Roger Federer d. Guillermo Coria 6-4, 7-6(3) [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Roger Federer d. Guillermo Coria 6-4, 7-6(3)

Raquel
05-13-2005, 02:43 PM
Really enjoyable match and Roger played some brilliant tennis :) Looked very comfortable on the clay against Coria.

Take the title Roger :yeah:

Geniey2g
05-13-2005, 02:45 PM
YES!!

More Vcash for me!! :D:D:D

oneandonlyhsn
05-13-2005, 02:45 PM
Sweet win, Roger now take the title

Rogiman
05-13-2005, 02:46 PM
Great win! :yeah:

Puts him right there in the exclusive group of Roland Garros contenders - not that it means anything judging by previous years...

makro120
05-13-2005, 02:46 PM
Soon he will be ahead of hewitt in the top 5 clay ranking! :D

-wokkel-
05-13-2005, 02:47 PM
Guille.. :sad:

SwissMister1
05-13-2005, 02:48 PM
ALLEZ!

mitalidas
05-13-2005, 02:48 PM
and now, let the excuses begin....

~EMiLiTA~
05-13-2005, 02:49 PM
well done Rogi!!! :yeah:

dante
05-13-2005, 02:49 PM
Hope to see Federer vs Gasquet again.

Rogiman
05-13-2005, 02:50 PM
Frankly, it's better for Coria to rest now...

lucashg
It was really enjoyable and full of great shots, especially by Roger. Coria played well, but I guess it's a bad match-up for him, he did have his chance when he tried to be more agressive and mainly when Roger seemed to have lost a bit of his focus after that "time-off", but he missed some easy shots and Roger woke up again. Great tennis!

Take the title, Fed!

Neely
Good match from Federer

:sad: for Coria, but I hope he is ready for the French Open then.

NINA_BCN
:worship: Well Done Roger!!!!!!!!!! :worship:

Rogiman
Hope to see Federer vs Gasquet again.

Not if you're a Gasquet fan :devil:

mitalidas
05-13-2005, 02:51 PM
anyone who watched the match, can you give me some details?
was guille with a lot of UEs? Or just being outmaneuvred by Rog? Stats?

Deboogle!.
05-13-2005, 02:52 PM
was guille with a lot of UEs? Or just being outmaneuvred by Rog? Stats?IMO a little of both - his forehand really let him down at big moments and he played a HORRIBLE service game when he was serving for the first set. But on the other hand, Roger was playing great and also forcing him into errors.

Raquel
05-13-2005, 02:52 PM
Roger hit 42 winners so he was playing well. It was a high quality match I thought.

richard gasquet
05-13-2005, 02:53 PM
Not if you're a Gasquet fan :devil:

I would like, thats would means that richard has reached the finale :)

not yet.Seppi first. :angel:

lucashg
05-13-2005, 02:53 PM
and now, let the excuses begin....

Coria being tired is a very plausible excuse for all the matches he has played the last few weeks, but he didn't seem that tired in this match. The commentators said he did, maybe I didn't notice.

I hope he pulls out of WTC, he needs to rest for RG.

DanEd
05-13-2005, 02:54 PM

stats
Federer: 42 winners, 23 unforced errors.
Coria: 16 winners,15 unforced errors.

jazz_girl
05-13-2005, 02:54 PM
Nice match. But it's a good result for Guillermo, this way he has more time to rest now ;)

Rogiman
05-13-2005, 02:55 PM
I would like, thats would means that richard has reached the finale :)

not yet.Seppi first. :angel:

I was joking, and I would LOVE Richard to make the final!

jazz_girl
05-13-2005, 02:55 PM
Coria being tired is a very plausible excuse for all the matches he has played the last few weeks, but he didn't seem that tired in this match. The commentators said he did, maybe I didn't notice.

He said he was gonna be there, but he just might play a doubles match.

NYCtennisfan
05-13-2005, 02:56 PM
42 winners, 23 unforced errors

Those are tremendous numbers against Coria on a slow red clay.

lucashg
IMO a little of both - his forehand really let him down at big moments and he played a HORRIBLE service game when he was serving for the first set. But on the other hand, Roger was playing great and also forcing him into errors.

*second set.

Yes, a little bit of both:

Federer
42 winners
20 unforced errors

Coria
16 winners
15 unforced errors

Coria hits more errors as he tries to be more agressive and that's exactly what happened in the beginning/middle of the second set. 9 of his errors happened in the second set. Roger had 10 in each set.

Art&Soul
Bravo ROGI, you're just too good for Coria on Clay :D

lucashg
05-13-2005, 02:58 PM
Oops, 23 alright. 1st set: 10, 2nd: 13.

Well, I guess a doubles match for Coria wouldn't hurt him.

mitalidas

if he is that tired, why was he playing this tourney? its not like he needed clay practice --- he has played the last 3 clay tournaments.

It's tough to have it both ways. If you're so fatigued, you should be resting especially just before the FO. If you're not that tired, then fatigue is not a reason to be losing

onewoman74
good win fed!

willie
05-13-2005, 02:59 PM
coria:rolleyes:

DanEd
05-13-2005, 02:59 PM
23 unforced errors not 20. I remember very well
*second set.

Federer
42 winners
20 unforced errors

Coria
16 winners
15 unforced errors

Coria hits more errors as he tries to be more agressive and that's exactly what happened in the beginning/middle of the second set. 9 of his errors happened in the second set. Roger had 10 in each set.

mitalidas
05-13-2005, 03:00 PM
*second set.

Federer
42 winners
20 unforced errors

Coria
16 winners
15 unforced errors

Incredible
I am actually surprised that the scoreline is so close, given these stats.
If I saw these stats, I would think " 6-4 6-3" win

User ID 4783
05-13-2005, 03:01 PM
Roger :woohoo:

mitalidas
05-13-2005, 03:03 PM
Next up davydenko
Rog takes a 5-0 lead into this match, but Davydenko has always played him close

2005 Rotterdam, Hard, Q
The Netherlands Hard Q Federer 7 5 7 5
2005 Doha, Hard, S
Qatar Hard S Federer 6 3 6 4
2004 Athens Olympics, Hard, R64
Greece Hard R64 Federer 6 3 5 7 6 1
2004 Miami AMS, Hard, R64
FL, U.S.A. Hard R64 Federer 6 2 3 6 7 5
2002 Milan, Carpet, R16
Italy Carpet R16 Federer 6 3 6 7 7 5

lucashg
05-13-2005, 03:05 PM
23 unforced errors not 20. I remember very well

See my previous post.

Incredible
I am actually surprised that the scoreline is so close, given these stats.
If I saw these stats, I would think " 6-4 6-3" win

Great stats, I thought we might actually see a three-setter as Roger seemed a bit off during the middle of the second set, but he got it all together and managed to break Coria when he was serving for the set (you can also say Coria handed to him that game) and stepped up at right times in the tie-break.

There were some really incredible games in this match. I loved it. :angel:

PaulieM
05-13-2005, 03:06 PM
sorry guille:hug: but yay fed!!! :yippee:

lucashg
05-13-2005, 03:07 PM
Next up davydenko

2005 Rotterdam, Hard, Q
The Netherlands Hard Q Federer 7 5 7 5
2005 Doha, Hard, S
Qatar Hard S Federer 6 3 6 4
2004 Athens Olympics, Hard, R64
Greece Hard R64 Federer 6 3 5 7 6 1
2004 Miami AMS, Hard, R64
FL, U.S.A. Hard R64 Federer 6 2 3 6 7 5
2002 Milan, Carpet, R16
Italy Carpet R16 Federer 6 3 6 7 7 5

If both players play the level they did today, Roger will bagel him. :p
I hope he can pull this one out, it's gonna be tough as Davydenko is also good on clay, but I'll give Roger the edge.

Rogiman
05-13-2005, 03:08 PM
Next up davydenko

Indeed, and although Davy's performance today was somewhat shaky he still managed to defeat a good claycourter in straights, so it's not gonna be a walk in the park.

lucashg
05-13-2005, 03:12 PM
Indeed, and although Davy's performance today was somewhat shaky he still managed to defeat a good claycourter in straights, so it's not gonna be a walk in the park.

Yes, I agree that it's not gonna be a walk in the park but Volandri played a horrible match today, as did Davydenko. It was the less worse player who won instead of the bad, that can't be a good thing for Davydenko (hopefully :p ).

alexito
05-13-2005, 03:16 PM
buuuuuuuuuuuuu coria
if you no win in clay, you are very bad.
nadal had winning to federer very easy.
nadal is the real king in clay

VingaRafel
05-13-2005, 03:21 PM
Yeeiiihh... Rogerrrrrr!!! Ma boy! Ma boy!! Great match! Who said Roger can't win RG?

nermo
05-13-2005, 03:26 PM
well, i better get used to hearing it. :cuckoo: ..Coria lost two times a week

i think..Coria should just keep quiet and try to get some rest For RG before a disaster happens...though iam sure tiredness was not the only reason today
if it was a reason at all.. :confused:

King Federer...Well Done. :bigclap: :bigclap: ..u really deserve the best.. :yeah:

mitalidas
05-13-2005, 03:27 PM

can someone translate this for me ?
nadal hasn't beaten Fed on clay
nadal hasn't played Fed on clay
so what is this person trying his or her level best to communicate??

Julio1974
05-13-2005, 03:32 PM
[QUOTE=mitalidas]can someone translate this for me ?
nadal hasn't beaten Fed on clay
nadal hasn't played Fed on clay
so what is this person trying his or her level best to communicate??[/QUOT

I asked myself the same question...

Rogiman
05-13-2005, 03:34 PM
buuuuuuuuuuuuu coria

Clay troll shows great eloquence once again :rolleyes:

Julio1974
05-13-2005, 03:34 PM
well, i better get used to hearing it. :cuckoo: ..Coria lost two times a week

i think..Coria should just keep quiet and try to get some rest For RG before a disaster happens...though iam sure tiredness was not the only reason today
if it was a reason at all.. :confused:

King Federer...Well Done. :bigclap: :bigclap: ..u really deserve the best.. :yeah:

I don't think tiredness was an issue. The fact is that Federer is one step above Coria. That does not mean he cannot beat Federer in a good day, but it is gonna be very very difficult. Maybe in RG will be different... Who knows?

*Ljubica*
05-13-2005, 03:36 PM
if he is that tired, why was he playing this tourney? its not like he needed clay practice --- he has played the last 3 clay tournaments.

It's tough to have it both ways. If you're so fatigued, you should be resting especially just before the FO. If you're not that tired, then fatigue is not a reason to be losing

Well Coria certainly looked tired today though that is not an excuse - Roger played better than him and deserved to win. I really cannot understand why Coria is playing WTC after reaching two consecutive Masters' Finals, and the quarters in Hamburg - that is a hell of a lot of tennis and he risks making himself totally exhausted before RG. It would never surprise me to see him pull out.

I thoroughly enjoyed the match today - and many congrats to Roger - he lost concentration a little in the middle of the 2nd set but came back strong in the end.

Julio1974
05-13-2005, 03:37 PM
Well Coria certainly looked tired today though that is not an excuse - Roger played better than him and deserved to win. I really cannot understand why Coria is playing WTC after reaching two consecutive Masters' Finals, and the quarters in Hamburg - that is a hell of a lot of tennis and he risks making himself totally exhausted before RG. It would never surprise me to see him pull out.

I thoroughly enjoyed the match today - and many congrats to Roger - he lost concentration a little in the middle of the 2nd set but came back strong in the end.

Coria said he needed the points to be seeeded at least 8 for RG...

Rogiman
05-13-2005, 03:38 PM
Rosie, since when are you worried about Coria making mistakes...? :devil:

Adman
Lets hope that Richard gets to the final it will be so sweet: Federer - Gasquet!!

Rogiman
Coria said he needed the points to be seeeded at least 8 for RG...

He can't gain any points at WTC :shrug:

mitalidas
05-13-2005, 03:40 PM
Well Coria certainly looked tired today though that is not an excuse - Roger played better than him and deserved to win. I really cannot understand why Coria is playing WTC after reaching two consecutive Masters' Finals, and the quarters in Hamburg .
what??
Coria is playing somethign else after this and before the FO???
he is going to self destruct before the FO

Julio1974
05-13-2005, 03:41 PM
He can't gain any points at WTC :shrug:

I thought Rosie had said she did not undertand why Coria was playing Hamburg.. My mistake..

nermo
05-13-2005, 03:41 PM
I don't think tiredness was an issue. The fact is that Federer is one step above Coria. That does not mean he cannot beat Federer in a good day, but it is gonna be very very difficult. Maybe in RG will be different... Who knows? posted by Julio

julio dear, i know that at this moment we almost share tha same feeling..
but take an advise...dont get so high about a different RG..itll be easier for u ;)

Julio1974
05-13-2005, 03:43 PM
posted by Julio

julio dear, i know that at this moment we almost share tha same feeling..
but take an advise...dont get so high about a different RG..itll be easier for u ;)

I know, but hope is the last thing to lose... I still believe in miracles!!

*Ljubica*
05-13-2005, 03:44 PM
I thought Rosie had said she did not undertand why Coria was playing Hamburg.. My mistake..

Yes - I was talking about WTC in Dusseldorf that doesn't carry any points - sorry if I confused you Julio.

And Rogiman - don't worry - I'm not worried about Coria making mistakes - personally I would love to see him lose 1st round at RG :devil: - I was merely making a comment about his scheduling and how it seems a little strange to me! But Perlas is a great coach so I guess he knows exactly what he's doing so who are we to question him?

Julio1974
05-13-2005, 03:47 PM
Yes - I was talking about WTC in Dusseldorf that doesn't carry any points - sorry if I confused you Julio.

And Rogiman - don't worry - I'm not worried about Coria making mistakes - personally I would love to see him lose 1st round at RG :devil: - I was merely making a comment about his scheduling and how it seems a little strange to me! But Perlas is a great coach so I guess he knows exactly what he's doing so who are we to question him?

Rosie

Don't you think that David would have benefited from playing in Dusseldorf? He has played so little in the last weeks...

Skyward
05-13-2005, 03:48 PM
buuuuuuuuuuuuu coria

can someone translate this for me ?
so what is this person trying his or her level best to communicate??

The translation is obvious- http://www.assklown.net/smileys/signs/Poop.gif

For some unknown reason he feels it's his obligation to ruin every topic about a certain player.

Rogiman
I know, but hope is the last thing to lose... I still believe in miracles!!

I still give Coria a better chance to win Roland Garros than Federer, I don't think it'll take a miracle.
As we saw last year Federer will first need to get himself in a position to meet Coria, who'll most likely make it to the later stages of the tournament.

nermo
I still believe in miracles!! posted by julio

perfect fighter!! :yeah: ;)

*Ljubica*
05-13-2005, 03:54 PM
Rosie

Don't you think that David would have benefited from playing in Dusseldorf? He has played so little in the last weeks...

Personally - no. In fact although I was thrilled for David to win the Munich tournament, I think playing there definately damanged his chances in Rome as he had to readjust to the conditions and play his 1st round in Rome less than 48 hours after the Munich final. Too much tennis can be equally as damaging as too little, and David has been practising hard these last two weeks - I've been at all his sessions until I came home yesterday.

I guess if Coria does pull out of WTC then David might be approached - last week my own understanding of the situation was that if this happened they would not accept the offer - but things can change every day in tennis, so if he was asked today his views may have changed but I doubt it!

Exodus
05-13-2005, 03:59 PM
Roger is a strong contender for the FO title there's no doubt about that. Coria won't win FO this year or maybe ever when he gets older.

nermo
05-13-2005, 04:07 PM
For some unknown reason he feels it's his obligation to ruin every topic about certain player.
:haha: :haha:

well seriously talking..Federer is getting better and better on clay..from scores i get the feeling he s playing easy and effortlessly as he s used to on other surfaces..which means much more amusement and different Rg for him

as for Coria..not even sure if hes going to reach late rounds if hes going to play WTA..thats too much effort, just needs some rest and some self evaluation resetting ..(thats a big word :confused: )
any way...i wish them Best of luck

mangoes
05-13-2005, 04:13 PM
It was a very nice match. I am happy Roger won.

ugotlobbed
05-13-2005, 04:17 PM
the most important part of this match is that...Roger won in 2...and it shows that if Roger played good in RG....it will be RF VS NADAL.....who knows....wat im saying is....hes better than coria....even on clay....proven 2x

MissMoJo
05-13-2005, 05:04 PM
:banana: Rogi :bigclap:
Oh Guille...:awww:

lucashg
05-13-2005, 05:09 PM
as for Coria..not even sure if hes going to reach late rounds if hes going to play WTA..thats too much effort, just needs some rest and some self evaluation resetting ..(thats a big word :confused: )
any way...i wish them Best of luck

He definitely needs some self-evaluation resetting if he is playing WTA. :lol: I know he dresses the same as Alicia Molik, but CMON. :p Just kidding.

Well, I hope he pulls out, he can't risk running out of gas in early rounds in RG if he is to have any chance of winning it (which we all know he has). Best of luck to him indeed! Vamos Guille! :)

daze11
05-13-2005, 05:15 PM
I still give Coria a better chance to win Roland Garros than Federer, I don't think it'll take a miracle.
As we saw last year Federer will first need to get himself in a position to meet Coria, who'll most likely make it to the later stages of the tournament.yes, guille can't be too disappointed by this--whether there was stil some fatigue preventing him to dig as deep again as he would need to, right after that effort in rome, or whether his nerves caused the letdowns on service at 4-5 in the first and at 6-5 in the 2nd, he definitely was not up to it on this day. Federer played as well as he can and coria played ok and then poorly under pressure, so I doubt he would see this as representative of their h2h possibilities.

If Fed plays that well against anyone, he will win and probably by more convincing scores. He's not "better than coria on clay"--he's just better than everybody at everything when he's rolling large. But VERY GOOD effort for coria, all in all, for the tournament though--first 3 rounds were very sharp.

Regarding 'playing for points', yes, he wants a top 8 seeding at roland garros, and had 'finalist' points to defend here, so it was worth getting at least to the quarters and then getting a rest before the next event.

