Marat Safin is not a threat to win tennis titles [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Marat Safin is not a threat to win tennis titles

uNIVERSE mAN
05-16-2005, 12:19 PM
If you look at his profile, he's won 7 titles in the last 5 years with none in 2003. Sure he can have some great matches but he's not the type of player that is a threat for a title, i.e. he can't go through fields without having a terrible day somewhere along the course of a tournament. Comparing him with Federer in the last 3 yrs the head to head titles is 17 to 4. Hardly what I call a rivalry. And as for his great indoor play, he hasn't won any titles there either other than two TMS in late 2004 where Federer was missing.

tennisman.
05-16-2005, 12:21 PM
:bigclap:

nermo
05-16-2005, 12:25 PM
Wait until Exodus sees this... :devil: ;)

mer
05-16-2005, 12:34 PM
Thank you, uNIVERSE mAN!
The more ppl will think Marat is not a threat to win a title , the more chances he'll probably have to win some.

Billy Moonshine
05-16-2005, 12:36 PM
Well, i agree with you. But he DOES win big titles when he's on and so he is always a threat if he gets on a streak.
In terms of dominanc and consistency, he is no rival to Fed. However he did beat him in their last match, ending Feds winning streak.
I love Safin for his unpredictability, just as I find Federer's consistency a little boring.
Long live marat and may he win many more slams!

hablovah19
05-16-2005, 12:38 PM
:retard:

perrygreen
05-16-2005, 12:40 PM
If you look at his profile, he's won 7 titles in the last 5 years with none in 2003. Sure he can have some great matches but he's not the type of player that is a threat for a title, i.e. he can't go through fields without having a terrible day somewhere along the course of a tournament. Comparing him with Federer in the last 3 yrs the head to head titles is 17 to 4. Hardly what I call a rivalry. And as for his great indoor play, he hasn't won any titles there either other than two TMS in late 2004 where Federer was missing.

Don't see the logic in your words- a player is not a threat for a title who has won 15 titles including 5 TMS and 2 slams.

And I have to remind you that he's injured in 2001 and 2003.

OK Fededer is the best. I got it. :rolleyes:

perrygreen
05-16-2005, 12:42 PM
Thank you, uNIVERSE mAN!
The more ppl will think Marat is not a threat to win a title , the more chances he'll probably have to win some.

Well said. :p

GermanBoy
05-16-2005, 12:48 PM
Do players always have to win 1837,5 titles in their careers? :rolleyes: Marat has won big titles. Look at e. g. Jennifer Capriati, she hasn`t won many titles but she has won some big titles including 3 Grand Slams, 1 Olympic Gold... She is a very solid player and has had a great career so far. I am convinced either of them, Marat and Jennifer, will win more titles soon... :D :cool:

lau
05-16-2005, 12:59 PM

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:
You may be right. I don`t really care ..... He really entertains me, plays a great tennis, is charismatic,etc,etc.....(and sexy). I don´t think we can say that of most tennis players ;) I love tennis, and titles (OF COURSE!!) are important, but it`s about entertainment, too :) And if about entertainment we`re talking, I would never miss a Safin-Federer match!!! ;)

BTW, you can`t say he didn`t won any title in 2003 without explaining what happened to him that year: he hardly played 6 months and had several injuries!!! ;)

Thank you, uNIVERSE mAN!

That`s true.... :eek: when anyone expects anything from him, he wins a title!!!! ;)

oxy
05-16-2005, 01:03 PM
Probably another great thread of Federer gloating again

Bibir
05-16-2005, 01:22 PM
uNIVERSE mAN, the voice of reason :retard:

This is one of your posts :
fuck all you haters! Roger is a human being, how come I never have to hear this shit when Safin tanks every week?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!
I return that compliment back to you, hater.

But if you find it that funny to call him OAF every week, go on...

Action Jackson
05-16-2005, 01:28 PM
Universe that is one of your best ever posts.

jes_021
05-16-2005, 01:36 PM
The threat of Safin is that you don't know what to expect of him, when he's going to strike his opponent with sudden brilliance or play poorly. I for one didn't expect him to win the AO this year or defeat Fed, but he did with some brilliant play.
With other words he has the element of suprise. ;)

Golfnduck
05-16-2005, 02:35 PM
Safin is a great player, and yes, sometimes he is a head case. But that makes his matches that much more entertaining.

maratski
05-16-2005, 02:42 PM

:retard:

I need a new poll after this thread :o

bear
05-16-2005, 02:59 PM
It makes me sad to see some fans of such a great player and personality that is
Federer making ridiculous posts time and again. In their gloating they succeeded in nothing but making other fans less appreciative of Roger's game and achievements. Why can't they understand something as simple as that?

Deboogle!.
05-16-2005, 03:10 PM
um.. :haha:

not much else to say to this thread.

vincayou
05-16-2005, 03:38 PM
He's just a threat for raquets these days.

*Viva Chile*
05-16-2005, 07:03 PM

In 2003 Marat was injured of his left wrist, reason why he could not play most of that season and obviously he didn't win any title, he only reached the Godo's Final that year. :p

BelgianWaffle
05-16-2005, 07:12 PM
of course he is :rolleyes:

tangerine_dream
05-16-2005, 07:28 PM
No wonder people are starting to think that Roger is arrogant: because he seems to attract some of the most obnoxious, arrogant, gloating fans around here.

BelgianWaffle
05-16-2005, 07:56 PM
No wonder people are starting to think that Roger is arrogant: because he seems to attract some of the most obnoxious, arrogant, gloating fans around here.

yep.. kinda sad for his other fans.

Two words: AUSTRALIAN OPEN :nerner: ha ha ha :p

jes_021
05-16-2005, 08:00 PM
yep.. kinda sad for his other fans.

Hahahaa :lol: I see maturity has taken a short vacation. :p

oneandonlyhsn
05-16-2005, 08:20 PM
The minute other players underestimate Safin they are fucked. He went under the radar in the AO, everyone focusing on Federer, Hewitt and Roddick and look what happened. He has wonderful groundstrokes and moves very well for a man of his height.
Having said that Safin wake up already its getting annoying seeing all these youngsters coming up and you just partying away :smash: (Before I get attacked, the partying part is a joke. Although I think he maybe a little guilty of it)

So I'm still sticking to my original theory that Safin is this years RG's dark horse

Jenrios
05-16-2005, 08:53 PM
The threat of Safin is that you don't know what to expect of him, when he's going to strike his opponent with sudden brilliance or play poorly. I for one didn't expect him to win the AO this year or defeat Fed, but he did with some brilliant play.
With other words he has the element of suprise. ;)

couldn't have said it better myself. Had given up on him winning slams last year - thought he may get lucky with a MaSTERS title. Then, he wins PaRIS and Madrid, and then the Aussie Open.

CassL
05-16-2005, 10:10 PM
Oh yeah, remember last year after the U.S. Open, people were like Safin can't win any more titles. And what happened? He won two mastes series and AO Open where he kicked Fed's ass. So yeah...

Skyward
05-16-2005, 10:16 PM

Since when an athlete is a mirror reflection of his(her) fans. No wonder some people think that Roddck is a jerk. :devil:

Speaking of Safin, no doubt that theoretically he's a title contender in a every tournament he enters.

uNIVERSE mAN
05-16-2005, 10:17 PM
Yeah well I think it's a disgrace to have 28 points for the whole year so far if not for his Australian win.

mitalidas
05-16-2005, 10:23 PM
Since when an athlete is a mirror reflection of his(her) fans. No wonder some people think that Roddck is a jerk. :devil:
paid back in the same coin. Nice one Skyward

Cervantes
05-16-2005, 10:30 PM
Surely Safin is having an awful season, but to say he's no contender for major titles just doesn't make sense. Who has won more than 7 titles in the last 5 years? 10-20 players? Who has won more than 2 grand slams? Federer, Agassi...

Plus he's got great records against the top players, so he's always capable of winning tournaments. Problem is he's playing like shit at the moment and having difficulties winning matches against far lesser opponents right now. So if your thread was called "Safin no threat for RG" I would have agreed, but come US Open Safin might be right there with the best of 'm, who knows.

nermo
05-16-2005, 11:17 PM
He's just a threat for raquets these days. posted by Vincayou

:D :D funny...

honestly speaking..Safin is a very unstable unpredictable player...so the more u dont expect him to win...the more he wins ;)

sometimes i think he loves doing it , but i always find it dangerous ( or disappointing) to be a fan of such player..or if u wanna be his fan..then u must be as calm as the ...(dont know.!!..)

ca1houn
05-17-2005, 06:37 AM

How the fuck is that Roger fault, he has no control of that so why should he have to bear the burden.

Puschkin
05-17-2005, 06:55 AM
I love Safin for his unpredictability, just as I find Federer's consistency a little boring.

Why does it have to be one or the other? I like them both, for totally different reasons.

ca1houn
05-17-2005, 06:56 AM
Originally Posted by uNIVERSE mAN
fuck all you haters! Roger is a human being, how come I never have to hear this shit when Safin tanks every week?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!

:haha: :haha: uNIVERSE mAN that was the best post I have read in a long time its Shakespearian

Billy Moonshine
05-17-2005, 01:00 PM
Why does it have to be one or the other? I like them both, for totally different reasons.

It doesn't have to be one or the other. But for me, not just in tennis, but in all areas of life, I prefer unpredictability and find consistency boring :) This is why I love Safin :worship: and not Federer.

melody31
05-17-2005, 02:42 PM
Yes,for Federer, I will appreciate his skills but I will not love him. And safin, he is more human I think, so I like him. :)
Of course, safin is not having a good time recently, but he will surely be competent in Roland Garos if he can controll himself better (but I doubt if he can) After all he is strong willed to win the FO.Hope him good luck. :worship:

Auscon
05-17-2005, 04:24 PM
Marat is threat to win any title on the atp tour that he contests

just too unpredictable.........and credit to his fans who are able to stick with him through all the crap

WyveN
05-17-2005, 05:08 PM

To clean up his image Federer needs some fans like heya, hitchhiker and yourself.

Dirk
05-17-2005, 06:10 PM
:haha: Wyvern you are too much. I didn't want to reply to the bitter troll duck but was glad someone did. Tangy is just mad she can't gloat about andy. I still remember her in the Duck Pond all ready to attack the GM with her gloating once Andy beat Roger in the Kooyong final but it didn't happen. :haha:

mandoura
05-17-2005, 07:07 PM

:yeah:

NATAS81
05-17-2005, 07:30 PM
Best thread in a while.

tangerine_dream
05-17-2005, 07:49 PM
:ras: :ras: :ras: :ras:

That's not true. The GM 'tards here thought Roddick was a jerk long before I showed up and elevated him to superjerk status. :angel:

heya
05-18-2005, 12:21 AM
Captain Obvious has to say the same lines just to get a good rep.
Even Rebecca and Sjengster were embarrassed by Dirk's bitter, derogatory gay-name calling after
Federer lost a match. It's pretty sad when Sjengster gets criticized for saying anything negative about Federer. :o

Skyward
05-18-2005, 12:43 AM
That's not true. The GM 'tards here thought Roddick was a jerk long before I showed up and elevated him to superjerk status. :angel:

Where did I mention your name? You took it to heart. I wonder why. ;)

WyveN
05-18-2005, 04:03 AM
:haha: Wyvern you are too much. I didn't want to reply to the bitter troll duck but was glad someone did.

If Andy had a tenth of the success that Federer did, the duck trolling on this board would be far more entertaining then the pathetic attempts by the thing named heya.

I remmember 2 or 3 gloating threads when Roddick won the first set against Federer last year in Wimbledon. I can only imagine what would happen if he won set #2.

heya
05-18-2005, 05:46 AM
There's another entertaining post. How terrible that you know these gloating people so well.
Unfortunately, I've spent SO much time living vicariously through tennis players.
I posted 1 thread all year and it had nothing to do with Federer. I'm damn arrogant.
I'm 5 years old. I've never watched tennis from the 1990s.

WyveN
05-18-2005, 06:50 AM
I posted 1 thread all year and it had nothing to do with Federer.

You deserve a cookie.

Pea
05-18-2005, 06:54 AM

At least we have reasons to gloat.:o

rub
05-18-2005, 07:35 AM
he hasn't been since he won the AO!

heya
05-18-2005, 10:50 AM
So what’s with this Safin “secret” to beat Federer?

“You know, he knows so many secrets, it’s amazing: He knows everything,” laughed Federer, when reminded of the Russian’s boast that he knows the secret of beating the Swiss. “No, I am just joking. He is a good guy.

“Ferrero said he has a secret, Hewitt knows a secret, Safin knows a secret — they all know it. But I am still on top,” the Swiss replied.

But then, what is the secret of stopping the ‘Fed Ex’?

“You shouldn’t ask me, you should ask them,” he said. “I have no clue how to beat myself.
http://www.khaleejtimes.com/DisplayArticle.asp?section=sports&xfile=data/sports/2005/February/sports_February519.xml

hitchhiker
05-18-2005, 11:47 AM
Federer needs some fans like heya, hitchhiker and yourself.

when federer shows some humility AND SPORTSMANSHIP (like Roddick) and earns me as a fan then he can give me a call and i will Consider becoming a fan if he admits he is robot and gets off the tour.

sigmagirl91
05-18-2005, 11:54 AM
when federer shows some humility AND SPORTSMANSHIP (like Roddick) and earns me as a fan then he can give me a call and i will Consider becoming a fan if he admits he is robot and gets off the tour.

When has Federer not shown sportsmanship? It's not like he goes around, berates the officiating, and storms off court in a mad fury. What are you talking about, anyway?

hablovah19
05-18-2005, 01:05 PM
So what’s with this Safin “secret” to beat Federer?

“You know, he knows so many secrets, it’s amazing: He knows everything,” laughed Federer, when reminded of the Russian’s boast that he knows the secret of beating the Swiss. “No, I am just joking. He is a good guy.

“Ferrero said he has a secret, Hewitt knows a secret, Safin knows a secret — they all know it. But I am still on top,” the Swiss replied.

But then, what is the secret of stopping the ‘Fed Ex’?

“You shouldn’t ask me, you should ask them,” he said. “I have no clue how to beat myself.http://www.khaleejtimes.com/DisplayArticle.asp?section=sports&xfile=data/sports/2005/February/sports_February519.xml

:haha: at least, it's not something like "only I can beat myself" ;)

Bibir
05-18-2005, 02:41 PM
You know, you can bump the thread "Is Roger becoming arrogant" if you want...

Concerning this one I'd say Marat Safin is a threat for everyone.

There is no doubt that the "ill-tempered" hippo is capable of serious damage and violence. He will stand up to RogerRabbit and has been known to bite tiny baby ducks in half.
Countless top players have lost their lives when the tournaments they were traveling in were attacked by the hippo.
By some accounts, the hippo causes more human deaths than any other wild creature in MTF, including rabbits, weasels, ducks, trolls and teeny boopers.

mer
05-18-2005, 03:29 PM
Bea :lol:
speaking about cultural moments... you could have mentioned also terrifying tatar-mongol raids. Run for your life...

MissMoJo
05-18-2005, 07:57 PM
:haha: :haha: :rolls: We do need a court jester....:scratch:

mitalidas
05-18-2005, 08:01 PM
I remmember 2 or 3 gloating threads when Roddick won the first set against Federer last year in Wimbledon. I can only imagine what would happen if he won set #2.

Honestly, I might have loved it if he won set 2, revved up the hysteria in the duckbase, only to lose in 5

It would offer far more heartbreak :D

shaoyu
05-18-2005, 08:25 PM

Can you stop embarassing Roddick and his fans? Thank you! :rolleyes:

Space Cowgirl
05-18-2005, 08:51 PM
:haha: :haha: :rolls: We do need a court jester....:scratch:
nah, more like a village somewhere is missing its idiot!

Pea
05-18-2005, 09:01 PM

:worship: We'll stick with having arrogant Fed fans.:o:haha:

Sjengster
05-18-2005, 09:10 PM
Captain Obvious has to say the same lines just to get a good rep.
Even Rebecca and Sjengster were embarrassed by Dirk's bitter, derogatory gay-name calling after
Federer lost a match. It's pretty sad when Sjengster gets criticized for saying anything negative about Federer. :o

Don't cry for me, o master of incoherency.

Sjengster
05-18-2005, 09:34 PM
As for the thread itself, well universe man is the one who tried to suggest earlier in the year that Gaudio didn't deserve to be in the Top 10 as he'd won so few matches off clay, so no surprise here. The motto where Safin is concerned is expect the unexpected; I'm sure it annoys both fans and depreciators alike that when you expect him to do well he does badly, and vice versa. So after the AO everyone including me expects to see a new and more motivated Safin under the influence of Lundgren, doing well in tournaments where he has never done anything in the past, and it turns out to be the same old story. Now that people are beginning to write him off again we're probably due for a resurgence very soon, in fact it wouldn't surprise me at all if he were lifting the trophy two and a half weeks from now. One thing you can say about his prospects at RG is that he actually cares about the event, unlike most of the TMS events; he's said unequivocally that his goal is to win it, and that determination could help him against more natural claycourt players when he gets into a dogfight, as he assuredly will at some stage.

The injuries in 2001 and especially in 2003 have already been mentioned by others in this thread; given that he played little more than a dozen matches in 2003, the dearth of titles is somewhat forgiveable. That said, there is a definite pattern to his titles and his successful performances and it's become obvious by now that he will never have the consistency of a Federer, Nadal or Hewitt. Equally it's true that there isn't a rivalry with Federer as yet, but considering that Safin has never suggested there is or that he really wants one, it's hardly something you can attack him for. The idea of a Safin-Federer rivalry is the creation of the media alone, and Safin has rarely if ever shared the hackneyed viewpoint of the media on tennis. I remember that after last year's TMC match a journalist asked him if he was pleased about being able to push Federer so close after a successful comeback year, and he replied that he was more pleased about improving his ranking from 89 to 4 than in challenging one player, even if he is the best player in the world. That kind of wider perspective is a refreshing one.

I'm starting to sound like Safin's cheerleader here, it's not as though I'm a fan of him myself, but the thread title is stupid because Safin will always be a threat in future to win tennis titles; we just don't know when, that's all.

heya
05-18-2005, 09:41 PM
Bibir, hippos don't have to form alliances with other creatures. They have many talents like dancing in a tutu & ending Mad Swiss Cow disease. :yeah:

sigmagirl91
05-18-2005, 10:14 PM
One burning question: how did the conversation go from Safin to Federer and Roddick? I guess all it took for a couple of trolls with nothing better to do to take the thread off course.

maratski
05-18-2005, 10:20 PM
I'm starting to sound like Safin's cheerleader here, it's not as though I'm a fan of him myself, but the thread title is stupid because Safin will always be a threat in future to win tennis titles; we just don't know when, that's all.

You're not sounding like a safin cheerleader (those are the chicks who want his babies), you're just stating the obvious ;)

Tennis Fool
05-18-2005, 10:55 PM
As for the thread itself, well universe man is the one who tried to suggest earlier in the year that Gaudio didn't deserve to be in the Top 10 as he'd won so few matches off clay, so no surprise here. The motto where Safin is concerned is expect the unexpected; I'm sure it annoys both fans and depreciators alike that when you expect him to do well he does badly, and vice versa. So after the AO everyone including me expects to see a new and more motivated Safin under the influence of Lundgren, doing well in tournaments where he has never done anything in the past, and it turns out to be the same old story. Now that people are beginning to write him off again we're probably due for a resurgence very soon, in fact it wouldn't surprise me at all if he were lifting the trophy two and a half weeks from now. One thing you can say about his prospects at RG is that he actually cares about the event, unlike most of the TMS events; he's said unequivocally that his goal is to win it, and that determination could help him against more natural claycourt players when he gets into a dogfight, as he assuredly will at some stage.

The injuries in 2001 and especially in 2003 have already been mentioned by others in this thread; given that he played little more than a dozen matches in 2003, the dearth of titles is somewhat forgiveable. That said, there is a definite pattern to his titles and his successful performances and it's become obvious by now that he will never have the consistency of a Federer, Nadal or Hewitt. Equally it's true that there isn't a rivalry with Federer as yet, but considering that Safin has never suggested there is or that he really wants one, it's hardly something you can attack him for. The idea of a Safin-Federer rivalry is the creation of the media alone, and Safin has rarely if ever shared the hackneyed viewpoint of the media on tennis. I remember that after last year's TMC match a journalist asked him if he was pleased about being able to push Federer so close after a successful comeback year, and he replied that he was more pleased about improving his ranking from 89 to 4 than in challenging one player, even if he is the best player in the world. That kind of wider perspective is a refreshing one.

I grade this report A+.

heya
05-18-2005, 11:20 PM
Short Bus Girl forgot to mention herself, the Nalbandian troll.
:o

Sjengster
05-18-2005, 11:21 PM
Ah TF, if only you were marking the exam paper I sat today... but I suspect you're not.

allanah
05-18-2005, 11:34 PM
Perhaps the title of the thread should've been phrased as a question - not a statement of fact. I don't think many players shout for joy when they see Marat Safin is in their half of the draw. It's safe to say that if Roger doesn't win whatever tournament is being contested, pretty much any one of the other 9 top tenners could (depending on the surface). Talent-wise, I think Safin runs Federer pretty close. It's all the other sideshow stuff that lets him down.

sigmagirl91
05-19-2005, 12:14 AM
Short Bus Girl forgot to mention herself, the Nalbandian troll.
:o

Um, sorry, but I'm not the one throwing the thread off course like yourself, Queen Troll-abite.

Mimi
05-19-2005, 08:10 AM
safin will win big titles again :wavey:

Experimentee
05-19-2005, 03:36 PM
Ok the only Slam winner this year is not a threat to win titles...right :retard:

Meeek
05-19-2005, 06:06 PM
Your statement would have been correct, if you had replaced "Marat Safin" with "Meeek".

Quite frankly, you're pretty stupid saying such a thing :lol:
Good luck with making correct conclusions in the future. :wavey:

drf716
05-20-2005, 07:46 AM
so what if you think marat isn't a threat to titles im sure he's a threat in other terms

El Legenda
05-20-2005, 08:38 AM
Bored.So here are stats I came up with
Top 10 Entry Players : finals in every # of Tournys ( total looses + titles= total tourys ....finals= title+looses in final

Top Ten In Entry
1. Roger 36 finals in 146 tournys played = Every 4
2.Hewitt 36 finals in 137 tournys played = 3.80
3.Roddick 25 finals in 103 tournys played= 4.12
4. Safin 24 finals in 181 tournys played = 7.5
5. Nadal 8 fianls in 41 tournys played = Every 5
6. Gaudio 13 finals in 146 tournys played = Every 11
7. Agassi 87 finals in 321 tournys played= Every 3.68
8. Henman 25 finals in 233 tournys played= Every 9.32
9. Coria 18 finals in 83 tournys played= Every 4.6
10. Canas 13 finals in 142 tournys played = Every 11
:wavey:

Puschkin
05-20-2005, 08:45 AM
Marat may not be a threat to win numerous titles in a row, but he can win (almost) any title any time. The only one I don't really ever see him taking is Wimbledon, but not because he has not got the game, he seems to be most uncomfortable there, and when Marat feels uncomfortable, a first round exit is no surprise.

swap348
05-20-2005, 09:00 AM
Marat may not be a threat to win numerous titles in a row, but he can win (almost) any title any time. The only one I don't really ever see him taking is Wimbledon, but not because he has not got the game, he seems to be most uncomfortable there, and when Marat feels uncomfortable, a first round exit is no surprise.
I can't wait to see how Marat performs at this year's wimbledon. That may well decide if at all Lundgren is going to have any kind of impact on safin's career :rolleyes: .