so,end of season 2005,who's the most disappointing and the most satisfying player?? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

so,end of season 2005,who's the most disappointing and the most satisfying player??

nermo
05-16-2005, 10:12 AM
so ,end of season, some great players showed up their real talents and winning abilities ..
other great players showed that they've not done their best, some new names launched strongly revealing pure talents and exciting future for the game..

so, in your opinion guys; who was the most disappointing and the most satisfying player for 2005? :)

Action Jackson
05-16-2005, 10:15 AM
Federer is the most disappointing he has lost 2 matches this year when he should be unbeaten.

bad gambler
05-16-2005, 10:20 AM
disappointing - hewitt for not winning the aus open this year

nermo
05-16-2005, 10:26 AM
Federer is the most disappointing he has lost 2 matches this year when he should be unbeaten. posted by GWH

:) :devil: right answer, so who is the most satisfying??

Bibir
05-16-2005, 10:30 AM
At least he made a GS final...But now you can follow his results in the latest issues of soap opera digest.

bad gambler
05-16-2005, 10:33 AM
At least he made a GS final...But now you can follow his results in the latest issues of soap opera digest.
im more disappointed after the event, seeing how safin has played since

Action Jackson
05-16-2005, 10:37 AM
posted by GWH

:) :devil: right answer, so who is the most satisfying??

Nicolas Escude.

iliketennis
05-16-2005, 10:38 AM
So far, satisfying, I would say Richard Gasquet and Rafael Nadal. Disappointing? :tape: *cough Marat

bouncer
05-16-2005, 10:39 AM
andys a bit disappointing i gotta say. and rafaels been very satisfying. safins been a bit disappointing since the oz open, all those chokes >.< ooh and juanqui's been satisfying ^^

Bibir
05-16-2005, 10:42 AM
Hey the guy won a slam, he can't be the most disappointing player of the year. ..That's not NOTHING! :angel:

But as I said for Hewitt now you can follow his results in the lattest issues of child psychologist magazines.

Damita
05-16-2005, 10:53 AM
Marat. both.
satisfying >> a GS title, finally!!!! :p
disappointing >> every tournament played since Melbourne :sad:

nermo
05-16-2005, 11:16 AM
yes, i think Safin remains the most confusing person with ..schizophrenic results..but i guess its just his personality..do u think he can change it soon ??or more honestly does he really wanna change it?? :shrug:

as for Agassi, well dont get so tough on the guy..i guess he s not disappointing ..he still has these stylish touches, experience ,lots of stuff..the matter that he hasnot got titles is that..he has lots of tough competitors who are younger ,healthier ..and definitely more eager to winning than him at this stage of their career..

GermanBoy
05-16-2005, 11:23 AM
I know it is WTA but it is extremely disappointing to know Jennifer Capriati will play her first tournament two weeks before the US Open at best... :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: I need some hugs... :sad:

Damita
05-16-2005, 11:31 AM
yes, i think Safin remains the most confusing person with ..schizophrenic results..but i guess its just his personality..do u think he can change it soon ??or more honestly does he really wanna change it?? :shrug:
he may change a little bit, he has already. But he won't become Roger. :p With Marat it's take him or leave him...

btw, lol @ the "schizophrenic" description :lol:

Damita
05-16-2005, 11:32 AM
I know it is WTA but it is extremely disappointing to know Jennifer Capriati will play her first tournament two weeks before the US Open at best... :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: I need some hugs... :sad:
i don't like her much :rolleyes: but just because i'm in a nice mood... :hug:

Domino
05-16-2005, 11:33 AM
Fish, 'nough said.

Kristen
05-16-2005, 12:06 PM
lol bg...but, isn't that why he's so satisfying?

All the guys in my signature are satisfying. Even Jarkko sometimes. It's nice when you like a guy that isn't in the top ten. It can be a struggle, but they're always showing you that they're doing their best. But... my comments are probably irrelevant. I've no doubt that my idea of a great player, is totally different to others'.

I guess Jürgen is slightly disappointing. But, he's satisfying too. He was awesome, til he sprained the ankle against Saulnier. Then it was all down hill. Then Davis Cup. God, lets not go there. He played well, but Wayne Arthurs played ten thousand times better. Australians :rolleyes:

Adman
05-16-2005, 12:15 PM
Federer is the most disappointing he has lost 2 matches this year when he should be unbeaten.

I was hoping for a longer unbeaten record.

Stevens Point
05-16-2005, 12:32 PM
I would say Hewitt is the most disappointing, because 1, he was one win away of Aussie title in its anniversary year and 2, He missed tournaments due to toe surgery, and although the fans expected his come back, he broke his ribs and now is in danger of missing French.

