Verkerk out of FO [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Verkerk out of FO

Tennis Fool
05-13-2005, 06:10 PM
May 12, 2005
Verkerk Pulls Out of French Open
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Filed at 12:36 p.m. ET

PARIS (AP) -- Martin Verkerk, the big-serving Dutchman who finished runner-up at the 2003 French Open, pulled out of this year's event Thursday with a shoulder injury.

Argentina's Edgardo Massa also has withdrawn with a sore shoulder. Australia's Scott Draper and Sweden's Thomas Enqvist will be their replacements.

Two years ago, an unseeded Verkerk lost the final 6-1, 6-3, 6-2 to Spain's Juan Carlos Ferrero.

Australia's Alicia Molik has pulled out of the women's draw with an ear infection and will be replaced by countrywoman Evie Dominikovic.

Organizers at Roland Garros also announced the tournament's wild-card entrants Thursday. France's Thierry Ascione, Julien Benneteau, Arnaud Clement, Gael Monfils, Florent Serra and Gilles Simon were selected along with Peter Luczak of Australia. The eighth wild card will be chosen later.

In the women's draw, France's Mailyne Andrieux, Alize Cornet, Yulia Fedossova, Mathilde Johansson, Pauline Parmentier, Camille Pin, Aravane Rezai and Australia's Sophie Ferguson were added as wild cards.

The clay-court Grand Slam tournament begins May 23.

Neely
05-13-2005, 06:26 PM
Verkerk had so much bad luck the last months, last year.... damn, I hope he is back as soon as possible (whenever it will finally be), I like him very much, I mis him a lot!

Aleksa's Laydee
05-13-2005, 07:35 PM
:awww: martin :sad: :sad: get better soon :)

NATAS81
05-13-2005, 07:43 PM
That's a tough blow for him.

I will miss his hopping, skipping, and jumping around on court antics.

joeb_uk
05-13-2005, 07:54 PM
Poor guy, he has so much bad luck :eek:

Nastase
05-13-2005, 10:38 PM
Don't know if you have this phrase in english but Verkerk in Spain is what we call "flor de un día" or "to be short-lived". It's amazing what these suspect colored drinks can make to some players

Nastase
05-13-2005, 10:39 PM
:devil: :devil: :devil: :devil:

Carlita
05-14-2005, 11:34 AM
I will miss his hopping, skipping, and jumping around on court antics.I won't..... sorry....:rolleyes: *got some personal issues with mister Verkerk....* that's why...

It's no good he's hurt, no one needs to be hurt....but I just won't miss him on the tenniscourts....

joeb_uk
05-14-2005, 12:10 PM
What are your issues?