TMS Hamburg Final: Federer VS Gasquet [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

TMS Hamburg Final: Federer VS Gasquet

Billabong
05-14-2005, 02:41 PM
A TMS Monte Carlo QF rematch:eek:! Your thoughts:)
GOOOOO FEDDDDDDDD:banana:!!!!!!!!!

richard gasquet
05-14-2005, 02:43 PM
My Man richard is on fire so a BIG BIG Match to come tomorrow :)

Allez Richard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Exodus
05-14-2005, 02:43 PM
go Fed and kick his ass for beating you last time

NATAS81
05-14-2005, 02:44 PM
8 games allowed in last 3 matches combined!!!

ALLEZ RICHARD! :bounce:

connectolove
05-14-2005, 02:44 PM
Feds revenche: no doubt Fed will defeat Gas...

Deboogle!.
05-14-2005, 02:45 PM
Richard's playing amazingly, but it's hard to believe that Roger won't want revenge, and the best-of-5 format really really favors him.

Fergie
Rogi will take revenge of MC ... Hopp Rogi!!! :bigclap:

NATAS81
It's gonna be tough but RICHARD can beat Federer back-to-back, first guy to do it in a looooooong time!!!!

OH CANADA, WE STAND ON GAURD FOR THEE!!

Nacho
05-14-2005, 02:47 PM
wow these 2 are developing an interesting rivalry on claycourts

can't wait for this years french open :D

Truc
05-14-2005, 02:50 PM
I really want Richard to win tomorrow, but he looked tired today, in a 5-set match I don't think he can win.

Stevens Point
05-14-2005, 02:52 PM
Defending champ with a hot streak of winning finals vs the last man to beat Roger,,, What a way to be the final of this tournament!!

Go, Roger!!!

Billabong
I really want Richard to win tomorrow, but he looked tired today, in a 5-set match I don't think he can win.

Really:eek:?? Strange, because he lost 8 games in his last 3 matches, he must have a lot of time to rest, no;)?

C3PO
Richard didn't play good today, too many UE .. I think Federer will win, but there is still a chance for Richie if he's on fire ;) .

oneandonlyhsn
05-14-2005, 02:53 PM
Allez Fed :yeah: , its revenge time tomorrow. I love it when Roger is inspired to play. Should be a great match.
On any other day Gasqy I'd support you but not tomorrow :hug: .

Rogiman
Out of the freaky way the draw has unfolded we get a dream final! :banana:

Each of the two will be a deserved winner, and will do many more great things in his career.

bad gambler
if this was best of 3, richie has a great chance

over 5, bit raw

Billabong
05-14-2005, 02:55 PM
I have to say the 6-1, 6-1 score doesn't exactly tell the story... Rochus didn't play well, but Richard was still dominating, even though a lot of games went to deuce, break point and were tight... Gasquet was able to win the important points, but I think it was tougher than the score suggests!

fedsfan1
05-14-2005, 02:55 PM
VAMOS ROGER!!!!

Get your revenge & serve it up sweet!!!!!!

cheers :cool:

adelaide
05-14-2005, 02:56 PM
OH CANADA, WE STAND ON GAURD FOR THEE!!
how random. haha

I don't think Richie can do it again, but I'll be cheering on.

Truc
05-14-2005, 02:59 PM
Strange, because he lost 8 games in his last 3 matches, he must have a lot of time to rest, no;)?
I found it surprising too, but he really looked tired to me. He was moving his legs like they felt very heavy. Or is he injured?
Since there is no hope he can crush Federer in 3 straight sets, I don't think he can win tomorrow.

Cervantes
05-14-2005, 03:00 PM
Roger all the way, 3 sets probably.

This is gonna be a great test for RG and there's a possibility these two will face each other again in the 3rd round at the French. Excited already :yeah:

Iza
05-14-2005, 03:00 PM
Wow..what a way to end a AMS :yeah: veeeerry nice! I think Rogi will win because he wants to defend his title and take revenge on Richie cos of the Monte Carlo defeat. And as Deb said, the 3 outta 5 gives him a huuuuuge advantage.
But I hope Richie will win :woohoo: Allez Richie, win your 1st title here! Wow, what a way to start the list of tournaments won: an AMS.

