Wimbledon - You idiots - Ticket disaster [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Wimbledon - You idiots - Ticket disaster

joeb_uk
05-14-2005, 11:07 AM
Ok, so i just got my wimbledon ticket form back from the post (and it says due to people selling their tickets, they arent sending them through!!). I have to pick my tickets up the morning of play at gate 4 (it says they are picking random people to do this). This is absolutely pathetic, i dont want to have to queue up for ages to get my tickets when i have already payed for them. My mum is gonna ring up and complain about this lol (because the tickets are in her name). It also says you need passport/drivers license proof of id for the persons name who applied, my mum isnt going (its just me and my dad :eek:).

Action Jackson
05-14-2005, 11:13 AM
Another reason not to like Wimbledon.

joeb_uk
05-14-2005, 11:14 AM
They wont be too happy when my mum rings up and gives them some shit :eek:

Ferrero Forever
05-14-2005, 11:15 AM
what? thats ridiculous. I like the australian open "go to the ticket seller and get it on the day before you go" method better

joeb_uk
05-14-2005, 11:17 AM
To be honest i dont know how long this will take (and how many people they are checking, i suspect it isnt random people!). I am gonna ring up and ask what time i can queue for the tickets and how long it should take (and if they say 11am, i am gonna say that isnt good enough! i am paying 65£ each for the tickets, and i am gonna miss play because of their inability to stop their tickets being sold).

Action Jackson
05-14-2005, 11:18 AM
The Aus Open have very good prices and as JL said it's very easy to get tickets.

They release their centre court tickets on the net at a certain time and you can buy them then and as for Ground Passes you can get them on the day.

joeb_uk
05-14-2005, 11:19 AM
The Aus Open have very good prices and as JL said it's very easy to get tickets.

They release their centre court tickets on the net at a certain time and you can buy them then and as for Ground Passes you can get them on the day.
Wimbledon has the most fucked up way of getting tickets of any tournament in the world! and now its even worse, those who do get tickets from the ballot (are now even having to queue lmao)

Action Jackson
05-14-2005, 11:21 AM
Wimbledon has the most fucked up way of getting tickets of any tournament in the world! and now its even worse, those who do get tickets from the ballot (are now even having to queue lmao)

Well I have an allergy to grass and the time I got a Wimbledon ticket it was because someone I knew had one left over, they are not going to get rid of touting.

I remember the whole charade they had before the Olympics with ticket sales and the like beforehand, then it came to the time and they weren't as conscious about it as they were beforehand.

joeb_uk
05-14-2005, 11:26 AM
i was gonna sell my tickets though, so i am glad i didnt put them on ebay!! some people have already sold them on ebay (they are gonna be in big trouble now :()

joeb_uk
05-14-2005, 11:35 AM
Now i am looking at all the restrictions, wimbledon are stuck up their own arse. The rules/restrictions are pathetic.

joeb_uk
05-14-2005, 11:39 AM
It seems i wont be allowed to take my camera bag into the ground:
14W x 13D x 20H in (may bag)
and the restriction is 12 * 12 * * 18

i bet my 300mm lens isnt even allowed into the grounds either :( trouble is, i have to take such a big bag to fit my lens in

Action Jackson
05-14-2005, 11:40 AM
You'll get it in.

Ferrero Forever
05-14-2005, 11:49 AM
theres always a way to sneak camera's in. the bag checkers never notice.

joeb_uk
05-14-2005, 11:49 AM
i do hope so george, because i am considering not taking my bag (because if i am refused entry, i cant put the bag anywhere!). I am gonna ring up and ask anyway the restrictions. But saying that, (the only matches i need the camera for would be the juniors on the outside courts, so i could maybe do without it).

joeb_uk
05-14-2005, 11:50 AM
I have a big ass lens :D 120-300mm 2.6kg (so i dont think anyone could sneak that beast in lol). I remember last year they broke our bag when doing the search, they emptied everything out (my dad was actually quite pissed off at the time).

Ferrero Forever
05-14-2005, 11:52 AM
lol, no wonder then. Good luck in trying to get it in though.

joeb_uk
05-14-2005, 11:54 AM
Also if anyone has recieved the letter or (even tickets lol :eek:) please post here, i am curious to see how many people they are doing it to.

*Ljubica*
05-14-2005, 12:39 PM

The bag checkers at Wimbledon are pedantic, bureaucratic b******s just like everyone else connected with the tournament. Good Luck with everything Joe - as usual I will be avoiding Wimby like the plague, apart from walking in about 5 minutes before David's matches and walking out 5 minutes afterwards - I hate the place!!!!

joeb_uk
05-14-2005, 01:19 PM
The bag checkers at Wimbledon are pedantic, bureaucratic b******s just like everyone else connected with the tournament

i couldnt believe the way they went through our bags! disgraceful. Opening up our lunch box, camera case (lmao they, emptied it all out).

blosson
05-14-2005, 01:40 PM
I agree the bag checking is very annoying during Wimbledon but so it is at USO. London and NY are very targeted cities by terrorists and all sort of crazy people. They need to be sure we are all safe. I prefer going througth the fussy security checking rather than be sorry.

