The OAF alienates Spain count... [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

The OAF alienates Spain count...

Tennis Fool
05-11-2005, 11:53 PM
So far this has been a clay season Safin (and his fans) would most likely forget. Instead of Funny, Funny Marat, we get Insult the Spanish OAF. How has he done so in the last month?

1. On being booed after his early loss in Barcelona: "Maybe I won't come back here."

2. On Nadal: "I'm sick of hearing about Nadal, Nadal. There are other great Spanish tennis players like Ferrero--."

3. On losing to Ferrero in Hamburger: "He was getting coaching and acting like a 14 year old."

:rolleyes:

Watch out Robredo and Moya. Don't draw him at the French Open :eek:

Nastase
05-11-2005, 11:54 PM
Just Marat...

Carolinita
05-12-2005, 12:04 AM
:lol:...and his complaint about Nadal is absolutely ridiculous!...Nadal is a very young player and he has obtained many things in short time and this is why he has very much attention ...Marat has bad memory...is the same situation when he was 20 years old...everybody was speaking about him and, of course, he didn't complaint in that moment.

Carito_90
05-12-2005, 12:11 AM
:lol: :lol:

True indeed, though. :p

Bibir
05-12-2005, 12:20 AM
2. On Nadal: "I'm sick of hearing about Nadal, Nadal. There are other great Spanish tennis players like Ferrero--."
Like his best friend Ferrero? :lol: :p

Marat Safin the voice of reson! :angel:

connectolove
05-12-2005, 12:50 AM
This is a great thread...

hanks tennis fool!

I am curious about what's going to happen in RG...so much cooking!

connectolove
05-12-2005, 12:51 AM
I mean, thanks. (I ate the T)

NYCtennisfan
05-12-2005, 03:42 AM
Only Marat can get away with comments like these. Still, it makes one laugh, no matter how boorish. I am thinking Marat will be called out more often for making outlandish statements like these. Or maybe not.

ys
05-12-2005, 04:03 AM
Marat is the best thing that happened to tennis. Since Goran, of course..:)

fleur137
05-12-2005, 04:09 AM
marat must have been off his rocker to make such comments. don't get me wrong, i'm a marat fan but those comments were just nasty

ys
05-12-2005, 04:12 AM
marat must have been off his rocker to make such comments. don't get me wrong, i'm a marat fan but those comments were just nasty

Nasty? Of course, comparing to what he offered to Mal Washington's wife... :rolls: If only he'd have made the same offer here in Hamburg.. :lol:

MariaV
05-12-2005, 07:21 AM
So far this has been a clay season Safin (and his fans) would most likely forget. Instead of Funny, Funny Marat, we get Insult the Spanish OAF. How has he done so in the last month?

1. On being booed after his early loss in Barcelona: "Maybe I won't come back here."

3. On losing to Ferrero in Hamburger: "He was getting coaching and acting like a 14 year old."

Hi TF!!!!!!! :wavey: :lol: If he'll draw Robredo or Moya or any other Spanish guy, even FeLo, he'll simply lose and be a bad loser again. And he doesn't think before talking.
Nice to see you back here TF!

joeb_uk
05-12-2005, 07:26 AM
Nadal will probably go onto win more slams than marat himself, because he has the mental aspects that marat lacks.

Deivid23
05-12-2005, 07:29 AM
Marat was also booed some months ago in AMS Madrid in his match against Horna. But he still loves Spanish nights.

Chloe le Bopper
05-12-2005, 07:06 PM
Yay, a Marat bash thread :banana:

Thank goodness I found thsi before dropping the famous "if Coria had said this...." line :cool:

Jimena
05-12-2005, 07:28 PM
You know, I'm really tired of Marat not being called out for things other players would be lambasted for. Yes, he's charming. Yes, he's pretty. Yes, he's talented. But he can be an immature ass sometimes, specially when things are not going his way. To me, to have class means to be graceful in adversity and right now Marat is not particularly showing any.

Chloe le Bopper
05-12-2005, 07:50 PM
You know, I'm really tired of Marat not being called out for things other players would be lambasted for. Yes, he's charming. Yes, he's pretty. Yes, he's talented. But he can be an immature ass sometimes, specially when things are not going his way. To me, to have class means to be graceful in adversity and right now Marat is not particularly showing any.
I totally agree!

