Federer def. Gasquet 6-3, 7-5, 7-6(4), wins TMS Hamburg 2005! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Federer def. Gasquet 6-3, 7-5, 7-6(4), wins TMS Hamburg 2005!

Billabong
05-15-2005, 02:29 PM
Congrats Rogi:clap2: continue:woohoo:!!!!!!!

joske
05-15-2005, 02:30 PM
well done Feds

congrats for reaching the final too Richard :yeah:

Exodus
Way to go Roger now go and win RG

aceit
Congrats, Roger.

An amazing run for Richard, though! :bounce:

Fergie
05-15-2005, 02:31 PM
Congrats champion, you're the best! :yeah:

Agent X
05-15-2005, 02:31 PM
Disappointing for Richie, it was probably closer than the scoreline looks. Roger just won all the big points and that was the difference. Roger wasn\'t broken all match, pretty impressive on the dirt.

NINA_BCN
05-15-2005, 02:32 PM
ĄĄĄSI!!! ĄĄBravo Roger!! :yeah:

Ruski
05-15-2005, 02:32 PM
It was tough!! Indeed, very tough!!!
But once again, Roger shows you why he is the #1!!!!! :yeah:

Congrats, Roger!!! :clap:

Roger The Great
05-15-2005, 02:33 PM
I remember a week ago, everyone talking about Roger's brutal draw. He just won the tournament without dropping a set. :)

Billabong
Yep, Rogi didn't get broken once in the whole match:D! Gasquet had a few break points though, in the first and 2nd sets, but Rogi stayed strong and won the important points to win his 3rd Hamburg title:yeah:! Rogi loves Hamburg and Hamburg loves Rogi:yeah:!!

oneandonlyhsn
Congrats to Fed :worship: :worship: , amazing and wasnt playing at his best either. Rest up and be prepared to kick major ass in RG

Great run gasqy :sad:, but it was Feds day

FLL
05-15-2005, 02:34 PM
At least Richard won't have to qualify for tournaments anymore :yeah:

Billabong
05-15-2005, 02:34 PM
yes and I agree, it wasn't an easy match at all, very tight especially in 2nd and 3rd sets;)! What a sweeeeeet revenge Rogi:D!!

C3PO
05-15-2005, 02:35 PM
Congrats Roger! You played a very solid match! You're a great champion! :worship:
Richard, you missed some opportunities today but overall you made a great tournament. Keep the good work and we're waiting for you at the French Open! :D

robinhood
05-15-2005, 02:36 PM
A lot closer than I expected!
I guess Gasquet is a real deal.
Congrats to both!!

Choupi
05-15-2005, 02:36 PM
Congratulations to Roger for being the champion he is. And nothing to cringe about for Richard. He hasn't much to be blamed for. :)

RogerRocks
05-15-2005, 02:37 PM
Roger :woohoo:

silverwhite
05-15-2005, 02:37 PM
Great job, Roger! :yeah: He got his revenge. ;)

From the scoring, it seems as if Richard couldn't win the important points and couldn't take his chances on Federer's serve, although he got to deuce many times. Hopefully, he'll learn from this. :)

Roger-No.1
05-15-2005, 02:39 PM
Congrats Roger! :worship:

No one had defended this title since 1995

(and apparently this is only the second time someone defends Hamburg).

This is one of the toughest titles to defend

Rogi wins Hamburg 3 times in 4 years

Qualifiers are big favorites in this tournament. Just look at 2001,

Ferrero lost to Portas in 2001, a qualifier

In cold weather or hot weather, Rogi wins in Hamburg and Miami.

Roger is a man for all seasons.

A best of 3 final could've been enough, but it's good that AMS have best of 5.

He won in straight sets: Roger's Revenge, after his loss in MonteCarlo!

Mental toughness, Smart player:

He changed strategies, the results are diffient.

This time, he wins. His 19th final in a row

http://us.news3.yimg.com/img.news.yahoo.com/util/anysize/345,http%3A%2F%2Fus.news1.yimg.com%2Fus.yimg.com%2 Fp%2Frids%2F20050515%2Fi%2Fr1337573098.jpg

http://us.news3.yimg.com/img.news.yahoo.com/util/anysize/345,http%3A%2F%2Fus.news2.yimg.com%2Fus.yimg.com%2 Fp%2Fap%2F20050515%2Fcapt.fhbg10505151510.germany_ tennis_fhbg105.jpg

HAMBURG, Germany (CBS) - Top-ranked Roger Federer beat French teenager Richard Gasquet 6-3, 7-5, 7-6 (7-4) Sunday to defend his Hamburg Masters title and collect his tour-leading sixth championship of the year.

By avenging one of only two losses this year, Federer stretched an Open era record - he has now won 19 consecutive finals he has contested.

Federer's record for the year is 41-2. Going back to the beginning of last year's U.S. Open, Federer has a 57-2 record.

Federer lost to Gasquet last month in the quarterfinals of the Monte Carlo Masters.

Auscon
pretty weak match by both guys......they should probably go play challengers for a while, get their confidence back

mitalidas
I am impressed with Richard. I think he is truly a dark horse for the FO

But I am of course most impressed with Roger. I thought this draw was worse than last year's in some ways. It is awesome to come through in straight sets!!!!

Wasn't it straight sets the whole tournament?

mitalidas
05-15-2005, 02:40 PM
pretty weak match by both guys......they should probably go play challengers for a while, get their confidence back
oops. misposted.
the site for lleyton and scud is elsewhere

slipmaskin
05-15-2005, 02:42 PM
It was a lousy match, at least for the run of the two first sets, where I simply gave up and switched channels. So mind-numbingly dull and horrendously played. Should've watched the WTA Rome-final instead, seemed to have been a much better alternative.

Cris
05-15-2005, 02:43 PM
Congrats, Roger! :worship:
Gasquet, great week! :hatoff:

Choupi
05-15-2005, 02:44 PM
Great job, Roger! :yeah: He got his revenge. ;)

From the scoring, it seems as if Richard couldn't win the important points and couldn't take his chances on Federer's serve, although he got to deuce many times. Hopefully, he'll learn from this. :)
Richard hasn't been able to convert all the break chances he's had, but he hasn't lost those points with a weak arm. It's Roger who's had the strongest one to win them. That's the difference between a young player and the champion Roger is. :) That's why I said that Richard had nothing to cringe at.

Marine
05-15-2005, 02:44 PM
Not a great match of both players, I'm disapointed.
It's frustating for Richard because he got several break points and never won them. Roger wasn't at his top today but he was very efficient on important points, that's which makes the difference between a big champion and the others...
Nevermind. Richard will have lots pression the next week, it will be very difficult to manage, so if he would have won here, I don't imagine ...

Goget
05-15-2005, 02:45 PM
Congrats Roger !

silverwhite
05-15-2005, 02:46 PM
Richard hasn't been able to convert all the break chances he's had, but he hasn't lost those points with a weak arm. It's Roger who's had the strongest one to win them. That's the difference between a young player and the champion Roger is. :) That's why I said that Richard had nothing to cringe at.

Yeah. Like Richard said before the match, he hasn't played a lot of best of 5 matches, but he will gain a lot of experience from it. Hopefully, next time, he'll learn to take his chances. :)

makro120
05-15-2005, 02:46 PM
19th straight final for Federer. I wonder where he will win his 20th?

silverwhite
05-15-2005, 02:47 PM
Not a great match of both players, I'm disapointed.
It's frustating for Richard because he got several break points and never won them. Roger wasn't at his top today but he was very efficient on important points, that's which makes the difference between a big champion and the others...
Nevermind. Richard will have lots pression the next week, it will be very difficult to manage, so if he would have won here, I don't imagine ...

Pressure off is always good. ;)

Roger-No.1
05-15-2005, 02:47 PM
Wasn't it straight sets the whole tournament?

Yes mitalidas.

6 master shields in 2 years!

Nastase
05-15-2005, 02:48 PM
Congratulations to Federer.

Art&Soul
Congrats ROGI for the title without dropping a set :worship: , what's a tough draw for you :D Now take a rest and prepare for RG, you can do it if you want ;) RICHIE :hug: You're great too :)

Auscon
oops. misposted.
the site for lleyton and scud is elsewhere

Scud already is I believe....and best of luck to him....just as long as he can stay uninjured

iliketennis
05-15-2005, 02:51 PM
Well done Roger Federer. It is understandable that under the circumstances Richie didn't play well on big points. As the scorline indicates, Richard could have won either of the last two sets. :D ;)

Marine
05-15-2005, 02:53 PM
Honestly I don't think Roger was serene today, even if he won.
It's not this year I see him winning RG (and I hope him to win !!!!)

mitalidas
05-15-2005, 02:54 PM
it was indeed close
that is a good sign for richard (keeping toe to toe with Roger) and a great sign for Roger (pulling out the tricks when it counts most)
I'm so happy Roger won this. COME ON TAKE THE FORM TO PARIS NOW!!!!