*Ljubica*
05-14-2005, 02:05 PM
I agree the bag checking is very annoying during Wimbledon but so it is at USO. London and NY are very targeted cities by terrorists and all sort of crazy people. They need to be sure we are all safe. I prefer going througth the fussy security checking rather than be sorry.

I have no objection to being searched - they do it at Roland Garros and pretty much everywhere really. It is just the attitude of the people at Wimby that I object to. Everyone connected to the tourney seems to think it is so much better than any other tennis tourney in the world - and it's not - they should get over themselves and start treating players and spectators as human beings not trash :devil: Just my opinion anyway.

Kristen
05-14-2005, 02:18 PM
omg. Australia Rocks.
Security: "Have you got any glass in there?"
Kristen: "No. (just my oversized camera sir!)"
Security: "Ok you're fine."

So amusing that they make such a fuss over tennis. I think there are more interesting, important things to worry about than tennis tournaments :tape: (as much as I love it!)
Good luck getting everything in :)

Neely
05-14-2005, 02:33 PM
Okay, the security people and the ticketing suck and are annoying.
But all this can't change that Wimbledon still is by far the best Grand Slam of all four.

NATAS81
05-14-2005, 02:46 PM
:lol: As if the English didn't have enough to complain about already

(MAN-U SOLD)

fedsfan1
05-14-2005, 03:05 PM
Joeb---sorry about the tix mess--that stinks... :mad:

But the security at the USO is just as bad--no backpacks---wtf???I had to check mine last year & carry a plastic bag all day---horrible!! My mate has a big zoom too but had no problem at the USO---i hope u don't either!!!

I can't believe the big fuss they make about the tics at Wimbledon---I just buy my tics the day of at the USO---I never have a problem & NEVER have to queue for that long....maybe a a couple of minutes. Hope your mom gives them hell!!!

cheers :cool:

Kristen
05-14-2005, 03:14 PM
LMAO @ a plastic bag at the tennis. That's ten times (at least!) worse than a backpack! They should consider noise, and being a pain in the ass for the carrier, and the players :eek:

joeb_uk
05-14-2005, 03:23 PM
reminds me of the wta tournament :D where someone left their backpack in the stadium (they thought it was a bomb, and play was held up for a few hours!). They even had to cancel one match lmao!

buddyholly
05-14-2005, 03:27 PM
My ballot entry failed, but I do remember that somewhere it said that only the person who bought the ticket and the guest (who would also have to be named in advance) would be admitted. Looks like you will have to go with your mum. This new thing about not getting your ticket in the mail sounds bad, too.
I'll stick with the NASDAQ, five minutes queue at the front gate, and five minutes later sitting front row in the sun on an outside court watching Nadal.

buddyholly
05-14-2005, 03:35 PM
I think it also said that if anyone other than the ticket purchaser tried to use the tickets the AELTC would take possession of the purchaser's house and car, anywhere in the world. :D

Billy Moonshine
05-14-2005, 03:52 PM
Wimbledon irritates the hell out of me. I have been lucky enough to go several times but I hate the fact that the general public cant buy tix and then you see all those empty seats!!!!!!!And the place really represents all that is bad about English culture. No wonder we cant find tennis champs. Tennis in the Uk is not for everyone. At least this is the message that its premier tournament is sending out.

joeb_uk
05-14-2005, 03:58 PM
Wimbledon is a club that is stuck up its own ass, i have heard queens is quite similar?
Although, events such as nottingham, surbiton, birmingham, eastbourne (i dont think are the same). And i dont buy into the best slam crap, it is probably the worst slam along with the usopen. I have always preferred roland garros to wimbledon, and after going to both events (it only reinforced how much better rg is for me). And for me, a grass court slam is never gonna compete with a clay one anyway!

buddyholly
05-14-2005, 04:08 PM
I think your dad will have to go in one of your mum's nice summer frocks.

*Ljubica*
05-14-2005, 04:13 PM
Wimbledon is a club that is stuck up its own ass, i have heard queens is quite similar?
Although, events such as nottingham, surbiton, birmingham, eastbourne (i dont think are the same). And i dont buy into the best slam crap, it is probably the worst slam along with the usopen. I have always preferred roland garros to wimbledon, and after going to both events (it only reinforced how much better rg is for me). And for me, a grass court slam is never gonna compete with a clay one anyway!

I totally agree with you Joe and with Billy. I was born a couple of miles from Wimbledon and went every year as a child with my parents, but I don't adhere to this "best Slam crap" either. OK - it has age and tradition on it's side - but the conditions are worse for the players than in all the other Grand Slams and the spectators are treated like s**t. It definately does represent everything snobbish and elitist that is bad about English culture, and from a totally tennis point of view, the endless rain delays, the slippery grass etc don't make for the best playing standards in my opinion.