Jorge
05-13-2005, 05:24 PM
Thank you, thank you so much, Roger! :worship:

daze11
05-13-2005, 05:29 PM
well, i better get used to hearing it. :cuckoo: ..Coria lost two times a week he is one of the five best players in the world and doesn't need excuses about losing to other top five calibre players like fed & nadal, does he? :shrug: he's doing great. its not like anyone walks in "expecting" to beat roger federer...you "hope" but that's a very different thing.

shaoyu
05-13-2005, 06:03 PM
http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=sportsNews&storyID=8487953

Federer fires French Open warning

By Bill Barclay

HAMBURG, Germany (Reuters) - Roger Federer fired a warning to his French Open rivals with an assured straight-sets victory over claycourt specialist Guillermo Coria at the Hamburg Masters Friday.

The world number one won their quarter-final 6-4 7-6 despite being a break down in both sets and is looking in fine fettle 10 days before the start of Roland Garros, the only grand slam he has yet to win.

"All in all I'm very happy," the Swiss top seed told reporters. "It's a message from me to the other guys for the French Open. I beat him quite convincingly in the end I thought.

"This is definitely a good step. It always helps to beat top claycourt players. They are the specialists, this is their favorite surface and it's the one I play on the least so it's a big win for me.

"I feel I'm back to very good form on clay," added the defending champion, who plays Russian Nikolay Davydenko in the Hamburg semi-finals.

Coria, together with in-form Spanish teen-ager Rafael Nadal, is likely to be one of the biggest threats to Federer in Paris.

He lost to the Swiss in the Hamburg final last year, however, and the way he crumbled at the Rothenbaum suggested the Argentine has a psychological barrier to overcome if he is to beat Federer.

"I had my chances, especially serving at 5-4 in the second set but the game was played at such high intensity," Coria said. "It was a shame I didn't take my chances. Today I feel it was almost impossible to beat Federer."

TIRED CORIA

Coria, who lost to Nadal in the finals of both the Monte Carlo and Rome Masters events in the past month, admitted his schedule had caught up with him.

"Obviously he plays incredible tennis but the truth is it is impossible to play back-to-back Masters Series at such high intensity," he said. "He came here much fresher than me.

"I'm tired mentally and physically. If you are not 100 percent against Federer it's pretty much impossible to beat him."

Despite acknowledging Federer's brilliance, Coria said he did not believe the world number one, who has never been beyond the fourth round at the French Open, was favorite for the claycourt grand slam in Paris.

"Nadal on clay I think is stronger than Federer," said last year's French Open runner-up.

nermo
05-13-2005, 06:34 PM
he is one of the five best players in the world and doesn't need excuses about losing to other top five calibre players like fed & nadal, does he? he's doing great. its not like anyone walks in "expecting" to beat roger federer...you "hope" but that's a very different thing. posted by Daze

i know he is one of the best players...and being defeated by Federer or Nadal doesnt need excuses..but i strongly Believe the guy has to get relaxed at big points thats his major problem right now..and ofcourse i wish him the best..cuz i believe he deserves better results with this kind of talent and effort so i am just praying he could improve himself on the psychological stuff thats all..we dont disagree after all i guess

NATAS81
05-13-2005, 06:43 PM
Coria hasn't been so hot in tiebreakers for whatever reason.

I expected this to go the distance.

Federer hands Coria his first straight set clay loss of 2005.

More outstanding concentration and focus on every court surface by Roger.

Adam Thirnis
05-13-2005, 06:46 PM
he is one of the five best players in the world and doesn't need excuses about losing to other top five calibre players like fed & nadal, does he? :shrug: he's doing great. its not like anyone walks in "expecting" to beat roger federer...you "hope" but that's a very different thing.

Coria is top 5 on clay but certainly not on any other surface.

oneandonlyhsn
05-13-2005, 07:02 PM
buuuuuuuuuuuuu coria

yay, the troll is back :rolleyes:

Chloe le Bopper
05-13-2005, 07:16 PM
Blah. Roger threads bore me. Especially ones like this that are EXACTLY what I predicted them to be. Except for the amused part... it's too predictable to be amusing at the moment.

Of course Roger won. I resolved that yesterday. I'm glad to see that the rest of you have caught up :yeah:

Federerhingis
05-13-2005, 07:26 PM
Great win! :yeah:

Puts him right there in the exclusive group of Roland Garros contenders - not that it means anything judging by previous years...

I know unfortunately, its never the same winning a masters on clay and comparing it to the real deal Roland. However we can hope, at least he's looking in better shape on clay and finding his range.

Nonetheless excellent win, this should give him some confidence for the rest of the tournie. :D :yeah:

Federerhingis
05-13-2005, 07:40 PM
yes, guille can't be too disappointed by this--whether there was stil some fatigue preventing him to dig as deep again as he would need to, right after that effort in rome, or whether his nerves caused the letdowns on service at 4-5 in the first and at 6-5 in the 2nd, he definitely was not up to it on this day. Federer played as well as he can and coria played ok and then poorly under pressure, so I doubt he would see this as representative of their h2h possibilities.

If Fed plays that well against anyone, he will win and probably by more convincing scores. He's not "better than coria on clay"--he's just better than everybody at everything when he's rolling large. But VERY GOOD effort for coria, all in all, for the tournament though--first 3 rounds were very sharp.

Regarding 'playing for points', yes, he wants a top 8 seeding at roland garros, and had 'finalist' points to defend here, so it was worth getting at least to the quarters and then getting a rest before the next event.

Very nice comments! I really do agree that irregardless of the winning H2H on clay, Coria is still far more comfortable and naturally adjusted on clay than Fed is. Which goes to say how great a player Federer is, because despite it not being his favorite surface he can still beat a player whos far more comfortable on this particular surface and perhaps more accomplished and he's still able to beat him. Nevertheless, Coria wasnt playing at his very best, so that still gives him hopes to continue having success at Roland.

However, the good thing out of all of this is that Federer as an outcome is feeling a lot more comfortable on clay and perhaps is finding his range on this surface, which is always a welcomed news. :D :D

tennischick
05-13-2005, 08:20 PM
i left home while this match was still on this morning and let me tell you Federer was looking gooooooooood. can't wait to see the replay later. ;)

jazz_girl
05-13-2005, 08:22 PM
Personally - no. In fact although I was thrilled for David to win the Munich tournament, I think playing there definately damanged his chances in Rome as he had to readjust to the conditions and play his 1st round in Rome less than 48 hours after the Munich final. Too much tennis can be equally as damaging as too little, and David has been practising hard these last two weeks - I've been at all his sessions until I came home yesterday.

I guess if Coria does pull out of WTC then David might be approached - last week my own understanding of the situation was that if this happened they would not accept the offer - but things can change every day in tennis, so if he was asked today his views may have changed but I doubt it!
Just two days ago, Coria said on tv that he gave his word to the organizer of the WTC and that he would be there, even if that means just to play one doubles match. So if he's too tired, I guess he will play just one match. Cañas and Gaudio confirmed the would be playing, and I heard Etlis was gonna join them as well.

robinhood
05-13-2005, 08:51 PM
Great win, Fed. Keep it up!

Nastase
05-13-2005, 09:10 PM
It will be a pleasure to see a Federer-Gasquet final, for me those two players got the most elegant tennis in the circuit.

nermo
05-13-2005, 09:53 PM
It will be a pleasure to see a Federer-Gasquet final

:yeah: that would be interesting

Billabong
05-13-2005, 09:54 PM
Awesome Rogi:worship: I'm glad I taped the match:yeah: Well done Rogi, continue:D!!!

Carolinita
05-14-2005, 12:13 AM
well done Fed :yeah:

Fergie
05-14-2005, 01:02 AM
Well done Rogi, now take the title! :yeah:

WyveN
05-14-2005, 01:33 AM
Good win for Federer but still has quite a bit to prove on clay. As I said yesterday as good as Coria is on clay Federer is a bad matchup for him as Guillemo doesn't really have the power to consistently trouble Federer and has to rely on him having a bad day.

Plenty of times in the match yesterday Coria would construct the point well and have Roger on the back foot but just didnt have the power to finish the point off and eventually Roger would get a swing on a forehand and turn the point from defense to offense.

Rogiman
05-14-2005, 01:36 AM
Good win for Federer but still has quite a bit to prove on clay. As I said yesterday as good as Coria is on clay Federer is a bad matchup for Coria as Guillemo doesn't really have the power to consistently trouble Federer and has to rely on him having a bad day.

Roddick is every bit the powerful player Roger is and I bet he wouldn't stand a chance against Coria even if he played out of his mind.

Federerhingis
05-14-2005, 02:15 AM
Roddick is every bit the powerful player Roger is and I bet he wouldn't stand a chance against Coria even if he played out of his mind.

A peek or near peek Coria on clay would drive Roddick insane with his game on red clay. and Roddick has a bigger forehand and serve than Federers.

Federerhingis
05-14-2005, 02:17 AM
It will be a pleasure to see a Federer-Gasquet final, for me those two players got the most elegant tennis in the circuit.