Art&Soul
05-14-2005, 03:04 PM
Alezz Hopp ROGER ;) I like this kid but I LOVE YOU more :D A revenge iwill be so sweet and hopefully you can do it again like you did with Tomas :) GOOOOOOOO NINJA :angel:

Action Jackson
05-14-2005, 03:05 PM
Roger should win this.

tennisgirl19
05-14-2005, 03:06 PM
Go Richard ::bounce:

Even though I am rooting for Richard to win I am going to be realistic. I think Roger will the match because its a) three out of five and b) he wants revenge. However, that being said my heart is all for Richard to win his 1st title. Whatever happens tomorrow I am going to be proud of him (Even if he looses 6-0, 6-0, 6-0)

Richard :bowdown:

uNIVERSE mAN
05-14-2005, 03:07 PM
Roger cannot be defeated in a final, take that to the bank. I'll say I told you so tomorrow morning.

aceit
05-14-2005, 03:08 PM
Allez Richard! :bounce:

Clara Bow
05-14-2005, 03:08 PM
Excited about this final! I imagine Roger is biting at the bit for a rematch.

Puschkin
05-14-2005, 03:10 PM
We have a saying which roughly translates into: you don't swim in the same river twice.

I think Roger has seen enough of Gasquet to follow this saying ;)

Neely
05-14-2005, 03:10 PM
Gasquet please, but then again this is unlikely to happen. I think more Federer will take the match this time in a rather easy shootout, something like 6-4 6-3 6-1. But I wouldn't mind at all to be wrong.

Scotso
05-14-2005, 03:12 PM
Allez Richard! :D

richard gasquet
05-14-2005, 03:14 PM
It will be a great day for richard tomorrow, a finale in a Master serie against the world n°1, he has nothing to lose, federer defend his title, the fact that its a 5 sets match is difficult for sure but he can handle with tiredness or another pressure I think.Its a finale and everything can happen in a finale. :)

so Allez!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dylan24
05-14-2005, 03:15 PM
roger gets his revenge.
fed ex in 3

vincayou
Federer because he does not lose in a final. Try and take him a set at least Richie!

Exodus
Federer will win this easy don't even consider that kid to have a chance

avocadoe
05-14-2005, 03:16 PM
well good luck to both, but my heart and feeling is Roger in 3 or 4 :)

connectolove
05-14-2005, 03:18 PM
Roger Federer will be the winner tomorrow.

silverwhite
05-14-2005, 03:19 PM
Go Richard ::bounce:

Even though I am rooting for Richard to win I am going to be realistic. I think Roger will the match because its a) three out of five and b) he wants revenge. However, that being said my heart is all for Richard to win his 1st title. Whatever happens tomorrow I am going to be proud of him (Even if he looses 6-0, 6-0, 6-0)

Richard :bowdown:

I'm afraid I have to agree with a) and b). There is also c) Roger knows how to play him this time, d) Richard will feel the pressure of being in a final, e) Richard will feel the pressure to beat him a second time and f) Richard is really up and down and might not play his best tennis (a la today's match against Rochus).

I'm pessimistic, I know. :lol: I think Roger will win easily in straight sets. Still, I'm proud of Richard for making it this far and will be cheering for him, and hopefully, he will give us a good match. :D

WyveN
05-14-2005, 03:20 PM
I think Gasquet has a better chance then Coria did a few days ago purely because of the match up in styles, of course it will be hard for Richard to keep up the required level in a best of 5 set match but will be interesting to see what happens.

Marine
05-14-2005, 03:21 PM
Richard's playing amazingly, but it's hard to believe that Roger won't want revenge, and the best-of-5 format really really favors him.