Action Jackson
05-14-2005, 04:20 PM
Organise the shipment of clay joe.

joeb_uk
05-14-2005, 04:28 PM
The condintion of the grass courts isnt even that good! Of all the grasscourt events atp/wta (i would call wimbledons some of the worst on tour!).

joeb_uk
05-14-2005, 04:35 PM
I agree with most of the points made, just wondering if no-one other than me enjoys the fact you have to queue up at Wimbledon. I got a lot of people I know to send in ballot applications, and didn't get one reply. I'm not that bothered, I really enjoy queueing up overnight, getting drunk in the queue and mixing with a lot of other tennis fans. Come stay in the queue with us overnight, you'll enjoy it more than just turning up in the morning and getting your tickets.

By the way Joeb, surely when they say only the persons name that is on the ticket can collect them it'll be ok if its the same family name? The system is obviously designed to stop people selling tickets, but if its your mums name on the ticket I'm pretty sure it'd be ok.
Yep hopefully! the trouble is my mum hates tennis, so there is no way she want to go anyway (and taking her with us to get the tickets is not an option, as it costs 25£ for the train each to get there).

Action Jackson
05-14-2005, 04:38 PM
The condintion of the grass courts isnt even that good! Of all the grasscourt events atp/wta (i would call wimbledons some of the worst on tour!).

Maybe they should let some cows graze on the courts.

joeb_uk
05-14-2005, 04:43 PM
She just got home, so maybe she will ring in a while. although knowing them, they are probably open saturday (mornings) :D

k-rod83
05-14-2005, 04:44 PM
well this is fucked up!!
my auntie applied for tickets as a surprise for my 22nd b-day if she got them..she did and i was so excited at going...she is not a tennis fan and wants me to take someone who appreciates it. hope to god she hasnt got one of these letters.

KarstenBraasch#1
05-14-2005, 04:47 PM
Why in the world are you asking for tickets if you hate the tournament that much ??? :rolleyes:

Stay away from there or quit your whining. Thanks.

joeb_uk
05-14-2005, 04:49 PM
AS you say, i am not a fan of the tournament (but i want to watch the TENNIS). i dont like the crap associated with it, but it doesnt mean i dont want to see the tennis. I am sure you would feel/do the same?

joeb_uk
05-14-2005, 04:51 PM
well this is fucked up!!
my auntie applied for tickets as a surprise for my 22nd b-day if she got them..she did and i was so excited at going...she is not a tennis fan and wants me to take someone who appreciates it. hope to god she hasnt got one of these letters.
:( lets hope not!

joeb_uk
05-14-2005, 04:52 PM
We also aren't exactly spoilt for choice in terms of what tournaments we can go to unless we leave the county :(
Good point :yeah: i dont have enough cash to fly around the world watching tournaments, so the tournament choices within england are very limited. In germany you have some tournaments on different surfaces, so i dont expect you to understand kar

Action Jackson
05-14-2005, 04:53 PM
Good point :yeah: i dont have enough cash to fly around the world watching tournaments, so the tournament choices within england are very limited. In germany you have some tournaments on different surfaces, so i dont expect you to understand kar

It's not that expensive now luckily.

joeb_uk
05-14-2005, 04:55 PM
It's not that expensive now luckily.
It is when you have to pay for accomodation, and you know i am fussy with that george ;)

KarstenBraasch#1
05-14-2005, 04:56 PM
AS you say, i am not a fan of the tournament (but i want to watch the TENNIS). i dont like the crap associated with it, but it doesnt mean i dont want to see the tennis. I am sure you would feel/do the same?
Yes, I'm not happy with everything surrounding TMS Hamburg (my home tournament) either, but I'm not gonna say "what a crap tournament" because I'm happy that it still exists.

And I have been to Wimbledon and I found queueing a pleasant experience. And the staff has been much nicer too compared to Hamburg.
So I don't really get what your problem is.

Action Jackson
05-14-2005, 04:56 PM
It is when you have to pay for accomodation, and you know i am fussy with that george ;)

There are people around here who can help in that regard, got to ask the right questions, it'll be worth it.

KarstenBraasch#1
05-14-2005, 04:58 PM
Uh tell me about the different surfaces. There's Halle (grass and a crap tournament) and Filderstadt (indoors and far away), and that's it.

Action Jackson
05-14-2005, 05:00 PM
Shall we get to the argument about taking an American harcourt TMS and having one on grass in Britain instead :lol:

They should have it in Newport.

Action Jackson
05-14-2005, 05:00 PM
Uh tell me about the different surfaces. There's Halle (grass and a crap tournament) and Filderstadt (indoors and far away), and that's it.

Why is Halle crap?

KarstenBraasch#1
05-14-2005, 05:04 PM
Why is Halle crap?
1. Very bad surface.
2. Small draw and crappy scheduling.
3. Mostly clay-courters.
4. Kiefer doing well.

KarstenBraasch#1
05-14-2005, 05:05 PM
Mate I think you should have a look at the tournament that's going on at the moment :confused: Unless my geography is very bad and Hamburg is in America
I meant apart from clay. And yes, I know about Hamburg, as stated 3 posts earlier.

Action Jackson
05-14-2005, 05:06 PM
:haha: In all seriousness its about time there was a TMS on grass, even if it wasn't necessarily in Britain, although it would be nice if it was.

We're the home of tennis, remember :cool:

Only if they took one away from the US and it was a hardcourt event that was being replaced by the grass one.

Action Jackson
05-14-2005, 05:06 PM
1. Very bad surface.
2. Small draw and crappy scheduling.
3. Mostly clay-courters.
4. Kiefer doing well.

Number 4 is really the biggest problem isn't it?

joeb_uk
05-14-2005, 05:08 PM
Sounds a big reason too doesnt it george? ;)

KarstenBraasch#1
05-14-2005, 05:12 PM
No.

joeb_uk
05-14-2005, 05:23 PM
good post by the legend eggy on wtaworld:
what i wanna see is

Will all the Securior guys all have rulers on them and measure each bag

they got a set limit now. 18x12x12 i think it was.

and do the ladies hand bag count as the "one bag" (stick that inside the other bag

Aleksa's Laydee
05-14-2005, 06:36 PM
i have my tickets through :D

joeb_uk
05-14-2005, 07:02 PM
i have my tickets through :D
you are kidding? you dont have to collect them?

Aleksa's Laydee
05-14-2005, 07:07 PM
you are kidding? you dont have to collect them?

nope i touched mine this morning!

allanah
05-14-2005, 07:11 PM
Ok, so i just got my wimbledon ticket form back from the post (and it says due to people selling their tickets, they arent sending them through!!). I have to pick my tickets up the morning of play at gate 4 (it says they are picking random people to do this). This is absolutely pathetic, i dont want to have to queue up for ages to get my tickets when i have already payed for them. My mum is gonna ring up and complain about this lol (because the tickets are in her name). It also says you need passport/drivers license proof of id for the persons name who applied, my mum isnt going (its just me and my dad :eek:).

Definitely inconvenient but it may actually be a bit of a good thing. I know a few people from a football forum who've paid for FA Cup final tickets and not received them. When they rang up to inquire, they were told they had been despatched. so you can only assume posties are nicking them and they are sure to pop up on on ebay or be touted on the day. Wimbledon tickets are likely to be the same.

joeb_uk
05-14-2005, 07:11 PM
So the cocksuckers are just picking people at random GRRRRRRRR

joeb_uk
05-14-2005, 07:20 PM
Couldnt phone them up lol :eek: only open monday-friday. Thinking of it though, it may not to bad having to go gate 4 it says and security will take you the ticket office (where you can collect). Last year i qeued up for 30-45 minutes even though i had my tickets. So as long you are in when you go to gate 4 (and dont have to qeue to get in afterwards).

*Ljubica*
05-14-2005, 08:08 PM
Couldnt phone them up lol :eek: only open monday-friday. Thinking of it though, it may not to bad having to go gate 4 it says and security will take you the ticket office (where you can collect). Last year i qeued up for 30-45 minutes even though i had my tickets. So as long you are in when you go to gate 4 (and dont have to qeue to get in afterwards).

My advice Joe - just get there early - MUCH earlier than you would normally need to. Even with accreditation I tend to give myself plenty of time if I need to go into Wimbledon because their methods and procedures are appallingly pedantic and slow :devil: Good Luck!!

joeb_uk
05-14-2005, 08:12 PM
My advice Joe - just get there early - MUCH earlier than you would normally need to. Even with accreditation I tend to give myself plenty of time if I need to go into Wimbledon because their methods and procedures are appallingly pedantic and slow :devil: Good Luck!!
The trouble is rosie my dear :D the earliest train i can get is 8.16 which means i get there at 10.16 (london victoria) then need to go on the tube to wimbledon (then walk there). If i want to get there any earlier i will have to pay 40£ for the train instead of 20 :(

*Ljubica*
05-14-2005, 08:20 PM
The trouble is rosie my dear :D the earliest train i can get is 8.16 which means i get there at 10.16 (london victoria) then need to go on the tube to wimbledon (then walk there). If i want to get there any earlier i will have to pay 40£ for the train instead of 20 :(

Ah yes - the joys of peak time commuter train prices :devil: It's the same for me coming into Central London, but I think the extra 20€ would be worth it to make sure you get in on time.

joeb_uk
05-14-2005, 08:21 PM
PS someone i know online is coming to the eastbourne tournament, he will arrive in luton and wants to get to eastbourne from there! so i am wondering is he able to get a train from luton to victoria (then he could get a train from victoria to eastbourne).

Space Cowgirl
05-14-2005, 08:24 PM
excuse my naivety, but is ticket demand so high that you can't just buy your tickets at the gate on the day? :confused:
Obviously I can understand the show-court tickets selling out in advance, but is space on the outside court so limited?

