Christophe Rochus def. Juan I. Chela 3-6, 6-0, 6-3 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Christophe Rochus def. Juan I. Chela 3-6, 6-0, 6-3

*Viva Chile*
05-13-2005, 05:58 PM
Seems to a WTA score :lol:

But congrats Christophe! :banana: for your first MS SF

jackieglover
05-13-2005, 05:59 PM
He's on a tear :eek:

savesthedizzle
05-13-2005, 06:02 PM
Christophe played great those last two sets :yeah: good luck to him in the semis!

lucashg
05-13-2005, 06:02 PM
I was thinking the same, such a WTA score :lol:

I only watched from the end of first set and beginning of the third and Rochus really deserved it! It amazes me how good his dropshots are! :eek: He also has such a nice game plan, and an all-around game (except his serve). Keep it up!

User id 7816
05-13-2005, 06:09 PM
since Rochus beat Gaudio y'day and I didnt see it I thought I'll watch today, uh man he played so well and was totally over Chela on the 2nd, and most of the 3rd sets....he's got a real feel for the drop shots, dont think even Coria's been winning so many pts from this lately...great fight and great tourney for him!

Jorge
05-13-2005, 06:16 PM
congratulations Christophe, Keep surprising us :yeah:

BelgianWaffle
05-13-2005, 06:16 PM
:eek: Every night when I log on there's a thread 'christophe rochus defeats...' :lol:

:banana:

BelgianGirl
05-13-2005, 06:25 PM
Great win for Christophe!! :D

I hope he'll reach the final now. :bounce:

jazz_girl
05-13-2005, 07:16 PM
Juan :sad:

Aleksa's Laydee
05-13-2005, 07:34 PM
:D:D well done christophe

Allez-H˛
05-13-2005, 07:35 PM
Chris you're amazing me :eek:

jayrhum
05-13-2005, 07:37 PM
:worship: The drop-shot master :worship:
Should be a nice match to watch against Gasquet.

NATAS81
05-13-2005, 07:42 PM
Chela hasn't done anything spectacular this year.

Everyone thinks he's a lock for R32 and beyond at every tourney because he's ESP/ARG/CHI.

KarstenBraasch#1
05-13-2005, 07:49 PM
Yes! :D

Hagar
05-13-2005, 08:12 PM
Did Ollie - normally the better player of the two bro's - ever reach a Tennis Masters semi?
This is one awesome run for Christophe! :worship:
Way to go!!!
What will his ranking be?

Verve
05-13-2005, 08:16 PM
He'll be #48 :eek: :worship: Thumbs up he can still go a few places better than that ;)

Hagar
05-13-2005, 10:23 PM
He'll be #48 :eek: :worship: Thumbs up he can still go a few places better than that ;)

HOLY COW!!! He will enter the top 50! Man, Ollie must start to feel the hot breath of his brother in his neck.
THREE Belgian men in the top 50. Wow, wow, wow. :eek:
Hopefully some TV-channel will show that match in Brussels/Belgium.

tennischick
05-13-2005, 10:25 PM
:eek: Christophe!

i stayed up til 3am just to watch the replay of his match against Gaudio. i love the way that he allows nothing to unfocus him. Gaudio kept screaming and carrying on and smashing rackets -- and Christophe did not even look over in his direction. he just calmly went about playing his game.

so i'm not surprised that he spanked Chela. go Christophe! :worship:

Hagar
05-13-2005, 10:42 PM
I want him to reach the final and play Federer!

mitalidas
05-13-2005, 10:46 PM
gasquet is going to have his hands full
I dont think its going to be trivial for gasq to win his semis

switz
05-13-2005, 11:58 PM
i don't think even christophe's biggest fan would even have hoped he would make the semis when this tournament started. i remember he made the fourth round of the australian open a while ago and i was at the match where from memory he lost to kafelnikov pretty easily.

well done.

Sjengster
05-14-2005, 12:26 AM
An object lesson in how you should never underestimate your opponent. To be honest Chela was playing pretty slack and careless tennis right from the outset, he had an early break and lost serve to love and only ended up winning the first set because Rochus seemed to run out of ideas. When he went behind an early break in the second, it still seemed as though he thought he would come back and win comfortably; it was only when he was 5-0 down and Rochus was killing him with a slew of perfectly executed dropshots that he started to realise he was in trouble, and by the time he got back into the match he had lost eight games in a row. I feared that massive game at 2-0 where Rochus blew about half a dozen game points and was broken back would be a complete momentum swing, but it didn't turn out to be as he once again imposed his aggressive style and came out the deserved winner.

Chela got what he deserved for playing far too passively, in many ways Rochus' harrying style was similar to Henman's yesterday and it had similar success. As my commentators kept pointing out, the Argentine stands way too far back both on returns and in rallies, opening up the angles for Rochus to take the early ball, move in and finish points at the net. There were only a few points in the third set where he stepped up and got enough depth and spin on the ball to push Rochus back, otherwise he was just putting it in the middle of the court and allowing the little man to dictate. Great win for the elder brother, surpassing Olivier's QF achievement here two years ago, and I cling to the irrational hope that he can make it to the final. I want to hear the commentators discuss that Federer-Rochus TMS final, LOL; perhaps the greatest mismatch in the history of major tournaments, but it would be something to remember for Christophe.

Ruski
05-14-2005, 03:22 AM
Amazing run by Christophe!!!! Hope it continues!!!!
Good luck in the semi!!! :yeah:

gsm
05-14-2005, 05:01 AM
roger/christophe final , please let it be.

Exodus
05-14-2005, 10:32 AM
come on Rochus go and kick that kid's ass