I agree. Moreover, Richard is like all the french players, never at his top in the important matches against big players. He improves, but I don't think it will be enough to beat the number one tomorrow in final of a masters series.
I rather see him losing without playing well (like vs Agassi in Roma).
Sorry for being so pessimistic, but I know by heart my compatriots: able to make a good exploit, but rarely able to confirm after...

I love both finalists, but I'd like to be wrong tomorrow !!
Please Richard, prove me the contrary !!!

Billy Moonshine
05-14-2005, 03:31 PM
I would love Gasq to win but I think Roger is going to want to win really badly and will beat him in ss, something like 7/6 6/2 7/6.
However if Gasq wins it will be a tough, long match, like 3/6 7/6 5/7 6/3 7/5
Great experience for Gasq before Rg, big match, against world number one.
Good luck Richard!!!!!!

vincayou
05-14-2005, 03:31 PM
Moreover, Richard is like all the french players, never at his top in the important matches against big players.

The guy is 18. He hasn't played much against big players. We need more data to know that. Two weeks after having defeated Fed, he's in a final of a masters series. It's already a confirmation whatever happens tomorrow. Enjoy it!

silverwhite
05-14-2005, 03:32 PM
I agree. Moreover, Richard is like all the french players, never at his top in the important matches against big players. He improves, but I don't think it will be enough to beat the number one tomorrow in final of a masters series.
Sorry for being so pessimistic, but I know by heart my compatriots: able to make a good exploit, but rarely able to confirm after...

I have company. :lol:

mitalidas
05-14-2005, 03:36 PM
Its been a long long time since a player has defeated Roger two times in a row
Hopefully Gasquet doesn't break this streak

Choupi
05-14-2005, 03:46 PM

I just hope you'll be proven wrong Marine. :)

Marine
05-14-2005, 03:51 PM
I hope too, Choupi, I was just lucide. ;)

Question about the Hamburg website: will they put finally Richard's press conference online if he wins tomorrow ??? :rolleyes:
I know he doesn't speak english, but Nadal and Coria neither... so I wait for...

Rogiman
05-14-2005, 03:57 PM
Seb, add a poll, now! :mad:

;)

Action Jackson
05-14-2005, 04:01 PM
I hope too, Choupi, I was just lucide. ;)

Question about the Hamburg website: will they put finally Richard's press conference online if he wins tomorrow ??? :rolleyes:
I know he doesn't speak english, but Nadal and Coria neither... so I wait for...

Actually Gasquet does speak English and so does Nadal for that matter.

Marine
05-14-2005, 04:03 PM

He does ?? So he improved a lot for the last year...he didn't know how to say "I feel good in Miami" :lol:

Action Jackson
05-14-2005, 04:05 PM
He does ?? So he improved a lot for the last year...he wdidn't know how to say "I feel good in Miami" :lol:

I remember they asked Nadal do you know Gasquet and he said I can't talk to him my English is not good enough. Nadal is very good considering he hardly spoke it a year ago and Gasquet well we'll see tomorrow at the after match speeches.

Choupi
05-14-2005, 04:06 PM
Marine was hinting at the fact that Richard has always expressed himself in French in Hamburg. And that it may be a reason why his press conferences have hardly been transcripted for the site. I've never heard him speak in English. That would be great though, because I already love his French southern accent, I can only imagine what it can be in English... :p

Action Jackson
05-14-2005, 04:06 PM
He does ?? So he improved a lot for the last year...he didn't know how to say "I feel good in Miami" :lol:

Normally with these transcripts they would say used with translator this one doesn't.

http://www.asapsports.com/tennis/2002usopen/090802RG.html

Marine
05-14-2005, 04:13 PM
I think it's great to see some players still are resistant to speak english in press conference, journalists have to use translators, it's not a bad thing, the players can be more talkative and precise in their comments.
I notice it's latin players who use to do that...(french, spaniards, argentinians...) lol
Elsewhere Sweden, Germany etc...the players speak english fluently at 16'... :rolleyes:

nermo
05-14-2005, 04:13 PM
Bravo Federer.. :D :yeah:
Good job Gasquet..time to pay back