Seems a pretty crazy way to sell tickets IMO, I think I'd prefer to stick to watching it on the BBC!

Sjengster
05-14-2005, 08:30 PM
PS someone i know online is coming to the eastbourne tournament, he will arrive in luton and wants to get to eastbourne from there! so i am wondering is he able to get a train from luton to victoria (then he could get a train from victoria to eastbourne).

Nah, surely trains from Luton and the rest of the Midlands go to King's Cross. A tube journey is involved between there and Victoria, methinks.

joeb_uk
05-14-2005, 08:46 PM
I did a quick check on national rail and it seems it takes 1 hour to get from luton to victoria.

*Ljubica*
05-14-2005, 09:19 PM
excuse my naivety, but is ticket demand so high that you can't just buy your tickets at the gate on the day? :confused:
Obviously I can understand the show-court tickets selling out in advance, but is space on the outside court so limited?

Seems a pretty crazy way to sell tickets IMO, I think I'd prefer to stick to watching it on the BBC!

Much as I personally hate Wimbledon, I have to admit that ticket demand IS indeed so high. The ballot for Centre and Number 1 Court tickets runs from August to December in the previous year and is always so heavily oversubscribed that a very small percentage of applicants get the tickets they require. They keep 500 Show Court tickets each day during the first week for queuers (people actualy camp overnight for those), and then the queue for outside court tickets starts at about 7.00am. I'm not sure of the total capacity for Wimby (about 33,000 a day I think) so it's not that small, but having travelled extensively to many other tournaments outside England, nowhere else comes close to it in regards to ticket demand.

joeb_uk
05-14-2005, 09:22 PM
Rosalind! which is more stuck up, queens or wimbledon?

Sjengster
05-14-2005, 09:24 PM
After reading through this thread, I don't feel at all disappointed that I've never actually been to Wimbledon. I'll stick to watching it for free and with the choice of several courts at once on the BBC, my money for tournament travel if it ever materialises is going on more exotic destinations.

*Ljubica*
05-14-2005, 09:25 PM
Rosalind! which is more stuck up, queens or wimbledon?

Joseph!!!!! :angel: I would say Queens. My least favourite venue on the Tour :devil:

buddyholly
05-14-2005, 09:25 PM
Joe,
We all want to read transcripts of your mum's call to Wimby.

joeb_uk
05-14-2005, 09:26 PM
Well we are gonna ring up on monday! the key info will be:
how long will it take to queue?
whats the restrictions on cameras/lenses?
can my family member get the tickets for me?

anything else you want to know? ill ask maybe

buddyholly
05-14-2005, 09:27 PM

They only sell 6000 ground passes on the day. You have to queue for hours and hours and ........... In fact I am in the queue now.

joeb_uk
05-14-2005, 09:29 PM
Joseph!!!!! :angel: I would say Queens. My least favourite venue on the Tour :devil:
I am really looking forward to going to queens tho :eek: lol! i cant wait :D probably because its atp only and ill have a grounds pass :yeah:

*Ljubica*
05-14-2005, 09:31 PM
I am really looking forward to going to queens tho :eek: lol! i cant wait :D probably because its atp only and ill have a grounds pass :yeah:

Good Luck to you sweetie - I'll be in Halle :angel:

And buddyholly - I'll bring you a flask of tea in the morning in that queue if you would like!

joeb_uk
05-14-2005, 09:33 PM
It sounds like you hate queens so much! what is so bad about it lol?
Would you hate it so much if david played? (maybe it would be abit better? :))

buddyholly
05-14-2005, 09:33 PM
Well we are gonna ring up on monday! the key info will be:
how long will it take to queue?
whats the restrictions on cameras/lenses?
can my family member get the tickets for me?

anything else you want to know? ill ask maybe

No, I just want to follow your odyssey. I am sort of relieved I lost out on the ballot. But I do want to know if they give you trouble because your mum bought the tickets and she will not be one of the two people using them.
I considered asking my sister in Ireland to enter the ballot for me this year, then thought they are such bastards they would probably not let anyone else use the ticket.

joeb_uk
05-14-2005, 09:34 PM
You know i thought about getting all my friends and my parents friends to apply for the ballot next year and then sell the tickets (i cant now).

buddyholly
05-14-2005, 09:35 PM
And buddyholly - I'll bring you a flask of tea in the morning in that queue if you would like!

Thanks Rosie, but I am too old now, I prefer Auntie Beeb and a cappucino.

*Ljubica*
05-14-2005, 09:36 PM
It sounds like you hate queens so much! what is so bad about it lol?
Would you hate it so much if david played? (maybe it would be abit better? :))

I hated it when David was still in Primary School so I doubt any decision of his would change my views. Besides it is really not so likely that he would ever go there - if he tried I would shoot him first :devil:

joeb_uk
05-14-2005, 09:38 PM
ahh its really that bad then? how come?

*Ljubica*
05-14-2005, 09:57 PM
ahh its really that bad then? how come?

Well this is a purely personal opinion, but to me it's just a ghastly "society" affair full of "hooray Henrys" who don't know the first thing about tennis, and spend their entire time braying over champagne in the hospitality tents while genuine fans can't get onto the Centre Court because the seats have all been sold as "hospitality" packages :devil: Ar least at Wimbledon you get a fair amount of genuine fans who queue, plus a lot of Aussies and other tourists who add to the colour and the atmosphere of the event - but Queens is just.......... :devil:

alfonsojose
05-14-2005, 10:01 PM
:awww: Wimbledon looks pretty complicated. At least i bought my tickets for Nottingham (which i haven't received yet :rolleyes: ) but definetely i'll be there Monday 20 and maybe Tuesday 21. I'll arrive to London on June 15. I can-t wait to visit Stonehenge :yeah: :bounce: :bounce:

*Ljubica*
05-14-2005, 10:04 PM
:awww: Wimbledon looks pretty complicated. At least i bought my tickets for Nottingham (which i haven't received yet :rolleyes: ) but definetely i'll be there Monday 20 and maybe Tuesday 21. I'll arrive to London on June 15. I can-t wait to visit Stonehenge :yeah: :bounce: :bounce:

Stonehenge is a fair way from London alfie.Are you hiring a car? It's the easiest way to get there. I would be your guide but I'm busy at Stoke Park the week of June 15th.

alfonsojose
05-14-2005, 10:15 PM
Well, i'm going to learn everything about London tour, London trips, etc. I guess i'll join a tour to Stonehenge or hiring a car :shrug:

joeb_uk
05-14-2005, 10:28 PM
Well, i'm going to learn everything about London tour, London trips, etc. I guess i'll join a tour to Stonehenge or hiring a car :shrug:
check the nottingham thread alfie!

k-rod83
05-14-2005, 10:29 PM
got in touch with my auntie and she has the tickets...i have spent all afternoon conjuring up lies to tell wimby just in case she got a letter.

joeb_uk did u send more that 1 request from the same address cos i read on a different board that they werechecking the people who entered significant amouts as they (wimby) think it is suspicious or something like that. just a thought

joeb_uk
05-14-2005, 10:30 PM
btw alfie how come you decided to go to nottingha, instead of all the other tournaments? i mean its not common for someone to travel as far as you are just to go to nottingham

joeb_uk
05-14-2005, 10:30 PM
got in touch with my auntie and she has the tickets...i have spent all afternoon conjuring up lies to tell wimby just in case she got a letter.

joeb_uk did u send more that 1 request from the same address cos i read on a different board that they werechecking the people who entered significant amouts as they (wimby) think it is suspicious or something like that. just a thought
its my first request ever (maybe thats why, first time buyers are being chosen?)

k-rod83
05-14-2005, 10:49 PM
will you be queuing as well?

blosson
05-15-2005, 12:05 AM

Stonehenge is great but not so close to London as Rosie said. There is a long queue in there too :)

Getting decent tickets to Wimbledon is not easy. Most tickets are sold away in advance and there are only limited passes per day and a looong queueee. Quite anoying, but the strawberries and cream are lovely. And the Pimms too.

Enjoy your time in London.

Chloe le Bopper
05-15-2005, 03:28 AM
Okay, the security people and the ticketing suck and are annoying.
But all this can't change that Wimbledon still is by far the best Grand Slam of all four.

:haha:

Ferrero Forever
05-15-2005, 07:02 AM
This thread makes me love the australian open even more. Great public transport services to and from the event, easy to get great tickets, bag checks go through quickly, and it's a friendly atmosphere. Only 9 months left till the next one :)

Dutchie
05-15-2005, 11:40 AM
No way!!! :eek:

That's so stupid!

:hug:

buddyholly
05-15-2005, 03:13 PM
I'll arrive to London on June 15. I can-t wait to visit Stonehenge :yeah: :bounce: :bounce:

Did you know you can only look at it from a distance now? It was suffering too much from tourists climbing all over it that access is now restricted.
You might try saying you are a druid. :devil:

Experimentee
05-15-2005, 03:24 PM
The organisation of WImbledon sounds terrible :o
Everything I've heard suggests it would be a nightmare to visit. I feel lucky to have the Aus Open instead.

Peta Pan
05-15-2005, 03:34 PM
The best of luck to you Joe! This whole situation seems so ridiculous.

Makes me appreciate how easy the Australian Open is.

In regards to your camera... :eek: 2.6kg??? WOW. Mine is 100mm-300mm and is only rather small and light. Easy to fit into my backpack.

star
05-15-2005, 03:53 PM
I'll stick with the NASDAQ, five minutes queue at the front gate, and five minutes later sitting front row in the sun on an outside court watching Nadal.

Ditto for me....... Only Indian Wells. :)

Except Nadal isn't gonna be on those outer courts much longer. ;)

joeb_uk
05-15-2005, 04:01 PM
The best of luck to you Joe! This whole situation seems so ridiculous.

Makes me appreciate how easy the Australian Open is.

In regards to your camera... :eek: 2.6kg??? WOW. Mine is 100mm-300mm and is only rather small and light. Easy to fit into my backpack.
hehe yeah :D the lens is 2.6kg (camera is only 700g or something because its not one of the pro metal bodies, its plastic). I think the lens is so heavy because its f2.8 and its also hsm autofocusing.

Dutchie
05-15-2005, 07:01 PM
hehe yeah :D the lens is 2.6kg (camera is only 700g or something because its not one of the pro metal bodies, its plastic). I think the lens is so heavy because its f2.8 and its also hsm autofocusing.

I remember you trying to decide wich camera to buy - wich one did you pick?

joeb_uk
05-15-2005, 07:06 PM
Nikon d70 :D

chrissiej
05-15-2005, 07:29 PM
The organisation of WImbledon sounds terrible :o
Everything I've heard suggests it would be a nightmare to visit. I feel lucky to have the Aus Open instead.

The organisation of Wimbledon is English. Nothing else needs to be said. ;) Though it was quite impressive on People's Sunday last year, normally, like everything else in this country, its not great.

KarstenBraasch#1
05-15-2005, 10:32 PM
I'm glad that, when I ever get the chance to go there again, all of you pathetic whiners are at home and I have my peace. :)

Sjengster
05-15-2005, 10:37 PM
There'll be more at Wimbledon for you to enjoy KB, don't worry. You can't keep a good nation of whiners down.

buddyholly
05-15-2005, 10:57 PM
I'm glad that, when I ever get the chance to go there again, all of you pathetic whiners are at home and I have my peace. :)

We'll be comfy at home drinking capuccinos and you'll be wondering why you spent all that money and time to walk around the grounds all day in a plastic mac, waiting for the deluge to blow over. :devil:
Maybe you'll get lucky and Sir Cliff will wake up long enough to sing ''Summer Holiday".

KarstenBraasch#1
05-15-2005, 11:03 PM
We'll be comfy at home drinking capuccinos and you'll be wondering why you spent all that money and time to walk around the grounds all day in a plastic mac, waiting for the deluge to blow over. :devil:
Maybe you'll get lucky and Sir Cliff will wake up long enough to sing ''Summer Holiday".
Thanks but I'm used to bad weather from Hamburg and compared to that, Wimbledon 2000 weather was brilliant. :)
And Sir Cliff usually sticks to Centre Court where you'll rarely find me. :)

alfonsojose
05-16-2005, 04:36 AM
btw alfie how come you decided to go to nottingha, instead of all the other tournaments? i mean its not common for someone to travel as far as you are just to go to nottingham
Well, my goal is going to a grass court tennis tournament. Of course, Wimby is the first in my mind, but if i can't i have Nottingham. Besides, my trip isn't tennis only. I'm going to enjoy being at London, and probably Stonehenge :)
I've never been at Europe, so hopefully it is going to be really :cool:

BLOODY ENGLAND, BIG FONSIE WILL BE THERE ;)

*Ljubica*
05-16-2005, 06:18 AM
Well, my goal is going to a grass court tennis tournament. Of course, Wimby is the first in my mind, but if i can't i have Nottingham. Besides, my trip isn't tennis only. I'm going to enjoy being at London, and probably Stonehenge :)

England is looking forward to your first visit here Fonsie :hug: One word of advice - be VERY careful of the taxis at Heathrow - they'll rip you off badly if you are a "foreigner". The metro (Jubilee Line) runs straight into London from Heathrow Airport - if you haven't got too much luggage it's a much better option - cheaper and probably quicker depending on traffic.

joeb_uk
05-16-2005, 10:20 AM

HELL YEAH BIG FONSIE :woohoo:

Action Jackson
05-16-2005, 10:22 AM
Enjoy your time at Wimbledon joe and then you'll learn where the real tournaments are to visit.

joeb_uk
05-16-2005, 10:34 AM

btw fonsie! will you be going to queens too?

joeb_uk
05-16-2005, 10:39 AM
BIG JOE WILL BE AT SURBITON! :woohoo: his ticket just arrived! will be my first challenger! :D

jtipson
05-16-2005, 11:45 AM
You know i thought about getting all my friends and my parents friends to apply for the ballot next year and then sell the tickets (i cant now).

Please don't - you reduce the chance for other genuine tennis fans to get tickets. This is exactly what the AELTC is trying to stop. Some people follow the rules and only make a single application every year, you know.

Action Jackson
05-16-2005, 11:50 AM
BIG JOE WILL BE AT SURBITON! :woohoo: his ticket just arrived! will be my first challenger! :D

What's going on you have to apply in a ballot for a challenger?

The next time I return to Wimbledon I am going the friends route again and going to organise some cows to graze on those courts.

joeb_uk
05-16-2005, 12:03 PM
What's going on you have to apply in a ballot for a challenger?

The next time I return to Wimbledon I am going the friends route again and going to organise some cows to graze on those courts.
Well georgeyboy! i buy all my tickets in advance, i like to plan in advance! it saves time when i get there and with events such as queens (surbiton) i cannot get there on time, so i dont want to waste more time having to buy tickets. I hear queens queue is normally 30-45 minutes (shouldnt think surbiton has a queue tho).

Action Jackson
05-16-2005, 12:08 PM
Well georgeyboy! i buy all my tickets in advance, i like to plan in advance! it saves time when i get there and with events such as queens (surbiton) i cannot get there on time, so i dont want to waste more time having to buy tickets. I hear queens queue is normally 30-45 minutes (shouldnt think surbiton has a queue tho).

Queens fair enough I can understand that, but not for a challenger, not even the Zagreb one with Ljubo or the Bratislava one with Hrbaty.

joeb_uk
05-16-2005, 12:20 PM
i dont know the extent of how long it would take at surbiton (who knows?), so i ordered anyway. Why wait :D
I will probably be 1 hour late at surbiton anyway, so i didnt want to waste any more time!

joeb_uk
05-16-2005, 05:11 PM

England better look out while BIG FONSIE is on the prowl! ;)

ae wowww
05-16-2005, 05:11 PM
FONSO WILL BE IN ENGLAND, BUMMING IT UP :D!

alfonsojose
05-16-2005, 06:16 PM
You might try saying you are a druid. :devil:
:angel:

Adman
05-16-2005, 06:19 PM

They shouldn't do that, they should ask you first if you mind, some people will do it.

alfonsojose
05-26-2005, 03:06 PM
England is looking forward to your first visit here Fonsie :hug: One word of advice - be VERY careful of the taxis at Heathrow - they'll rip you off badly if you are a "foreigner". The metro (Jubilee Line) runs straight into London from Heathrow Airport - if you haven't got too much luggage it's a much better option - cheaper and probably quicker depending on traffic.
How much money should i pay for a trip from Heathrow to Earls' court :confused: ?

mitalidas
05-26-2005, 03:08 PM
How much money should i pay for a trip from Heathrow to Earls' court :confused: ?

you should take the tube-- its a couple pounds

alfonsojose
05-26-2005, 03:13 PM
you should take the tube-- its a couple pounds
I know, but after 12 hours flying the last thing i want to do is carrying two suitcases on a train :awww: :shrug:

blosson
05-26-2005, 03:53 PM

it's expensive.
a taxi might cost around GBP 40 to 50.

heathrow express [fast train to Paddington train station, which is quite central] it costs around GBP 13 one way

the underground/ tube is the cheapest way but London stations are not very well catered for big suitcases. there are a lot of stairs and few lifts.

I hope it helps.

alfonsojose
05-26-2005, 04:33 PM
it's expensive.
a taxi might cost around GBP 40 to 50.

heathrow express [fast train to Paddington train station, which is quite central] it costs around GBP 13 one way

the underground/ tube is the cheapest way but London stations are not very well catered for big suitcases. there are a lot of stairs and few lifts.

I hope it helps.
thank U

joeb_uk
06-27-2005, 12:12 PM
Ok after ringing up (before the tournament there was no such number so i couldnt contact them) they say its not possible lmao! wimbledon = bunch of wankers

My mum said look my son and husband have drivers licenses with the same address as my mum (which the tickets are under) and the same surname. they said you cant do it, it has to be authorised lmao (they want a letter sent to them, but my mum has said no it may not arrive in time). So they are going to ring back later, and my mum is going to give them shit if they wont allow it (its their fuck up for handing out these pathetic instructions rather than the tickets, and i am the only person i have heard to get one of them :shrug: ). If they continue to carry on with this crap when they ring back, we are gonna say stuff the tickets.

Wimbledon your ticket policy is a fucking joke anyway (not being able to buy the tickets you want before hand) and its even worse when you are being total wankers about this :eek:

joeb_uk
06-27-2005, 10:39 PM
Ok, some great news! wimbledon didnt even bother to ring back. Christ, its a tennis tournament not a military operation. The thing is, i dont understand why it was only me who didnt get their tickets sent through (this shows how useful their operation is in reducing ticket touting). Ticket touting is like dvd/cd piracy, you can never stop it! there is no chance in hell of stopping it :) touts will always be ahead of them and will be laughing in wimbledons face :D

The way wimbledon sell their tickets (makes touting even worse, so maybe if they got rid of the crappy ballot it wouldnt be such a huge problem).

LaTenista
06-28-2005, 01:08 AM
What day are you going Joe?

And to think, I was crying on the flight from London to Cincinnati - wasn't taking it too well but moving 5 weeks before Wimbledon was just too much!

Please keep the nightmares coming and maybe someday I'll stop wanting to go to this tournament.

Cincy isn't perfect but 100% more fan friendly - I purchase tickets for the entire tourney months in advance and then in December you can renew the same seat or even ask for an upgrade (better seat) which I actually got last year so was able to move 12 rows closer to the court :)