The most satisfying,,, mmm, I would pick Nadal because of his recent rise. He fought well against Federer in Miami, which was on hardcourt (if it had been the best of 3 match, he would have won it.). And his back to back clay Master Seires titles, and he is considered to be one of the most favorites to win French this year.

star
05-16-2005, 01:41 PM
Coria is both all wrapped up in one for me. :)

Yeah. Hewitt. Things were looking so good for him. :sad: But as someone said, now he's going to be a dad, so he will always look back on this year as being a great year for him. :)

Andy has been disappointing for me. All this talk about how he's in shape, and fitter, and eager, and then disappointing results in general. :(

~EMiLiTA~
05-16-2005, 02:48 PM
most satisfying: rafa nadal (and marat during aus open)

most disappointing: marat after aus open

heya
05-16-2005, 02:50 PM
Like parents, like son.

lucashg
05-16-2005, 03:26 PM
Federer has been really satisfying. It can't get much better than 6 titles out of 8 contested. It was a bit disappointing that he didn't defend his Australian Open title, especially when you see how Safin has been doing since then, but he can't win them all and his overall results are just the best out there. Nothing to complain about!

Given the sudden (but expected) rise of Nadal, I'd say he is the most satisfying so far, especially now going as the favorite to win Roland Garros in his first attempt. Gasquet obviously was a great surprise, so he belongs to the satisfying list too.

Guga has been disappointing. I know he has just come back from a serious surgery and it will take him a lot of time to gain a shadow of his old form back, but I didn't expect two bagels and a 2-4 record in his first events. I have faith that he'll come back strong and for real in a couple of months. If his body is fine, then only practice is taking away some nice results from him.

Safin has been disappointing after the Australian Open, but since he has won the only slam of the year so far, it can't be that bad.

Ivan Ljubicic, Christophe and Olivier Rochus, David Ferrer. They all have great results/season so far. Satisfying.

*julie*
05-16-2005, 03:57 PM
:sad: PHM really disappointing. He won 2 titles in 2002, he did a really good job in davis cup on clay but now :confused:
Wake up Paulo!!! RG is coming ...
The satisfying ones: Nadal, Federer

ugotlobbed
05-16-2005, 04:07 PM
i would say coria, roddick or agasssi, then again, im not fans of them lol so what do i care

lucashg
05-16-2005, 04:22 PM
Coria should be in both lists. He has had some amazing runs, but he's not being able to defend his points (Miami final, Monte-Carlo title and Hamburg final), and he really deserved at least one title on clay by now, especially Rome.

Truc
05-16-2005, 04:40 PM
As a Coria fan I'm not disappointed so far because I didn't expect him to do so well after his shoulder surgery. I really thought he would need much more time and I'm rather thankful for this quick comeback. He gives me the feeling that he really tries and gives his best, so he's not disappointing at all for me.

Agent X
05-16-2005, 05:17 PM
Most satisfying - Nadal definitely, for his sheer guts and determination during his 5 titles this year.

Most disappointing - Safin. After winning the Australian Open I really thought he'd kick on and begin to challenge Federer for no.1 but he's been hopeless ever since.

Suzi
05-16-2005, 05:26 PM
As an Igor fan hmmm mix feelings its great he won his first title this year but since then its kinda gone downhill :tears: loosing in pratically nearly all the first rounds!

savesthedizzle
05-16-2005, 05:28 PM
Nadal has been the most satisfying, for me anyway. Being a fan of his before he rocketed up the rankings, I knew he was going to be better this year, but I expected like... Top 15 at best. I expected maybe the semis of TMS events... not winning two of them. He has exceeded all of my expectations for him so much this year, it's an amazing time to be his fan, regardless of what he does in RG.

Most disappointing, maybe Moya. Even before his recent injury he hadn't been playing too well, and falling out of the top 10 doesn't help.

jackieglover
05-16-2005, 05:31 PM
Marat's got to be most disappointing this year and I'd say Nadal is most satisfying with the way he's started the year...

Turkeyballs Paco
05-16-2005, 06:34 PM
Hewitt has been both so far this year. He made the finals at AO and IW but the injuries have kept him out since.

Marat has also been both, winning the AO and all the matches he should have won since.

They'll both come back strong, I hope.

athina7
05-16-2005, 06:39 PM
Hewitt has been both so far this year. He made the finals at AO and IW but the injuries have kept him out since.

Marat has also been both, winning the AO and all the matches he should have won since.

They'll both come back strong, I hope.
:yeah: My thoughts exactly!

Jenrios
05-16-2005, 07:19 PM
Most disappointing, Marat, yet again, for obvious reasons. I'm getting tired of the excuses now.

