Sunday Report [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Sunday Report

crazillo
05-15-2005, 09:05 PM
Report ARAG World Team Cup 2005 (Day 01):

Today marked the opening day of the 28th ARAG World Team Cup in the German city Düsseldorf.
Scheduled to compete were hosts Germany, who had to face USA and Chile, the winner of the last two WTC’s, in a repeat of the 2003 final and 2004 RR against the Czech Republic.
First of all, Thomas “Tommy” Haas played Vincent “Vince” Spadea, and won in convincing fashion, 6-2 6-4. The match could not start until 12.30 PM (noon was scheduled) because of rain which made the clay courts too slippery to play competitive tennis on it.
Haas dominated his opponent from the baseline, running him around a lot and often ending the points with a winning smash or volley at the net. Although Spadea tried a lot, he didn’t have enough aggressiveness to match up with Haas, who afterall seems to be in top-shape again.
While we didn’t see the 6-3 6-1 trash of Jiri Novak by Fernando Gonzalez (it was reported to be a complete trash), the second singles got underway. Nicolas Kiefer vs. Jeff Morrisson and it was a completely different class Kiefer had. He seemed to be a notch above Morrisson’s level all the time. The last little hope the American had was elimanted after a not-willing-to-end service game by Kiefer, where he finally held. After that, 4-1 in the second set, Morisson was simply not existent anymore.
The next match should be the “match of the day.” After the 1-0 lead of Chile it seemed as if Nicolas Massu should roll past Thomas Berdych – on paper. But the Czech came out with much firepower which enabled the great crowd a high-class first set, which Massu won in the tiebreaker 7-5 (after Berdych had a 4-2 lead). In set 2, the young Czech tried everything, but his shots were more and more errorfull and he couldn’t win more than 3 games anymore (no break); 6-7 (5) 3-6.
Both doubles didn’t matter anymore, but the “losers” won each one: The Bryan twins edged Haas and Alexander Waske 6-7 7-6 7-5 and Novak/Stepanek beat their Southern American opponents easily, 6-4 6-4.
The outside programm is really nice, nice possibilities to eat something or to buy certain stuff, all in all as familiar and as well-organized as every year on the tour.
Thanks to my buddy who went with me there. :)

+alonso
05-15-2005, 10:13 PM
Haha:haha: Massu Def Berdych 76 63
Feña Def Novak 63 61

cobalt60
05-16-2005, 12:14 AM
Thanks for the report! And Alonso we know who won and who played right? ;)

crazillo
05-16-2005, 12:58 AM
Oh sorry, I'm so stupid :lol:

But I was there. :p

Daniel
05-16-2005, 07:10 AM
thanks for the report :)

gsm
05-16-2005, 07:54 AM
thanks crazillo!