Not even considering this specific incident (which I have yet to see), Marat can be as whiney and petulant as the worst of them, and the general consensus is "teehee! Marat is being whiney and petulant! That's so cute!" Like, make me hurl.

tangerine_dream
05-12-2005, 09:09 PM
:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

jes_021
05-12-2005, 09:28 PM
Yeah well, welcome to the land of double standards. ;)
Everytime Hewitt or Roddick even breathes wrong, the people are lining up to bash them thread after thread, but when Marat does something, it's ooohhhhh isn't he cute and hot doing that, or it's what makes him special. It's kinda sickening really, but nothing we can do about. Everybody is entitled to their own opinion. :p

savesthedizzle
05-12-2005, 09:48 PM

I agree completely. :yeah:

Bibir
05-12-2005, 09:54 PM
Poor him. :sad: It's not his fault if he has a big thingy that attracts so many people. ;)

Carolinita
05-12-2005, 09:57 PM
Everytime Hewitt or Roddick even breathes wrong, the people are lining up to bash them thread after thread, but when Marat does something, it's ooohhhhh isn't he cute and hot doing that, or it's what makes him special. It's kinda sickening really, but nothing we can do about. Everybody is entitled to their own opinion. :p
jaja..yeah... the things are like that :angel:

hablovah19
05-13-2005, 07:00 AM
I still wuv you Marat :hug: :lol:

oneandonlyhsn
05-13-2005, 07:02 AM

Roger being interviewed on Nadal winning back to back masters

"Nadal is so good, and such a solid player, for 2 years we've seen what he is capable of. Unfortunately he missed the FO last year. I knew he was a favourite on clay, for some it may have been a surprise but I knew how good he is."

Pure class, Marat as much as I love you, you can take a few maturity classes from Roger.

connectolove
05-13-2005, 07:13 AM
Bibir ... thingy??? what do you mean?

It seems that Marat Safin has a couple of issues he needs to deal with.

About Nadal, he is an uncomplicated guy from a good family that has a great physical aptitude, enjoys what he does and is very good at it, & this is why we all like him. A lucky man indeed.

MariaV
05-13-2005, 07:27 AM
Nadal will probably go onto win more slams than marat himself, because he has the mental aspects that marat lacks.

That's for sure Joe.

MariaV
05-13-2005, 07:28 AM

I totally agree. Sadly.

mer
05-13-2005, 01:50 PM
Roger being interviewed on Nadal winning back to back masters

"Nadal is so good, and such a solid player, for 2 years we've seen what he is capable of. Unfortunately he missed the FO last year. I knew he was a favourite on clay, for some it may have been a surprise but I knew how good he is."

Pure class, Marat as much as I love you, you can take a few maturity classes from Roger.

Marat's comment on Roger
"Heís the most complete player Iíve ever seen. One of the best players of all time probably. He can do everything, but also heís very tough mentally. Heís too good. Heís so good he forces us all to progress; he puts the general game level on a higher scale. He can play every shots, every possibilities. Even when he doesnít play well ha has enough talent to hide it.
In reality he makes light of the difficulties. We can sometimes play at his level, but it is extremely difficult to stay at this level for long. To do that we have to work hard, very hard."

Not classy enough for you ? And Marat tells what he thinks. He's not trying to be polite and classy. He thought that Nadal was getting excessive attention and other spanish players were forgotten all of a sudden and he said it. He was wrong, but he said what he thought and not something nice just to please the public.

~EMiLiTA~
05-13-2005, 02:30 PM

yeah I agree...and don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of his and have been for many years. But I believe that, part of being a genuine fan, is being able to criticise and see the negative side of your player too instead of trying to inanely defend them because you're biased and just think they're the best thing since sliced bread.

I think with some things this year, especially the Nadal comment, he overstepped the mark. No one's asking him to give effusive compliments, but I think, knowing he was in Spain, knowing Rafa had just won Monte Carlo etc, it was a bit unnecesarry and just showed him up. So Rafa was getting quite a bit of attention in Barcelona...well maybe the Spaniards were just proud and happy for their new star? It's normal. Marat himself has also had a lot of attention in the past.

About the Ferrero incident, I can't really comment because I didn't see it. To me, from what it sounds like, Ferrero did the right thing in speaking to the umpire. He probably figured, if he tried to tell Marat himself, Marat wouldn't have listened cos he'd have been too busy ranting to the ump. I understand that Marat may have been a bit disappointed after his loss...but whining is not going to help. He needs to try and get his head and his game sorted, cos I don't like to see him look like a whining kid or someone suffering from sour grapes syndrome.

oneandonlyhsn
05-13-2005, 02:55 PM
Marat's comment on Roger
"Heís the most complete player Iíve ever seen. One of the best players of all time probably. He can do everything, but also heís very tough mentally. Heís too good. Heís so good he forces us all to progress; he puts the general game level on a higher scale. He can play every shots, every possibilities. Even when he doesnít play well ha has enough talent to hide it.
In reality he makes light of the difficulties. We can sometimes play at his level, but it is extremely difficult to stay at this level for long. To do that we have to work hard, very hard."

Not classy enough for you ? And Marat tells what he thinks. He's not trying to be polite and classy. He thought that Nadal was getting excessive attention and other spanish players were forgotten all of a sudden and he said it. He was wrong, but he said what he thought and not something nice just to please the public.

I think you misunderstood my post, I said Roger was pure class and that Marat needs to be more mature. Marat is a classy guy, and he does speak his mind, and thats why I love the dude. However he needs to realize when and where to say things, he is not 20 anymore. Thats all I was saying :D .

mer
05-13-2005, 04:07 PM
However he needs to realize when and where to say things, he is not 20 anymore. Thats all I was saying :D .

ok, I can't disagree here :)

mer
05-13-2005, 04:29 PM

You have your point about double standards on MTF. But there is also a fact that Marat is generaly liked by other players (so far at least) who know him better than any of us here for sure. I guess it's not for nothing.

Experimentee
05-13-2005, 04:39 PM
I like Marat and I think he is being really immature with his comments lately. I guess he might be frustrated with his bad form but thats still no excuse to say such things, and especially against people he calls friends.

Tennis Fool
05-13-2005, 04:52 PM
I like Marat and I think he is being really immature with his comments lately. I guess he might be frustrated with his bad form but thats still no excuse to say such things, and especially against people he calls friends.

Actually, Marat said that he was happy with his form going into the match with Ferrero. Maybe that's why he was so frustrated losing :confused:

Tennis Fool
05-13-2005, 04:53 PM
Yay, a Marat bash thread :banana:

Not really. More of a Hippoanonymous thread...

Tennis Fool
05-13-2005, 04:57 PM
So that begs the question: What's the difference between Roddick/Coria & Marat? :p

mer
05-13-2005, 05:01 PM
Actually, Marat said that he was happy with his form going into the match with Ferrero. Maybe that's why he was so frustrated losing :confused:

I the intervew he didn't sound frustrated about the loss, the only thing that annoyed him was episode with ump and JC.

mer
05-13-2005, 05:15 PM
So that begs the question: What's the difference between Roddick/Coria & Marat? :p

TF, you are a real master of provocation! :p

Tennis Fool
04-15-2006, 10:43 PM
Sorry, couldn't help but bump this thread. Another Spaniard has been placed on Safin's shit list: Almagro :devil:

Wonder if Safin really has bad feelings about playing in Spain? He never seems to be happy when playing there :shrug:

Broomie
04-15-2006, 11:04 PM
I think he was. In his last interview after gaudio's match, he said how good he felt and how much he owed to that city.
I honestly think he doesn't care about being booed. People still want to see him the following year, and he comes again. (he was booed so many times here in france, and people still like him).

Anyway, i wanted to correct his quote about nadal (in the 1st post). He didn't talk about nadal's talent but the fact that all the talk was about him. Anyway he developed that point a few weeks later saying how it could hurt nadal in the long run. ( i think he made the link with his own situation at his age, and how it eventually did him wrong). But you are right in a sense, him and nadal are so different it is hard to make a link. Since, i've heard him say many great things about nadal if that can make you feel better.

But all this is marat, he's just so temperamental sometimes, and often ends up saying one thing and then the contrary, it's silly! I just wonder if he's aware of this.

Tennis Fool
04-15-2006, 11:24 PM
Anyway, i wanted to correct his quote about nadal (in the 1st post). He didn't talk about nadal's talent but the fact that all the talk was about him.
Well, no need to correct, as I think everyone who posted originally understood the quote to be about the "hype".

Anyway, interesting how the tide of affection MTF had for Nadal has split since this time last year (with the Fed/Nadal rivalry, "Piggy roasting", etc).

TenHound
04-15-2006, 11:35 PM
Looked at another way, what he said about the press v. Thugs & the Spaniards is spot on. There's an armada of outstanding Spanish clay courters & Thuggy does get all the damn press. It's true. That doesn't take anything away from Thugs, who is on course to be the greatest clay courter ever, and certainly the greatest Spanish tennis player who could further ignite a Spanish tennis boom.

It's also helpful to remember that 90% of the "abuse" from Marat is directed at himself.

I'm mostly worried he will not be able to harness his prodigious talents. I had really hoped after Houston then AO last yr., w/Marat settling into PL's coaching corner that we'd have a great Roger-Marat rivalry. W/his body now adding a greater burden to his already fragile mind, I fear that may never be the case, in a sustained fashion.

Sjengster
04-15-2006, 11:37 PM
Another world-beating post from the pen of TenHound.

ChloeLove
04-16-2006, 01:59 AM
Oh Marat, I just don't find anything offending when it comes from his mouth. It's just funny :lol:

amierin
04-16-2006, 06:06 AM
Thuggy? Who the hell is Thuggy?

World Beater
04-16-2006, 07:19 AM
Thuggy? Who the hell is Thuggy?

:haha:

oh boy

Allez
04-16-2006, 08:41 AM
There is zero difference between Marat/Hewitt/Roddick and Coria :Whenever they do something silly, I hope they can be treated the same here on the MTF.

silverwhite
04-16-2006, 08:53 AM

You were spot-on, and he even lost to the Spaniard he drew. :o

denibas77
04-16-2006, 09:22 PM
well spanish audience is awful towards him,why on earth they booo him in Barcelona because he lost to good clay court player .

RogiFan88
04-17-2006, 04:01 AM

Rafa has the mental strength that most players lack...