Space Cowgirl
05-16-2005, 08:30 PM
As a fan of the German guys, I have to say that this year so far has been more of a disappointment than to be satisfied with. But still a long way to go for them to improve!

BAMJ6
05-16-2005, 08:34 PM
Gaudio. I mean he's nowhere near the form he showed at Roland Garros right now and that i think he's a fluke.

Deivid23
05-16-2005, 08:37 PM
Mariano Puerta (Welcome to the club!)
Irakli Labadze/Jiri Novak/Sargis Sargsian (Not this year or what?)

Jennay
05-16-2005, 08:40 PM
Satisfying: Nadal.
Disappointing: Fish.

Sjengster
05-16-2005, 08:50 PM
Mariano Puerta (Welcome to the club!)
Irakli Labadze/Jiri Novak/Sargis Sargsian (Not this year or what?)

When I saw you had responded to this thread I was convinced Verdasco was going to be top on your disappointed list. ;)

I can't really mention most of the top players that have done well this year, you can't be satisfied with a player's results if you don't like them and even Federer's year, great though it has been, has the twin disappointments of not defending the AO and still not being able to play all three clay TMS events for one reason or another.

As you say the Door has certainly opened in 2005, which is good as he was very impressive when I saw him play for the first time against Moya in Monte Carlo. Ferrero's had a welcome return to form, Grosjean's showing some signs of life again on clay, it was great to see Christophe Rochus' surprise run in Hamburg, the emergence of Gasquet provides us with a refreshing contrast to Nadal, Stepanek is now coming into his own as a consistent Top 20 player, and of course the success of the Croats on tour and in DC was enjoyable.

Disappointments: Gaudio (I wouldn't have said that before Rome, but even by Gaudio's standards that was a mind-boggling loss, and his year overall has still been a very good one), Henman still not being able to win a title and still remaining a pigeon of a couple of Argentine players (Canas, Zabaleta) while managing to loosen his grip on the one Argentine he does own (Chela). And of course Nalbandian... enough said.

Deivid23
05-16-2005, 09:03 PM
When I saw you had responded to this thread I was convinced Verdasco was going to be top on your disappointed list. ;)

Nah, I´ve learnt to accept Fernando the way he deserves, he will probably never become a top player but I can´t help loving his game when he decides to come out and play.

I can't really mention most of the top players that have done well this year, you can't be satisfied with a player's results if you don't like them and even Federer's year, great though it has been, has the twin disappointments of not defending the AO and still not being able to play all three clay TMS events for one reason or another.

As you say the Door has certainly opened in 2005, which is good as he was very impressive when I saw him play for the first time against Moya in Monte Carlo. Ferrero's had a welcome return to form, Grosjean's showing some signs of life again on clay, it was great to see Christophe Rochus' surprise run in Hamburg, the emergence of Gasquet provides us with a refreshing contrast to Nadal, Stepanek is now coming into his own as a consistent Top 20 player, and of course the success of the Croats on tour and in DC was enjoyable.

Disappointments: Gaudio (I wouldn't have said that before Rome, but even by Gaudio's standards that was a mind-boggling loss, and his year overall has still been a very good one), Henman still not being able to win a title and still remaining a pigeon of a couple of Argentine players (Canas, Zabaleta) while managing to loosen his grip on the one Argentine he does own (Chela). And of course Nalbandian... enough said.

About the rest, my post was not a serious one and didn´t have to do with tennis abilities or 2005 achievements, but on a more serious note I´d say:

Satisfying: Nadal, Federer, Ferrer, Gasquet, Stepanjerk.

Dissapointing: Berdych, Pavel, Chela, Robredo, Moyá, German crew

aceit
05-16-2005, 09:13 PM
Fish, 'nough said.
Agreed.

Space Cowgirl
05-16-2005, 09:16 PM
yeah, where is Mardy these days, is he injured?

aceit
05-16-2005, 09:30 PM
yeah, where is Mardy these days, is he injured?
He now has an injured wrist. But the biggest injury is in his brain ever since the Olympics. :o

blosson
05-16-2005, 09:42 PM
Fish lost his game when he lost his hair...

nermo
05-16-2005, 10:22 PM
don't like her much but just because i'm in a nice mood.. :hug: . posted by Damita

:yeah: agree..

nermo
05-16-2005, 10:37 PM
yes ..i can say Moya was a little disappointing this year..so far.(never knew the reason ),.but dont know may be he ll still be able to do something this year..this, i truely hope

Star: yes Coria can definitely be listed in both lists..but as an eager for winning fan i d rather put him in the disappointing list ..cuz inspite of these wonderful rallies he has had so far, the guy is in need of a title...

Sjengester: nice report..and i agree about Federer..

erik-the-red
05-16-2005, 10:44 PM
Satisfying? Probably Rogi. Three Masters Series events and three other smaller titles before the second major title of the year?

Disappointing? Probably Marat.

Sjengster
05-16-2005, 10:50 PM
I hate to sound like ys, but I would remind you of Federer's and Safin's respective showings at the AO this year. If I were a player I wouldn't mind having Safin's disappointing 2005.

blosson
05-16-2005, 11:10 PM
Probably all players are disapointing their fans apart from Roger and Rafa.

dAgEnIuS
05-17-2005, 04:08 AM
I think Ferrero has been a most disappointment to his fan...
just when he win a few good matches in the early rounds, he loses to an unknown in the later rounds....
and of course, rafael nadal has been the best...

Puschkin
05-17-2005, 01:29 PM
just when he win a few good matches in the early rounds,...

Quite on the contrary, coming back after a dreadful year requires patience and patience and patience ;)

savesthedizzle
05-17-2005, 01:48 PM
just when he win a few good matches in the early rounds, he loses to an unknown in the later rounds....
and of course, rafael nadal has been the best...

I don't think Ferrero has been a disappointment at all. I think most of his fans are proud of him for the progress he's been making. When your draws have you playing guys in the first or second rounds that you used to face in the semis and finals when you were in your prime, it's not exactly easy to make a comeback... but he's been doing a good job. He's already improved his ranking about 60 places so far this season. That's not too shabby.

And...I wouldn't exactly call Davydenko an unknown... :shrug:

Rogiman
05-17-2005, 02:01 PM
Most satisfying to his fans must be Nadal, for I don't believe even his most optimistic fans would have dreamt of anything near what he's already achieved this year.

Most disappointing....?
Moya, hands down (but I'm not a big fan of his, although I do like him, and I saw it coming in the end of last year).

Deivid23
05-17-2005, 02:21 PM
Most satisfying to his fans must be Nadal, for I don't believe even his most optimistic fans would have dreamt of anything near what he's already achieved this year.

Most disappointing....?
Moya, hands down (but I'm not a big fan of his, although I do like him, and I saw it coming in the end of last year).

I´m not surprised of what Nadal has achieved, just I found it a bit early, probably a year or so early, but far away from a "thing I´ve not even dreamt". I´ve always had clear in my mind the kid was due for huge things in tennis.

About Charly, that shoulder may make that impossible, but there´s still one bullet left in his clay court gun, let´s see how he does next week.

Auscon
05-17-2005, 03:35 PM

yeah, its a shame....I wouldve loved to see Safin clean up after the AO, just make me feel like he really shouldve deserved the win, as stupid as that sounds, but it's done him no good at all....it only seems to have given him more demons to toil with

Nevertheless, if Lleyton had that extra spring in his step for the final, who knows how it mightve ended up......

Ultimately though, I think that so far this year Lleyton has been one of the most satisfying players to his fans

Slight hiccup at Adelaide, solid as a rock at Sydney, phenomenal at the AO, and had a great showing at Indian Wells......still couldnt get close to overcoming the Federer mountain, but it was pre-surgery, so I'm still waiting for a true Fed-Hewitt 05 debut :)

The last 2 grand slam finals, and made it to the final of the next 2 major tournaments he contested recently (Masters, IW)........sure, he didnt win any of them, but it was the very best playing the very best of tennis that thwarted him

NATAS81
05-17-2005, 06:31 PM
Probably Scheuttler most disappointing. Hasn't won jack in ages. Couldn't even beat Seppi on his home turf.

tall_one
05-17-2005, 06:32 PM
Marat. both.
satisfying >> a GS title, finally!!!! :p
disappointing >> every tournament played since Melbourne :sad:
ditto what Steph said

Nastase
05-17-2005, 07:10 PM
For me Ferrero in his actual year.

suomi
05-17-2005, 07:26 PM
I agree with many of you...
satisfying: Nadal, Gasquet, PHM at the Davis Cup, Marat for the AO, Coria (I didn't expect to see him playing so well after his injury ;) :bigclap: ) and Ferrero who plays better again.

Disappointing: Hewitt, Marat, Coria ( no title unfortunately... :sad: )

Kristen
05-19-2005, 03:26 PM
In the last 2 hours... Jürgen Melzer, for both categories.
I don't know how someone can be consistently good AND bad, in the SAME MATCH :tape:

nermo
11-20-2005, 04:40 PM
now, that the tennis season 2005 is all over, i think this thread needs an update, so what'll be ur opinion?

:secret: yes, i'm kind of bored

nermo
11-21-2005, 09:42 AM
Federer is the most disappointing he has lost 2 matches this year when he should be unbeaten. posted by GWH

this 's become 4 by the end of the year, so this confirms ur choice i think.. :cool: