thumbsticks, so how far you bring the racquet back, how quickly you swing through, any angle etc....It'd be hard to do, but would be pretty cool

El Legenda
05-19-2005, 11:00 AM
Who wants to make a tennis game, make the following

Top 100 Players: Top 10 Jr
Full Career Mode with GS,TMS,and others...Challengers.
unlike Top Spin..able to play full 6 games in Career Mode
unlike Top Spin..Tournys start in 1st round and not QF?!?!?

well its a dream that will never came true

joeb_uk
05-19-2005, 11:20 AM
I wish i had xbox live or something because every tennis game i play i just destroy the computer 6-0 on the hardest possible setting, then it gets boring :(

iliketennis
05-19-2005, 12:02 PM
I hope Xbox 360 kicks the crap out of Sony.

A news report stated that PS3 is more powerful than Xbox 360 in almost every aspect. I have seen the graphics, and PS3 walks all over Xbox 360. I will buy whichever is cheaper :D

I really hope that Topspin 2 will have more outfits for the actual players. In Topspin 1, all the female players had the same face :(

deflori
05-19-2005, 03:13 PM
@Darkheart
From which platform is this screenshot?

El Legenda
05-19-2005, 08:08 PM
A news report stated that PS3 is more powerful than Xbox 360 in almost every aspect. I have seen the graphics, and PS3 walks all over Xbox 360. I will buy whichever is cheaper :D

I really hope that Topspin 2 will have more outfits for the actual players. In Topspin 1, all the female players had the same face :(

if PS3 does not have a harddrive..then its shit

Scotso
05-20-2005, 03:25 AM
Xbox 360 won't have a hard drive either, I think you have to buy it.

And the PS3 may be more powerful, but you have to take into account that the Xbox 360 is being released a LOT earlier.

Scotso
05-20-2005, 03:26 AM
Anyone else have WTA tour tennis for the Xbox? I made the mistake of buying it... one of the worst games ever made... even though they have Sandrine Testud

Darkheart
05-20-2005, 04:15 AM
@Darkheart
From which platform is this screenshot?
Xbox 360

El Legenda
05-20-2005, 05:24 AM
Xbox 360 won't have a hard drive either, I think you have to buy it.

And the PS3 may be more powerful, but you have to take into account that the Xbox 360 is being released a LOT earlier.

Why not...the original does...why would they take it out...
most people like xbox only cuz u can save stuff on it and not mess with memory cards

xbox is still better--360 is the 2nd xbox and ps is on #3 so they been ahead ;)

Auscon
05-20-2005, 07:27 AM
most people like xbox only cuz u can save stuff on it and not mess with memory cards

and because you can chip it and then copy any game from the video store straight onto the harddrive :)

also helps to be able to have more than 2 controllers connected straight out of the box, but I think the ps3 will remedy this

El Legenda
05-20-2005, 08:35 AM
and because you can chip it and then copy any game from the video store straight onto the harddrive :)

:haha: i know i never buy games..i copy them :angel: buying them is waste of 49.99$ rent for $2-5 and copy

Scotso
05-20-2005, 05:02 PM
for the next consoles they will all have wireless controllers... with you being able to use 7+ with each system.

Auscon
05-22-2005, 01:38 PM
:haha: i know i never buy games..i copy them :angel: buying them is waste of 49.99$ rent for $2-5 and copy

The way I see it is, I gave the videogame industry enough of my money throughout the Sega Megadrive, Gameboy and Playstation days, that its about time I took some of my own back :)

Scotso
05-22-2005, 08:54 PM
you're not hurting "the industry," you're hurting the individual developers.

stealing is stealing.

NATAS81
05-22-2005, 09:10 PM
for the next consoles they will all have wireless controllers... with you being able to use 7+ with each system.
:drool:

k-rod83
05-23-2005, 11:37 AM
i went on smascourt pro tournement 2 last night for the first time in about 8 months....it was great. won the ozzy open beating roddick,henman,blake and then they give me some made up loke in the final...lol..the match against roddick was great. matchpoint down on my serve i hit a 157 mph ace out wide....love it

tennisvideos
05-23-2005, 02:32 PM
i went on smascourt pro tournement 2 last night for the first time in about 8 months....it was great. won the ozzy open beating roddick,henman,blake and then they give me some made up loke in the final...lol..the match against roddick was great. matchpoint down on my serve i hit a 157 mph ace out wide....love it

Yes I love Smashcourt Pro Tournament 2 the best of all the tennis games now. The gameplay is clearly the best. After playing that and then trying Topspin the Topspin game felt terrible and very unrealistic.

I had a great doubles match last night - losing 2-6 with Serena & Jen against Henin & Clijsters in hard mode.

Auscon
05-23-2005, 04:07 PM
you're not hurting "the industry," you're hurting the individual developers.

stealing is stealing.

which is why I've bought the games I play the most....Halo2 (for the multi), TopSpin and StarWars KOTOR

I dont play alot of videogames, so had I not gotten the xbox chipped, those would be the only games I wouldve bought anyways.....I've got about 15 or so games on the hard drive, but never wouldve bought any of them

so thats the extent of my theft, and I shall continue to thieve until the xbox is no more

El Legenda
05-23-2005, 06:54 PM

there are already wireless controllers for xbox and ps2..i have them...just waste of money..nothing special

Scotso
05-24-2005, 01:17 AM
well they will be standard on the new systems is what I'm saying.

they'll be bluetooth too, so no things to attach.

Havok
05-24-2005, 02:34 AM
Yes I love Smashcourt Pro Tournament 2 the best of all the tennis games now. The gameplay is clearly the best. After playing that and then trying Topspin the Topspin game felt terrible and very unrealistic.

I had a great doubles match last night - losing 2-6 with Serena & Jen against Henin & Clijsters in hard mode.
Ugh, Clijsters and henin-Hardenne. They are about the hardets doubles women's team to play against. My friend and I ALWAYS have shitloads of trouble vs them, always need 3 full tight sets to beat them.:o Mind you we use Kournikova (him) and Hantuchova (me) the shittiest players in the game to make it interesting because if we play with other players, it'll be way too easy to win.;)

tennisvideos
05-24-2005, 04:42 AM
Ugh, Clijsters and henin-Hardenne. They are about the hardets doubles women's team to play against. My friend and I ALWAYS have shitloads of trouble vs them, always need 3 full tight sets to beat them.:o Mind you we use Kournikova (him) and Hantuchova (me) the shittiest players in the game to make it interesting because if we play with other players, it'll be way too easy to win.;)

You guys must be good. I play doubles on SCTPT2 with a friend but he's not very good and we have never won a singles doubles match even on easy mode! :mad: :D