Action Jackson
05-14-2005, 04:14 PM
Well it depends on a few things, some can and others can't speak English. It depends on the perspective and English is the international language, but if they want to use translators that is fine.

oneandonlyhsn
05-14-2005, 04:15 PM
Good luck Roger, not only will he be inspired tomorrow, he also has a lot to proove to himself and other players for RG. Having said that so does Gasqy, he was the last guy to beat Roger and he is so close to a title. Should be a very good match, I hope.

oneandonlyhsn
05-14-2005, 04:18 PM
I think it's great to see some players still are resistant to speak english in press conference, journalists have to use translators, it's not a bad thing, the players can be more talkative and precise in their comments.
I notice it's latin players who use to do that...(french, spaniards, argentinians...) lol
Elsewhere Sweden, Germany etc...the players speak english fluently at 16'... :rolleyes:

I think its a good thing when players speak multiple languages. It shows they have an interest in reaching a vast number of people. Plus it doesnt hurt when you can converse easily in different places without making fans or reporters pull out a translator.
Glad to see Nadal picking up his English, smart kid.

suomi
05-14-2005, 04:22 PM
Great! :woohoo: I'm so happy for Richard!! Being in final is very good!! He can win and I really hope he will do it!!:yeah:
ALLEZ RICHARD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bigclap:

PaulieM
05-14-2005, 04:25 PM
there's only one man for me..... ROGER!!!! Good Luck, you can do it :hug:

Choupi
05-14-2005, 04:39 PM
I think its a good thing when players speak multiple languages. It shows they have an interest in reaching a vast number of people. Plus it doesnt hurt when you can converse easily in different places without making fans or reporters pull out a translator.

I agree. That's a good thing when players can speak other languages than their own mother tongue. But journalists should also put themselves on the level of the sportsmen they're interviewing. And taking it for granted that all players will speak English is desillusional. I know some who can speak English fluently and who won't accept to make conferences in English. Simply because journalists have to earn their life, doing the job they're paid for. I think it's a matter of give and take.

Marine
05-14-2005, 04:47 PM
Our french interviwer, Nelson Monfort, speaks serveral languages it's good, for exemple the spanish speaking players are glad to speak him in spanish.

Choupi
05-14-2005, 05:12 PM
Our french interviwer, Nelson Monfort, speaks serveral languages it's good, for exemple the spanish speaking players are glad to speak him in spanish.
And I guess that is precisely why he's so appreciated among players and why so few refuse to answer his questions! :)

Auscon
05-14-2005, 05:33 PM
Roger will be nervous, which should cause him to give up a set, but I dont think he'll be the one giving up 2

Marine
05-14-2005, 05:37 PM
Roger will be nervous, which should cause him to give up a set, but I dont think he'll be the one giving up 2

Roger, nervous ?? Against Richard ?? LOL

Choupi
05-14-2005, 05:49 PM
Roger, nervous ?? Against Richard ?? LOL
Marine, Roger is World N° 1 but he's not a machine. He can feel nervous. Especially in front of a young player who has defeated him not that long ago. But he's a champion and he'll know how to cope with it. :)

Marine
05-14-2005, 05:51 PM
Marine, Roger is World N° 1 but he's not a machine. He can feel nervous. Especially in front of a young player who has defeated him not that long ago. But he's a champion and he'll know how to cope with it. :)

(j'ai tendance à croire que c'est un mal bien français, désolée choupi... :o )

silverwhite
05-14-2005, 05:56 PM
(j'ai tendance à croire que c'est un mal bien français, désolée choupi... :o )

:lol: Mais il y a des autres comme Clijsters et Schuettler, n'est-ce pas? ;)

Choupi
05-14-2005, 05:58 PM
:lol: Mais il y a des autres comme Clijsters et Schuettler, n'est-ce pas? ;)
There definitely are others, yes! :D

Aleksa's Laydee
05-14-2005, 06:37 PM
ALLEZ RICHARD!!! :rocker2:

nkhera1
05-14-2005, 09:17 PM
Can anyone describe Richard Gasquet's games such as his forehand, backhand, movement, serve, etc. Can he play on all surfaces or primarily clay. I know he has take a while to develop but I've heard he was a great talent.

Sjengster
05-14-2005, 09:22 PM
A flashy shotmaker, easily at his best on clay where his flowing groundstrokes have their strongest impact and he moves most comfortably. Has an improved serve that gains him several cheap points a match, hits well off both sides but the backhand is the major weapon, he can create short angles with it and whip it either cross-court or down the line with terrific racquethead speed and topspin. He can also move in to finish points off at the net, though that's probably something that can improve. The sudden explosiveness of his game is reminiscent of a lot of other French players, e.g. Grosjean when he was at his best.

Tennis Fool
05-14-2005, 10:14 PM
This time Roger will know what to expect. Roger in straights.

Nastase
05-14-2005, 10:26 PM
The most desirable final we could get. Good luck for Richard Gasquet! Alleeeeeeez!

mitalidas
05-14-2005, 10:28 PM

well said
Roger has lost to others, when playing them for the first time. But it has been a long, long time since a player has beaten him two times in a row. He learned about Richard's play the last time, and will know to keep away from his strong(er) side
Allez Fed!

Irish
05-14-2005, 11:25 PM
Winnnnnnnnnn Roger!!!!!!!!!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

KoOlMaNsEaN
05-15-2005, 12:26 AM
GO ROGER! Win Hamburg for a third time :D

euroka1
05-15-2005, 12:33 AM
well said
Roger has lost to others, when playing them for the first time. But it has been a long, long time since a player has beaten him two times in a row. He learned about Richard's play the last time, and will know to keep away from his strong(er) side
Allez Fed!

A lot to be said for this. It's a major Federer strength. He learns all the time and from every encounter. And it's why his matches are so fascinating to watch. In contrast, Roddick is a very slow learner and a slow thinker on court. Until now has has depended on his slam/bang game. But it doesn't work on clay and people are learning how to deal with it.

Should be a great match tomorrow.

GermanBoy
05-15-2005, 12:59 AM
Allez Richard! :devil:

lizabeth..*
05-15-2005, 12:59 AM
Allez Richie!

A set or two would be nice! :)

WyveN
05-15-2005, 01:10 AM

Thats what everyone said before the Miami final as well but things didnt turn out as expected.
If Gasquet is not overwhelmed in his first major final then Federer will need close to his best tennis to beat him.

robinhood
05-15-2005, 03:05 AM
Burn his arse, Roja!!! :fiery: :fiery: :fiery:

Roger-No.1
05-15-2005, 02:45 PM
roger gets his revenge.
fed ex in 3

You were right dylan.

best of 3 or best of 5 final, Rogi is the best

Daniel
05-16-2005, 01:01 AM
Federer won :banana:

tennischick
05-16-2005, 01:03 AM
the match is about to start for those who get the TTC.

Tennis Fool
05-16-2005, 02:45 AM
Thats what everyone said before the Miami final as well but things didnt turn out as expected.
If Gasquet is not overwhelmed in his first major final then Federer will need close to his best tennis to beat him.
Come again? ;)

WyveN
05-16-2005, 03:33 AM
Come again? ;)

Well in the end they both played rather poorly, Federer made a lot of unforced errors and Gasquet couldnt capitalise at all on the key points.

Tennis Fool
05-16-2005, 03:54 AM
Well in the end they both played rather poorly, Federer made a lot of unforced errors and Gasquet couldnt capitalise at all on the key points.
Come again ;) ;)

[Hey, it's okay to say TF, you were right. I was wrong. My bad]. :P

tennischick
05-16-2005, 05:43 AM
perfect match summary. neither player was really impressive. Gasquet clearly has not recovered from beating Rogi before, and Rogi's foot is a mess. :sad:

Daniel
05-16-2005, 06:08 AM
perfect match summary. neither player was really impressive. Gasquet clearly has not recovered from beating Rogi before, and Rogi's foot is a mess. :sad:

sounds really bad but he said it looks worse than it is. :( :sad: