Nadal, Coria, Federer and Gasquet - are these the guys to watch in Roland Garros? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Nadal, Coria, Federer and Gasquet - are these the guys to watch in Roland Garros?

Rogiman
05-14-2005, 02:17 PM
Partly populism, I admit - one guy (Nadal) has been beating to earth anything in his way, another (Coria) has been the usual suspect for 3 years now, then there's the one who is always expected to win (Federer) and the young flashy guy (Gasquet) who's lately caught many people's attention with spectacular tennis and clinical wins - so, what's the big deal? I've only been stating the obvious...!

Well, that's not really the way it is - they could all meet each other as soon as the quarters (or in Gasquet's case even earlier), and there's always the possibility of early elimination by an outsider (see Federer, Roger).

So, do you think these will be the big names in Roland Garros 2005?
Will the eventual winner essentially be one of them?

Discuss! :yeah:

vincayou
05-14-2005, 02:18 PM
I say YES!
But maybe not. :)

Action Jackson
05-14-2005, 02:18 PM
We have a thread for this already Rogiman.

Stating the obvious in many ways.

Chloe le Bopper
05-14-2005, 02:19 PM
It will be VERY interesting to see how Gasquet handles being French at RG.

Rogiman
We have a thread for this already Rogiman.

Here's another one :p

Corey Feldman
Yep those 4..
and Ferrero probably,
Safin 6th man.. (he'll turn his slump around sooner than later)

Action Jackson
05-14-2005, 02:21 PM
Here's another one :p

Ok, this one is specific and the other one is for the rest of them then. :)

vincayou
05-14-2005, 02:21 PM

He will handle interviews much better than the other 3 but Roger might be close.

Chloe le Bopper
05-14-2005, 02:23 PM
There can never be too many RG threads. And I say that seriously. It's the best slam, yo!

allanah
05-14-2005, 02:25 PM
I think that Moya, if fit, should make the last 8 and then after that, who knows? Ferrero is worth a punt too I reckon. Long-ish shot I know but if he can do it once...

aceit
I hope he handles it well.

Oh, and what a fantastic avatar you have!

Action Jackson
There can never be too many RG threads. And I say that seriously. It's the best slam, yo!

Alas this is true.

connectolove
05-14-2005, 02:26 PM
Vincayou, I say YES!
But maybe not. that is funny. I think the same, yes...but...maybe not.

Rogiman
05-14-2005, 02:26 PM

Funny, but this seems to be the convention here ;)

I only say 'funny' because those who don't really follow the game tend to think it's Wimbledon that catches most people's imagination, fans and players alike, personally I agree it's the most fascinating Slam and right now I'm excited like before no other Slam.

Action Jackson
05-14-2005, 02:29 PM

I only say 'funny' because those who don't really follow the game tend to think it's Wimbledon that catches most people's imagination, fans and players alike, personally I agree it's the most fascinating Slam and right now I'm excited like before no other Slam.

I am surprised you are in the spirit of clay.

Exodus
05-14-2005, 02:31 PM
Agassi beat Gasquet easy last week so you guys are really overrating him

Rogiman
05-14-2005, 02:31 PM
I am surprised you are in the spirit of clay.

Just because I contempt frequent breaks of serve doesn't mean I'm an Indoor Idiot :p

connectolove
05-14-2005, 02:33 PM
I believe Agassi is going to kill everyone. He let himself be defeated by Feli because he didn't want to work too hard before RG, but he has a surprise for us...

Rogiman
05-14-2005, 02:34 PM

I'll be looking forward to a rematch between the two at Roland Garros, and I hope Agassi comes with great appetite because he'll eat tons of clay :D

Please, Richard, don't make me eat my words again :o

vincayou
05-14-2005, 02:34 PM

If one defeat defines a player, where would be the guy in your avatar?

Exodus
05-14-2005, 02:35 PM
nah he won't be able to beat Federer that's for sure

Action Jackson
05-14-2005, 02:35 PM
Just because I contempt frequent breaks of serve doesn't mean I'm an Indoor Idiot :p

We have enough of those who don't get claycourt tennis.

silverwhite
05-14-2005, 02:36 PM

Hopefully, nothing like the way poor Momo does. :scared:

Exodus
05-14-2005, 02:37 PM
If one defeat defines a player, where would be the guy in your avatar?

Im not saying that Gasquet isn't good but i don't consider him to a contender for the RG title.

allanah
05-14-2005, 02:37 PM

Ok, don't shoot or anything but I'd say among tennis fans I know, the FO doesn't rank that highly among the Slams. Not saying we are represetative of all tennis society but what I struggle with is the fact that the Brits/americans/aussies struggle (or don't even turn up) on clay and that therefore wipes out a lot of people who are always genuine contenders in the slams. It almost seems a little "exclusive" in that way. Whereas just about anyone can play on the hard courts and more can handle grass than clay (unless your name is Marat Safin).

Action Jackson
05-14-2005, 02:39 PM
Ok, don't shoot or anything but I'd say among tennis fans I know, the FO doesn't rank that highly among the Slams. Not saying we are represetative of all tennis society but what I struggle with is the fact that the Brits/americans/aussies struggle (or don't even turn up) on clay and that therefore wipes out a lot of people who are always genuine contenders in the slams. It almost seems a little "exclusive" in that way. Whereas just about anyone can play on the hard courts and more can handle grass than clay (unless your name is Marat Safin).

Tennis is an international sport these days or hasn't that filtered down to some places.

You don't have a clue more players can handle clay than grass, it's always the very few who can win at Wimbledon and that is not the same with RG.

Billy Moonshine
05-14-2005, 02:40 PM
Though I think the 4 mentioned are the most talked about, and all merit their hype,I prefer Safin, Gaudio and Kuerten. Safin can lift his game and may turn out to be a man who saves his best for the slams. Gaudio is defending champ, and though he has dissapointed recently he will be inspired and play well. He could do it again IMO, he has proved himself as a great claycourter. As for Kuerten, well he is my all time fave so I am being biased. He is 28 now and I would love so much for him to win before he retires and I believe that if he is healthy he could do it. Personally i think he has more claycourt prowess and more style and flair on the surface than Nadal, federer, Coria, Gasquet, ferrero, Safin and Gaudio combined!!!I know this is an outrageous comment but I really love this man! :)

Rogiman
05-14-2005, 02:43 PM

Your opinion is as important as anyone's ;)

I was talking statistically, there was (not so long ago) a poll regarding people's favourite Slam and the French grabbed it all by a mile, so... ;)

The way I see it no player has proven he's really great until he had a decent run at the French (and yes, Sampras' SF is considered decent), that's why I'm so anxious for Roger to succeed there.

Great players are great everywhere - ask Lendl, Becker, Edberg, Agassi, Wilander and hopefully soon Federer :)

allanah
05-14-2005, 02:46 PM
Tennis is an international sport these days or hasn't that filtered down to some places.

You don't have a clue more players can handle clay than grass, it's always the very few who can win at Wimbledon and that is not the same with RG.
Yeah, GWH, that's why what I am expressing is a statement of opinion. Not one of fact. Is that not what we're sposed to do on here :confused:

It may not be statistically sound but if you look at the recent winners of the FO, you'll notice a pttern, in terms of where they're from. that's what i mean by exclusivity. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but I do confess i'll always be disappointed that the FO was the one GS Sampras couldn't crack.

Rogiman
05-14-2005, 02:46 PM
As for Kuerten, well he is my all time fave so I am being biased. He is 28 now and I would love so much for him to win before he retires and I believe that if he is healthy he could do it. Personally i think he has more claycourt prowess and more style and flair on the surface than Nadal, federer, Coria, Gasquet, ferrero, Safin and Gaudio combined!!!I know this is an outrageous comment but I really love this man! :)

We all love Guga and wish him well :kiss:

But putting the money on him is going for too long a shot IMO ;)

Action Jackson
05-14-2005, 02:50 PM
Yeah, GWH, that's why what I am expressing is a statement of opinion. Not one of fact. Is that not what we're sposed to do on here :confused:

It may not be statistically sound but if you look at the recent winners of the FO, you'll notice a pttern, in terms of where they're from. that's what i mean by exclusivity. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but I do confess i'll always be disappointed that the FO was the one GS Sampras couldn't crack.

Yes, it's an opinion but I get irritated that some in the English-language world haven't moved with the times and think that it's not an international sport and everyone loves Wimbledon it's changed.

So you are subjectively judging it from the winners instead of looking at the overall quality of the field. Goran is the only bolter in recent times to win Wimbledon, there is a greater chance of that RG as there are more players capable of winning there.

nermo
05-14-2005, 02:53 PM
There can never be too many RG threads. And I say that seriously. It's the best slam, yo! posted by Chloe

i agree :yeah: ...i find RG the most interesting GS .. :yeah:
( ll that do for changing your avatar??...Chloe ,its Awful.. :secret: :timebomb: )

well, i think these four are the most predicatable to reach big matches ..i think at least 3 of them ll reach semifinals..(wont tell who are they. :devil: .)
but we mustnot forget..Gaudio, Ferrero, Nalbandian,(Roddick..if there was a miracle)...Safin..(if he restored back his tennis memory)

tennischick
05-14-2005, 03:01 PM
i accept that this is how it is used to be but i don't believe that this is still the case. Henman and Rusedski are both playing clay, Hewitt is injured, and the Americans have all shown up in Europe. so i don't agree with your protrayal of clay as this "exclusive" club. furthermore, most tennis fans do take clay very seriously -- this is an archaic idea that serious tennis fans don't rank RG highly. but i can tell that you're living in the past bec you call it the FO when it has been RG for how many years now. and the truth is that more players avoid playing on grass than on any other surface. so i don't know if you're a very old idiot or a very young one -- but i don't think you have a clue what you are talking about.

Rogiman
05-14-2005, 03:08 PM
Chick, you've been too harsh ;)

She was specifically refering to tennis fans she knew, and said she wasn't representing the entire tennis community - no need to go 'idiot' on her :o

tennischick
05-14-2005, 03:14 PM
Chick, you've been too harsh ;)

She was specifically refering to tennis fans she knew, and said she wasn't representing the entire tennis community - no need to go 'idiot' on her :o
is it my fault she hangs out with 12 year olds? :o

Action Jackson
05-14-2005, 03:18 PM
TC, is right I have noticed ever since I moved to an English-speaking country that they always give RG the short sift and bemoan the fact that they don't move into volley, when it's not the right time to do so.

hitchhiker
05-14-2005, 03:28 PM
only guy to watch on a clay court is the judge as he is not involved in the actual "tennis"

tangerine_dream
05-14-2005, 03:47 PM
Clay snobs having their snitfits again. "My favorite players will never win Wimbledon therefore it sucks and isn't REAL tennis" :lol: Keep whining.

allanah
05-14-2005, 03:57 PM
Yes, it's an opinion but I get irritated that some in the English-language world haven't moved with the times and think that it's not an international sport and everyone loves Wimbledon it's changed.

So you are subjectively judging it from the winners instead of looking at the overall quality of the field. Goran is the only bolter in recent times to win Wimbledon, there is a greater chance of that RG as there are more players capable of winning there.

Fair enough. But your irritation is based on a whole lot of incorrect assumptions. I am not English, I'm african. And I don't know what you mean by "English languge world", but that isn't even my first (or my 2nd) language - it's the one i use on the fora because my own doesn't feature. I'm a grass girl, what can I say? :cool:

I admit to being subjective and I also suspect this will have to be another agree-to-disagree points. But then if we all thought exactly the same on every single point, I guess there wouldn't be much to discuss ;)

allanah
05-14-2005, 04:04 PM
;) Clay snobs having their snitfits again. "My favorite players will never win Wimbledon therefore it sucks and isn't REAL tennis" :lol: Keep whining.

Tangy - controversial! :D

Tennischick, that was a total waste of an insult. You have no idea who I am and i'm not sure what you hoped to achieve by calling me an "idiot" seeing as we have never had the pleasure of meeting.

your gripe about whether it's the FO or RG seems a tad pedantic and pointless. I know a girl who calls deuce "40 all". on the basis of what you've just said that would render you virtually apopleptic would it not? As rose by any other name.....and all that ;)

mitalidas
05-14-2005, 04:16 PM
Clay snobs having their snitfits again. "My favorite players will never win Wimbledon therefore it sucks and isn't REAL tennis" :lol: Keep whining.

i would have to agree on some parts with you
while i like the element of surprise winners on clay, I find the points.... far too long! there is a feeling that its a war of attrition

It is my impression (borne out by no evidence thatr I know) that there are fewer winners and more points won on the opponent's UE's.

Action Jackson
05-14-2005, 04:29 PM
i would have to agree on some parts with you
while i like the element of surprise winners on clay, I find the points.... far too long! there is a feeling that its a war of attrition

It is my impression (borne out by no evidence thatr I know) that there are fewer winners and more points won on the opponent's UE's.

Physical fitness shouldn't be part of professional sport, what not testing the ability to play their best tennis for a long time while having to use all shots, just hit a winner and let it be done.

You must be confused with the mid 80s where there was moonball up the centre of the court without an attempt to do anything different than with clay tennis today.

Action Jackson
05-14-2005, 04:33 PM
Fair enough. But your irritation is based on a whole lot of incorrect assumptions. I am not English, I'm african. And I don't know what you mean by "English languge world", but that isn't even my first (or my 2nd) language - it's the one i use on the fora because my own doesn't feature. I'm a grass girl, what can I say? :cool:

I admit to being subjective and I also suspect this will have to be another agree-to-disagree points. But then if we all thought exactly the same on every single point, I guess there wouldn't be much to discuss ;)

The English-language world is very obvious when it comes to this particular case the UK, US and Australia old powers in tennis, yes that assumption that you are from that world was wrong, but it still holds true about this attitude and as for you liking grass that is fine.

Sjengster
05-14-2005, 04:39 PM
only guy to watch on a clay court is the judge as he is not involved in the actual "tennis"

Surely the best post in the entire thread.

Action Jackson
05-14-2005, 04:40 PM

:worship:

Sjengster
05-14-2005, 04:43 PM

Just put in grass for clay and RG for Wimbledon and the exact same statement is true. Once again, it would be nice if people could enjoy and appreciate both types of tennis. Personally, I'm in the clay spirit at the moment because the tour is on clay; in the same way, I'll be in the grass spirit when the grass-court season is upon us. I must admit that the two months from May to July are my favourite in the tennis calendar; nine weeks of televised tennis, two Grand Slams on two completely different but equally enjoyable surfaces.

Action Jackson
05-14-2005, 04:43 PM
Surely the best post in the entire thread.

According to the lost member of the Australopithicus robustus species I am a clay snob who keeps whining that my favourite players won't win Wimbledon.

Interesting that there is a chance that I happen to be a fan of the winner in 03 and 04 and also Ivanisevic. Then again this intelligent lifeform said I hate hard hitting players but I am not sure what would Gonzalez, Safin, Calleri and Verkerk be classified as then?

silverwhite
05-14-2005, 04:45 PM
Just put in grass for clay and RG for Wimbledon and the exact same statement is true. Once again, it would be nice if people could enjoy and appreciate both types of tennis. Personally, I'm in the clay spirit at the moment because the tour is on clay; in the same way, I'll be in the grass spirit when the grass-court season is upon us. I must admit that the two months from May to July are my favourite in the tennis calendar; nine weeks of televised tennis, two Grand Slams on two completely different but equally enjoyable surfaces.

Definitely. :yeah: I've always enjoyed this time of the year, with so much tennis to watch, and after 2 months, we have 2 new GS winners. :)

And it's always fun, albeit saddistic, to see hard hitters struggle on clay (read: Sharapova) and claycourters struggle on grass while the other camp is showing their artistry on their favourite surface. ;)

Sjengster
05-14-2005, 04:46 PM
We know all about your prejudices George, you're only happy when the Weasel and the Frog are clawing each other to death on a clay court for five hours with tortuous defensive rallies.

Action Jackson
05-14-2005, 04:49 PM
We know all about your prejudices George, you're only happy when the Weasel and the Frog are clawing each other to death on a clay court for five hours with tortuous defensive rallies.

Weasel and the Kid actually using some angles as well and it had to be over 5 hours or it doesn't count.

Well the grass season will be here soon enough and all the people who don't have a clue about tennis on clay will be back in droves, especially with the webbed footed one having more success.

propi
05-14-2005, 04:53 PM
I'd add Ferrero and Gaudio, and as darkhorses Ferrer and Volandri :)

Sjengster
05-14-2005, 04:53 PM
I wonder if Neely will start a similar thread to the one she did last year about the grass season. And then there's always some more gems from hitchhiker to look forward to. Let's hope he's got more humble pie baked ready to eat at the end of the Wimbledon fortnight.

Action Jackson
05-14-2005, 04:55 PM
I'd add Ferrero and Gaudio, and as darkhorses Ferrer and Volandri :)

I just wish Volandri would improve his serve.

propi
05-14-2005, 04:58 PM
I just wish Volandri would improve his serve.
Sure but we've already seem weirder things :p
I'm thinking about adding Robredo... but that might be too much favoritism :p Plus I want him without preasure :p

tennischick
05-14-2005, 05:06 PM
;)
your gripe about whether it's the FO or RG seems a tad pedantic and pointless. I know a girl who calls deuce "40 all". on the basis of what you've just said that would render you virtually apopleptic would it not? As rose by any other name.....and all that ;)
40-all, deuce - same difference. that is not what we are talking about.

i am quite fed up of people bashing clay tennis and RG. if you don't like it shut to hell up until the hardcourt season. until then let the rest of us who enjoy it do so in peace.

now translate that into grass and you'll get my drift.

Action Jackson
05-14-2005, 05:09 PM
Sure but we've already seem weirder things :p
I'm thinking about adding Robredo... but that might be too much favoritism :p Plus I want him without preasure :p

That we have. I think Monaco is a better darkhorse rhan Robredo, not to win, but to cause some damage.

Puerta could be a fun 1st round opponent as well.

Auscon
05-14-2005, 05:10 PM
Yeah, I'd probably watch them

mitalidas
05-14-2005, 05:11 PM
Physical fitness shouldn't be part of professional sport, what not testing the ability to play their best tennis for a long time while having to use all shots, just hit a winner and let it be done.

You must be confused with the mid 80s where there was moonball up the centre of the court without an attempt to do anything different than with clay tennis today.
No, I don't like the roddick style tennis where it is 90% about a hard serve and it is over, either
At the top level of claycourt tennis, there is oftentimes great tennis. But I have not enjoyed a great many earlier round claycourt play where there is so much grinding, fewer tactics, and often just more patience for the opponent's UE. Some hardcourt and grass court games are like this as well but my impression is that this is much more characteristic of claycourt games

There are other tourneys (grass included) where there is a test of stamina, but it is just a personal taste that clay for me is a tad slower than I like

euroka1
05-14-2005, 05:12 PM
Yes, insofar as ESPN permits.

mitalidas
05-14-2005, 05:14 PM
which one is the frog?

Sjengster
05-14-2005, 05:15 PM
Ferrer.

tennischick
05-14-2005, 05:16 PM
There are other tourneys (grass included) where there is a test of stamina, but it is just a personal taste that clay for me is a tad slower than I like
i have no problem with a statemet of personal taste. if you don't like clay tennis, that's cool. what irks me is when that is generalized to "tennis fans" thereby negating the millions of us that love clay tennis. the truth is that i love all tennis, regardless of surface. but there are millions of us who happen to especially appreciate the creativity required to play tennis on clay. and the awesomeness of any player who masters ALL the surfaces (or at least tries to).

Action Jackson
05-14-2005, 05:19 PM

Are you trying to tell me grass is a test of stamina compared to clay don't make me laugh. Points are shorter on grass and it's much easier to hold and there are few ways consistently required to win a point. Ask the vast majority of top players which is the most difficult Slam to win for the endurance factor and the majority will answer RG irrespective of surface preference.

At the top level of claycourt tennis, there is oftentimes great tennis. But I have not enjoyed a great many earlier round claycourt play where there is so much grinding, fewer tactics, and often just more patience for the opponent's UE. Some hardcourt and grass court games are like this as well but my impression is that this is much more characteristic of claycourt games

As for fewer tactics what slam down a huge serve is tactical and going for winners all the time is necessarily great tennis. There is a patience factor in claycourt tennis, got to adapt to the situations, agree to disagree and move onto the grasscourt season.

The servefest tiebreakers will be around soon enough, if you think that is interesting that is your call.

mitalidas
05-14-2005, 05:25 PM
Are you trying to tell me grass is a test of stamina compared to clay don't make me laugh. Points are shorter on grass and it's much easier to hold and there are few ways consistently required to win a point. Ask the vast majority of top players which is the most difficult Slam to win for the endurance factor and the majority will answer RG irrespective of surface preference.
No -- but that there are grasscourt tennis games when stamina sometimes does become an issue. Surely not like a claycourt game, but on occasion. No one is deluded about the fact that claycourt tennis is the ultimate test of stamina
but none of these players can be out of conditioning and win a 5-setter at any of the slams either

As for fewer tactics what slam down a huge serve is tactical and going for winners all the time is necessarily great tennis. There is a patience factor in claycourt tennis, got to adapt to the situations, agree to disagree and move onto the grasscourt season.
The servefest tiebreakers will be around soon enough, if you think that is interesting that is your call.

I think my first statement spoke to this --I mentioned that games played by roddick, where 90% of this are over in one stroke, are uninteresting
But there is a middle ground for me -- not as slow as clay and probably not as fast as in the 2nd week of W

One can call it patience on clay, or slowness on clay. Whatever it is, it is appealing to some and less to others

Sjengster
05-14-2005, 05:31 PM
The big problem with clay and grass, being such contrasting surfaces, is that detractors of one or the other are likely to exaggerate its worst or most cliched feature and suggest that is the rule for every match played on it. Thus clay is too dull because it's filled with endless grinding topspin rallies where no one can hit a winner, and grass is dull because it's nothing but a succession of big serves and cheap winners point after point that doesn't allow for strategy and variety. Both criticisms are generalisations, and one can find aggressive tennis on clay and long rallies on grass, you just have to be willing to appreciate it. As far as I'm concerned, the fact that both surfaces play host to Grand Slams makes them of equal value. All this prestige rubbish is pointless; no Slam is better than any other, no Slam is worse than any other.

Action Jackson
05-14-2005, 05:32 PM
No -- but that there are grasscourt tennis games when stamina sometimes does become an issue. Surely not like a claycourt game, but on occasion. No one is deluded about the fact that claycourt tennis is the ultimate test of stamina
but none of these players can be out of conditioning and win a 5-setter at any of the slams either

Considering that the surface is slower, the rallies on average go longer and the fact that serve is broken more often on the average and they have to fight harder for the points on the surface, how isn't it and if not what is a tougher test then?

If you don't think it's the ultimate test well you mustn't remember the Albert Costa title defence in 2003, there were plenty of rugged and brutal 5 setters and he came through and made the semis and had nothing left and that was the same for Sampras to a lesser extent.

One can call it patience on clay, or slowness on clay. Whatever it is, it is appealing to some and less to others

It's called difference.

Action Jackson
05-14-2005, 05:35 PM
As far as I'm concerned, the fact that both surfaces play host to Grand Slams makes them of equal value. All this prestige rubbish is pointless; no Slam is better than any other, no Slam is worse than any other.

That is the point of course they are Slams and what it's about irrespective of personal tastes, they have the same amount of points and being a Slam winner isn't for everyone and those that win deserve it.

Golfnduck
05-14-2005, 05:36 PM
Gasquet has been a major surprise to me. I think he could go far at Roland Garros, but I don't know if he could win it this year. Nadal could win it if he's healthy. Roger could win it, but I think he'll make the quarters. Coria is always sharp at RG and I think he'll be looking forward to redeem himself after last years final.
My predicition for this years "dark horse": Juan Carlos Ferrero

mitalidas
05-14-2005, 05:43 PM
Considering that the surface is slower, the rallies on average go longer and the fact that serve is broken more often on the average and they have to fight harder for the points on the surface, how isn't it and if not what is a tougher test then?
That is precisely what I said
I said "
No one is deluded about the fact that claycourt tennis is the ultimate test of stamina"

That alone is not enough for every follower of tennis to think it is the most interesting to watch. There is no accounting for personal tastes. Why, on this forum alone, incredibly, there are roddick supporters! That is personal taste, or lack of taste or a difference of opinion

tennischick
05-14-2005, 05:48 PM
..As far as I'm concerned, the fact that both surfaces play host to Grand Slams makes them of equal value. All this prestige rubbish is pointless; no Slam is better than any other, no Slam is worse than any other.
hear! hear! well said. and i agree. :worship:

Jennay
05-14-2005, 06:08 PM
Indeed it is! Roland Garros. :rocker2:

nermo
05-14-2005, 06:36 PM
which one is the frog? posted by Mitalidas

well, i know Coria has the title of a weasel on this board, so the frog must be.......( ;) :devil: )...

Nadal

Nacho
05-14-2005, 07:16 PM
I think the big problem for Gasquet is that he'll have to play best of 5 matches, and we all know how tired he can get during long matches.

Anyways, tomorrow we'll see whether he can handle long matches or not

Nacho
05-14-2005, 07:17 PM
ferrer is called the frog by some ppl in this forum, a nickname I don't agree with anyways

Sjengster
05-14-2005, 07:19 PM
I first coined the phrase, it has nothing to do with his tennis abilities and everything to do with his appearance. Not that I dislike him because of his looks, I just don't find his game very interesting.

Nacho
05-14-2005, 07:22 PM
I have just checked Richard's activity and I'm surprised he's yet to win a GS match (he is 0-6)

Definitely 5 set matches are real tests for the french boy

nermo
05-14-2005, 09:00 PM
ferrer is called the frog by some ppl in this forum, a nickname I don't agree with anyways posted by Nacho

oh really??why is he called that??

Nastase
05-14-2005, 09:11 PM
For me the two more important names in RG will be R.Nadal and R.Federer, Gasquet and Coria are also players to consider but I don't think Richard can handle the pression of play in his country and Coria has lost very recently his duels against Nadal and Federer.

allanah
05-14-2005, 09:32 PM
For me the two more important names in RG will be R.Nadal and R.Federer, Gasquet and Coria are also players to consider but I don't think Richard can handle the pression of play in his country and Coria has lost very recently his duels against Nadal and Federer.

The most recent loss to Nadal was by such a tiny margin, I don't think it proves anything decisively. An on-form Coria would be my pick to win it. He will know this is his best (realistic) chance of winning a slam this year and I'd think he's want to avenge last year's debacle v Gaudio. I still don't get if he was injured or if he just fell apart mentally.

NYCtennisfan
05-14-2005, 09:52 PM
I do think that the Australian Open has less prestige than the others simply because it has become a major event in the past 20 years or so. So many players used to skip the tourny, there used to be best out of 3 set matches, there used to be byes, the time of the tourny changed, etc. etc. I love the Aussie Open personally and hope to attend it in person some day, but I think it does come up a little short when compared to the other slams historically speaking.

oneandonlyhsn
05-15-2005, 03:19 AM
I do think that the Australian Open has less prestige than the others simply because it has become a major event in the past 20 years or so. So many players used to skip the tourny, there used to be best out of 3 set matches, there used to be byes, the time of the tourny changed, etc. etc. I love the Aussie Open personally and hope to attend it in person some day, but I think it does come up a little short when compared to the other slams historically speaking.

Yeah but its becoming very popular amongst players and announcers, they seem to like the atmosphere. Was it McEnroe who said that the US Open is hosted in a bigger city but AO has bigger heart.

Anyhoo, my favourite slam by far is Wimbledon. I like grass, I love the points and the winners produced. Having said that an in form Roger is very hard to beat on grass, so if all goes well (prays to God Roger is in form for Wimbledon), he is the clear favourite. However, this year I am more intrigued by RG because of the fact that its so open.

My favourite 4
Nadal (I think is the man to beat)
Ferero (He is quickly regaining form and I think he has a lot to proove)
Federer (He is showing great potential on clay, plus I think he is really inspired by the challenge. We all know how Rogi plays when he is inspired)
Gaudio (My hero, I think he will save his best for RG, atleast I hope so)

I dont know about Gasqeut, I would love for him to do well but the pressure of playing at home and there are all best of 5 sets. Unfortunately I dont think he will last long. Coria, I just dont know, he may surprise me but I think he will be out early, he isnt as sharp as he was. Marat if he can overcome his oafness he might be a serious contender.

NYCtennisfan
05-15-2005, 04:27 AM
Yeah but its becoming very popular amongst players and announcers, they seem to like the atmosphere.

I think the players like playing there now but this hasn't always been the case. I think afteranother 10 years or so, people will forget that the the AO draw only had 64 in the past or there were byes and best of 3 setters, etc.

rub
05-15-2005, 12:35 PM
who else?! :dance: