Tennis X: 5 Questions for Richard Gasquet [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Tennis X: 5 Questions for Richard Gasquet

Tennis Fool
05-15-2005, 03:43 AM
Posted on May 14, 2005

Richard Gasquet: Tennis-X 5 Questions

By Richard Vach, Senior Writer Tennis-X.com

Tennis-X sat down with talented French teen Richard Gasquet following his three-set win over Nicolas Massu this week at the Masters Series Hamburg. With his win on Saturday, Gasquet is set to take on Roger Federer in the final in Hamburg in the biggest match of his young career.

The gangly giant-killer touched on the wildcards he should perhaps be receiving, and dealing with the pressure of being "next" in French tennis.

Since Gasquet is still getting a grasp on his English, this interview was translated from French.

Tennis-X: Has your win over Roger Federer earlier during the claycourt season elevated your confidence level, or do you feel your confidence is the same?

Gasquet: Yeah it gave me a lot of confidence to beat the No. 1 player in the world, it means you should be able to beat everyone behind him, so it's given me confidence.

X: You've qualified for a number of tournaments already this year, does paying your dues like this help develop your game, as opposed to getting wildcards all the time?

Gasquet: It's true, I could have probably got a wildcard into Monte Carlo, and I probably deserved one, but you play the qualies and that meant I was ready when I started the main draw having three matches won.

X: When is a Davis Cup debut for France realistic?

Gasquet: It's impossible to tell, it's not in my hands. Hopefully I'll be selected the next time.

X: Federer made the comment about your pro debut years ago and the intense pressure you faced, is that pressure still as intense?

Gasquet: Of course you always have a lot of pressure, especially at home in France. There are high expectations in Monte Carlo and especially at Roland Garros, but it is good for French tennis to have high expectations, so it is alright.

X: How much support do you receive from the current top French players, and who are you particularly close to?

Gasquet: We're all very close, were all good friends. Of course being young I am closer to the players from my generation where I come from, players like (Gael) Monfils, but we are friendly with the other players and it is good.

In his 2002 rookie year a 16-year-old Gasquet stoked French expectations by becoming the youngest player to finish in the Top 200 on the ATP Rankings; winning a challenger, two futures titles, and becoming the youngest player to qualify for a Masters Series event at Monte Carlo. Entering 2005 the French teen had yet to crack the Top 75, but earlier this year shocked world No. 1 Roger Federer at Monte Carlo. Special thanks to the ATP's Simon Higson for translation assistance.

tennisgirl19
05-15-2005, 03:50 AM
Thanks for that :cool:

Allez Richard :inlove:

Daniela_CABJ
05-15-2005, 03:55 AM
thanks for the interview
:)

Billy Moonshine
05-15-2005, 04:19 AM
Thanks for the interview. Nice to learn more about Richard's feelings concerning his career :)

yomike
05-15-2005, 08:29 AM
FIRST POST: Richard is doing the right things. Kaya yan

Choupi
05-15-2005, 08:38 AM
Thanks for the interview. :)

allanah
05-15-2005, 09:27 AM
the "gangly" giantkiller? He looks kinda small to me on TV. Hope he does himself justice against Fed today. If Davis Cup teams are picked on current form then he definitely deserves to be in there

Astroferlondon
05-15-2005, 12:17 PM
I've heard that some people call him the anti-Nadal. Well , it's alleged that the French envy the success of Spain's tennis, especially when it comes to win Roland Garros ( how many times has a Spaniard won in the last 15 years , 5-6?)........... on the other hand I really congratulate Gasquet, I wish him a nice career , he seems to have great talent , as well as other French players.

I hope more of you share my opinions , isn't it much nicer to admire your neighbor for what it does well and if possible try to get to those standars than being bitter and critisize it without reason. :angel:

Well done , Richard Gasquet. :wavey: