Federer: 57 straight matches where he had match point.... [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Federer: 57 straight matches where he had match point....

makro120
05-13-2005, 12:36 AM
This must be a record, is it not?

Also he had match points while serving when he lost.

Quite useless record, but it seems you can't beat Federer without a fight and also that Federer can't always take good advantage of situations when he can close the match.

WyveN
05-13-2005, 12:42 AM
Impressive stats but then again Villas went a similar amount of matches without losing at all.

Sjengster
05-13-2005, 12:50 AM
No offence, but this is one record that is better ended sooner rather than later. Just think about it.

El Legenda
05-13-2005, 03:08 AM
MTF should have useless facts subforum

mitalidas
05-13-2005, 03:12 AM
No offence, but this is one record that is better ended sooner rather than later. Just think about it.

I would rather he keep getting match points--and keep taking them--, so I don't want the streak to stop

Sjengster
05-13-2005, 03:22 AM
But that's exactly what I mean - the longer this streak were to go on, the more matches he would lose from matchpoint up, considering that he's obviously going to have defeats at certain points throughout a year. OK, so he said himself in Monte Carlo that when he starts losing 0 and 1 then he has cause to worry, but it can't be good to lose any more matches that have literally been on your racket.

mitalidas
05-13-2005, 03:35 AM
But that's exactly what I mean - the longer this streak were to go on, the more matches he would lose from matchpoint up, considering that he's obviously going to have defeats at certain points throughout a year. OK, so he said himself in Monte Carlo that when he starts losing 0 and 1 then he has cause to worry, but it can't be good to lose any more matches that have literally been on your racket.

Oh but look at the odds
In my recollection, of these 57 where he held MP's, he lost two.
That's two of 57!!!! that's like 4% odds of losing if he reaches MP

I would be happy to see him keep getting to MP for the next 100 matches, and lose just 4
Would do it for me

Fedex
05-13-2005, 03:37 AM
Impressive stats but then again Villas went a similar amount of matches without losing at all.
True.

Darkheart
05-13-2005, 03:58 AM
7 replies and no-one spotted the error in the title. :angel:

NYCtennisfan
05-13-2005, 03:59 AM
Sjengster, I see what you are saying but one has to remember that normally, a player doesn't come anywhere close to winning this many matches. He's 77-4(!) since he lost to Guga at the FO. He has won almost every time and the times that he has lost he has also had match points. I don't look at it like he has lost match points, but that he has played well enough to get to match point in the first place. His 77-4 record shows that he has won most of those match points.

NYCtennisfan
05-13-2005, 04:02 AM
7 replies and no-one spotted the error in the title.

I attribute it to English not being the first language. :)

I don't know if anyone has posted this but I believe that Federer has won more total points that all of his opponents since the Guga lost EXCEPT against Agassi at the USO. I believe he won more points that Safin, Richard Gasquet, Hrbaty, and Berdych. I could be mistaken about this. Crazy, crazy stuff.

lucashg
05-13-2005, 04:19 AM
I attribute it to English not being the first language. :)

I don't know if anyone has posted this but I believe that Federer has won more total points that all of his opponents since the Guga lost EXCEPT against Agassi at the USO. I believe he won more points that Safin, Richard Gasquet, Hrbaty, and Berdych. I could be mistaken about this. Crazy, crazy stuff.

I don't know about Hrbaty and Berdych but he had more points than Safin and Gasquet. Hm, did he have match points against those two? Hrbaty and Berdych?

NYCtennisfan
05-13-2005, 04:29 AM
^No I don't think so, but I do know that he had a million break points or deuce chances against Hrbaty. I am pretty sure that he had more points than Hrbaty but it's close on the Berdych match.

Adman
05-13-2005, 09:26 AM
What a great statistic!!

makro120
05-13-2005, 11:42 AM
One thing everyone should remember about the matches against Gasquet and Safin is that whoever would have lost those 2 matches he would have lost amazing oppurtunities. Against both Gasquet and SAfin he saved match points on his own serve and on the serve of his opponent to come back from 5-2 in the last set. That is also very impressive, he saved 6 match points against Safin and 5 against Gasquet I belive. But in the end he lost.

Anyway I am quite sure GAsquet won more points than Federer in that match, while I am definetly sure Federer won many more points than Safin in the AO semifinal, but it is all about winning the important points, that is why tennis is played as it is and not 1st to 100 points wins the match, wouldn't that be boring?

connectolove
05-13-2005, 11:50 AM
He is #1 for a reason. Let's see what happens with Coria.

Satanic Pasteur
05-13-2005, 03:44 PM
Federer 113
Gasquet 112

Federer 201
Safin 194

I remember he had a lot more points than Hrbaty at Cincinnati and also a few more than Berdych at Athens.
At Roland Garros he had around 10 points less than Guga.

makro120
05-13-2005, 03:45 PM
Yes, Guga is the last player to really outplay him.

mitalidas
05-13-2005, 03:49 PM
Make that 58 after defeating guille today

makro120
05-13-2005, 03:54 PM
Soon it will be 60...

mitalidas
05-13-2005, 03:56 PM
Soon it will be 60...

and when it is, he will be :

a) tied with Nadal for wins
b) beat Nadal in winning percentage
c) be far and away the leader on the Race
d) be easily the best player of the year so far (that stupid forum where nadal beats him in the poll)

NYCtennisfan
05-13-2005, 03:59 PM
These numbers are amazing. I know that in the grand scheme of things they are useless but to not have a player beat you and have more points than you for an entire year is mind boggling. 83 matches in a row wihout being beaten in straight sets. Good lord.

makro120
05-13-2005, 04:02 PM
Also he will be the 1st to get 3 clay TMS in his generation!

lucashg
05-13-2005, 04:10 PM
One step at a time, please? He has to beat Davydenko first.
I'd love for him to win this tournament as it seems very special for him and he needs to boost his confidence for RG.

I didn't know Roger had won 6 more points than Safin in their AO match, I thought it was just a difference of ONE point.

Makro, can't you edit the title of this thread to "matches" instead of games?

makro120
05-13-2005, 04:12 PM
Makro, can't you edit the title of this thread to "matches" instead of games?

:o

lucashg
05-13-2005, 04:13 PM
:o

Sorry, you did it before I said it, didn't you? I didn't pay attention enough, just read those subtitles in people's replies. Hee :p

makro120
05-13-2005, 04:17 PM
Sorry, you did it before I said it, didn't you? I didn't pay attention enough, just read those subtitles in people's replies. Hee :p

No, I read I had made a mistake...

Read it over and over again and couldn't figure it out, then you said the error and I was a little embarassed.

NYCtennisfan
05-13-2005, 08:05 PM
I didn't know Roger had won 6 more points than Safin in their AO match, I thought it was just a difference of ONE point.

Roger won a higher % of 1st service points and held a lot of games easily thus ending in him having won 7 more points.

Jogy
06-03-2005, 10:08 PM
this streak is over too
time to find new streak for Makro :p

lucashg
06-03-2005, 10:10 PM
Makro's not gonna be around anymore. You guys are free from Fedstats threads.

jenanun
06-03-2005, 11:19 PM
i think it doesnt really mean anything
whether there was a match point or not
u either won a match, or lost a match
what does it mean if u had a match point but lost the match in the end?
u lost!

NYCtennisfan
06-04-2005, 12:23 AM
This was the first match since Agassi at the USO where an opponent had more points and the first match since Guga at the FO LAST year where a player had more points and also beat him.