Rafter once ready to fight Tarango [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Rafter once ready to fight Tarango

tennis elbow
05-12-2005, 07:06 PM
Rafter reminicises Tarango’s fight challenge in locker room
Sydney, May 09

Two-time US Open champion Pat Rafter says he once waited in the locker room for American Jeff Tarango so the pair could have a fist fight after an angry on-court exchange.

In an interview for the Australian Broadcasting Corp. Television show 'Enough Rope', the now-retired Rafter also said he often had a strained relationship with Pete Sampras.

"Sampras and I had our run-ins but we'd always talk," Rafter told interviewer Andrew Denton.

Rafter said Tarango wanted to become "the next John Mcenroe."

"Once he (Tarango) said let's go for a fight after the match," Rafter said. "And I thought 'well, this'd be a new one.' Anyway, so he wasn't there." :p

Rafter won the Stefan Edberg Sportsmanship Award on the ATP Tour in 1997, 1999 and 2000.

He did not say when the incident took place, but the pair had an acrimonious exchange during a first-round match won by Rafter at the 1998 Australian Open.

Both Rafter and Tarango retired from the tour in 2003, although Rafter made a brief comeback in doubles late last year and at this year's Australian Open.

The 32-year-old Rafter says he is planning to move his family to France, but not for several years.

Rafter and his wife, ex-model Lara Feltham, have a two-year-old son, Joshua.

"And we have another baby coming shortly too, so for the next sort of three or four years I want to be there for the babies and my family," Rafter said.

Bureau Report

jole
05-12-2005, 07:51 PM
I think Rafter could probably deck Tarango and his wretched wife if he had to.

Carlita
05-12-2005, 07:54 PM
ooh yeah!! :lol: :boxing: go Pat!!! :worship:

Such a sweet, kind and friendly guy, but don't piss him off!!! :lol:

Just like Moya......always so calm and nice...I'd hate to see him (or Pat) when he's really really angry:scared:

robinhood
05-12-2005, 08:36 PM
Speaking of Tarango, what is he up to these days? Anyone knows?

TennisLurker
05-12-2005, 08:52 PM
Tarango would do some ugly things to Rafter´s pretty face

shtexas
05-12-2005, 09:28 PM
Good article that I doubt I would have seen anywhere else. Glad I joined this site. Funny that Tarango didn't show for the fight but Rafter did.

robinhood
05-12-2005, 09:39 PM
Funny that Tarango didn't show for the fight but Rafter did.

I know. :confused:

Carlita
05-13-2005, 08:58 AM
Speaking of Tarango, what is he up to these days? Anyone knows?does anyone care???? :p

Experimentee
05-13-2005, 05:39 PM
I saw that interview but funnily enough I dont remember him mentioning anything about a fight. He did mention Tarango in players that he didnt get along with and he said something like 'he tried to be the next McEnroe, but the problem was he wasnt any good at tennis'.

I remember that Tarango was coaching Younes a couple of years ago. He was commentating at the Kooyong Classic and Younes hit a ball very close to the line and straight away he went 'WHAT WAS THE CALL?' :lol:
I havent heard anything about him since then.