Neely
05-15-2005, 02:57 PM
Congrats for Federer, just too good for everybody again!

The match itself wasn't so good and quite error loaded, without real highlights. With a few exceptions it seemed as if Federer made his own points and those for Gasquet. The scoreline looked close and turned out to be closer than I predicted in advance, but I personally never had the feeling that Gasquet could trouble Federer at any stage. Gasquet didn't play well at 30-30, 30-40, deuce, break point and Federer was much more reliable there and I'm sure Federer had much more left in case Gasquet would have played better. So I disagree with all those who think that was close: scoreline yes, match not in the deciding moments. Rather untroubled win for Federer, but hey... Gasquet had a great and impressive road to this final too.

Marine
05-15-2005, 03:01 PM
His road was quite easy until the final, normal.

Well, did someone see the speeches ??? My stupid channel stoped after the ball point and I would have loved listen to Richard's english :lol:

Roger-No.1
05-15-2005, 03:02 PM
HAMBURG, Germany (CBS) - Top-ranked Roger Federer beat French teenager Richard Gasquet 6-3, 7-5, 7-6 (7-4) Sunday to defend his Hamburg Masters title and collect his tour-leading sixth championship of the year.

By avenging one of only two losses this year, Federer stretched an Open era record - he has now won 19 consecutive finals he has contested.

Federer's record for the year is 41-2. Going back to the beginning of last year's U.S. Open, Federer has a 57-2 record.

Federer lost to Gasquet last month in the quarterfinals of the Monte Carlo Masters.

silverwhite
05-15-2005, 03:02 PM
Yeah. Could someone give us a description of the ceremony please? ;)

Neely
05-15-2005, 03:03 PM
I would have loved listen to Richard's english :lol:
He excused for his English in advance before saying something else. He only said he had no chance and congrats to Federer and thanks to everybody. Maybe it was a 15 second speech, his English didn't sound too good, but good enough to get it over what he wanted to say.

mangoes
05-15-2005, 03:08 PM
Congratulation Roger. I'm very happy for you!!!:)

C3PO
05-15-2005, 03:09 PM
Poor Richie, knowing him a bit I'm sure the speech he had to tell at the end scared him more than the match against Roger itself :lol:

Auscon
05-15-2005, 03:12 PM
thats 19 consecutive final wins right?

I can't see that record ever being beaten....

Marine
05-15-2005, 03:13 PM
Poor Richie, knowing him a bit I'm sure the speech he had to tell at the end scared him more than the match against Roger itself :lol:

Like Arnaud Clement in Melbourne !
I understand them, it's terrible to have to speak a language when we're not sure to be able to make a sentence correctly.

Rogiman
05-15-2005, 03:16 PM
Pretty dull match...

Was I the only one who hardly felt it was played on clay...? I mean, both players used their serves to great effect, hardly any rallies, and only two breaks of serve the whole match... I don't think this says much about either chances at RG, but we'll see.

I was expecting Richard to hit huge backhands, but what took me by surprise is how nasty his serve is - a great prospect for the coming years!

Art&Soul
05-15-2005, 03:17 PM

s.

Yep, thanks for reminding me, i'm just so happy to forget that the Final streak is 19 by now then i can happily change my sig again thanks to my magic BOY :D

Sjengster
05-15-2005, 03:18 PM
I hope for one more finals victory to make a nice, round figure of 20 - and oh, if it could only happen three weeks from now...

There was doubt about Federer defending the title with his tough draw, but in hindsight I don't think the draw was as tough as predicted, due to a combination of upsets and the fatigue of other contenders, as well as Federer's good play. It's certainly impressive to be able to win a big clay event without dropping a set, but his route through included several young players whose inexperience showed, plus a fairly fatigued/uninspired Coria and a couple of perennial pigeons in Robredo and Davydenko. I shouldn't pour scorn on a victory like this so quickly, but after reading the comments of people on here that it wasn't a great match quality wise, I'm a bit worried about what sort of form Federer will actually be taking into RG, where conditions and the opponents will undoubtedly be tougher.

Mrs. B
05-15-2005, 03:19 PM
Roger hattricks Hamburg! :banana:

congrats Roger & well done Richard for making it to the finals! Your day will come!

Sjengster
05-15-2005, 03:20 PM
Roger hattricks Hamburg! :banana:

congrats Roger & well done Richard for making it to the finals! Your day will come!

Not quite. ;)

Neely
05-15-2005, 03:21 PM
No hattrick or threepeat, Coria won it in 2003. But three times overall for Federer.

sonia
05-15-2005, 03:22 PM
Well done Roger!!! :worship: And congrats to Gasquet!

Choupi
I understand them, it's terrible to have to speak a language when we're not sure to be able to make a sentence correctly.
And imagine the time he has spent revising it in his mind... :p Joke! Well, not that much... ;)

C3PO
Héhé, yes I remember .. Our French players really suck in English :/ .

Roger-No.1
05-15-2005, 03:28 PM
HAMBURG, Germany (AFP) - World number one Roger Federer avenged himself upon wonder-kid Richard Gasquet quicker than he can have ever expected when he beat the 18-year-old Frenchman in the final of the Hamburg Masters Series.

It was Federer's shock loss to Gasquet in last month's Masters Series in Monte Carlo that triggered a three-week absence from the tour with inflamed feet.

His 6-3, 7-5, 7-6 (7/4) success here also earned him his 41st win in 43 matches since last year's US Open, extended his all-time record of consecutive winning finals to 19, and retained his Hamburg title.

"This is not just a build-up to the French Open, this is a big tournament and one that I was pleased to win and am just as pleased to defend," said Federer.

"I am tired but when I get on court with Roger Federer, I will find the energy. It is a dream for me to play my first Masters Series final with him," the youngster said.

The dream was not quite the one he wanted. He only did himself justice in flashes and the match had a slightly surreal flavour with the roof pulled over even before the start in case of showers, giving a slightly sepia tinge to a blossom-laden May day.

There was also a hint of nostalgia about Federer's classic game, full of flowing drives and frequent net attacks which prevailed over the youngster's harder serving and more ambitious ground strokes.

Federer came to the net almost three times as often as Gasquet and more often mixed in short slices to take his opponent out of his comfort zones.

But the biggest difference was Federer's capacity to win the big points, Gasquet being unable to convert any of his five break points and having his defences broken by the sudden surge of driving pace with which Federer snatched a crucial mini-break two rallies before the end.

Gasquet seemed more nervous than usual both before and during the first set of his biggest final so far.

The second set however saw Gasquet begin to fire. He earned two more break points in the second game - again unconverted - and in the ninth game revealed some of his most dashing moments.

Once the teenager ran back for an attempted pass, whipping it cross court for a winner in the opposite direction to that in which he was moving.

Three rallies later he had the crowd in its feet after a sequence of spectacular retrieves which conjured a point from an apparently lost cause.

However, Federer hung on to his serve all through and things fell apart for Gasquet when he played one bad service game at 5-5 and it cost him the set.

It also cost him the chance of gaining control of the match too, though there were anxious moments between the two sets when the trainer had to take the scissors to a massive bandage on his left foot.

He made no mistake however and after a short time out Federer's foot seemed more than equal to the task of continuing.

The third set went with serve right through, with Federer wearing an increasingly casual air, and Gasquet realizing that a sudden surge from the champion was imminent.

When it came, with a backhand-down-the-line and forehand-down-the-line combination to get him to 5-4 in the tie-break with two serves to follow, it was predictable but nonetheless unstoppable.

That should have confirmed the world number one, already a winner of the other three Grand Slams, as one of the front-runners, along with Spain's Rafael Nadal and Argentina's Guillermo Coria, for the French Open.

Puschkin
05-15-2005, 03:28 PM
I shouldn't pour scorn on a victory like this so quickly, but after reading the comments of people on here that it wasn't a great match quality wise, I'm a bit worried about what sort of form Federer will actually be taking into RG, where conditions and the opponents will undoubtedly be tougher.

I have not seen any of the Hamburg matches, but can one do better than win the tourney without the loss of a set? :confused: ;) The standards for Roger get ridiculous.

Sjengster
05-15-2005, 03:30 PM
Hey, I'm only going by the comments of people on here who saw the final, I won't get to see it until later this afternoon. Enough posters have mentioned that he won it with his serve and with good play on important points, with a lot of errors interspersed, for me to doubt his chances at RG. Of course I hope he can turn it around this year, and for me next week is where Roche will really earn his money.

PaulieM
05-15-2005, 03:31 PM
Yay Roger!!! :hug: :yippee: :woohoo:

euroka1
05-15-2005, 03:31 PM

Yes, it probably did. I know how he must have felt. I don't think players should feel the least embarrassed about insisting on an interpreter. After all, they are there to play tennis. It's a minefield giving off the cuff remarks in a foreign language! Can get one into a lot of trouble.

lsy
05-15-2005, 03:32 PM
I hope for one more finals victory to make a nice, round figure of 20 - and oh, if it could only happen three weeks from now...

There was doubt about Federer defending the title with his tough draw, but in hindsight I don't think the draw was as tough as predicted, due to a combination of upsets and the fatigue of other contenders, as well as Federer's good play. It's certainly impressive to be able to win a big clay event without dropping a set, but his route through included several young players whose inexperience showed, plus a fairly fatigued/uninspired Coria and a couple of perennial pigeons in Robredo and Davydenko. I shouldn't pour scorn on a victory like this so quickly, but after reading the comments of people on here that it wasn't a great match quality wise, I'm a bit worried about what sort of form Federer will actually be taking into RG, where conditions and the opponents will undoubtedly be tougher.

I agree wth everything said except the match vs Coria. Tired or not I can't really tell but uninspired? Not really I think and that was one match of Rogi that he played the best this tournament, though it can be magnified coz of the match up.

As for RG, that's whole different matter there for Rogi that's for sure.

Action Jackson
05-15-2005, 03:35 PM
Yes, it probably did. I know how he must have felt. I don't think players should feel the least embarrassed about insisting on an interpreter. After all, they are there to play tennis. It's a minefield giving off the cuff remarks in a foreign language! Can get one into a lot of trouble.

He could have asked for a translator, but he chose to be brave and say a few words in a language that he is not comfortable in yet and good for him either way.

Sjengster
05-15-2005, 03:36 PM
Well, he played a great set and a half of tennis against Coria, but he really benefited from Coria's mistakes towards the end of the match, and that was either fatigue from him or a lack of belief that he could turn the match around - I mean, he doesn't usually miss forehands by the margin he did in the tiebreak. This title confirmed Federer's quality on Hamburg clay, but it didn't answer all the questions about his general level on clay and at RG.

Mrs. B
05-15-2005, 03:37 PM
No hattrick or threepeat, Coria won it in 2003. But three times overall for Federer.

he'll just have to win it again next year then for the real one, oder? ;)

yanchr
05-15-2005, 03:38 PM

I know you are right at least in some way, but

Give him a break esp after a big win on clay, will ya ;)

Irish
05-15-2005, 03:40 PM
Way to go Roger!!!! Much too close of a match for my liking but he got his revenge win. :D :kiss: :hearts:

Congrats Roger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bounce:

Sjengster
05-15-2005, 03:41 PM
Hey, I give credit to Federer for his attitude that every tournament is important - in other words, Hamburg isn't simply a RG warm-up but a big event in its own right that needs to be defended. That for me is one major characteristic where he differs from Pete "I'm all about the majors" Sampras.

Neely
05-15-2005, 03:42 PM
he'll just have to win it again next year then for the real one, oder? ;)
I guess you are right. For football players there are hattricks and real hattricks. So Roger has a hattrick now, but not a "real hattrick".

Action Jackson
05-15-2005, 03:42 PM
Hey, I give credit to Federer for his attitude that every tournament is important - in other words, Hamburg isn't simply a RG warm-up but a big event in its own right that needs to be defended. That for me is one major characteristic where he differs from Pete "I'm all about the majors" Sampras.

Plus he is multilingual unlike Sampras.

I get the point though he won here again, but it counts for nowt when it comes to RG.

lsy
05-15-2005, 03:43 PM
Well, he played a great set and a half of tennis against Coria, but he really benefited from Coria's mistakes towards the end of the match, and that was either fatigue from him or a lack of belief that he could turn the match around - I mean, he doesn't usually miss forehands by the margin he did in the tiebreak. This title confirmed Federer's quality on Hamburg clay, but it didn't answer all the questions about his general level on clay and at RG.

We can also talk about Coria benefitting from Rogi's errors from the game he did break. I mean, it's all relative I believe, not all mistakes is coz of fatigue/lack of belief/uninspired etc, sometimes it's probably coz of the pressures your opponents are putting on you (same like I believe happened on Rogi/Andy 1st set in Wimby last year). If I have to question Rogi's win for this match, I will put that as poor match up of Coria vs Rogi than anything else actually.

Last sentence I agreed.

Sjengster
05-15-2005, 03:44 PM
And he is somewhat less folically challenged than Sampras...

Deivid23
05-15-2005, 03:46 PM
I was expecting Richard to hit huge backhands, but what took me by surprise is how nasty his serve is - a great prospect for the coming years!

I think I overlooked and realized today is that he needs to improve a lot his return skills

Action Jackson
05-15-2005, 03:46 PM
The thing he won here it poses more questions than any answers as to how he'll perform at RG. He is not the favourite, but I want to see how he reacts when he has to play some grinding tennis on clay.

Sjengster
05-15-2005, 03:48 PM
We can also talk about Coria benefitting from Rogi's errors from the game he did break. I mean, it's all relative I believe, not all mistakes is coz of fatigue/lack of belief/uninspired etc, sometimes it's probably coz of the pressures your opponents are putting on you (same like I believe happened on Rogi/Andy 1st set in Wimby last year). If I have to question Rogi's win for this match, I will put that as poor match up of Coria vs Rogi than anything else actually.

Last sentence I agreed.

True, Coria did have to change his game to become more aggressive in the second set and he hit some big winners, including the one to break in the middle of the set, but also some extravagant errors at times. Really it's his lack of comfort going for so much that's a major problem for him against Federer, a couple of times he tried to unload on an off-forehand and Federer snapped his forehand back cross-court with twice as much power leaving Coria stranded. So yes, I guess I'm suddenly agreeing with you. ;)

Coria isn't the man I'm worried about for Paris, I mean if they actually get to meet there then the best of five format and Coria's greater experience at that stage of the tournament could be important, but there are other lower-ranked players with greater power who are potential banana-skins for Federer in Week 1.

tennischick
05-15-2005, 03:49 PM
hmmm...and i was thinking that Coria benefited from the delay caused by the old man falling down in the stands. they stopped the match for a good 5 minutes and Coria seemed to return a tad more rested and a lot better.

that said congrats KingRog :worship: glad you did it in straights and can't wait to see the match.

and congrats to Gasquet for a most respectable scoreline. but you can only beat the Master so many times and get away with it. ;)

Rogiman
05-15-2005, 03:49 PM
I think I overlooked and realized today is that he needs to improve a lot his return skills

Well, from this specific match you could have derived the same conclusion about Federer, whose returning skills are undoubted i think. ;)

Puschkin
05-15-2005, 03:50 PM
This title confirmed Federer's quality on Hamburg clay, but it didn't answer all the questions about his general level on clay and at RG.

With this, I can fully agree. He is no bigger favourite now than before Hamburg, but no lesser favourite either. But being worried after winning the title was maybe an unlucky way of phrasing your otherwise very correct statement ;) RG will be a new and different story. But there are worse ways to enter this tourney than with a Masters title ;)

tennischick
05-15-2005, 03:50 PM
i totally agree. ;)

Nacho
05-15-2005, 03:51 PM
5 AMS already played and only 2 different winners :retard:

Sjengster
05-15-2005, 03:51 PM
i totally agree. ;)

You'd probably agree with anything that was even slightly critical of the Android. :p

Roger-No.1
05-15-2005, 03:52 PM
Some facts:

No one had defended this title since 1995.

Deivid23
05-15-2005, 03:52 PM
Well, from this specific match you could have derived the same conclusion about Federer, whose returning skills are undoubted i think. ;)

Not the same, Gasquet missed a lot of chances on bad returns on 2nd serves, and those 2nd serves were not deep/strong/topspinned enough to make such a bad returns imo

Rogiman
05-15-2005, 03:53 PM
You'd probably agree with anything that was even slightly critical of the Android. :p

Exactly my thoughts :lol:

He was so much greater than Andre and she just can't get over it :p

tennischick
05-15-2005, 03:55 PM
you know me better than that. :p altho' i am still in shock that Bridgitte is letting him put that thing in her :eek:

tennischick
05-15-2005, 03:56 PM
He was so much greater than Andre and she just can't get over it :p
whare in India shall i send the divorce papers :mad:

lsy
05-15-2005, 03:56 PM
Coria isn't the man I'm worried about for Paris, I mean if they actually get to meet there then the best of five format and Coria's greater experience at that stage of the tournament could be important, but there are other lower-ranked players with greater power who are potential banana-skins for Federer in Week 1.

There's not a bit doubt on there I think. He'll start his prepartions in RG right after this, though I'm not sure why is he attending the Laureus award this year (I'm hoping it's coz there's some insided news that he'd won sth ;) ), I'll be really disappointed if he didn't go further than last year.

I mean most of us know he's isn't really the top few contenders in RG unlike other tournaments for him, but this negative talk about his chances right after a win despite a average performance is losing a bit of perspective imo.

Action Jackson
05-15-2005, 03:57 PM
you know me better than that. :p altho' i am still in shock that Bridgitte is letting him put that thing in her :eek:

He wasn't known as Pistol Pete just cause of his serve.

tennischick
05-15-2005, 03:58 PM
He wasn't known as Pistol Pete just cause of his serve.
so it's really bec he shoots fast? :lol:

Action Jackson
05-15-2005, 03:59 PM
so it's really bec he shoots fast? :lol:

The hirsute one is a sex machine, it's obvious.

Rogiman
05-15-2005, 03:59 PM
whare in India shall i send the divorce papers :mad:

If you dare leaving me I'll be chasing you for the rest of your life!

A world of pain, chick! :mad:

tennischick
05-15-2005, 04:01 PM
If you dare leaving me I'll be chasing you for the rest of your life!

A world of pain, chick! :mad:
another stalker :eek:

OK now i am off to study. can't wait to see this match later. sounds as if Gasquet made a superb effort. see you guys later :wavey: :kiss:

silverwhite
05-15-2005, 04:02 PM
Not the same, Gasquet missed a lot of chances on bad returns on 2nd serves, and those 2nd serves were not deep/strong/topspinned enough to make such a bad returns imo

I haven't watched the match, so I'm wondering what the difference here is, because he returned Federer's serve really well in Monte-Carlo. Did Federer serve better or did he feel the pressure of being in a final?

Deivid23
05-15-2005, 04:03 PM
I haven't watched the match, so I'm wondering what the difference here is, because he returned Federer's serve really well in Monte-Carlo. Did Federer serve better or did he feel the pressure of being in a final?

Donīt know, thatīs why I said it was a fact I overlooked in the other matches Iīve seen from him. Maybe was just a bad day.

mickymouse
In my opinion, Roger doesn't seem to be trying as hard as he did last year. Maybe it's because he's already proven himself, and thus, he just goes out there to get the job done, which is to win it in with as minimal an effort as possible. The only occasions when I actually get to see him putting in more effort is when he plays the higher ranked players, otherwise he can be quite sloppy at his game.

tennischick
Some facts:

No one had defended this title since 1995.
nice observations. thanks for compiling them. :wavey:

tennischick
05-15-2005, 04:05 PM
In my opinion, Roger doesn't seem to be trying as hard as he did last year. Maybe it's because he's already proven himself, and thus, he just goes out there to get the job done, which is to win it in with as minimal an effort as possible. The only occasions when I actually get to see him putting in more effort is when he plays the higher ranked players, otherwise he can be quite sloppy at his game.
that's called winning smart. you think he should do like Christophe or Ferrero and play outside himself all the time? that doesn't make any sense to me. a few sloppy games here and there as long as he keeps WINNING is an excellent strategy for avoiding injury and having a longer career. brilliant Rog! :worship:

Roger-No.1
05-15-2005, 04:10 PM
I'm wondering what the difference here is, because he returned Federer's serve really well in Monte-Carlo
Federer served better this time.

yanchr
05-15-2005, 04:11 PM
With this, I can fully agree. He is no bigger favourite now than before Hamburg, but no lesser favourite either. But being worried after winning the title was maybe an unlucky way of phrasing your otherwise very correct statement ;) RG will be a new and different story. But there are worse ways to enter this tourney than with a Masters title ;)
:worship::worship: See, we agree again, TOTALLY agree.

I really dont get so many people here including many Roger fans are moaning about his chance in RG. The cause is as simple as, he just put on a not so good performance in a clay final where he actualy won in straight sets. What's the point now to diss his chance in RG? I agree it's a different story to win here than to actually have a very decent shot at RG, but what's all the negative talk AT THE MOMENT when he just won sth big on clay? Senseless to me completely.

LilyRoseAva
05-15-2005, 04:18 PM
so cute !

http://img184.echo.cx/img184/3656/u354p6t12d1561212f44dt20050515.jpg

richard gasquet
even if he lost, I m proud of what he done.He is a qualifier, played two match more than federer and reach his first master serie finale. :worship: :worship:

He played well but federer is the n°1, he is more experienced and a great fighter.Lets wait a few time and richard will be able to worry him in that kind of match.

Bravo richard and good luck for roland garros!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :yeah:

ps: swiss-france 1-1 federer def gasquet
mauresmo def schnyder. :p

Sjengster
Maybe I'm guilty, unlike Federer, of looking at this result entirely in relation to RG rather than on its own - after all, he's won this title twice before and gone on to do nothing in Paris. In general I don't think it's a bad idea to do just enough to win most of the time, and conserve your energy for the matches where you really need to produce your best, but clay is surely the one surface where doing just enough won't work all the time. I mean, had Federer played his first round match at RG last year the same way he did his first round match at, for instance, the US Open, he would probably have been dumped out at the first hurdle again; somewhere along the line in Paris, earlier in the tournament than he would like, he is going to have to dig deep and grind out a win without keeping anything in reserve.

As a title in its own right, which I probably should be looking at it as, I have no real complaints, especially since fears of his rustiness on clay proved to be unfounded. If anything, his lack of play in recent weeks was an advantage compared to the rest of the field. I'm probably feeling underwhelmed at the moment because I didn't get to see the final live, thanks to the clever scheduling of Sky Sports. But in Masters Series terms it is a brilliant achievement - has anyone won three out of the first five TMS events in a year before?

me_luv_Dommy
05-15-2005, 04:20 PM
Congrats Rogi! :)

Great fight, Gasquet ^^

onewoman74
05-15-2005, 04:22 PM
Good win Fed...good luck at the FO!!

Skyward
05-15-2005, 04:28 PM
In general I don't think it's a bad idea to do just enough to win most of the time, and conserve your energy for the matches where you really need to produce your best, but clay is surely the one surface where doing just enough won't work all the time. I mean, had Federer played his first round match at RG last year the same way he did his first round match at, for instance, the US Open, he would probably have been dumped out at the first hurdle again; somewhere along the line in Paris, earlier in the tournament than he would like, he is going to have to dig deep and grind out a win without keeping anything in reserve.

With a weak draw, tired opponents, perenial pigeons, and unexperienced juniors he simply didn't need to dig deep. Not every match turns out to be a 6 hour classic, and that's not too bad, considering RG is around the corner. :)

nermo
05-15-2005, 04:30 PM
Congratulations Federer... :bigclap: :yeah: Well Done, this title i think ll add to feds Confidence before RG..i guess he s finding his ways on clay...Wonderful..(what can be more interesting than federer playing federerish style on clay ..and winning ;) )

After the match ..He said:

``I knew it would be tough, he showed today how well he can play,''
well, for all those who think Gasquet is overrated...i think that proves it s wrong..i guess a good future is waiting for this guy..he just needs time..

User id 7816
05-15-2005, 04:30 PM
Nice match, but you can say Fed already knew Gasquet so no surprises..Roger playing the important games better and winning them, breaking the end of 2nd and closing the match in the tiebreak...sometimes it all comes down to this doesnt it...congrats to both and great tourney for Gasquet, maybe some good things are for him at RG :)

Roger-No.1
05-15-2005, 04:33 PM
http://us.news3.yimg.com/img.news.yahoo.com/util/anysize/345,http%3A%2F%2Fus.news1.yimg.com%2Fus.yimg.com%2 Fp%2Frids%2F20050515%2Fi%2Fr1337573098.jpg

http://us.news3.yimg.com/img.news.yahoo.com/util/anysize/345,http%3A%2F%2Fus.news2.yimg.com%2Fus.yimg.com%2 Fp%2Fap%2F20050515%2Fcapt.fhbg10505151510.germany_ tennis_fhbg105.jpg

Scotso
05-15-2005, 04:35 PM
Richard :(

Art&Soul
05-15-2005, 04:39 PM
Wow ROGI is so cute with his newest trophy, gotta love him more :hearts: :kiss: :hearts: Thanks Roger-1 :hug:

Clara Bow
05-15-2005, 04:56 PM
Does anyone know what Roger said in his speech during the trophy presentation that made people laugh?

Roger seemed pretty happy with his win. One thing that I love about him is that he is very appreciative of all his tournament wins, not just the GS. As ususal, he was very gracious and complimentary to his opponent after the match. Which Richard richly deserved. Watching Roger's actions during this tournament reminded me once again how he seems to be a very warm fellow before and after play, such as when he was talking to his little mascots and how he seems genuine when shaking his oppenents hands.

Black Adam
05-15-2005, 05:24 PM
Roger played well.........hope he plays as well as in this tourney at FO to make things more interesting ;)

-sOfia-
05-15-2005, 05:32 PM
WD Fed. :yeah:

abro
05-15-2005, 05:56 PM
very nice roger :bowdown:

vincayou
05-15-2005, 06:02 PM
No surprises then in the result. Too bad that none of them had brought their A game. 19 final won in a row, it's really ridiculous now. And clay season is almost over, so oppotunities to players like Nadal to end it will be scarce.

Props to Roger to win it while playing not so well. Richard, it was his best result so far, so he must not be too sad I think. An amazing week for him.

ClaycourtaZzZz.
05-15-2005, 06:03 PM
Does anyone know what Roger said in his speech during the trophy presentation that made people laugh?

Roger seemed pretty happy with his win. One thing that I love about him is that he is very appreciative of all his tournament wins, not just the GS. As ususal, he was very gracious and complimentary to his opponent after the match. Which Richard richly deserved. Watching Roger's actions during this tournament reminded me once again how he seems to be a very warm fellow before and after play, such as when he was talking to his little mascots and how he seems genuine when shaking his oppenents hands.

He told: Do you know, Richard won 1 match more then me? But I won the importent match;)
and joking with boris:

Thanks to all sponsors..... last but not least Boris " I still like you" :D
He was so happy:) :wavey:

ClaycourtaZzZz.
05-15-2005, 06:10 PM
He has a new haircut eh?

mitalidas
05-15-2005, 06:26 PM
the hair is definitely shorter than at the beginning of the year
looks good

Billabong
05-15-2005, 06:29 PM
yes, I also think he cut them recently;) maybe we won't see them long for a looong time :eek:

Clara Bow
05-15-2005, 06:31 PM
Liking the shorter 'do as well. In Motne Carlo it was looking a bit longer and I was worried that he was growing it out again.

Leo
05-15-2005, 06:36 PM
His hair getting shorter and shorter, as promised.

Nice run, Richard!

lucashg
05-15-2005, 06:39 PM
Great win, Fed! Congrats. I didn't see the match so I can't say anything about how they played. But :woohoo:
Great result for Gasquet as well, I have no doubts his time will come.

ClaycourtaZzZz.
05-15-2005, 06:41 PM
hehe:D

vincayou
05-15-2005, 06:47 PM
Just read an interview of Gasquet after his game, I translate : "I had several occasion but I didn't return well during the whole match and this was the key as he never lost his service during the entire match."

Well, nothing really that we could not have guessed, but I like translating stuff. :)

lina_seta
05-15-2005, 07:06 PM
wooohhooo congratulations Roger for ur 19th consecutive final =D!!!!!!!!!
hope he goes to RG in great form...

silverwhite
05-15-2005, 07:26 PM
Just read an interview of Gasquet after his game, I translate : "I had several occasion but I didn't return well during the whole match and this was the key as he never lost his service during the entire match."

Well, nothing really that we could not have guessed, but I like translating stuff. :)

Link please? :)

NYCtennisfan
05-15-2005, 08:04 PM

This is what Sampras did and it allowed him to be ultra-competitive for many, many years.

Deivid23
05-15-2005, 08:08 PM

It was clear for me that was the main weakness Gasquet showed today, thanks for sharing

lucashg
05-15-2005, 08:33 PM

That's quite intriguing and surprising for me. IMO, his best weapons in his win over Federer in Monte-Carlo were both his backhand and his return of serve. What happened?

:confused:

silverwhite
05-15-2005, 08:37 PM
That's quite intriguing and surprising for me. IMO, his best weapons in his win over Federer in Monte-Carlo were both his backhand and his return of serve. What happened?

:confused:

Federer probably learnt his lesson and changed his tactics.

Dirk
05-15-2005, 08:56 PM

Did Roger mishit any 2nd serves that were not deep and topspin heavy? Hey Deivid can I use this same excuse if Roger loses to Nadal at RG?

Deivid23
05-15-2005, 09:04 PM
Did Roger mishit any 2nd serves that were not deep and topspin heavy? Hey Deivid can I use this same excuse if Roger loses to Nadal at RG?

lol I really donīt find any sense to this post of yours, but anyway I will tell u that Iīm not talking about excuses here cause I couldnīt care less about who was going to win Hamburg today, just was offering my point of view since a lot of posters couldnīt watch the match. Stop posting when being drunk, dude.

Chloe le Bopper
05-15-2005, 09:07 PM
Roger is just lucky that Gasquet wasn't really trying.

nermo
05-15-2005, 09:09 PM
Roger is just lucky that Gasquet wasn't really trying posted by Chloe

u re kidding ..Right? :devil: :angel:

NATAS81
05-15-2005, 09:09 PM
His hair was longer during the match, either he snipped it before the trophy presentation, or just went with the businessman look and ran it back.

Chloe le Bopper
05-15-2005, 09:10 PM
posted by Chloe

u re kidding ..Right? :devil: :angel:
;)

Seleshfan
05-15-2005, 09:10 PM
No Roger is just lucky some old man didn't collapse in the stands today.

Deejay
05-15-2005, 09:11 PM
Wow fed wins another title, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..yorn...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Dirk
05-15-2005, 09:18 PM
lol I really donīt find any sense to this post of yours, but anyway I will tell u that Iīm not talking about excuses here cause I couldnīt care less about who was going to win Hamburg today, just was offering my point of view since a lot of posters couldnīt watch the match. Stop posting when being drunk, dude.

Read your post that I quoted. You said Gasquet missed a lot of chances when returning 2nd serves which were not that good badly. So I am asking you if Roger mishit any not so good 2nd serves when Richard was serving. I don't understand how you cannot follow that? Clearly you did understand it but since you were beaten, you decided to attack the poster rather than admit his point. You clearly do care because you have posted several times in this thread and all of them were saying subtlety that Roger didn't win but Richard lost it. Curious can you tell me how many break points Richard saved?

nermo
05-15-2005, 09:19 PM
Federer was just lucky, Gasquet wasnot trying posted by Chloe

Good to see your sense of humor at that time of the day..it really helps ;)

:yeah:

NATAS81
05-15-2005, 09:19 PM
Gasquet won 90% of 1st serves in the 1st set.

Chloe le Bopper
05-15-2005, 09:20 PM
I usually think the same thing and wonder to myself why it's still thrilling for people the 500th time, even if they like him. Then I remember that I was thrilled when Rafa won Rome and decide to say nothing at all.

federer express
05-15-2005, 09:21 PM
I usually think the same thing and wonder to myself why it's still thrilling for people the 500th time, even if they like him. Then I remember that I was thrilled when Rafa won Rome and decide to say nothing at all.

its always cool when your favourite player wins!

Sjengster
05-15-2005, 09:22 PM
Because it's not going to last forever, that's why. And especially on this surface. Mind you, I suppose the contrasting ways in which Nadal and Federer won these last two clay TMS finals tells you something about the difference in their games and personalities... Nadal clearly the favourite if they meet in Paris, I reckon.

nermo
05-15-2005, 09:25 PM
Then I remember that I was thrilled when Rafa won Rome and decide to say nothing at all. posted by Chloe

is that true?? why didnot you...(May be cuz u were feeling sorry for CORIA.. :sad: ?)
well , seriously speaking, ppl differ in their reaction towards their fans winning..some feels it a part of their responsability to show others they care if their fav. players win..thats my explanation.. :confused:

Deivid23
05-15-2005, 09:30 PM
Read your post that I quoted. You said Gasquet missed a lot of chances when returning 2nd serves which were not that good badly. So I am asking you if Roger mishit any not so good 2nd serves when Richard was serving. I don't understand how you cannot follow that? Clearly you did understand it but since you were beaten, you decided to attack the poster rather than admit his point. You clearly do care because you have posted several times in this thread and all of them were saying subtlety that Roger didn't win but Richard lost it. Curious can you tell me how many break points Richard saved?

lol Another cup of vodka, mate? If you watched the match itīs a pretty obvious conclussion Gasquet missed a lot of chances bc of his bad day at return, himself has confirmed later that, so even if u are drunk you canīt do too much about it. Roger missed returns, bhīs fhīs and volleys, even with that heīs such a classact that managed to win quite easily, but Gasquet main weakness were his returns, thatīs why I pointed that fact out.

If you conclude that I cared about who was going to win it, that I was beaten by your "brilliant" post and that Iīm trying to say that Roger didnīt win it but Richard lost it, either you are drunk as I suggested before or you need a lot more practise at understanding after reading.

Dirk
05-15-2005, 09:34 PM
In your first reply to me all you had to do was acknowledge that Roger himself missed returns and cut out all the other crap. From what you typed, you made it seem as if Richard lost the match and Roger really didn't deserve it. No other conclusions can be drawn from what you typed earlier. I could post about how coria blew it in the 5th set of the Rome final but I won't because it would take away from Nadal's win and Nadal won the really important points Coria didn't.

Chloe le Bopper
05-15-2005, 09:36 PM
its always cool when your favourite player wins!

I was a JCF fan back when he won a lot (relatively speaking) and after a while it became less exciting ;)

Chloe le Bopper
05-15-2005, 09:38 PM
In your first reply to me all you had to do was acknowledge that Roger himself missed returns and cut out all the other crap. From what you typed, you made it seem as if Richard lost the match and Roger really didn't deserve it. No other conclusions can be drawn from what you typed earlier. I could post about how coria blew it in the 5th set of the Rome final but I won't because it would take away from Nadal's win and Nadal won the really important points Coria didn't.
No, you won't because you know that the second you do you'll get hit with about three posts on how a certain somebody lucked out in the Miami final.... using the same logic, of course.

ZabaletaFan
05-15-2005, 09:40 PM
Congrats Roger:)

Dirk
05-15-2005, 09:42 PM
How did Nadal blow it in the 3rd set in Miami? He was never up a double break.

Chloe le Bopper
05-15-2005, 09:43 PM
How did Nadal blow it in the 3rd set in Miami? He was never up a double break.
If you can't see where I was going with that, then me spelling it out for you isn't going to help.

JCF
05-15-2005, 09:44 PM
I agree with you, tennis needs a bit of variety :)

Dirk
05-15-2005, 09:46 PM
No let's spell it out. Nadal was up a break and Roger broke him back. Yes I know about the terrible call but at the same time one could ask if Nadal ever benefitted from a bad call. If it was a cluster of them then ok he was robbed. Nadal still could have won that match in the 3rd set, and the 4th set and the 5th set. It's not Roger's fault that Nadal who was off for 2.5 weeks couldn't last a single 5 setter on hardcourts.

Chloe le Bopper
Yes, and thank goodness the claycourt season brought some!

federer express

strange i thought we were getting that. with nadal's wins, ferrero coming back to form and gasquet finding his game. not to mention rochus reching the semis.

and tennis doesn't need 'variety' as you put it. just needs high class, exciting matches...which we are getting!

federer express
05-15-2005, 09:48 PM
Yes, and thank goodness the claycourt season brought some!

actually got some before the clay court season started at the risk of being the person who says 'not everything good in tennis is directly linked to clay!'

Deivid23
05-15-2005, 09:51 PM
In your first reply to me all you had to do was acknowledge that Roger himself missed returns and cut out all the other crap.

lol. You talked about excuses from me, when it wasnīt even near my intentions to excuse anyone, Gasquet has enough fans at this board to do that, trust me. As I said before, Roger missed every kind of shots during the match, fhīs bhīs and returns, Gasquet mainly was bad at his returns and I thought it could help people who couldnīt watch the match if I shared that point of view (you can look also in the in-game thread that I was saying that far before the game was finished).

From what you typed, you made it seem as if Richard lost the match and Roger really didn't deserve it. No other conclusions can be drawn from what you typed earlier.

You have a problem with understanding after reading, sorry but I canīt help you with that. Teachers get this job done at schools.

I could post about how coria blew it in the 5th set of the Rome final but I won't because it would take away from Nadal's win and Nadal won the really important points Coria didn't.

Please do it, Iīm having fun here, that only would do it even more amusing

Dirk
05-15-2005, 09:54 PM
Your posts Deivid only consisted of richard messing up on the 2nd serve returns. You gave no other information in your posts. That is why anyone who reads the first few of them will come to the same conclusion as I did. I won't talk about the Rome final because like i said Nadal deserved it and the rest is just sour grapes. You clearly were eating some when you started posting in this thread.

Chloe le Bopper
05-15-2005, 09:56 PM
actually got some before the clay court season started at the risk of being the person who says 'not everything good in tennis is directly linked to clay!'
I was being totally sarcastic. Variety? What variety? Nadal won everything that matters that Fed didn't, and that was your Miami final.

That doesn't mean there isn't time for variety at RG, but I wouldn't hold my breathe. Unless Safin counts as variety.

nermo
05-15-2005, 09:59 PM
I could post about how coria blew it in the 5th set of the Rome final but I won't because it would take away from Nadal's win and Nadal won the really important points Coria didn't. posted by Dirk

Please do it, Iīm having fun here, that only would do it even more amusing posted by Deivid

;) ;) its really weird how That Coria issue about stability shows up after any match discussion on this board...
the poor guy :angel: is really helping ppl here..without intentions to do it..

Sjengster
05-15-2005, 10:00 PM
That's just what I was thinking, Chloe - I seem to remember when people were saying during the middle of Federer's hardcourt TMS domination that the clay season would take tennis in a new and unexpected direction. Well, new yes, but not perhaps the most unpredictable development one could imagine. It's always a bit risky to apply the Great Men historical theory to tennis, especially considering the depth on the ATP and the unpredictability of certain QF/SF line-ups (Christophe Rochus, anyone?), but since the AO there have only been two standout players on tour carving up the big titles between them.

federer express
05-15-2005, 10:01 PM
I was being totally sarcastic. Variety? What variety? Nadal won everything that matters that Fed didn't, and that was your Miami final.

That doesn't mean there isn't time for variety at RG, but I wouldn't hold my breathe. Unless Safin counts as variety.

i dont understand people crying out for variety. the best players will win most of the tournaments. thats just the way it is. and when we get variety people just moan that it was a fluke or undeserved (example: johansson winning the aussie open)

nermo
05-15-2005, 10:02 PM
That doesn't mean there isn't time for variety at RG, but I wouldn't hold my breathe. Unless Safin counts as variety

Safin??? the guy is far from winning any titles soon..which means..he ll win one soon :rolleyes: :silly:

Dirk
05-15-2005, 10:04 PM
i dont understand people crying out for variety. the best players will win most of the tournaments. thats just the way it is. and when we get variety people just moan that it was a fluke or undeserved (example: johansson winning the aussie open)

Very true sadly.

Daniel
05-15-2005, 10:05 PM
Well done my baby Roger :kiss: :hug: :smooch: :banana:
always showing why he is the #1 ;)

JCF
05-15-2005, 10:06 PM
Variety = more than 2 players winning big events. There are more than 2 great players out there today, I'm sure most fans wouldn't have minded Coria, Ferrero, Nalbandian or someone winning a TMS rather than Federer again.

Deivid23
05-15-2005, 10:07 PM
Your posts Deivid only consisted of richard messing up on the 2nd serve returns. You gave no other information in your posts.

This is the first right thing u post in a while, congrats. Now Iīll tell u a secret: (of course you are not supposed to notice even less after Iīve realized the hard times you go through when trying to understand some posts).

I was quoting Rogiman (a poster I have a good consideration at, btw), bc he praised Gasquetīs nice serving. I like to discuss with him bc I know he prefers Gasquet to Nadal and I was pointing a bad thing I noticed about Richard today, his return skills. Just wanted to point that out and maybe start a discussion about that. If you think thatīs an offense to Rogerīs credit, nothing much I can do about as I said before. Blame it on your teachers, or on vodka....

That is why anyone who reads the first few of them will come to the same conclusion as I did.

Disagree. I donīt think everyone had the same teachers as u or drink the same cups of vodka on Sundays.

I won't talk about the Rome final because like i said Nadal deserved it and the rest is just sour grapes. You clearly were eating some when you started posting in this thread.

A pity, it would be funny. I like grapes, but the ones I have had for dinner were just delicious. ;)

federer express
05-15-2005, 10:08 PM
Variety = more than 2 players winning big events. There are more than 2 great players out there today, I'm sure most fans wouldn't have minded Coria, Ferrero, Nalbandian or someone winning a TMS rather than Federer again.

thats a crap argument. if coria had been good enough to win this week he would have. and personally i'd rather see federer win on clay than any typical clay-courter

Sjengster
05-15-2005, 10:09 PM

You won't hear that from me (well, unless it's the Raccoon or some similar nightmare). TBE, ys and a couple of other supremacist clowns don't speak for everyone on this board.

Chloe le Bopper
05-15-2005, 10:11 PM
Hey, I don't have a problem with whoever is winning as long as the matches are good.... well, generally. I'm just saying ;)

Sjengster
05-15-2005, 10:12 PM
thats a crap argument. if coria had been good enough to win this week he would have. and personally i'd rather see federer win on clay than any typical clay-courter

Depends what you mean by a "typical clay-courter", some of them I like and some of them I don't. But it is fair to say that Ferrero and Nalbandian's losses had nothing to do with either Federer or Nadal - it's poor health/inconsistency that have prevented the latter from making an impact in any big events since the AO. When people say that a couple of top players are ruining things by dominating and denying others a chance at victory, they don't always remember that their favourite players are often not losing to the aforesaid dominant champions.

Chloe le Bopper
05-15-2005, 10:12 PM
Gee, i can't imagine why you'd rather that.

JCF
05-15-2005, 10:13 PM
I'm not arguing with you, I'm stating an opinion. I know that Federer is too good for most players around but that doesn't mean its interesting too see him win all the time. I guess as a fan though you can't see that, and when did unpredictability hurt.

I would like to go into a match between Hewitt-Federer, Roddick-Federer etc actually thinking both guys have a chance of victory. I doens't bother me 'who plays better tennis' or 'who is more talented', i'd like to switch on and actually not know who is gonna win. Variety in the sense of the 10 or so players at the top of the game sharing titles.

federer express
05-15-2005, 10:14 PM
Gee, i can't imagine why you'd rather that.

lol. hey thats not fair. i like coria and ferrero and would love to see them win a big title again soon. i said i would rather see federer win on clay instead of them because it is not his strongest surface. in the same way i would love to see a clay courter win the us open or even wimbledon!

Sjengster
05-15-2005, 10:14 PM
Although now that I come to think of it, Ferrero has already lost to Coria and Nadal in big events on clay this year - and even before that he took losses on hardcourt to Federer and the Frog, who much as I hate to admit it is one of the big new successes of 2005.

Dirk
05-15-2005, 10:17 PM
Deivid read your first two posts here. Number 72 and 82. You just talked about Richard's bad returning. Anyone who reads them will conclude that you believe Richard lost it and Roger didn't win the match. Rogiman argued that Roger has a great return yet return badly today so that doesn't make him a bad returner. Your first two posts were all about Richard's bad returning and implying that is what cost him the match. You said nothing about Roger's mistakes helping Richard out till I brought it up.

nermo
05-15-2005, 10:19 PM
lol. hey thats not fair. i like coria and ferrero and would love to see them win a big title again soon. i said i would rather see federer win on clay instead of them because it is not his strongest surface. in the same way i would love to see a clay courter win the us open or even wimbledon! posted Federer express

nice point...but first it would be nice of them to win a clay title..at least its easier in the mean time..dont u think so??

Deivid23
05-15-2005, 10:33 PM
Deivid read your first two posts here. Number 72 and 82. You just talked about Richard's bad returning. Anyone who reads them will conclude that you believe Richard lost it and Roger didn't win the match.

From my point of view, everyone who reads those two posts would conclude:

"This poster thinks Gasquet has to improve his return skills bc today he missed a lot chances off returns on Federerīs 2nd serve, which many of them were not deep/hard/topspinned enough to have such a bad ratio"

(in fact he either missed them or brought them back way short)

If you think thatīs not giving credit to Roger, nothing much I can do about.

Rogiman argued that Roger has a great return yet return badly today so that doesn't make him a bad returner.

Thatīs why I said it could have been just a bad day for Richard.

Your first two posts were all about Richard's bad returning and implying that is what cost him the match. You said nothing about Roger's mistakes helping Richard out till I brought it up.

If he had returned better in the 2nd set those 2nd serves, I had the feeling he would probably have won that set, cause he was being the better player in that moment. But he was not good enough at taking his chances. Once again, thatīs far away from not giving Roger the credit he deserves. If u didnīt realized yet I will tell u another secret:

I also admire Federer ;)

vincayou
05-15-2005, 10:49 PM
What I understood from Deivid is that Roger was not in a very good day, thus Richard should have taken profit of it but couldn't as his return were very bad. Then in the end few breaks for a clay match with 2 attacking players.
In the end, Roger, much better in key moments (one reason why he's number one) took each set relatively easy. GSM Federer, but not a brillant match from both player(not bad either but nothing particular).

I add that I haven't seen a single second of it on TV. :)

Dirk
05-15-2005, 10:53 PM
You are a Federer admirer who almost as much as I can remember always cheers against him Deivid. You didn't give Roger credit from the get-go and wouldn't talk about his mistakes until pressed about it. That says a lot.

tennischick
05-15-2005, 10:58 PM
No Roger is just lucky some old man didn't collapse in the stands today.
:lol: best comment in this thread.

man Rogi can't catch a break with some of you guys. even when he's winning he's still not doing it right. sheesh. :rolleyes:

Deivid23
05-15-2005, 10:59 PM
You are a Federer admirer who almost as much as I can remember always cheers against him Deivid. You didn't give Roger credit from the get-go and wouldn't talk about his mistakes until pressed about it. That says a lot.

Ok then, Iīm a Federer hater cause I always cheer against him and I underrate him. I only like Nadal and everyone apart from him is crap. I guess your bottle is about to run out of vodka...

federer express
05-15-2005, 11:00 PM
Ok then, Iīm a Federer hater cause I always cheer against him and I underrate him. I only like Nadal and everyone apart from him is crap. I guess your bottle is about to ran out of vodka...

oh god is this bollocks discussion still going on

Deejay
05-15-2005, 11:01 PM
Totally agree with JCF. I think it's becoming quite boring with Federer winning basically every tournament he enters into. It would be much better for the game with the top 10 players all fighting it out against each other for big titles, but really it is federer's title for him to lose before it even starts. The emergence of Nadal has been a breath of fresh air. Federer is so far ahead of everyone else that apart from Nadal on a clay court, he literally has no rivals. It would be great tuning in for Federer-Roddick/Hewitt/Agassi matches not knowing who is going to win, but its just the opposite.

Most of roger's matches this year have been non-events and total bore-fests - such as the indian wells final against hewitt, the match was dead from the beginning - no atmosphere, fed played in 2nd gear most of the match and won in straight sets. Hamburg this week, I would say he never played out of 2nd gear again to win the title, the match against Robredo was one of the biggest jokes ever - it was painful to watch, Fed played a distinctly average match and still wipped his opponent - the arena was dead/flat for the entirety and you could say the match was won on fed's reputation more than anything.

Dont get me wrong I used to love watching federer play but since the start of the year I think it has become very boring with him basically winning everyting and apart from Nadal on clay there isnt anyone stepping up to challenge him. At least with sampras it was interesting - Agassi beat him 15 times...now that is what you call a rivalry.

Dirk
05-15-2005, 11:01 PM
I never implied the second part but the first part is pretty close to the truth except that you don't underrate him on any other surface besides clay, because that would be just too foolish. :o

tennischick
05-15-2005, 11:04 PM
Ok then, Iīm a Federer hater cause I always cheer against him and I underrate him. I only like Nadal and everyone apart from him is crap. I guess your bottle is about to ran out of vodka...
run...

and your supply seems endless :wavey:

Deivid23
05-15-2005, 11:06 PM
I never implied the second part but the first part is pretty close to the truth except that you don't underrate him on any other surface besides clay, because that would be just too foolish. :o

Ok, you win, I underrate Federer on clay (I also say heīs not my first favourite to win RG this year, hereīs one more thing for you to support your theory) and Iīm a Federer hater. Any more brilliant guesses from your side or can we consider this finished?

Deivid23
05-15-2005, 11:09 PM
run...

and your supply seems endless :wavey:

Thanks for correction, didnīt re-read my post, was a bad mistake indeed.

Nah, I donīt like vodka to be honest. Iīll take that as a bad attempt of sarcasm ;)

vincayou
05-15-2005, 11:12 PM
I read an interview of Federer where he said that he was surprised by the way Gasquet was returning his second serve as it was nothing in Monte carlo, and winning loads of points in the process. So he tried to change things a bit today on his second serve (more effect, I don't know) and it paid off.

I heard Gasquet saying that he thought that Federer had served very well.

tennischick
05-15-2005, 11:14 PM
Thanks for correction, didnīt re-read my post, was a bad mistake indeed.

Nah, I donīt like vodka to be honest. Iīll take that as a bad attempt of sarcasm ;)
rum? whisky?? something must explain your persistence with drivel.

Deivid23
05-15-2005, 11:22 PM
rum? whisky?? something must explain your persistence with drivel.

What you can consider drivel I may find it amusing and what you can think about a serious note I can consider it as drivel, have u ever thought? ;)

mitalidas
05-15-2005, 11:22 PM
I read an interview of Federer where he said that he was surprised by the way Gasquet was returning his second serve as it was nothing in Monte carlo, and winning loads of points in the process. So he tried to change things a bit today on his second serve (more effect, I don't know) and it paid off.

Federer said after the match that his kick serve would be particularly effective, and had decided to go with that

lunahielo
05-15-2005, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by Tennis Chick
man Rogi can't catch a break with some of you guys. even when he's winning he's still not doing it right. sheesh.

:lol:

Bottom line: If he's winning, he's doing it right!
Good job, Rogi!

Deivid23
05-15-2005, 11:25 PM

That must have been a factor indeed, and maybe it had more to do with that what I first thought. Anyway, I have the feeling Richard could have made more with a lot of that 2nd serves.

tennischick
05-15-2005, 11:38 PM
What you can consider drivel I may find it amusing and what you can think about a serious note I can consider it as drivel, have u ever thought? ;)
the rum has definitely kicked in. :lol:

Deivid23
05-15-2005, 11:42 PM
the rum has definitely kicked in. :lol:

You finally got it, wasnīt too hard I guess :)

Rogiman
05-15-2005, 11:48 PM
Well, since I'm some how involved in all this I should at least express my opinion that I found nothing controversial at all about what Deivid said :shrug:

Dirk, since I believe he had been really indifferent about the outcome of the match it may very well be that the biased ones are us Federer fans, which is explicable and normal.

No need to apologize for being a fan of a certain player, but it's even more redundant to jump all over someone who's not a fan and speaks his mind out.

deekaye
05-16-2005, 01:05 AM
Yep, Rogi didn't get broken once in the whole match:D! Gasquet had a few break points though, in the first and 2nd sets, but Rogi stayed strong and won the important points to win his 3rd Hamburg title:yeah:! Rogi loves Hamburg and Hamburg loves Rogi:yeah:!!

Roger Federer is the best I have seen in saving breakpoints against him,and this includes Sampras,who was the previous best in this department of the game.

Deekaye

NYCtennisfan
05-16-2005, 01:07 AM
I think I had this same discussion with Deivid23 during the Nando/Federer match. There's nothing wrong with rooting against Federer or any other player which is obvious in Deivid23's posts.

Dirk
05-16-2005, 01:15 AM
Nope NYC there isn't, but you have to keep that in mind when reading one sided posts like the one he wrote about Richard's lack of good returning costing him the match. No where did he give Roger credit. I don't know how anyone can't sense the bitterness in his first two posts here but :shrug:

Deivid23
05-16-2005, 01:26 AM
I think I had this same discussion with Deivid23 during the Nando/Federer match. There's nothing wrong with rooting against Federer or any other player which is obvious in Deivid23's posts.

Yes Iīm a Federer hater as Dirk has brilliantly guessed, youīre the second one that notices, great minds think alike...

Deivid23
05-16-2005, 01:28 AM
Nope NYC there isn't, but you have to keep that in mind when reading one sided posts like the one he wrote about Richard's lack of good returning costing him the match. No where did he give Roger credit. I don't know how anyone can't sense the bitterness in his first two posts here but :shrug:

Some weeks ago I was a Gasquet hater, but suddenly Iīve become a fan of him and a Rogerīs hater. Even a chameleon canīt do better lol

Bilbo
05-16-2005, 01:34 AM
it doesn't surprise me federer didn't drop a set all week. remember this is hamburg where he feels like home (just without pressure). paris on the other side is a place where he doesn't feel comfortable.

bad gambler
05-16-2005, 02:05 AM
congrats to federer

playhard
05-16-2005, 03:33 AM
good game, although i haven't watched it. will watch it this evening :)

Becarina
05-16-2005, 04:58 AM
Congrats to Rog again... ;)

yomike
05-16-2005, 05:13 AM
men's tennis is getting too predictable. why can't they defeat federer :mad:
Gasquet kaya na unta nimo next time pildihon si federer!

Headline:May 24, 2005
Top Seed Federer Upset in First Round at the French

Chloe le Bopper
05-16-2005, 05:36 AM
Some weeks ago I was a Gasquet hater, but suddenly Iīve become a fan of him and a Rogerīs hater. Even a chameleon canīt do better lol

You are a hater of every player that the fantwats don't think you slobber over enough.

MissMoJo
05-16-2005, 05:41 AM
Congrats to Rogi :yeah: but i'm kinda worried about the foot, the commentators kept saying that he wasn't moving well and he had to get it retaped late in the match :unsure: I hope this problem doesn't persist and, he stays fit and confident for RG.

robinhood
05-16-2005, 06:25 AM
Headline:May 24, 2005
Top Seed Federer Upset in First Round at the French

Hey! :mad:

:D It's funny though.
Hopefully that won't happen!

El Legenda
05-16-2005, 06:38 AM
Go Roger!!! :)

Deivid23
05-16-2005, 11:45 AM
You are a hater of every player that the fantwats don't think you slobber over enough.

;)

Action Jackson
05-16-2005, 11:52 AM
;)

Cool, join the club.

lsy
05-16-2005, 01:00 PM
True, Coria did have to change his game to become more aggressive in the second set and he hit some big winners, including the one to break in the middle of the set, but also some extravagant errors at times. Really it's his lack of comfort going for so much that's a major problem for him against Federer, a couple of times he tried to unload on an off-forehand and Federer snapped his forehand back cross-court with twice as much power leaving Coria stranded. So yes, I guess I'm suddenly agreeing with you. ;)

Hey Sjengster, Rogi agreed with you about Coria being tired :

Q: Looking back on the matches this week, was the Coria match the one you took the most satisfaction from?

This week? Well, Berdych was nice, to get him back. I think especially also today. I mean, Coria was good, but I had the feeling today I was almost more... You see, Coria, without wanting to take anything away from what I did, but he played five sets in Rome, and he was tired, so that was maybe one of the reasons why he changed up his game. I think today was a tough match for me, just looking ahead mentally. It was a hard break, that loss in Monte Carlo against him. He gave me a sniff, and I still ended up losing, that was disappointing. I haven't lost to too many guys lately. You always want to beat the guys who beat you back. I'm happy I got the chance after already a few weeks to get him back.

So there we go, Nadal king of clay not here, the next king was tired and all the other expected tough opponents fell out earlier, Rogi was indeed lucky to defend this title here unchallenged I guess :shrug: ;)

Adman
05-16-2005, 01:10 PM
I remember a week ago, everyone talking about Roger's brutal draw. He just won the tournament without dropping a set. :)

That is one of the best stats this week.

Dirk
05-16-2005, 01:28 PM
He won IW without losing a set either.

mitalidas
05-16-2005, 02:07 PM
He won IW without losing a set either.

but that was a nicer draw. there are fewer hardcourt "specialists".
Hamburg's draw was not very nice upfront, but opened up nicer than could have been. Not as bad as last year's, though

silverwhite
05-16-2005, 05:36 PM
OK. Just watched the match. As Deivid said, Richard's returns were off, especially his backhand returns which he executed well in Monte-Carlo. However, Roger also served very smartly, pulling Richard way wide on many returns, making it difficult for him to come up with good returns.

The match per se didn't start very well but the quality improved as each set went by. Either player could have won the second and third sets but Federer as usual stepped up his game at the crucial moments to pick up both sets.

Another thing which was different from the Monte-Carlo match besides Federer serving better and Richard returning not so well was Federer's forehand. Other than some poor returns, the forehand was a hundred times better than it was in Monte-Carlo, and he used it to play some great forcing shots.