The 'Wimbledon is great' thread

KarstenBraasch#1
05-15-2005, 10:28 PM
Wimbledon is so great! :D :worship:

Wimbledon :hearts: :inlove:

Who else loves Wimbledon? :)

Sjengster
05-15-2005, 10:32 PM
I think it's great too. But bear in mind, my only experience of it is ten straight years of TV viewing, not dealing with ticket arrangements, security, high prices, outdated customs, supposed class snobbery etc. ;)

Geniey2g
05-15-2005, 10:32 PM

I ADORE it!!! :D makes it really feel like summer, and there's nothing better than a London summer http://www.sohh.com/forums/images/smilies/yes.gif

Sjengster
05-15-2005, 10:33 PM
Yep, we certainly had one of those last year. Only the US Open can beat it in that respect.

KarstenBraasch#1
05-15-2005, 10:34 PM
I think it's great too. But bear in mind, my only experience of it is ten straight years of TV viewing, not dealing with ticket arrangements, security, high prices, outdated customs, supposed class snobbery etc. ;)
Prejudice.

federer express
05-15-2005, 10:36 PM

ticket arrangements always been fine
security not that tight
prices a little high
no outdated customs anymore
no snobbery (well no more than down your local tennis club)

:p

Agent X
05-15-2005, 10:38 PM
Everything about Wimbledon is great :worship:

Sjengster
05-15-2005, 10:39 PM
Hey, I'm only mentioning examples given by other posters as to why they dislike the actual event itself, not the tennis. I can't say for sure since I've never been there, but really, the BBC's coverage is so good I don't think I'm missing much by not attending. The AO/RG, on the other hand...

federer express
05-15-2005, 10:40 PM
Hey, I'm only mentioning examples given by other posters as to why they dislike the actual event itself, not the tennis. I can't say for sure since I've never been there, but really, the BBC's coverage is so good I don't think I'm missing much by not attending. The AO/RG, on the other hand...

RG coverage is amazing too...on eurosport

Sjengster
05-15-2005, 10:42 PM
It's good, but it would be nice not to have a major chunk of the afternoon's play lopped off to show three hours of interminable cycling. Eurosport needs to go down the interactive route eventually, otherwise they do a pretty good job coverage wise.

Geniey2g
05-15-2005, 10:43 PM
Are you crazy??

-No interactive coverage
-ONE match at a time

What's so amazing about that?

federer express
05-15-2005, 10:45 PM
Are you crazy??

-No interactive coverage
-ONE match at a time

its all day coverage and they usually pick the best matches (apart from when they insist on showing henman's)

how many matches at a time you wanna watch?

KarstenBraasch#1
05-15-2005, 10:46 PM
Are you crazy??

-No interactive coverage
-ONE match at a time

What's interactive? :)

Geniey2g
05-15-2005, 10:49 PM
What's interactive? :)
When you press a button on your digital TV remote control, a menu opens. On this menu, you have the choice of viewing about 4 or 5 different matches on different courts :D- its excellent!

It usually also has the day's news, scores, the tournament draw and other interesting stuff on it.

And Fed Express :) It's nice to at least have the OPTION of watching other matches if you're not interested in the one on the main channel.

federer express
05-15-2005, 10:51 PM
And Fed Express :) It's nice to at least have the OPTION of watching other matches if you're not interested in the one on the main channel.

obviously :p

Agent X
05-15-2005, 10:51 PM
They also show WTA matches which blows :mad:

KarstenBraasch#1
05-15-2005, 11:00 PM
When you press a button on your digital TV remote control, a menu opens. On this menu, you have the choice of viewing about 4 or 5 different matches on different courts :D- its excellent!

It usually also has the day's news, scores, the tournament draw and other interesting stuff on it.Thanks. :) I don't have such a thing so I always thought Eurosport coverage is as good as it gets. How naive.

tennischick
05-15-2005, 11:09 PM

i prefer St. Polten :p

Dirk
05-15-2005, 11:19 PM
Count me in Karsten. :worship:

Rogiman
05-16-2005, 12:01 AM

I just wish they dropped all those women matches :mad:

Rogiman
05-16-2005, 12:02 AM
They also show WTA matches which blows :mad:

Oops... outposted ;)

Agent X
05-16-2005, 12:07 AM
Oops... outposted ;)

Great minds think alike :p

Deboogle!.
05-16-2005, 12:23 AM
Wimbledon :woohoo: Bring on the serve-volleying, pleeeeeease? :awww:

Agent X
05-16-2005, 12:24 AM
Wimbledon :woohoo: Bring on the serve-volleying, pleeeeeease? :awww:

Not much I'd imagine :(

Deboogle!.
05-16-2005, 12:30 AM
Not much I'd imagine :(I know :sad:

But a girl can dream :p

Daniel
05-16-2005, 12:32 AM

Federer does.

NYCtennisfan
05-16-2005, 01:02 AM
Of course it is:)

PaulieM
05-16-2005, 04:11 AM
wimbledon rocks my socks!! :worship:

Becarina
05-16-2005, 04:35 AM
CmOn Wimbledon! :yeah:

Kristen
05-16-2005, 04:42 AM
Wimbledon. So romantic. Grass courts, strawberries and cream, sitting back watching my men be successful for a change :hearts: I love it. But, I prefer the weather at my own grandslam. We don't have Cliff Richard though. Wimbledon wins. The only downfall, aside from the rain, is that I have to watch it between 11pm and 5am. Time differences won't keep me from watching it!

Chloe le Bopper
05-16-2005, 05:38 AM
Wimbledon - far and away the worst slam! And no, the media will never convince me otherwise. The media also wants me to believe that Paris Hilton is attractive.

However, Wimbledon is a slam, so it will be appreciated when it is going on, if only because there will be no other slams going on at the time.

:angel:

Becarina
05-16-2005, 06:14 AM
Wimbledon - far and away the worst slam! And no, the media will never convince me otherwise. The media also wants me to believe that Paris Hilton is attractive.

However, Wimbledon is a slam, so it will be appreciated when it is going on, if only because there will be no other slams going on at the time.

:angel:

and why is it the worst?????????

*Ljubica*
05-16-2005, 06:35 AM
and why is it the worst?????????

I think some of the posts in the "Wimbledon - You Idiots...." thread will answer that. I wouldn't say it is the "worst" - I would personally give that dubious "award" to US Open, but Wimbledon runs it a close second imo. Bad weather, high prices, bad organisation, poor facilities for the players, little access to practice courts for spectators, snobbish attitude, too many "hospitality/debenture" tickets and not enough for the real fans, ridiculous queues to get anything, expensive food and drink - I could go on all day but it will make me late for work. Oh - and I personally find grass court tennis boring to watch :devil:

Chloe le Bopper
05-16-2005, 08:31 AM
Seeing as I can get tickets to the USO with absolutely no problem, I would say that Wimbledon takes the prize.

bad gambler
05-16-2005, 08:52 AM
wimbledon, yeah :D

bad gambler
05-16-2005, 08:55 AM
I know :sad:

But a girl can dream :p

dent, henman and flip :banana:

Action Jackson
05-16-2005, 09:31 AM
Wimbledon is a great time of the year for vacations.

mandoura
05-16-2005, 09:37 AM
I think some of the posts in the "Wimbledon - You Idiots...." thread will answer that. I wouldn't say it is the "worst" - I would personally give that dubious "award" to US Open, but Wimbledon runs it a close second imo. Bad weather, high prices, bad organisation, poor facilities for the players, little access to practice courts for spectators, snobbish attitude, too many "hospitality/debenture" tickets and not enough for the real fans, ridiculous queues to get anything, expensive food and drink - I could go on all day but it will make me late for work. Oh - and I personally find grass court tennis boring to watch :devil:

Excellent Rosie. I am in total agreement except the "late for work" part as I don't work.

Ferrero Forever
05-16-2005, 09:45 AM
Wimbledon means for me a week off school, so i can stay up late every night (until 5am)watching it, crying when JC scrapes through a hard 5 setter against Koubek. Wimbledon is great to watch, it gets me out of school because i fake being sick every year (except i think last year i actually was sick) so i can watch the tv coverage. US Open is on around the same time (though i think it starts later) but i don't take the 2 weeks off school for it. IMO Australian Open is still the best, but thats based on bias, so never mind me.

Black Adam
05-16-2005, 09:50 AM
I love Wimbledon :hearts: :worship: :yeah:
Its a great Slam to watch ;)

allanah
05-16-2005, 10:16 AM
I just wish they dropped all those women matches :mad:
:eek: Rogiman that is harsh! ;) I agree that matches not including 2 top tenners are one-sided and boring. But Schnyder v Mauresmo yesterday in rome for example, was 2 very talented players moving the ball around court well and creating beautiful shots. What I particularly enjoyed was that it wasn't all power tennis and incessant shrieking.

KarstenBraasch#1
05-16-2005, 03:37 PM
Could the haters please leave this thread?

Becca, if you think hard you might find out why it's so easy to get tickets for the US Open, and so difficult to get some for Wimbledon. :)

chrissiej
05-16-2005, 06:06 PM
Wimbledon's great because its part of an English summer and the atmosphere's really nice. :)

Agent X
05-16-2005, 06:13 PM
Wimbledon's great because its part of an English summer and the atmosphere's really nice. :)

Officially its the English summer but the weather suggests otherwise :p

I agree the atmosphere is very nice, especially if you queue overnight its always very friendly.

chrissiej
05-16-2005, 06:22 PM
Officially its the English summer but the weather suggests otherwise :p

weather last year was great til wimbledon :rolleyes: then it rained til september ;)

I agree the atmosphere is very nice, especially if you queue overnight its always very friendly.

yeah, i queued for People's Sunday last year and it was so cool - we had tickets for the day before but cuz of the rain didn't see anything. :o Apart from some hilarious drunk aussies on court 18. :p

alfonsojose
05-16-2005, 06:31 PM
:eek: Rogiman that is harsh! ;) I agree that matches not including 2 top tenners are one-sided and boring. But Schnyder v Mauresmo yesterday in rome for example, was 2 very talented players moving the ball around court well and creating beautiful shots.

Some of the matches between top female players are good. And no matter how beautiful he plays, a routine JesusFed demolition of anyone (and the commentators licking JesusFed's butt every second :awww: ) is way worse than a good women's match

joeb_uk
05-16-2005, 07:15 PM
Slams are great because you can watch wta or atp! i like to have a mixture, so its always dissapointing when you attend a tournament which only has one. Saying that, i would much prefer to go to atp event than wta :D

Jenrios
05-16-2005, 08:59 PM
My least fav slam - and I'm a Brit as well.

gooner88
05-16-2005, 11:25 PM
I love watching Wimbledon apart from those boring serve-fest matches where there usually isn't more than 3 shots in a point.
Last year's Wimbledon was totally predictable and not as exciting as in previous years; I just hope more players can step up and challenge Fedex.

Agent X
05-17-2005, 12:24 AM
Some of the matches between top female players are good. And no matter how beautiful he plays, a routine JesusFed demolition of anyone (and the commentators licking JesusFed's butt every second :awww: ) is way worse than a good women's match

Fair point. But let's be honest, for every Fed thrashing you get about 7 in the WTA when JHH, Clijsters, Williams x 2, Davenport, Sharapova and Mauresmo lose a combined total of about 10 games.

alfonsojose
05-17-2005, 04:17 AM
Fair point. But let's be honest, for every Fed thrashing you get about 7 in the WTA when JHH, Clijsters, Williams x 2, Davenport, Sharapova and Mauresmo lose a combined total of about 10 games.
Sorry, but that's so cliche :o . Coria and Nadal crushed opponents really badly in most of their early rounds matches on clay this year, same with JesusFed on hard (even in Hamburg he didn't lose a set :yawn: ) and nobody complained. Their domination is almost as ridiculous as the "big babes" one

heya
05-17-2005, 05:32 AM
What's there to complain about?
Tennis is so beautiful knowing that only one person practiced
on Center Court while other guys spend time walking in the rain
with their bad coaches.

This treat delights Butt-Lickers Cliff Drysdale, Carillo, Mal Washington, Courier, John :inlove: + :hearts: Pat McEnroe. Joy.

Kristen
05-17-2005, 09:23 AM
Slams are great because you can watch wta or atp! i like to have a mixture, so its always dissapointing when you attend a tournament which only has one. Saying that, i would much prefer to go to atp event than wta :D
mm... Grand slams are good for a couple of things. Aside from haing a sh!tload of ATP players around... there's mixed doubles... so I can see three times as many Jonas matches. :woohoo: (JB, please..... NEVER partner with Hantuchova again. Thankyou ;))

NYCtennisfan
05-17-2005, 10:08 AM
Some of the matches between top female players are good. And no matter how beautiful he plays, a routine JesusFed demolition of anyone (and the commentators licking JesusFed's butt every second ) is way worse than a good women's match

To each his own. I like watching a men's match even if it is one guy beating up on the other if he is playing beautiful, not seen before tennis. You will not see that on the WTA tour. There are high quality matches on the WTA tour but it can never be like a men's match. This is just this fan's perspective.