The Old British dude on the Tennis Channel [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

The Old British dude on the Tennis Channel

yonexforever
05-14-2005, 08:00 AM
I think the Tennis Channel should seriously think twice about using this guy.
I believe its an Aussie and a Brit on the microphone.. if I hear that old British guy call another male tennis player "boy", or one of the women "girl", im going to scream!
It is so un PC!

Clara Bow
05-14-2005, 08:33 AM
Outside of those outdated terms I think he's a pretty good announcer. At least he does it across gender lines. ;)

I don't think he's doing it to be demeaning. Heck- I'm in my 20s and I still refer to my friends as the "girls" and "guys" or "boys". And I'm about as left as they come. It frankly doesn't bother me how he says it.

uNIVERSE mAN
05-14-2005, 09:26 AM
At least he doesn't feel his job is at stake if he doesn't talk non-stop.

switz
05-14-2005, 11:35 AM
john barrett is the brit and josh eagle is the aussie.

barrett is probably the most well known commentator outside of the US. He has good knowledge but i have to admit he gets on my nerves at times as well but for not such trivial reasons. hevery match he talks about how bad racquet technology has made the game and every time someone takes an injury timeout he goes on the same rant about how they never used to exist and they didn't even use to sit down at change overs.

yesterday he went on about this analogy between the davydenko/volandri match and a davis cup tie where the romanians underperformed on clay because of home town pressure and said it was the same reason volandri was playing poorly - but he is italian and they are playing in germany :confused:

he is better than most though. i actually think josh eagle is really good because he's pretty quick witted and knows most players personally because he just retired.

Action Jackson
05-14-2005, 11:40 AM
Barett is just Barrett I got used to him years ago and he is right about the timeout thing.

Eagle isn't too bad and Adler was funny for an American commentator, he did his job well and didn't go on about how important he is.

Socket
05-14-2005, 01:30 PM
Barrett is quite well known in the States, if you're old enough to have heard him commentate during the US Open some years ago. It's only the 20-somethings that populate these boards that don't know about him.

switz
05-14-2005, 02:54 PM
Barett is just Barrett I got used to him years ago and he is right about the timeout thing.

i agree that it's an issue but he talks about it every time with such passion as if it's the first time he's ever brought it up. as a commentator you have to presume a great number of people watching one day are people who have watched on previous days IMO.

Action Jackson
05-14-2005, 02:56 PM
i agree that it's an issue but he talks about it every time with such passion as if it's the first time he's ever brought it up. as a commentator you have to presume a great number of people watching one day are people who have watched on previous days IMO.

He's right on that one though, one of the few things, but I see your point.

onewoman74
05-14-2005, 02:56 PM
I love his old school style...I really like his commentary...he's very blunt and honest.

Keep up the good work, Mr. Barrett and Josh your a good compliment to Mr. Barrett.

Jenrios
05-14-2005, 04:06 PM
Barrett worshipped the ground Lendl walked on - that's good enough for me:) Go JB:)

Action Jackson
05-14-2005, 04:07 PM
Barrett worshipped the ground Lendl walked on - that's good enough for me:) Go JB:)

:haha: :haha: :haha:

Jenrios
05-14-2005, 04:08 PM
Hang on though - he used to rubbish Marcelo's personality, tell the same story over and over ZZZZZZZZZZZZ so I take back the Go JB:)

Action Jackson
05-14-2005, 04:10 PM
JB has been around for years I am so used to him, even the rants about racquets and the Federer fawning.

Jenrios
05-14-2005, 04:12 PM
GH - Barrett used to get personal about Lendl - one game he was on about Lendl's skin having a 'superb glow'. Gerry Williams was the same - one time, Gerry said that Lendl's wife told them to tone it down as it was giving Ivan a big head:)

tennischick
05-14-2005, 04:13 PM
i love him so much that i never heard the boy and girl comments. but if he's geriatric then i forgive him for not being PC. his tennis comments are almost always spot on. and he plays fair even if he has favorites. i think the Tennis Channel made the right decision to give him the job. they should keep him for as long as he's alive. :worship:

Jenrios
05-14-2005, 04:15 PM
oh, I'd forgotten the Fed fawning. With Rios, it was always the same story - about sacking Stefanki - 'got to no.1 and then fired his coach - not very charitable of him'. JB needed to realise that only Rios made Rios no.1. Oh, and maybe he should have pointed out how greedy Stefanki got. Thankfully, the 'Stefanki is a great motivating coach' was exploded by Henman:)

Action Jackson
05-14-2005, 04:17 PM
GH - Barrett used to get personal about Lendl - one game he was on about Lendl's skin having a 'superb glow'. Gerry Williams was the same - one time, Gerry said that Lendl's wife told them to tone it down as it was giving Ivan a big head:)

I am happy that Lendl had a fan in the media, thank god there was one. The commentators I had respected Lendl in a big way, but I don't think it was that level.

Well the Rios one well Stefanki was an interesting cat for sure, but it was easier to do that with Rios follow the herd.

He used to write the ITF book which was a great read in the day.

tennischick
05-14-2005, 04:18 PM
... Thankfully, the 'Stefanki is a great motivating coach' was exploded by Henman:)
:worship: is he coaching anyone these days? after almost ruining Henman's shoulder. i think Stefanski's probably a decent coach with the right player. but his weakness (and what Rios resisted) is his tendency to have you change your game to what he thinks it should be, as opposed to building on the player's strength and creativity.

as for the Fed-fawning, give me a break. say this three times: "Federer is fawn-worthy". ;)

buddyholly
05-14-2005, 04:23 PM
To Barrett they ARE boys and girls.
Anyway, being PC is synonomous with being a big bore!

Jenrios
05-14-2005, 04:29 PM
Tennischick - I like Fed, but the Fed fawning can turn my stomach:) Stefanki was lucky in that he coached talents such as Mac, Rios and Kaffa when they were all ready reaping the rewards of their talent. I was so happy when Tim fired him. I'm not a fan of Tim, but Stefanki ruined him. Like I said, I credit Tim with exposing the Stefanki myth.

Jenrios
05-14-2005, 04:32 PM
As for Lendl - well, yes, it was nice he got some good mentions from JB and Gerry. Mark Cox hated him and always slagged him off. Maskell always respcted him. It was more the newspaper media that went for his jugular. From about 1990 onwards, Lendl became the sentimental fav - asked if he was 'touched' by this, lendl said not really, as he would just rather win and didn't care if he was popular or unpopular:)

Action Jackson
05-14-2005, 04:34 PM
Iechyd da pob Lendl and as for JB I'll find it funny when he decides to pass onto that big tennis court in the sky or underground.

Jenrios
05-14-2005, 04:38 PM
David Mercer is the best British commentator. He really knows what he's talking about - has a great insight to the game. Threlfall - well, a poor man's John Barrett.

Action Jackson
05-14-2005, 04:40 PM
Well there could be Sjengster's favourite Simon Reed.

Then there is Goodall the man does obvious well, at least he can pronounce the place names right and that is something.

Jenrios
05-14-2005, 04:41 PM
OMG - I so dislike Simon Reed! Hysterically over-the-top.

Action Jackson
05-14-2005, 04:48 PM
Is Reed the guy who used to do the ATP show voice overs in the mid 90s? If he was he definitely loved Rios.

Action Jackson
05-14-2005, 04:55 PM
Too bad you guys don't understand Swedish. Magnus Larsson is a great commentator as languid as he was when he was playing.

Some of the Aussie ones are clowns though better than Courier.

JB, don't go PC.

Sjengster
05-14-2005, 04:56 PM
I have to say, I would prefer pantomime dame Reed on the ATP Tennis show right now to the irritating Aussie presenter who sounds like he's on tranquilisers. He seems to love talking about "Augustin Carlorie", but not quite as much as "Huillermo Corrria...". And don't forget, "the ATP website will tell you about all thing tennis. ATP Tennis!" Somebody shoot this moron now!

Action Jackson
05-14-2005, 04:58 PM
I have to say, I would prefer pantomime dame Reed on the ATP Tennis show right now to the irritating Aussie presenter who sounds like he's on tranquilisers. He seems to love talking about "Augustin Carlorie", but not quite as much as "Huillermo Corrria...". And don't forget, "the ATP website will tell you about all thing tennis. ATP Tennis!" Somebody shoot this moron now!

That guy is an arse clown and I have to put the show on mute just cause he is so bad, you could go for a job doing that.

Sjengster
05-14-2005, 05:01 PM
Simon Reed is a woeful commentator.

Have you also heard of Chris Bowers on Eurosport. He annoyed the hell out of me, but I felt a lot better after I saw him and he looks like one of the biggest losers ever witnessed by mankind :p

I have to agree! Give the man a theme and he'll run with it right the way through a match even when he's exaggerating ridiculously. I've said this before, but at the TMC last year he started to panic about Federer losing his way when Gaudio hit a single brilliant backhand in the second set that Federer couldn't handle. Federer should always win every single point, right? :confused:

I like the chirpy Chris Bowers, I found it funny one year at the US Open when he started going on in very grave tones about the unsuitability of sleeveless shirts as they are "really not proper tennis attire", to which his Aussie co-commentator responded with something along the lines of, "Who cares, mate?" Nice presenting double act with Hingis at RG last year too, although I preferred it when her and Stich got together for German Eurosport and Martina was able to make a nice pun when referring to Ferrero's "stich" as a Mosquito on clay.

Action Jackson
05-14-2005, 05:02 PM
Michael Stich that man held back with the forthright opinions.

Sjengster
05-14-2005, 05:05 PM
He did a bit of commentary for the BBC at Wimbledon last year as well, I didn't know who it was until his achievements were mentioned by the other commentator. It's interesting to hear his obviously sceptical opinions about the game today and the players, he was doing the Grosjean-Mayer QF with John Barrett and when Mayer won a point with a succession of good slices they were in instant agreement that the slice is massively underused by players nowadays.

Sjengster
05-14-2005, 05:10 PM
As to the subject of the thread, I agree that if people find JB annoying we should send them Bill Threlfall instead, that'll make them realise that they didn't know when they had it good. I don't see what's particularly un-PC about calling players "boys" and "girls", it may be a sign of senility but there is certainly a big enough age gap between player and commentator for them to say it. Heck, I remember Threllers called Federer "this boy from Switzerland" during the Federer-Hewitt semi in Miami back in 2002, when he was in raptures about the brilliance of his performance.

Sjengster
05-14-2005, 05:12 PM
Hingis looked awkward alongside him I thought

Did you enjoy Bowers' wacky look to camera that preceded the speeded-up clips of him and Hingis practicing together on Suzanne Lenglen? Ah, that man has a talent for the cameras... not. But as a commentator and presenter of the highlights show I think he has the perfect voice for his job, I missed him sorely at this year's AO when the highlights were narrated by some smug Eurosport hack who clearly didn't know a thing about tennis.

Action Jackson
05-14-2005, 05:13 PM
He did a bit of commentary for the BBC at Wimbledon last year as well, I didn't know who it was until his achievements were mentioned by the other commentator. It's interesting to hear his obviously sceptical opinions about the game today and the players, he was doing the Grosjean-Mayer QF with John Barrett and when Mayer won a point with a succession of good slices they were in instant agreement that the slice is massively underused by players nowadays.

JB is alright actually he is part of the furniture and he does know his stuff, though he does love stars and he is fairly scathing about Coria, but always mentions the lovely Carla.

Sjengster
05-14-2005, 05:16 PM
Sjeng I can't remember who he was playing, but did you see Threlfall commentate on a Kiefer match at a TMS last year. Kiefer was playing awfully, but never in my life have I heard a commentator criticise a player so much. It was outrageous. He's also extremely patronising to everyone around him.

Worst. Commentator. Ever.

You're sure KarstenBraasch#1 hadn't taken over the commentary booth by mistake?

In fairness, Kiefer's losses to Coria and Volandri in TMS matches last year were so pitiful that I would probably have agreed with him, the latter is I think the one you're referring to, when Kiefer managed to get bagelled in the final set after having done the same to Volandri in the second set.

The harshest criticism I can remember Bill delivering is of Kafelnikov when he lost to Canas in Toronto 02, he did make something like 26 unforced errors in the first set alone and by the end Threlfall was sarcastically asking, "Do you think he's made a bet with someone about the number of cheap and feeble errors he can make in one set?"

cobalt60
05-14-2005, 05:24 PM
i love him so much that i never heard the boy and girl comments. but if he's geriatric then i forgive him for not being PC. his tennis comments are almost always spot on. and he plays fair even if he has favorites. i think the Tennis Channel made the right decision to give him the job. they should keep him for as long as he's alive. :worship:

I so totally agree. I have learned quite a bit form these commentators. Usually on the other American Channels during slams/Olympics they have whom I consider biased and obnoxious. They shall remain nameless. So Barrett and company are a nice change for me. Very even handed.

Action Jackson
05-14-2005, 05:25 PM
As long as they are fair with their criticism that is fine I mean what Gaudio copped was fair enough displayed on his Monte Carlo performance.

onewoman74
05-14-2005, 05:41 PM
Tennischick - I like Fed, but the Fed fawning can turn my stomach:) Stefanki was lucky in that he coached talents such as Mac, Rios and Kaffa when they were all ready reaping the rewards of their talent. I was so happy when Tim fired him. I'm not a fan of Tim, but Stefanki ruined him. Like I said, I credit Tim with exposing the Stefanki myth.

What commentator does not fawn over Fed?...the majority of them do it. I don't know if they hear themsleves gushing, but it is what it is...

Jenrios
05-15-2005, 10:25 PM
Is Reed the guy who used to do the ATP show voice overs in the mid 90s? If he was he definitely loved Rios.

He loved the image of the 'bad boy' Rios. He'd always say things like 'Rios looks like he wants to see him in the locker room afterwards'. So over-the-top. At the Aussie Open in 98, he made up a story that ran through the Rios/Bersatagui match - Bersatagui complained about a linesman, and Reed insistedhe was complaining about Rios bad-mouthing him in a point. Thing is, you could hear the dispute, and it was clearly about the linesman. The whole match, Reed was saying stuff like ' that incident has ignited this match', 'Berasatgui is furious with Rios', 'look at that glare', 'Rios better watch what he says' etc All because he didn't listen!

Then he thinks he's daring by saying stuff like this from last year 'Coria, best player on clay - what's your opinion?' Like The. Bleeding. Obvious.

buddyholly
05-15-2005, 10:39 PM
Then there is Goodall the man does obvious well, at least he can pronounce the place names right and that is something.

Do you ever wonder why, with so many Hispanic players on the tour, that most announcers do not have a clue as to where the accent goes or how to pronounce "ll".
It would be so easy to find someone to give them the basics and I think I would do it if I was going to be announcing, say Can-ass versus MOY-ya. Ugh!
I do speak Spanish, but have no idea how they mangle other languages.

Sjengster
05-15-2005, 10:41 PM
Yeah, you've got to love Gwillermo Cannas, a favourite of Eurosportnews presenters over here. But even funnier to my mind is the man who somehow manages to pronounce Ljubicic as Ljubicic - is he a friend of Roddick's, or something?

buddyholly
05-15-2005, 10:44 PM
Sorry sjengster, you already were getting in punches about pronunciation.

Action Jackson
05-16-2005, 10:34 AM
He loved the image of the 'bad boy' Rios. He'd always say things like 'Rios looks like he wants to see him in the locker room afterwards'. So over-the-top.

Yes, I was watching some of my old ATP tapes when Muster was dominating and Rios was just the new kids, he purred what an outrageous talent, he is making the ball talk and what great hands while these were true, the melodramatic manner of the delivery made me laugh no end.

Thanks for the AO story and I do remember Berasategui having a discussion with someone but it wasn't like that, not like some of the matches I have seen that are very heated.

Action Jackson
05-16-2005, 10:37 AM
Do you ever wonder why, with so many Hispanic players on the tour, that most announcers do not have a clue as to where the accent goes or how to pronounce "ll".
It would be so easy to find someone to give them the basics and I think I would do it if I was going to be announcing, say Can-ass versus MOY-ya. Ugh!
I do speak Spanish, but have no idea how they mangle other languages.

Yes, it's an international sport and it's far from difficult to get the names right I mean they have a phonetic pronounciation in the ATP guides, so they could just do it from there. I mean I don't speak Spanish, but at least I can get the names right or to a level that won't offfend people.

I mean names like Berasategui and Gorrochategui aren't the easiest but not that difficult. At least it makes for some amusing listening.

Jenrios
05-16-2005, 09:10 PM
he purred what an outrageous talent, he is making the ball talk and what great hands while these were true, the melodramatic manner of the delivery made me laugh no end.

LOL! That's Reed!

athie
05-16-2005, 10:15 PM
Bill Threlfall is to tennis on Sky Sports what Murray was to F1 :worship:

Agent X
05-16-2005, 10:52 PM
Bill Threlfall is to tennis on Sky Sports what Murray was to F1 :worship:

:haha: was that intended to be a joke.

athie
05-16-2005, 10:53 PM
:haha: was that intended to be a joke.
OI you :hug:
Bill rocks! He's the perfect gent :lol:

Agent X
05-16-2005, 11:01 PM
OI you :hug:
Bill rocks! He's the perfect gent :lol:

Bill is a grumpy old man :p

Petchey is a tennis legend. What a funny funny guy :worship:

Hagar
05-16-2005, 11:03 PM
Is he the old guy who is also doing Wimbledon? In that case, I like him. He sounds like such a nice, mildmannered man.

Agent X
05-16-2005, 11:07 PM
Is he the old guy who is also doing Wimbledon? In that case, I like him. He sounds like such a nice, mildmannered man.

Nah he doesn't do Wimbledon. You're probably thinking of the legendary Barry Davies. Or maybe David Mercer. Barry Davies would be my guess though, he's a top guy :D

Hagar
05-16-2005, 11:07 PM
You're sure KarstenBraasch#1 hadn't taken over the commentary booth by mistake?

HAHAHAHA!!!

In the case of KarstenBraasch#1 the commentary booth would not have been taken over by mistake, but ON PURPOSE!!!

:haha:

yonexforever
05-17-2005, 06:02 AM
Call me sensistive but hearing a grown man referred to as "boy" or a grown woman as "girl" smacks of old world imperialistic, colonialism.. and dare i say racism if directed at certain races!!.
But at the end of the day he seems to know the game.. a little sinsitivity though needs to reign.

Action Jackson
05-17-2005, 06:30 AM
Call me sensistive but hearing a grown man referred to as "boy" or a grown woman as "girl" smacks of old world imperialistic, colonialism.. and dare i say racism if directed at certain races!!.
But at the end of the day he seems to know the game.. a little sinsitivity though needs to reign.

You're sensitive.

Jenrios
05-17-2005, 05:36 PM
Threlfall does do Wimbledon - well, he has in the past.

*Ljubica*
05-17-2005, 06:03 PM
You're sensitive.

I agree. I am an adult woman and I have no objection to being called a "girl" -at all :)

And as for Bill Threlfall - he rocks - I love him - long may he commentate on Sky :worship:

Agent X
05-17-2005, 06:32 PM
And as for Bill Threlfall - he rocks - I love him - long may he commentate on Sky :worship:

:eek: don't say that. You know how Bailey keeps asking viewers to text in their views. I texted in saying will you tell Bill Threllfall to shutup and stop criticising players. Surprisingly it didn't get read out :p

Fumus
05-17-2005, 06:36 PM
50000x better than any commentators on ESPN. John Barret is my homeboy.

AlexNYR
05-17-2005, 06:52 PM
50000x better than any commentators on ESPN. John Barret is my homeboy.

no kidding...i was just thinking how im gonna miss these guys during the french cause all the american announcers are "safe" and dont rip the players the way these guys do....the only american announcers i like are brad gilbert (say what you like about the guy, but he is informative) and moriariu cause shees informative too, even though she also plays it safe...

*Ljubica*
05-17-2005, 06:54 PM
:eek: don't say that. You know how Bailey keeps asking viewers to text in their views. I texted in saying will you tell Bill Threllfall to shutup and stop criticising players. Surprisingly it didn't get read out :p

But I meant it - honestly! I really like old Bill - when he retires British TV commentary won't be the same. He's a one off - an original :)

Agent X
05-17-2005, 07:02 PM
But I meant it - honestly! I really like old Bill - when he retires British TV commentary won't be the same. He's a one off - an original :)

I can't believe I'm the only person that can't stand him. Everything about him annoys me :mad: He's not that original, people like Mercer and Barrett are pretty similar, old men with annoying voices :p

I always like it when Petchey and Cowan are in the commentary box together. They usually have a lot of banter and take the mick out of how bad they were as players.