No doubt about it! :yeah: Both are such great shot makers, Gasquets backhand is a lot more powerful but Federers can be just as lethal and smooth. :worship:

NYCtennisfan
05-14-2005, 02:20 AM
Blah. Roger threads bore me. Especially ones like this that are EXACTLY what I predicted them to be. Except for the amused part... it's too predictable to be amusing at the moment.

Then why post if they bore you? Best just to let them go by, no?

WyveN
05-14-2005, 02:44 AM

Where did I talk about Rogers power? I was talking about Corias lack of power to finish points off and it is something you need to beat Roger if his playing well as his 2 losses this year show.

Sjengster
05-14-2005, 02:49 AM
Yes, Roddick is hardly relevant to this discussion; he's not the man Federer has to worry about if he's to make it into the second week at RG at last and actually get to meet the other major contenders for the title.

After a shaky start it was a great performance from Federer up till 6-4, 3-2, but then that interruption disturbed his rhythm and he was very fortunate to benefit from a display of fatigue/tanking by Coria that resulted in some wild errors, when he served for the second set and later in the tiebreak. When Federer double faulted to go 3-2 down in the breaker and screamed at himself, there was every indication that he was on the verge of crumbling had it gone to a third set, but Coria then gifted him the next two points with some massive forehand errors over the baseline that had to be partly tanked, they were so uncharacteristic of him. I think the final point summed up the match well: Coria hit a decent length second serve, Federer snapped a huge forehand return winner to claim the match and Coria threw his racket towards it as it went past him, as if to say, "Look, I can still get my racket on whatever you hit!" LOL, he is a miserly competitor all right.

Chloe le Bopper
05-14-2005, 02:51 AM
Then why post if they bore you? Best just to let them go by, no?
Because I was bored. Obivously.

I never claimed to be a bundle of excitement myself.

gsm
05-14-2005, 04:13 AM
and Coria threw his racket towards it as it went past him, as if to say, "Look, I can still get my racket on whatever you hit!" LOL, he is a miserly competitor all right.
IMO all of weazels characteristics are "miserly".

NYCtennisfan
05-14-2005, 04:30 AM
Because I was bored. Obivously.

I never claimed to be a bundle of excitement myself.

LOL! Fair enough. :)

uNIVERSE mAN
05-14-2005, 04:31 AM
the most important part of this match is that...Roger won in 2...and it shows that if Roger played good in RG....it will be RF VS NADAL.....who knows....wat im saying is....hes better than coria....even on clay....proven 2x

There are two considerations when you try to decide if one player is better than another on a surface. One is their results head to head, the other is their results against all other players.

On that note, I would say that Roger is a better player than Coria head to head against him on clay, but Coria is a better player against the rest of the tour overall on clay right now. I think a lot of this comes down to patience and sustained interest in long matches, i.e. fewer let-downs.

Still, I'm a huge Rogi fan all the same. Good luck to him for RG.

Truc
05-14-2005, 08:55 AM
I think the final point summed up the match well: Coria hit a decent length second serve, Federer snapped a huge forehand return winner to claim the match and Coria threw his racket towards it as it went past him, as if to say, "Look, I can still get my racket on whatever you hit!" LOL, he is a miserly competitor all right.
Sorry, this is just too ridiculous. If you really want to see any meaning in this gesture, it was just: "OK, too good, I'm beaten".
Coria acted completely normal at the end of the match, there was nothing wrong with the way he took this loss.

Action Jackson
05-14-2005, 08:59 AM
http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=sportsNews&storyID=8487953

Despite acknowledging Federer's brilliance, Coria said he did not believe the world number one, who has never been beyond the fourth round at the French Open, was favorite for the claycourt grand slam in Paris.

"Nadal on clay I think is stronger than Federer," said last year's French Open runner-up.

Federer made the quarter finals once losing to Corretja and the last time I looked that is definitely past the fourth round.

Truc
05-14-2005, 09:10 AM
That's not completely true. OK, in his opinion Nadal is stronger on clay than Federer, but he also said Federer is one of the favorites for Roland-Garros:
"He’s played the big points very well, he’s very solid, and he’s clearly one of the favourites for Roland Garros."

Marine
05-14-2005, 09:23 AM
I'm glad of this result, I hope it could be the same one in RG... :o

Exodus
05-14-2005, 09:27 AM
If Coria doesn't win RG this or next year he won't ever win RG. Which means he will never win any slams

hitchhiker
05-14-2005, 12:50 PM
this federer is machine. Not even my pies can stop it.
I think its a robot - only chance is that its breaks down every 3 months like most technology but then they fix it back up, iron out the bugs and its unbeatable again.

ATP TOUR IF YOU ARE READING THIS MAKE SEPERATE TOUR FOR ROBOTS.

Rogiman
05-14-2005, 01:02 PM
I think its a robot - only chance is that its breaks down every 3 months like most technology but then they fix it back up, iron out the bugs and its unbeatable again.

I can absolutely understand your point, it's far easier to warm up to players that are so human they just can't resist their body needs (toilet breaks, etc.) midway through some of the most important matches of their lives.

Mrs. B
05-14-2005, 01:08 PM

good to see you again, hitchhiker! :wavey:

how's the pie business? getting stale? :p

Action Jackson
05-14-2005, 01:10 PM
Hi hitchhiker what you are doing here during the clay season? I thought you'd need to make pastry for all the pies and you usually turn up around Wimbledon.

hitchhiker
05-14-2005, 01:14 PM
Hi hitchhiker what you are doing here during the clay season? I thought you'd need to make pastry for all the pies and you usually turn up around Wimbledon.

clay is for pots. this is called tennis? Everything is slow motion for the untalented and dust fly everywhere. If inventors of tennis knew its played on this DIRT they would go back in time and shoot themselves.

hitchhiker
05-14-2005, 01:14 PM
how's the pie business? getting stale? :p

if sampras was still playing he would beat robot named federer who break down quarterly.

Neely
05-14-2005, 01:16 PM
clay is for pots. this is called tennis? Everything is slow motion for the untalented and dust fly everywhere. If inventors of tennis knew its played on this DIRT they would go back in time and shoot themselves.
Don't worry. We are soon over it. After Roland Garros, there will be always a Tour event every week other than on clay. I'm eagerly awaiting the grass season and it's getting closer and closer and closer...

Action Jackson
05-14-2005, 01:17 PM
if sampras was still playing he would beat robot named federer who break down quarterly.

Resorting to this I am not surprised at all and your clay comment well that is just par for the course if Roddick did well in proper tournaments on the surface then you'd love it.

Rogiman
05-14-2005, 01:19 PM

:lol:

A goodrep is underway...

hitchhiker
05-14-2005, 01:32 PM
if Roddick did well in proper tournaments on the surface then you'd love it.

even roddick on clay i have to watch with fast forward button pressed to speed things up otherwise things just dont make sense.

someone with shoe nailed to the baseline and a court that doesnt reply to pace, good serve or power suddenly means a smart mans tennis?

if i had my way the dirt specialists would be taken out back and whipped twice a day until they went to the net.

Rogiman
05-14-2005, 01:35 PM
if i had my way the dirt specialists would be taken out back and whipped twice a day until they went to the net.

Like...Roddick? :confused:

Action Jackson
05-14-2005, 01:35 PM
hitchhiker, just enjoy the grass is for cows and for playing football on with big serves and power tennis it'll be there soon enough. I forgot Guga, Lendl, Muster and Ferrero lack power.

hitchhiker
05-14-2005, 01:41 PM
I forgot Guga, Lendl, Muster and Ferrero lack power.

Lendl was american USA USA.......since when is he dirt lover?

guga got owned on slow hardcourt rebound ace

i saw better tennis in nebraska tennis club then i did with muster on grass

and ferrero has turned to utter crap this year

lets revolutionalize tennis. Send me ferrer, martin and Costa in a box and I will teach them to play tennis in a way that doesnt make past greats turn in their grave.

hitchhiker
05-14-2005, 01:42 PM
Like...Roddick? :confused:

at least roddick try to learn net game. Clay court specialists super glued to the baseline. Make them play in high heels with broken strings I say, then they have to be at the net.

Billabong
05-14-2005, 01:44 PM

He had the chance to beat him, on his favorite surface at Wimbledon, when Rogi was only 19 years old;)! and failed to do so;)

Action Jackson
05-14-2005, 01:53 PM
Lendl was american USA USA.......since when is he dirt lover?

guga got owned on slow hardcourt rebound ace

i saw better tennis in nebraska tennis club then i did with muster on grass

and ferrero has turned to utter crap this year

lets revolutionalize tennis. Send me ferrer, martin and Costa in a box and I will teach them to play tennis in a way that doesnt make past greats turn in their grave.

What is your point actually? Stick to your Anglo-Celtic view of the tennis world that everyone wants and loves Wimbledon it's crap, but at least your posts are good entertainment value.

Rogiman
05-14-2005, 01:56 PM

The guy is a revealation to me, I've never imagined he could be that funny, and I'm being serious here!

Action Jackson
05-14-2005, 01:57 PM

The guy is a revealation to me, I've never imagined he could be that funny, and I'm being serious here!

He is one of the funniest posters here and that's no lie.

Daniel
05-16-2005, 12:06 AM
Well done Roger :D