Pages : [1] 2 3

adelaide
05-11-2005, 03:38 PM
I couldn't resist.
12 days until Rafael *actually* plays in Roland Garros!!! :banana:

ah the anticipation.

Blistering Nadal rejects French Open favourites tag
By Bill Barclay

HAMBURG, Germany, May 10 (Reuters) - Spanish teenager Rafael Nadal has rejected suggestions that he is the clear favourite for this month's French Open.

The 18-year-old, who pulled out of this week's Hamburg Masters with a blistered racket hand, has been in sensational form on clay in recent weeks and has won his last three tournaments to reach number five in the world rankings.

Nadal, though, will playing at Roland Garros for the first time when the claycourt grand slam gets underway in Paris on May 23.

Asked if he believed he was favourite the Spaniard replied: "No. I have always said the favourite for Roland Garros will be the player who plays the best tennis there.

"I'm playing pretty good right now but in two weeks' time you never know which player will be the best then.

"Obviously it's very important for me, it's a grand slam and I haven't been able to play in it before. All I want to do is go there, play 100 percent and win a few matches."

Nadal hopes to be able resume training later this week, provided the nasty blister on his left hand has healed.

He pulled out of the Hamburg event shortly after arriving in Germany on Monday following a medical examination.

"You could say it's positive I'm resting a bit," he said.

FEDERER IMPRESSED

The Spaniard admits he is having trouble sleeping following his run of success.

"I had a tough time getting to sleep after the Rome final (on Sunday)," he said.

"Five months ago I would never have thought that I would be in the top 10 and win two big tournaments like Monte Carlo and Rome. If you win these tournaments you are in tennis history. It hasn't really sunk in what I've achieved in the last few weeks."

Nadal's growing army of admirers includes world number one Roger Federer, who will be the top seed at the French Open, an event the 23-year-old Swiss has yet to win.

"He's fantastic," Federer said of his young rival. "At his age, to do what he's doing is great. We haven't had a guy doing that for many years. Not since Lleyton (Hewitt) and maybe (Marat) Safin."

Federer is also well aware of Nadal's presence on court, having had to come from two sets and break down to defeat the Spaniard in the Nasdaq-100 Open final last month.

"It's good for the game, he has a lot of energy. I'm looking forward to more battles with him," said the Swiss.

Federer, who has won 36 of his 38 matches this year and is the defending champion in Hamburg, won his first-round match easily on Monday.

In the second round he could face Czech teenager Tomas Berdych, the player who knocked him out of the Athens Olympic tournament last year.

eddie_hyden
05-11-2005, 11:20 PM
yes, go rafa at RG!

~EMiLiTA~
05-12-2005, 07:12 AM
wow...great to see such positive comments from Rogi!!! good for our Rafaboy!!!

chocc0
05-12-2005, 08:41 AM
Damn Straight! It's Great!
BRING ON ROLAND GARROSSSSSS
crap this means waking up at 4am

adelaide
05-12-2005, 11:07 AM
lol reminds me of me & the Australian Open... :hug:

ayena
05-12-2005, 04:19 PM
Tell me. To see Rafa- Lleyton match I have to get up on 2 am :rolleyes:

~EMiLiTA~
05-12-2005, 04:25 PM
i was live at that match! :bounce: i wish Rafa had won...

adelaide
05-12-2005, 04:39 PM
:lol: ayena, i stayed up til 4:30 a.m. watching the livescoring ;) and i believe it was a school night. oops.

emilita :hug:

chocc0
05-13-2005, 04:51 AM
Tell me. To see Rafa- Lleyton match I have to get up on 2 am :rolleyes:
i had to get home from uni enrollment early that day just to watch it great match...but now i'm gonna be dead during the week and the australian free to air coverage is sooo shit

Mimi
05-13-2005, 06:09 AM
at least you have coverage while me none :mad: , this FO coverage belonged to my old paid cable tv co, the new one which i subscribed now only has AO, wimby and us open, i love FO coz i can watch nadal and the time zone is ok for me, i can watch it after i returned from work, now no tennis for 2 weeks :mad: :mad:

Jennay
05-14-2005, 01:13 AM
BEST of luck at Roland Garros, Rafa! :hug:

I hope his hand has healed up nicely. :yeah:

eddie_hyden
05-14-2005, 01:23 AM
mmm federer just defeated coria in straight sets in hamburg.

was he looking sharp as ever on clay or what??

btw, has RG draw released yet? hope rafa'll have a relatively easy route...

martirogi
05-14-2005, 03:31 AM
hope he gets roddick as the top seed in his quarter

but i guess if lleyton doesnt play, will he be 4 seed :eek:

Eruwen
05-14-2005, 08:50 AM
Good luck Rafa! http://members.home.nl/gvanbienen/cheering.gif

Carlita
05-14-2005, 09:05 AM
http://smileys.******************/cat/36/36_9_1.gifVAMOS RAFA VAMOS http://smileys.******************/cat/36/36_9_1.gif

http://smileys.******************/cat/18/18_1_103v.gifhttp://smileys.******************/cat/18/18_1_103v.gifhttp://smileys.******************/cat/18/18_1_103v.gif

adelaide
05-14-2005, 01:11 PM
hope he gets roddick as the top seed in his quarter

but i guess if lleyton doesnt play, will he be 4 seed :eek:
oh my. number 4 seed? :scared:

~EMiLiTA~
05-14-2005, 02:49 PM
the RG draw should be out around Friday or so I guess.

#4 seed...omg you're right...that's mind blowing!! and to think this time last year he was on crutches poor baby. VAMOS RAFA!!! A POR ROLAND GARROS!!!!! :bounce:

roisin
05-14-2005, 03:01 PM
go rafy! :woohoo:

i can't believe its only gonna be his first time there!

i saw the ad for RG on eurosport this morning & i was bounceing up and down like a lunatic, im sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo excited!!! :bounce:

~EMiLiTA~
05-14-2005, 03:17 PM
sadly, i think the Aussie coverage is going to be shit as usual, if we even get it. last year i don't think they showed it...but at that time i was living in spain so i was spoiled with the eurosport coverage...*sigh* it's gonna be tough this year...

Carlita
05-14-2005, 03:20 PM
Yeah for once Eurosport is showing us live tennis again...of course we should hope and pray that they don't focus on the ladies.......:rolleyes: Now THAT would suck!

Iza
05-14-2005, 03:28 PM
Vamos Rafa :woohoo: :yippee: :yeah: !

Iza
05-14-2005, 03:29 PM
Yeah for once Eurosport is showing us live tennis again...of course we should hope and pray that they don't focus on the ladies.......:rolleyes: Now THAT would suck!

Oh please Carlita hunny don't even mention that!!!!!!!!! If they show Masha and the Williamses all day (or JuJu, but she's quite alrite) I'ma kill them :fiery: :armed: !!!!!

ataptc
05-14-2005, 03:39 PM
#4 seed? Now I havent thought of that.. These past few months have gone by so quickly and suddenly Rafa is top 5.. I still cant believe it :D
Vamos Rafa!!

alexito
05-15-2005, 12:32 AM
off course 4th, hewitt no play. I want see nadal def federer in RG final.

adelaide
05-15-2005, 04:00 AM
Rafael Nadal: The Matador
Swaggering, fist-pumping Rafael Nadal has the competition seeing red, but does the muscular Mallorcan have the guns to win Roland Garros?
By Christopher Clarey

Rafael Nadal had just become a national icon. He’d played some of the most spectacular tennis of his, or anyone’s, life to beat Andy Roddick on red clay in Seville, Spain, during the Davis Cup final last December. Naturally, it took only a few seconds for the next round of questions—and expectations—to begin. “Do you think you can win the French Open?” he was asked as a manic, celebratory Spanish news conference was coming to a close.

Nadal, his long, dark hair dangling forward over his high cheekbones, smiled, which is something he does frequently when he’s not bashing forehands and chasing down balls in the corners. “Look,” he said, “what really interests me is playing in the French Open.”

It’s easy to forget that this 19-year-old lefty has yet to compete in the major best suited to his game. Everything about him—the lateral quickness that allows him to track down balls that would get by most guys, the whiplike forehand that yanks opponents off the court, and the tenacious attitude that has him screaming “vamos!” after winning big points—suggests it’s a question of when, not if, he’ll triumph at Roland Garros. He’s a Spanish Lleyton Hewitt, minus the grating edge.

While he hasn’t made it to Roland Garros, Nadal has done everything else in tennis ahead of schedule. He was only 8 when he captured the under-12 title of his native island of Mallorca. In 2002, at 15, he won his first ATP match. As a 17-year-old, he reached the third round at Wimbledon, becoming the youngest man to advance that far at the All England Club since a 16-year-old Boris Becker did it in 1984. At 18, Nadal won his first three tour titles, all on clay (Sopot last fall, and Costa Do Sauipe and Acapulco this season), and became the youngest man in the Davis Cup’s 104-year history to win a singles match in a Cup final for the winning team, beating Roddick in four sets on opening day in Seville to give Spain all the momentum it would need against the United States.

Now, the 6-foot-tall Nadal is looking to bring his topspin and attitude to the capital of clay, Roland Garros. In 2003, after receiving a wild card from French Open organizers eager to show off the game’s latest prodigy, he had to withdraw four days before the tournament began after injuring his right elbow in practice. In April 2004, when he looked well-positioned to cast a long shadow over the clay-court season, Nadal suffered a stress fracture in his left ankle that kept him off the tour for nearly three months.

“My goal this year is to play well and get my ranking up, but my biggest goal is to get through the year without injuries,” Nadal said in Seville. He is now putting more emphasis on off-court training to keep his labor-intensive style from landing him on the disabled list again.

“Roland Garros has been frustrating for all of us, most of all Rafael,” says his coach and paternal uncle, Toni Nadal. “But sometimes it’s best to wait. It makes you appreciate [victory] more.”

Rafael Nadal began playing tennis when he was 5, with Toni as his coach. It didn’t take long for his uncle to realize that he had a special athlete in his care. He’d grown up with another gifted athlete, his brother (and Nadal’s other uncle) Miguel Angel Nadal, who was a rugged central defender for the Spanish national soccer team and FC Barcelona, one of the world’s best-known clubs. He was an intimidator in front of the Spanish goal in the last three World Cups before retiring this spring. It’s hardly surprising that a young Rafael, the first of the next generation of Nadals, was attracted to his national sport, too.

But after winning the Spanish and European under-12 tennis titles in the mid-’90s, Nadal figured that a tennis racquet was his meal ticket. “When I was little, I was playing both sports,” he says. “When it was clear that my tennis was really taking off, I decided to go in that direction.”

By his early teens, Nadal was periodically training with Mallorca’s most famous tennis player, Carlos Moya, who is 10 years his senior and was born and raised in Palma, the island’s biggest city, 30 miles west of Nadal’s hometown of Manacor. “Carlos was always the player I looked up to,” Nadal says.

Unlike so many of Spain’s best players, including Moya, who moved to Barcelona to train at the national tennis center, Nadal has remained with his family in Manacor. There, he shares a five-story apartment building with his grandparents, his parents, his sister, and Toni and his family. The close quarters are by choice: The Nadal family is prosperous, with extensive property holdings on Mallorca and a window company owned by Rafael’s father, Sebastian.

Although futbol is part of his past, you can still see the soccer player in Nadal on a tennis court. His scissors-kicking, fist-rattling, howl-at-the-heavens reaction to a timely winner resembles nothing so much as a post-goal celebration, and it’s the need to let the public know what he’s feeling that could make him the biggest Spanish tennis star of the last 20 years.

Spain has had its share of top-flight talent in recent decades, beginning with Emilio Sanchez in the 1980s and continuing with Sergi Bruguera, Alex Corretja, Moya, Albert Costa, and Juan Carlos Ferrero. Yet in spite of the country’s well-earned reputation for pageantry, spontaneity, and exuberance, those players have been self-contained men on the court. Even Corretja, the most genial of the group, had difficulty transmitting the warmth of his personality, partly because his style of play was grindingly unspectacular.

Nadal is the opposite of all that. He has an on-court charisma that conjures the Spanish stereotypes of swaggering, arch-backed matadors and olive-skinned, long-haired futbolistas. And for anyone in Spain who was not yet convinced of the kid’s ability to embrace the big moment, last year’s Davis Cup final, with its record crowds of 27,200 and huge television audiences, set the record straight.

“I’ve always wanted to play the big matches,” Nadal says. “I’ve always liked this pressure, ever since I was a boy.”

That attitude bodes well for his chances of winning a major title.

But there’s still work to be done. His heavily spun serve, a weak left-handed argument compared to the arm-twisting force of his forehand, remains an issue on surfaces other than clay, although it didn’t keep him from pushing Lleyton Hewitt to five sets on Rebound Ace in the fourth round of this year’s Australian Open and taking Roger Federer to five in the NASDAQ-100 final.

“Rafael’s a marvel,” says Manuel Santana, the Spaniard who won Roland Garros in 1961 and ’64. “All he needs to do is improve his serve, and we’ll have a grand champion.”

Nadal has increased the velocity of his serve in recent months, using a lower toss and an abbreviated take-back to help him occasionally reach the upper 120-m.p.h. range. But his lack of a consistently huge delivery, coupled with his reliance on heavy topspin at the baseline, means that he has to fight like a pit bull for more points and dig more deeply into his reserves than bigger, flatter hitters like Federer and Marat Safin.

“He’s using up a lot of energy and not just on hitting the shots,” says last year’s French Open finalist, Guillermo Coria. “When he learns how to channel some of that, he’ll be even more dangerous.”

Perhaps, but for the moment it’s difficult to imagine Nadal without the leaps and fist pumps. Such theatrics might not always help him win tournaments, but they’re part of his character, and a big part of his appeal to a global audience that should get the chance to see him holding up the Coupe des Mousquetaires in Paris one day.

First things first, though: He has to play in the French Open.

Carlita
05-15-2005, 09:01 AM
:yeah: Thanks for the article!! :D

adelaide
05-18-2005, 01:33 PM
5 DAYS! :bounce::bounce::bounce:

http://www.eurosport.es/home/pages/v4/l6/s57/playermultimedia_lng6_rub9_spo57_ven20191_formatid 4.shtml
There's a video of Rafael talking about RG.. I havent seen it yet though.

Gaelle
05-18-2005, 02:47 PM
Roland Garros begin in just a few days right now!!!I'm so excited!!!It' s gonna be so great and I hope Rafa is gonna play well!!!He has everything for.. ;)
Do you know in which hotel he's???!!!

soso
05-18-2005, 03:36 PM
There are 5 hotels for the moment

adelaide
05-19-2005, 01:45 PM
hewitt is not going to be there..so.
........number 4 seed it is. :woohoo:

soso
05-19-2005, 05:30 PM
Rafa arrived this morning in Paris !

Saumon
05-19-2005, 05:42 PM
he's practicing on the Lenglen court right now :p

~EMiLiTA~
05-20-2005, 08:15 AM
now that he's in Paris, may he not leave again until he has the trophy!!!

~EMiLiTA~
05-20-2005, 11:41 AM
RAFA PLAYS BURGSMULLER FIRST ROUND!!!!

adelaide
05-20-2005, 12:57 PM
He could play Richie Gasquet in the third round. :(
VAMOS.

Iza
05-20-2005, 02:38 PM
a pic from the draw ceremony
http://www.rolandgarros.com/images/pics/large/b_h_tirage_nadal_20_01.jpg

NicoFan
05-20-2005, 03:44 PM
Vamos RAFA!

All the way to the trophy!

:woohoo:

Jorge
05-20-2005, 05:29 PM
Rafa got a very tough draw, nonetheless I trust him to reach "at least" semis and with a bit of "champion's luck" he could grab the title! :yeah:

Eruwen
05-21-2005, 07:16 AM
a pic from the draw ceremony
http://www.rolandgarros.com/images/pics/large/b_h_tirage_nadal_20_01.jpg :scratch: The shadow of that trophy looks really weird in that pic :lol: :o

Carlita
05-21-2005, 08:58 AM
Rafa got a very tough draw, nonetheless I trust him to reach "at least" semis and with a bit of "champion's luck" he could grab the title! :yeah::rolleyes: He's got himself "to blame" :p :lol:

Still, he did make a better draw than most did the past few weeks!!!!:cool:

:bigclap: RAFAAAAAAAAAA

adelaide
05-21-2005, 12:08 PM
:scratch: The shadow of that trophy looks really weird in that pic :lol: :o
:lol: ;)

~EMiLiTA~
05-21-2005, 02:37 PM
i don't actually think Rafa's draw is THAT bad

freesbee
05-21-2005, 05:05 PM
:scratch: The shadow of that trophy looks really weird in that pic :lol: :o

:lol:

Go Rafa :yeah: make the MTF chicas proud :banana:

Carlita
05-22-2005, 03:08 PM
:woohoo: Rafa plays the second match on Court one on Monday!

:bounce: VAMOS LIL MAN

sonia
05-22-2005, 04:23 PM
Vamos Rafa!!!! :bigclap:

RogiFan88
05-22-2005, 04:58 PM
ALLEZ, RAFAEL!!

Jorge
05-23-2005, 12:19 PM
6-1 7-6 6-1 over Burgsmüller. Toughest than expected but still a convincing performance. now, who's next? :cool:

freesbee
05-23-2005, 01:41 PM
Malisse, who beat Fish quite easily...

VAMOS RAFA :bounce:

~EMiLiTA~
05-23-2005, 02:14 PM
good to see Rafa won in straight sets. for some reason i've been so nervous about him at this tournament...i'm on edge when he plays and i'm not normally like that...i think it's cos i want him to win so badly hahaha...i must calm down.

now for Malisse!!!! VINGA RAFEL!!!

adelaide
05-23-2005, 02:55 PM
:hug: Emilita. he must be so happy right now.. finally winning on Paris clay :D
Well done Rafael!!!!!! :) good luck against Malisse now :banana:

Richie's struggling..............:(

eddie_hyden
05-23-2005, 03:19 PM
congrats rafa on the first win in RG.

he mentioned blisters on his hand has not completely healed yet.

i hope it won't bother him.

**sending healing power**

cheers all!

eddie_hyden
05-23-2005, 03:23 PM
good to see Rafa won in straight sets. for some reason i've been so nervous about him at this tournament...i'm on edge when he plays and i'm not normally like that...i think it's cos i want him to win so badly hahaha...i must calm down.

now for Malisse!!!! VINGA RAFEL!!!

haha me too. it's such a torture watching rafa plays, everytime his ball gets into net, or over the lines, my heart skips a beat.

i so want him to win this.

but i still enjoy it when he 'vamos'es and you know...wins.

p/s the lime shirt looked so refreshing. it was always orange recently...

adelaide
05-23-2005, 05:05 PM
Interview! :D

THE MODERATOR: Questions in English or French.

Q. How did it feel your first time playing at Roland Garros? What was it like for you?
RAFAEL NADAL: I feel good. (Switching into Spanish) I feel fine. It's not the best match I've played in recent times. Of course, when you play at a Grand Slam tournament, you're under more stress. Well, the important thing, of course, is to win and to go on to the next round and then to play better.
(In English.) I feel good. I don't play my best match today. I only hope improve for after tomorrow, no? I going to practice tomorrow and I will try improve my tennis.

Q. How is the finger? You had a bad finger in Roma, a cut and a blister. How is that?
RAFAEL NADAL: Better.

Q. Better?
RAFAEL NADAL: Better.

Q. Doesn't hurt, no problem?
RAFAEL NADAL: No, no problem. Is not closed.

Q. Poco problem?
RAFAEL NADAL: No, is not totally closed, but I feel better.

Q. If all goes to plan, I think you'll play Gasquet in the third round. Are you looking forward to that? Are you excited about playing him again?
RAFAEL NADAL: So I don't know, no? I play after tomorrow against Malisse. Gasquet won today? He play after, so he need won matches. I need only one more. I don't know, I only think about the next match. I don't think about the other matches.

Q. What is most difficult about learning to speak English? What do you find the most difficult? What do you enjoy?
RAFAEL NADAL: I don't know. (In Spanish.) The tenses are very difficult, the verbs. It's very difficult for me to master the tenses in English.

Q. Could you talk about the atmosphere out there in that court? Did playing in this tournament meet your expectations, what you thought it might be like?
RAFAEL NADAL: (In English.) Yes, it's good atmosphere. Lot of people in the court. I feel good, no? I am happy because is my first French Open. I want play my best tennis here, but is not easy. I can't play very well every match. I need improve a lot my tennis for next days.

Q. Where specifically do you feel you need to improve your tennis?
RAFAEL NADAL: I need a little bit more confidence in the shots. I think the ball is a little bit strange. It's moving a little. And then it adapt, adapt the court, adapt the ball. So after I have a little bit more confidence in the shots, no?

Q. Does it seem very strange, you grow up in Spain, and Roland Garros is the big tournament, then you play Australian Open, you play Wimbledon, you play US Open, then the last one you play is Roland Garros? Seems a bit funny this would be the last one. Usually for a Spanish player it would be the first one. I know funny circumstances, but still a bit of a surprise?
RAFAEL NADAL: Yes, but I have injury the last two years, have bad luck. This year is my first French Open. And today I can play my first match, and I happy for that, no?
(In Spanish.) Don't laugh, because then I won't try. I'm trying to speak English to make English speakers happy. :rolls:

THE MODERATOR: Questions in Spanish.

Q. You're talking as though this were just an extra match, as though this match had nothing special. You're playing in Roland Garros. You seem to take that as nothing special.
RAFAEL NADAL: Well, no, I was a little bit more nervous than usual. I felt maybe a little insecure. You know, it is another match. You know, there are other players, Carlos Moya, that I've been speaking to. They say they felt the same way. That really provides reassurance.
My idea was really to look at this as one more match, with nothing really special about it. I played another Grand Slam tournaments, Wimbledon and so on. Well, maybe it isn't that special.

Q. How do you feel about seeing so many people, even during training and practice?
RAFAEL NADAL: I'm very pleased that people take so much interest in me thanks to the crowd. It provides motivation to win more matches. I'm told I'm a favorite at the press conferences, and that's bothering because sometimes I tend to believe that and it puts pressure. It's better to play when you're not under pressure, just thinking about the match.
I think it's easier when you win to win after that.

Q. You've been compared to Boris Becker. What do you think?
RAFAEL NADAL: Well, you keep telling me that. I don't think I should be favorite the way I played today. I'm a player who won the last tournaments on clay. I'm 18 years old. But about being a favorite, well, no, I don't think I've ever really been a favorite. Federer in Wimbledon maybe was a favorite. But on clay courts, everything is very open. You can't really say there's a favorite player.
Thank you for the comparison with Becker.

Q. Do you know Malisse? Do you know him well?
RAFAEL NADAL: No. I played with him second round of Monte‑Carlo. I know he's a dangerous player. I know he's very aggressive. I know that he'll try to defeat me. I'll try to make sure he doesn't dominate the game.

Q. You know he was suspended for four weeks?
RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, I read about that yesterday.

Q. You only found out yesterday.
RAFAEL NADAL: Yes, I found out he was expelled from Miami, that he got a fine. I only found out yesterday he had been suspended for four weeks.

Q. This was your debut in France. What is your aim?
RAFAEL NADAL: Well, you know, to go to the end. Today was a difficult player. He was trying not to let me get my own pace. Very often I had to go to the net. I was a bit nervous because it was the first match. You know, that's typical, isn't it, with your first match wherever you're playing.
Sometimes he was playing short shots. I wasn't feeling that confident. In the second set, things got a little bit complicated for me. But the first set went fine. In the third set, again, I was dominating. Of course, I felt less nervous in the third set because I really had an advantage.

Q. How did you feel about your opponent? The second set was tricky.
RAFAEL NADAL: Yes. Anything could have happened in the second set. He was leading 3‑1 in the tiebreak. Of course, anything could have happened at that point in time during the match. He's a difficult player. His style I find difficult. He doesn't go to the net. I played with him last year at Indian Wells. He'd been playing behind the baseline. Today he played differently. He was being a little more aggressive.

Q. There are lots of Spaniards in Paris. When you go and have a beer at the nighttime, it's a real party, isn't it? 19 Spaniards. :drink:
RAFAEL NADAL: Well, no. The 19 Spaniards aren't all in the same hotel. This is something that happens everywhere in the world. It's easier if you have a fellow countryman.

Q. Who do you talk more to?
RAFAEL NADAL: I get along with all the Spaniards. Moya, Feliciano, those are the ones I talk to most.

Q. Are you worried about the fact that your next opponents will also change the style of their game when they play against you? Everybody thinks you're the favorite, so people try to change their tennis.
RAFAEL NADAL: Well, it's both positive and negative. It's positive because if they're going to change the way they play, they might not play as well, as though if I were trying to change my style and not play from the baseline. I'm not going to improve my game if I change my style maybe. I don't know.
Today from the baseline I didn't have that many options, so that's why I tried to go to the net. But Malisse, well, he might also change his style. I don't know. But whatever happens, everybody tries to play as best as possible. If he tries to play in an aggressive way, that's what he'll do. If he tries to stick to his normal game, then that's probably what he's going to do because you usually play better when you stick to your style.
In any case, I'm going to play my own game, not try to make any mistakes, no faults, try to dominate.

Q. Football. What do you think about Mallorca's miraculous match? Did you watch it?
RAFAEL NADAL: Yes, it was an incredible match. About a month ago, I thought this would be absolutely impossible. Now I'm very happy really because we won against Levante. We played against Villarreal. It really has been a major success.

Q. (No microphone.)
RAFAEL NADAL: A month ago I thought it was impossible. Now Mallorca is well placed because we'll play champions against Levante. It's a home match. Normally Villarreal should win.

Q. Between Mallorca and Madrid?
RAFAEL NADAL: Mallorca.

Q. Back to tennis.
RAFAEL NADAL: Yes, that's better.

Q. You've had a rest. That's been useful, hasn't it? Or did it make you nervous?
RAFAEL NADAL: Well, both really. It's positive, but it's maybe a little negative also because you haven't been playing for a while, so that makes you sort of nervous. You're afraid you might not play as well as you played before. After Miami, the rest was good. I didn't play maybe the first matches very well, but then I played better. Now the feeling is maybe the same. First match, I find it difficult to find my pace, and that's natural.
When the important matches arrive, you need to be a hundred percent. It's important to win the first matches, even if you don't play in a spectacular way.

Q. Are you afraid of getting tired physically if you have to play a second week? For example, today you almost lost a set. You know when you lose a set, you have to pay for it physically. You're more tired later.
RAFAEL NADAL: Well, I don't really want to think about the second week. I'm going to play one match at a time. I don't really want to think about what's going to happen in the second week. That's all very theoretical. There's no point thinking about whether you're going to play a one‑and‑a‑half‑hour match or a six‑hour match. You have to take it one match at a time. That's what I've always done. All my life I've thought about the next match and not to look ahead of that.

Q. You're going to celebrate your birthday in Paris.
RAFAEL NADAL: Well, it's the day of the semifinal. I might be fishing in Mallorca. :lol: But I hope I'll be here in Paris to celebrate my birthday. I might be on holiday, but we shall see.

You can watch the video here too -> http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/news/interviews/2005-05-23/200505231116864270136.html

Iza
05-23-2005, 05:08 PM
cute interview :cool: thx Adelaide :kiss:

Vamos Rafa, beat XMan :rocker2: !!!!

Iza
05-23-2005, 05:15 PM
(In Spanish.) Don't laugh, because then I won't try. I'm trying to speak English to make English speakers happy.

:rolls: :rolls: :rolls: :rolls:

adelaide
05-23-2005, 05:16 PM
Iza, I'd like to send you condolences for the Marcos match today.

but I do love that bit in the interview....... too funny :rolls:

Iza
05-23-2005, 05:20 PM
I know...it's sad :hysteric: bad draw really bad draw :sobbing:

Luckily Rafa, Richie and Mario cheered me up. And I hope Nando too.

Carlita
05-23-2005, 07:10 PM
:woohoo: bravo Little Manzana Man :lol: Please go back to being a Lil Naranja... please..... me no like zie green....:o :rolleyes:

alexito
05-24-2005, 12:35 AM
yesssssssssssssss rafaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
congratulations champion.

Björki
05-24-2005, 06:00 AM
Rafa :bounce:

~EMiLiTA~
05-24-2005, 11:23 AM
Rafa's interviews are too cute...if he thinks english verb tenses are hard...he's lucky he doesn't have to learn spanish verb tenses...way harder for english speakers!!

adelaide
05-24-2005, 08:29 PM
He's playing on centrecourt, the last match tomorrow :)

Good luck Rafa :)

knight_ley
05-25-2005, 12:45 AM
vamos rafa!!!!!!!!!!!

RogiFan88
05-25-2005, 01:03 AM
Rafa's interviews are too cute...if he thinks english verb tenses are hard...he's lucky he doesn't have to learn spanish verb tenses...way harder for english speakers!!

smart little guy, at least he knows what verb tenses are! ;)

Iza
05-25-2005, 05:10 AM
Vamos vamos vamos!!!!!! Hope stupid ES will show HIM instead of Fed :mad:

chocc0
05-25-2005, 07:07 AM
your telling me! but it hasn't been too bad so far! A me mi gusta espanol :yeah:
my spanish teacher is so mean she takes marks off for not having tildes! It's so mean :sad: But i think english would be harder to learn than any other language it's just so weird but yeah he does sound cute speaking english i have finally heard him i was like awww i wanted to give him a hug :hug:

Jennay
05-25-2005, 09:05 PM
I agree! Some of the verb tenses in Spanish are :eek:, especially to a native English-speaker!

You have fantastic Spanish, from what I've seen, Emilita. :yeah: :D

gogo_guga
05-25-2005, 09:48 PM
Q. Are you going to practice with a left‑hander tomorrow?

RICHARD GASQUET: (In French.) No. I'm playing doubles with Gael tomorrow, but I know how to play Nadal. I've played against him. I know what to do and I know how to beat him. I will not try to train with a lefty tomorrow. I don't need that to play against Nadal.

I hope Rafa kicks Gasquet's ass really badly on Friday because Gasquet is a cocky bag of shit!!

RogiFan88
05-26-2005, 01:49 AM
Iza, they showed both Rafa and Rogi simultaneously... both good matches too!

Chocco: your teacher isn't mean. Just try to learn the accents as part of the letters/sounds. That way, you won't forget to add them. It will become automatic. The tilde DOES make a difference. No problema! At least Spanish accents are true accents, unlike French ones [they are but in a different way]. Good luck! Buena suerte!

VAMOS, RAFA, just keep beating Richard!!

knight_ley
05-26-2005, 02:32 AM
vamos rafa!!!!!!!!!!! :bounce:

chocc0
05-26-2005, 06:59 AM
Iza, they showed both Rafa and Rogi simultaneously... both good matches too!

Chocco: your teacher isn't mean. Just try to learn the accents as part of the letters/sounds. That way, you won't forget to add them. It will become automatic. The tilde DOES make a difference. No problema! At least Spanish accents are true accents, unlike French ones [they are but in a different way]. Good luck! Buena suerte!

VAMOS, RAFA, just keep beating Richard!!
Lol it's not that bad i am getting better actually and topping the class except my tarea today was shit :( but i still have a distinction average and thats good considering half of the course is failing!

NicoFan
05-26-2005, 02:58 PM
Q. Are you going to practice with a left‑hander tomorrow?

RICHARD GASQUET: (In French.) No. I'm playing doubles with Gael tomorrow, but I know how to play Nadal. I've played against him. I know what to do and I know how to beat him. I will not try to train with a lefty tomorrow. I don't need that to play against Nadal.

I hope Rafa kicks Gasquet's ass really badly on Friday because Gasquet is a cocky bag of shit!!

Me too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CRUSH HIM RAFA!!! CRUSH HIM!!

I'm praying for 6-0, 6-0, 6-0.

The arrogance of that kid. I dislike him so much.

All the mind games he plays out there. And the "I'm hurt, I'm hurt" games.

CRUSH HIM RAFA CRUSH HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!

:armed: :boxing:

ayena
05-26-2005, 03:39 PM
I got nothing more to add NicoFan :D I agree with you totally ;)
:bounce: Vamos Rafa :bounce:
And here's "nice" combination of those two in one pic :rolleyes:

NicoFan
05-26-2005, 03:42 PM
Love it Ayena!

I hope Gasquet is crying and looks like he's destroyed by the time Rafa gets through with him.

No one disses one of our sweet boys and gets away with it... ;)

I hope the entire Spanish Armada is there to support our RAFA!

:boxing:

Sveta's Slave
05-26-2005, 03:42 PM
just watched his interview from day 3....how sweet is that? he´s so cute when he´s trying to speak english

NicoFan
05-26-2005, 04:15 PM
I got nothing more to add NicoFan :D I agree with you totally ;)
:bounce: Vamos Rafa :bounce:
And here's "nice" combination of those two in one pic :rolleyes:

Hey Ayena - is it okay if I post that picture on my msn board? Its being transformed from a Nico board to a Rafa board for one day only tomorrow during the GAsquet match...lol!!!!!!!

ayena
05-26-2005, 04:24 PM
Love it Ayena!

I hope Gasquet is crying and looks like he's destroyed by the time Rafa gets through with him.

No one disses one of our sweet boys and gets away with it... ;)

I hope the entire Spanish Armada is there to support our RAFA!

:boxing:

:wavey: NicoFan! I'll be watching that match tmorrow and I'll be watching crying Gasquet crashed by our sweetie :devil:
And yeah of course you can use that pic on your MSN board :hug:

NicoFan
05-26-2005, 04:27 PM
:wavey: NicoFan! I'll be watching that match tmorrow and I'll be watching crying Gasquet crashed by our sweetie :devil:
And yeah of course you can use that pic on your MSN board :hug:

Gracias! :)

And I'll be watching too! Got my Espana flag ready to wave and my Espana shirt ready to wear!!! :)

ayena
05-26-2005, 04:32 PM
That will help Rafa for sure :lol:

adelaide
05-26-2005, 05:13 PM
I really don't understand how "I've played him before, I know how to play him, I don't need to practice with a lefty" makes Richard a cocky bag of shit.

adelaide
05-26-2005, 05:16 PM
Anyway they are up 3rd on centrecout tomorrow -- fair play to both :)

Vamos Rafael :bounce:

NicoFan
05-26-2005, 05:26 PM
I really don't understand how "I've played him before, I know how to play him, I don't need to practice with a lefty" makes Richard a cocky bag of shit.

He hasn't won anything yet in comparison to our sweet sweet Rafael. And lost to Rafa last time he played him. He's not going to practice with a lefty (which isn't a very smart move), and he claims he knows how to beat Rafa - again, after he just lost to him.

Gasquet tried to play games with Rafa during the match to. Kept holding up his hand when Rafa was trying to serve. Rafa eventually did it back to him. And then that timeout for the trainer - did it right when Rafa started to really beat him. Not just us - the announcers were talking about how bad it was. And it really wasnt' a physical problem except that he is really out of shape.

I don't like it when a player doesn't give respect to their opponent. Especially when the opponent is one of my chicos, and is 1000 times the player and is a true gentleman. I'm very proud of Rafa - he's a good boy that is handling his success very well. Very classy young man. Espana should be very proud of him.

NicoFan
05-26-2005, 05:27 PM

He hasn't won anything yet in comparison to our sweet sweet Rafael. And lost to Rafa last time he played him. He's not going to practice with a lefty (which isn't a very smart move), and he claims he knows how to beat Rafa - again, after he just lost to him.

Gasquet tried to play games with Rafa during the match to. Kept holding up his hand when Rafa was trying to serve. Rafa eventually did it back to him. And then that timeout for the trainer - did it right when Rafa started to really beat him. Not just us - the announcers were talking about how bad it was. And it really wasnt' a physical problem except that he is really out of shape.

I don't like it when a player doesn't give respect to their opponent. Especially when the opponent is one of my chicos, and is 1000 times the player and is a true gentleman. I'm very proud of Rafa - he's a good boy that is handling his success very well. Very classy young man. Espana should be very proud of him. :worship:

NicoFan
05-26-2005, 05:30 PM

He hasn't won anything yet in comparison to our sweet sweet Rafael. And lost to Rafa the last time he played him. He's not going to practice with a lefty (which isn't a very smart move), and he claims he knows how to beat Rafa - again, after he just lost to him.

I don't like it when a player doesn't give respect to their opponent. Especially when the opponent is one of my chicos, and is 1000 times the player and is a true gentleman. I'm very proud of Rafa - he's a good boy that is handling his success very well. Very classy young man. Espana should be very proud of him. :worship:

NicoFan
05-26-2005, 05:33 PM
lol! sorry about that....I looked like it didn't go through - and it did!

:-)

adelaide
05-26-2005, 05:38 PM
Well you do have a point. But remember earlier this year when Rafael played Roger in Miami, the press asked him if he was concerned/nervous and Rafael said no. No one took that as disrespect or cockiness. Of course Richard knows how to beat him -- it's a matter of whether he applies the knowledge or not.

I just don't see this as disrespect. Richard said over and over again that Rafael is a terrfic player, he's got a great game, and whatnot. I just think that his comment concerning his match tomorrow was a way of showing his confidence, not disrespect. A player should be allowed to say "I think I can beat him". And when he does say it, I don't think it should come through as cockiness.

NicoFan
05-26-2005, 06:34 PM
You have points too. ;)

I just prefer my Nico and my Spanish Armada chicos and like the way they behave on the court and speak to the press better.

So just a difference of opinion... :)

adelaide
05-26-2005, 06:36 PM
I absolutely do agree that Rafael handles the press better than Richard does :angel:

NicoFan
05-26-2005, 06:47 PM
Phew...war between US and Canada averted...lol! ;)

And I hope too that its a well played and fair match for both chicos. I think we're going to be watching these two battle it out for years to come.

Add to the mix Almagro, Monaco and Monfils if they keep coming up, and tennis is looking good for years to come. :)

adelaide
05-26-2005, 07:49 PM
Baghdatis too ;)

RogiFan88
05-26-2005, 08:28 PM
Lol it's not that bad i am getting better actually and topping the class except my tarea today was shit :( but i still have a distinction average and thats good considering half of the course is failing!

Good to hear, chocco! Sounds like you're doing well!

VAMOS, RAFA!!! A ganar contra Ricardo! ;)

gogo_guga
05-26-2005, 08:29 PM
Well you do have a point. But remember earlier this year when Rafael played Roger in Miami, the press asked him if he was concerned/nervous and Rafael said no. No one took that as disrespect or cockiness. Of course Richard knows how to beat him -- it's a matter of whether he applies the knowledge or not.

I just don't see this as disrespect. Richard said over and over again that Rafael is a terrfic player, he's got a great game, and whatnot. I just think that his comment concerning his match tomorrow was a way of showing his confidence, not disrespect. A player should be allowed to say "I think I can beat him". And when he does say it, I don't think it should come through as cockiness.

I think that you're being too nice about it. To me Richard is kind of a spoiled brat. It is one thing when you say that you are not nervous to play someone, but look at Richard's wording. Don't you sense at least a little bit of trash talking. I know I do. And the other thing is, we can't even say that Richard's cocky answer was a misunderstanding due to his poor English because the interview was done entirely in French!
One last thing, didn't Richard get kicked out of the US Open last year for hitting a linesperson with his racquet and causing him/her to bleed? You may disagree with me, but I don't think that Richard is the classiest of acts.

adelaide
05-26-2005, 09:00 PM
it's translated, so...... you never reallly know.

media handling is something that's still new to Richie. it's not perfect I agree, i just don't see the need to be so harsh about it :)

alexito
05-26-2005, 10:28 PM
I am very angry. nadal have difficult draw moreover play double. he will be tired in second week.

adelaide
05-27-2005, 12:11 AM
alexito dear, Rafael's not playing doubles. :) :) :)

Carlita
05-27-2005, 06:51 AM
:yippee: VAMOS RAFAAAAAAAAAAA :yippee:

it could be a tough one today!!! :bounce: you can do it!!!:D

chocc0
05-27-2005, 07:20 AM
i'm so nervous and i am not even going to be able to watch it :scared:

Vamos!

Björki
05-27-2005, 07:35 AM
Vamos Rafa :bounce:

~EMiLiTA~
05-27-2005, 11:47 AM
i'm so nervous and i am not even going to be able to watch it :scared:

Vamos!

exactly! same here! wish i could see it though :(

VAMOS RAFA!!! A POR RICHARD!!!

NicoFan
05-27-2005, 12:24 PM
exactly! same here! wish i could see it though :(

VAMOS RAFA!!! A POR RICHARD!!!

Emilita - I'm buying a DVD recorder this weekend. Once I figure out how to work it - which may be a month since I'm tech challenged... ;) - I can send you some of these matches you are missing. I've got a lot of Rafa on tape.

eddie_hyden
05-27-2005, 12:31 PM
hi all...joining all of u who are nervous bout coming nadal - gasquet match.

personally i don't quite like gasquet. i agree he sounded a bit cocky in his interview answers and it's not because i prefer rafa. i heard other players interview about rafa as well and i don't remember any that sounded cocky or anything.

same reason why i don't like the william sisters or sharapova.

anyway, hope rafa'll win tonite.

a big VAMOS!!!

cheers!

tousledbaby
05-27-2005, 01:20 PM
Ahhh I can't see the match, too because cycling is more important here :mad: . But I will follow the match at the live-scoreboard of the official site.

Here are just some pics:

NicoFan
05-27-2005, 01:24 PM
Not staying on to post, because want to concentrate on RAFA, but want to give a big buena suerte to RAFA!

Crush Gasquet, RAFA! Win big little man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

adelaide
05-27-2005, 01:30 PM
He broke to open the match -- nice. VAMOS.

i want to go home and watch :sad:

~EMiLiTA~
05-27-2005, 01:39 PM
Emilita - I'm buying a DVD recorder this weekend. Once I figure out how to work it - which may be a month since I'm tech challenged... ;) - I can send you some of these matches you are missing. I've got a lot of Rafa on tape.

aww thanks Nicofan that's so sweet! i don't have a dvd player though :( unless i somehow manage to figure out how to play them through my computer...but alas i'm also tech challenged!!!

i'm so nervous for this match...I WANT TO WATCH IT :fiery:

AUPA RAFA!!!! :banana:

tousledbaby
05-27-2005, 01:44 PM
Waaah I'm so excited, too. Hopefully he will win the match.

3:1 Vamos! C'mon!

eddie_hyden
05-27-2005, 02:08 PM
yaaay...got the first set...

nice and tight match. this is bad for my heart.honestly ;)

tousledbaby
05-27-2005, 02:12 PM
6:4 1:0 VAMOS!

NicoFan
05-27-2005, 02:16 PM
Just stopping by to say yeay to RAFA for the first set!

Broke Richard in teh first game, but now broken right back....shoot!

Don't let him back in little man!

And I hope Uncle Toni has warned him - Gasquet always pretends to be hurt when he starts to lose...I'm sure he'll play the "I cramping" card anytime now. Ignore him Rafa...doesn't matter what he does.

tousledbaby
05-27-2005, 02:27 PM
he got the break again...yeah...:worship:

eddie_hyden
05-27-2005, 02:46 PM
what a great last point to break Gasquet and take the 2nd set.

Rafa athletism was amazing, he could hit the ball from any angle!!

..not that i didn't already know that...but i'm still impressed :)

come on, one more set to go!

~EMiLiTA~
05-27-2005, 02:48 PM
RAFAAAAAA!!! ONE MORE SET TO GO!!! SIGUE ASIIIIIIII!!!!

NicoFan
05-27-2005, 02:50 PM
That was an awesome point!!!!

And did I tell you!!! I know this kid's MO. Get me a trainer!!!

I think our RAFA knows it though...he won't let it bother him!!!

VAMOS little man!

One more sweetie!

Iza
05-27-2005, 02:52 PM
VAMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOS!!!!

http://www.rolandgarros.com/images/netcam/large/chatrier/012.jpg

http://www.rolandgarros.com/images/netcam/large/chatrier/005.jpg

Iza
05-27-2005, 02:55 PM
another pic ;)
http://www.rolandgarros.com/images/netcam/large/chatrier/015.jpg :hearts:

Vamos Rafael, get this match already :rocker2: !!!!

Iza
05-27-2005, 02:57 PM
ES showing Giro d'Italia :fiery: :smash: :armed: !!!!!

eddie_hyden
05-27-2005, 03:10 PM
one more game in 3rd set for consecutive win no 20!!!

NicoFan
05-27-2005, 03:15 PM
Well it wasn't 6-0, 6-0, 6-0 like I wanted but I'll take it!!!

6-4, 6-3, 6-2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And wonderful sportsmanship at the end - asked Gasquet how he was doing after they shook hands.

He's such a sweetie! I just love this kid!!!!

Jorge
and pur dear Nadal has defeated Gasquet in 3 sets. Keep playng like that kid!! :banana:

eddie_hyden
RAFA WON!!

wow that was a long hug with gasquet after the match. they sure looked fine together despite all these rivalry thingy hyped by the media...

~EMiLiTA~
RAFAAAAA!!! U LITTLE CHAMP!!!!!! HOW ABOUT THAT FOR AN ANHILATION!!!

WHEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!! http://www.mainzelahr.de/smile/no-smilie/blume13.gif

NicoFan
05-27-2005, 03:16 PM
Also a tidbit the announcers were saying.

Gasquest said yesterday that Rafa's mental attitude was great - said it was like he was from another planet! lol!

The kid is so mentally tough...I've watched tennis for more years than I will admit to, and its so rare to see a player as focused as Rafa is.

eddie_hyden
05-27-2005, 03:17 PM
the sport channel changed to another court when they were bout to interview gasquet...grrrrrr!!!!!

what happened after the match?? did they interview rafa??

NicoFan
05-27-2005, 03:17 PM
lol! It was anniliation!

Total destruction!!!

WHOO HOO!

Iza
05-27-2005, 03:18 PM
obv by the time ES show tennis, Rafa is already done :rolleyes:

NicoFan
05-27-2005, 03:18 PM
They didn't interview either on TV here in the US - but expected that...got to get in 10 minutes of commercials, and of course, get right over to the Venus match....lol!

Iza
05-27-2005, 03:20 PM
but it's great that he won! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: !

Don't be upset, Gasquet hun, you shook hands with this year's champ :yeah: !

Sparko1030
05-27-2005, 03:25 PM
Way to go Rafa!!! :dance: Awesome, just awesome!

eddie_hyden
05-27-2005, 03:31 PM
ok, since grosjean vs stepanek still going on in the 5th set, which one u'd prefer rafa to meet in next round??

rafa leading stepanek 3-0 head to head, but never met grosjean before...

NicoFan
05-27-2005, 03:32 PM
He'll beat either one so doesn't matter... :-)

eddie_hyden
05-27-2005, 03:40 PM
haha yeah...and long match now for both of them possibly won't help either ;)

knight_ley
05-27-2005, 03:46 PM
VAMOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

knight_ley
05-27-2005, 03:48 PM
ok, since grosjean vs stepanek still going on in the 5th set, which one u'd prefer rafa to meet in next round??

rafa leading stepanek 3-0 head to head, but never met grosjean before...

i'd like stepanek. he is injured with a terrible blister on his foot and rafa will run him around like crazy... i think stepanek would be a walk in the park for rafa... very easy match.

Carlita
05-27-2005, 04:00 PM
:woohoo: wow!! Well done RAFA!!!!!!! :bounce:

Did you see Carlos Costa Mary??? ;)

ayena
05-27-2005, 04:16 PM
Great job Rafa :bounce: Now another French for you: Sebastien Grosjean :rolleyes:

knight_ley
05-27-2005, 04:38 PM
:woohoo: wow!! Well done RAFA!!!!!!! :bounce:

Did you see Carlos Costa Mary??? ;)

I DID SEE HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They zoomed in on Toni a number of times but never zoomed out enough to see Carlos, but a few times during play when you could see Toni in the audience I did see Carlos!!!!!!! One of these matches I am praying they show me a close up of him! :lol: In Rafa's match vs. Malisse they even SAID Carlos Costa was there and mentioned him, but then only showed Toni! :mad: ESPN2 hates my love of Carlos Costa... :lol:

eddie_hyden
05-27-2005, 05:01 PM
rafa interview from rolland garros website, so sweet, lol...

Q. At the end of the match when you congratulated Gasquet, you put your arm around him and spoke to him. Could you tell us what you told Gasquet?

RAFAEL NADAL: No. I ask him if he have any problem, any physical problem, because I see you a little bit tired. So he say to me, "No, I am okay. You play very well. Very good luck for the rest of tournament," no? We speak a little bit.

Q. In English, French or Spanish?

RAFAEL NADAL: In English (smiling). In my best English.

adelaide
05-27-2005, 05:06 PM
VAMOS! it certainly wasnt as tight as i would've liked, but hey, straight sets. i'll take it. gladly. ;)
these boys will hold up men's tennis long and strong. :D

good luck against Grosjean Rafael :hug:

ps -- mary i'm happy for you ;)

Iza
05-27-2005, 05:07 PM
Great job Rafa :bounce: Now another French for you: Sebastien Grosjean :rolleyes:

shouldn't be too hard. Vamos Rafa :rocker2: !!!

Iza
05-27-2005, 05:10 PM

Q. At the end of the match when you congratulated Gasquet, you put your arm around him and spoke to him. Could you tell us what you told Gasquet?

RAFAEL NADAL: No. I ask him if he have any problem, any physical problem, because I see you a little bit tired. So he say to me, "No, I am okay. You play very well. Very good luck for the rest of tournament," no? We speak a little bit.

ain't he so cute :kiss: ! You just gotta love him :hearts: ! His best English! Eat yer heart out, Rafa cutie!

adelaide
05-27-2005, 05:11 PM

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

Iza
05-27-2005, 05:11 PM
full interview :angel:

Q. Was it easier than you expected?

RAFAEL NADAL: (In English.) Of course. Before the match, I can't think I won 6‑4, 6‑3, 6‑2, no? I think Gasquet and me, we have pression, and I think the pression ‑‑

(In Spanish.) I'll say it in Spanish or else I'll get in trouble. Pressure affected us both, and I think probably, with everything that has been said, he had more pressure than me.

(In English.) And I think I play really good today, no?

Q. Back to the final point of the second set where you had to make a difficult backhand shot with your back to the net. Can you describe it in your own words?

RAFAEL NADAL: (In English.) I don't know. Is very important point. I can won the point, and that is very important, because I can won the second set, no? When I won the second set, the match is better for me, no?

Q. How difficult was it?

RAFAEL NADAL: (In English.) I don't know. All points is difficult. This one is difficult for the point and is difficult for the moment, no?

RAFAEL NADAL: (In English) No. I ask him if he have any problem, any physical problem, because I see you a little bit tired. So he say to me, "No, I am okay. You play very well. Very good luck for the rest of tournament," no? We speak a little bit.

RAFAEL NADAL: (In English.) In English (smiling). In my best English.

Q. How much did it make it easier for you that you were able to break him the first time he served in each set?

RAFAEL NADAL: (In English.) Yeah, that's important because to begin the match with breaks is important for the ‑‑ ("tranquilita") to be calm.

Q. Now that you've had this first time Grand Slam meeting, the two of you, there will be more over the years, what is your feelings about the future of your rivalry?

RAFAEL NADAL: (In English.) I don't know. I don't think so. Only Gasquet and me in the tour? We have lots of players ‑ Federer, Coria, Hewitt, not only this one, no? Normally in the next years, it's come back a lot of players, too, no? We not only have Gasquet and me.

Q. It was very hot today. The courts were very fast and hard.

RAFAEL NADAL: (In English.) Better for me, I think.

Q. How much more bounce did you get from the ball with your topspin today?

RAFAEL NADAL: (In English.) Yeah, I think the weather is better for me because I can ‑‑ the ball is when touch, bounces, is go good up, and that is important for me, no? For my game, that very important.

THE MODERATOR: Any other English or French?

RAFAEL NADAL: (In English.) No!

THE MODERATOR: Questions in Spanish.

Q. Now that it's all over, this comparison with Gasquet, do you think there's another player who can be a rival of yours?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, as I say, I don't think that you should have a rivalry with one player because there are many players. There's no one special player to be your rival. I mean, I'm not the best person to compare myself with anyone. I think I'm just a player among others, and I try to play as best as I can. There's nothing else.

I mean, we all try to play our best tennis. I don't think there's a rivalry between two players specifically. I think we're all rivals. We all want to win.

Q. I want to ask you, what about those pants you wear? Do you wear them because you like them or because you're paid a lot of money to wear them?

RAFAEL NADAL: Neither reason.

Q. But why do you wear these long pants? They're really strange. Where did you get the idea? Do you think they'll be allowed in Wimbledon?

RAFAEL NADAL: But those trousers are white.

Q. One woman tried to dress in white and it was a problem.

RAFAEL NADAL: 50 years ago, everybody wore those types of pants.

Q. But not today. Don't you think it would be better to play with shorts?

RAFAEL NADAL: No. I've been playing with these pants for some time. Nike decided I should wear them. Actually, I feel perfectly all right in them.

Q. And you've been winning a number of matches in them.

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, that's not an excuse. I'm not going to start saying I've won or lost for reasons of heat or pants. I think these pants are extremely comfortable. I feel perfectly at ease. I don't think they're any different from shorts.

Q. This is a marketing idea by Nike?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yes, but I like them.

Q. Do you think there's been too much talk and too much written on this match beforehand?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, I think that probably there's been a sort of rivalry made up between myself and Gasquet, and I don't think that it exists. I think we're two young players. Obviously here in France, there's much talk about their very good players. I think probably he's going to be very soon in the Top 10.

We both try to play as best we can. There's been a lot of talk. Possibly he's been affected by the pressure as I have. The fact that he was playing at home was possibly an extra pressure for him. That might have affected him and favored me.

Q. You started your first victory with an excellent score, but you've been improving your tennis since.

RAFAEL NADAL: Yes, the fact that I won today, I'm of course delighted. This was not an easy match in any way. Of course I'm delighted with my game today in spite of all the pressure and everything that was being said about the match.

Q. What do you think made the difference in the end between you and him?

RAFAEL NADAL: I think I was feeling quite strong out there on court. I think it was very difficult for him to make the point. We had very high shots, and a lot of players have problems with that. Gasquet is one of the best players on the tour.

But the fact that the clay was very dry today, the bounce was rather high, this might have been a problem for him. Because of these high shots, he might have lost a few points. That might have helped me dominate in this match, make him run around. This favored me.

Q. Today you've probably overcome a great hurdle. Is this a new tournament that's beginning?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, I must say it was a difficult match. Well, I felt quite well previously, with Malisse in particular, but I was probably thinking too much about this particular match. After that I'll just take it one match at a time.

Each match is a different story. I'm improving my game day after day. I'll try to do my best. I know that in any case as time goes on in the tournament, the matches will get more difficult and I could lose at any time. It's not because I've won this match that everything is done. I'm very happy with my game, but I'm very aware of the fact that I can lose any time.

Q. Is there anything in your life that has affected you, some special place, when you were very young?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, Roland Garros is a very important tournament for me. It's one of the most important in the year, and I would love to play well here. But I don't remember anything that struck me especially. I've watched a lot of finals here since I was a kid, but I don't remember anything special. There was Courier, Corretja with Moya, Berasategui, there was Bruguera. I remember a number of finals I watched here, but nothing special. I've come here to try to do my own game and to get my own name on the list.

Q. Would you bet on a final Nadal‑Federer?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, it can't be the final. Of course, the important thing is to reach the semifinal, which it would be against Federer. But I still have a few matches to get through. I don't like to think too far ahead. I don't even know about the next match. Is it Stepanek? Are they in the fifth set? Did Grosjean win? They're still playing? Is there a break?

Q. Federer was asked what he thought about the video, the cameras, for the replay.

RAFAEL NADAL: And he said he didn't like them, didn't he?

Q. Yes.

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, personally, I don't see why not. I think it's a novelty. It's interesting to be able to ask the linesmen to show me what happened exactly. I think it can be an interesting innovation. But I think it's also possible that you can only do it three times during a set, because otherwise we'd be doing it all the time.

Q. 5‑4, Love‑30, you were serving. Of course, the crowd was all for Gasquet. How did you face the difficult points?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, I had a similar situation in Monte‑Carlo. I was leading, then I lost a set, and in the end I lost the tiebreak. This time it was beginning to look pretty much the same. I was calm. I think I saved a few important points at Love‑30.

The first set was, of course, very important because there were difficult things, long rallies. I think this was actually good for me; it was important for me to win that first set.

Q. A comment about the crowd. Was it what you expected? Did you like it? Was it positive to have so many people with so many expectations around this match?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, I thought it was lovely. They obviously supported Gasquet. It's perfectly normal, of course. That, I completely understand. But there was never any lack of respect. I think that was wonderful.

I would like to actually thank the crowd for their wonderful participation.

Q. You spoke to Gasquet at the end of the match. What did you say to him?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, now I'm going to be able to say it in Spanish. It's easier for me. I asked him whether he had a physical problem because I saw that he was rather tired at the end of the match. In spite of having lost three sets to love, he said nothing was wrong with him, that I'd played very well, wished me good luck. I congratulated him for his recent successes. He wished me good luck for the rest of the tournament.

We do get on very well. There's no problem between us. We're good friends.

Iza
05-27-2005, 05:12 PM
pression? :haha: looks like Juanqui's got an heir :haha: :rolls:

adelaide
05-27-2005, 05:15 PM
Q. I want to ask you, what about those pants you wear? Do you wear them because you like them or because you're paid a lot of money to wear them?

RAFAEL NADAL: Neither reason.

Q. But why do you wear these long pants? They're really strange. Where did you get the idea? Do you think they'll be allowed in Wimbledon?

RAFAEL NADAL: But those trousers are white.

Q. One woman tried to dress in white and it was a problem.

RAFAEL NADAL: 50 years ago, everybody wore those types of pants.

Q. But not today. Don't you think it would be better to play with shorts?

RAFAEL NADAL: No. I've been playing with these pants for some time. Nike decided I should wear them. Actually, I feel perfectly all right in them.

Q. And you've been winning a number of matches in them.

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, that's not an excuse. I'm not going to start saying I've won or lost for reasons of heat or pants. I think these pants are extremely comfortable. I feel perfectly at ease. I don't think they're any different from shorts.

Q. This is a marketing idea by Nike?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yes, but I like them.
i want to smack that person. stop it already. :devil:

hahahahaha tenispanglish :rolls:

eddie_hyden
05-27-2005, 05:18 PM
pression? :haha: looks like Juanqui's got an heir :haha: :rolls:

Don't laugh, because then he won't try. He's trying to speak English to make English speakers happy....lol..

His interviews are always cute and entertaining too ;)

knight_ley
05-27-2005, 05:19 PM
ps -- mary i'm happy for you ;)

:lol: yay :) Hopefully we'll get a close up in the coming days ;)

Jennay
05-27-2005, 06:21 PM
Rafa :yeah:
Don't laugh, because then he won't try. He's trying to speak English to make English speakers happy....lol..
:haha:

RogiFan88
05-27-2005, 07:36 PM
absolutely love Rafa's interviews... so direct, honest and funny! ;)

Iza
05-27-2005, 07:50 PM
true :yeah: !

a nice pic with Rafa and Richie ;)

http://www.atptennis.com/shared/photos/180X250/nadal_gasquet_rg1.jpg

freesbee
05-27-2005, 08:04 PM
woooooooooh I'm so happy Rafa won :D and so easily :eek: I didn't expect that. Anyway, I couldn't see the match, as stupid Sporza was being pants again. :mad:

sonia
05-27-2005, 09:37 PM
Thanks fot the interview! ;)

Great match!!! :yeah:

adelaide
05-27-2005, 09:48 PM
http://roland-garros.france2.fr/touteslesvideos/index.php3?date=2005/05/18&id_article=5

tons of videos on that page. :inlove:

chocc0
05-28-2005, 03:50 AM
wooohoooo Rafa! Vamos!!!!!

~EMiLiTA~
05-28-2005, 11:47 AM
Rafa is a cutie pie...he's so honest and humble!

was Carlos Moya there at all to support him?

Aleksa's Laydee
05-29-2005, 09:38 AM
Heres a couple of pictures i took of rafa on sunday in the exhibition match v santoro :)

tousledbaby
05-29-2005, 12:22 PM
Mucha suerte, Rafael!:worship:

adelaide
05-29-2005, 01:18 PM
Thanks Alexa's Laydee :hug:

he's up on centrecourt after the Pierce-Schnyder match :) Good luck Rafael! :bounce:

Aleksa's Laydee
05-29-2005, 02:28 PM
thats alright :) :hug:

Carlita
05-29-2005, 04:36 PM
:bounce: VAMOS RAFAEL!!! Don't let that STUPID French crowd get to you! Can I say how Monsieur Grosjean is disappointing me at the moment??? He's about the only who can make them stop..... Gosh I"m so pissed at him!:fiery: Geez man, one louzy point!!!

GROW UP!!! (and that's also to the audience.....):smash:

adelaide
05-29-2005, 05:18 PM
he lost the second set -- prolly due to loss of concentration. Damn distracting crowd.

I am slightly ticked off :(

Carlita
05-29-2005, 05:24 PM
VAMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOS

:yippee::yippee::yippee::yippee::yippee:

GO RAFA GO
:bounce:

tousledbaby
05-29-2005, 05:36 PM
The play is suspended :(...

NicoFan
05-29-2005, 05:38 PM
The people at mean there at RG.

He's just a kid...shame on them!

VAMOS SWEETIE!

Carlita
05-29-2005, 05:43 PM
yeah if they have a problem with the umpire, no need to applaud any mistake Rafa makes......:smash:

Jorge
05-29-2005, 06:11 PM
yeah if they have a problem with the umpire, no need to applaud any mistake Rafa makes......:smash:
Carlita, as Nietschze said: "That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger".
If Rafel pulls out this match (as I believe he will) He will emerge stronger than ever.
Let's stay positive, the rain delay will help him and is going to affect Sébastien. At least that's what I think. Rafa will return to the court (today later or tomorrow) more concentrated and determinated to ignore all that booings

Vinga Rafel!! a guanyar! :yeah:

Eruwen
05-29-2005, 06:18 PM
Carlita, as Nietschze said: "That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger".
If Rafel pulls out this match (as I believe he will) He will emerge stronger than ever.
Let's stay positive, the rain delay will help him and is going to affect Sébastien. At least that's what I think. Rafa will return to the court (today later or tomorrow) more concentrated and determinated to ignore all that booings I agree! I think the rain delay will do Rafa good, get his focus back, and hopefully he will thrash Grosjean when play resumes :devil: I'm done with the French for the moment :o

¡Vamos cariñoooooooooo! You can do it, we believe in you and support you! :hug:

jmp
05-29-2005, 06:38 PM
Rafa and Rafa Fans :hug: :hug: BE STRONG!! :boxing:

GO RAFA!! :yippee:

maratgirl
05-29-2005, 06:41 PM
absolutely f*cking ridiculous what happened out there.
Poor rafa and all that stupid Grosjean did whas grinning :mad: he's on my blacklist :devil:

maratgirl
05-29-2005, 06:44 PM
the only postive thing about the suspendite play is that tomorrow there will be different people sitting there and everybody had enough time to cool down

tousledbaby
05-29-2005, 06:47 PM
@maratgirl: I totally agree with you. Hopefully there will be tommorow fair tennis-fans and we will see a great game with a victory over Grosjean.

Carlita
05-29-2005, 06:54 PM
Maybe so Jorge, still its :tape:-ing annoying! :p

http://www.gotennis.com/Photos/2005-05-29T164608Z_01_ROL57D_RTRIDSP_2_SPORT-TENNIS-OPEN.jpg

Rafa will be ready for Seb tomorrow!!! No doubt in my mind! ;) VAMOS
http://www.gotennis.com/Photos/2005-05-29T171116Z_01_ROL63D_RTRIDSP_2_SPORT-TENNIS-OPEN.jpg

Ti-Anne
05-29-2005, 07:24 PM
Okay guys, although I'm French, I totally agree with you, the French crowd's attitude today was totally despicable, and Grosjean himself surprised me in the bad sense, I thought he was cooler than that, but when he left the court, he gestured to the crowd to say thank you, which was not a thing to do if you're fair-play. :shout:
Yes, let's hope Rafa will rest and not think too much, the conditions will be totally different tomorrow, and I'm sure he can get it. I still firmly believe he'll win the tourney.

VAMOS RAFA !!!! :bounce: :bigclap:

NOUKY
05-29-2005, 07:37 PM
Hi :wavey: I'm so angry at my fellow countrymen tonight ! :devil: I couldn't believe it !! Such a shameful and disrespecful behaviour :mad: !!
Rafa wouldn't have dropped a single set if he didn't have to cope with that unbearable atmosphere :ras: !! But HE is the BEST :yeah: and no doubt he will show it to everybody tomorrow !! VAMOS :clap2: cariño RAFA :hearts:
Wash Grosjean away ! :smash:

RogiFan88
05-29-2005, 07:48 PM
I hope Rafa will benefit fr this rain delay and come out firing on all cylinders and take the 3rd set, then run away w the match!

VAMOS, RAFAEL!!!!

Show them who's the better player and winner out there!

Neely
05-29-2005, 08:03 PM
the only postive thing about the suspendite play is that tomorrow there will be different people sitting there and everybody had enough time to cool down
Well said! :worship:

Of course the crowd was upset because they thought Grosjean was cheated on, but at some point it just must be over and it's just utterly :retard: :cuckoo: to keep on halting the play in such a bad manner for 5 or 6 minutes, when the players were already on court (even though Grosjean was not in ready position and just standing on the opposite side near the fence).

This won't stop Rafa! :yeah:

Jennay
05-29-2005, 08:17 PM
Rafa fans :hug: We all know that he is strong-minded and willed. He will get through Seb! :yeah:

NicoFan
05-29-2005, 09:59 PM
Hope this will make you all feel better - it did for me.

They showed the match on tape delay here in the US on ESPN2. One of the announcers, Mary Carillo, spoke with Uncle Toni just before they suspended play. She said he was "tranquillo," and he said that they love the French, they love playing in Paris, he knows that the French people like Rafa. He blamed the chair umpire, and felt that Sebbie was part of it too.

And Uncle Toni said he thought Rafa is okay. She said that Uncle Toni was telling Rafa "vamos" and "tranquilo." And she said that during that 3rd set at one point, Rafa looked up at Uncle Toni and winked, and Uncle Toni winked back him. And then Uncle Toni winked at Mary...lol! She said she has a feeling they think Rafa is going to pull through....lol!

Me too! Our little man will be fine.

And this is a learning experience for him.

But annoying to - I alternated between being really angry watching it, and my heart breaking knowing what our chico was going through.

eddie_hyden
05-30-2005, 12:32 AM
i didn't watch the match last night coz it was too late, and was hoping i'd see good news when i checked the news this morning.

but found out this...

no wonder rafa lost the 2nd set, but he must have pulled himself together in the 3rd set. hope he'd hammer his way through when the play resumes today.

i hope his uncle toni had explained beforehand how nasty the french crowd could be, like what happened to martina hingis...(though it was probably her fault at that time)

cheers all!

adelaide
05-30-2005, 01:09 AM
From RolandGarros.com:
Rafael Nadal (4) leads Sébastien Grosjean (23) 6-4, 3-6, 3-0
French fury was much in evidence amidst the gloom of centre court in Rafael Nadal's rain-interrupted match with 23 seed Sébastien Grosjean. After Nadal had gunned his way to a first set lead, the Spaniard proceeded to break Grosjean in the opening game of the second. Grosjean contested the line call on game-winning point, and the match was interrupted for a full five minutes as the crowd howled its disapproval at the umpire's refusal to check the mark. Nadal kept his cool, but the incident proved a turning point as a pumped-up Grosjean, roared on by an even more pumped-up centre court, began threading winners and forcing his young opponent back. Suddenly the home hope was on the offensive, and he won four straight games to grab the second set 6-3.

Any other 18-year-old might have folded in the face of the Marseille man's inspired tennis. Another foreign debutant may have hidden from the baying crowd. Not Nadal. This kid is consumed by self-belief, and out he came in the third to wrest the game from Grosjean's grasp. With the rain falling, and the light fading, "Rafa" found his range again and pummeled his way into a three game lead before a probably relieved umpire called time on proceedings.

Damn straight >D

knight_ley
05-30-2005, 01:19 AM
vamos rafa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i am so proud of how composed he stayed and how calm he was during the whole event... :worship:

savesthedizzle
05-30-2005, 01:24 AM
vamos rafa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i am so proud of how composed he stayed and how calm he was during the whole event... :worship:

Me too! He acted beyond his age. Plenty of other players would have reacted horribly but Rafa did well to not let it get to his head completely. New crowd tomorrow... :)

Dan23
05-30-2005, 01:37 AM
Im not a huge fan of Rafa but I sure hope he wins that match against Grosjean when it resumes today :)
The behaviour of the crowd was ridiculous and highly unfair...and Grosjean did nothing at all to help the situation...

snaillyyy
05-30-2005, 03:22 AM
I had heard about the incident before I saw it but actually watching was something else :mad: absolutely disgusting behaviour! but I so impressed with how Rafa held it together :worship: , he will come out and take care of business tomorrow!!!!!

Blanco y Negro
05-30-2005, 05:59 AM
VAMOS RAFA!! Bueno Suerte manana.

sonatinca
05-30-2005, 09:20 AM
Actually I came here to say that my friends and i was shocked by the crowd behaviour yesterday!!!! It was terrible and so unfair relative to Rafa! And we were very proud of his strength! Vamos Rafa!!!! Going to cheer for him today ;)

fedsfan1
05-30-2005, 11:26 AM
VAMOS RAFAEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

French Fry Seb today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

eddie_hyden
05-30-2005, 01:07 PM
waiting for rafa's match...

davydenko looks impressive against coria now, i'm beginning to become his fan ;)

NicoFan
05-30-2005, 01:11 PM
Vamos Rafa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And stay tranquilo little man. The fans are stupid...just ignore them!

eddie_hyden
05-30-2005, 01:54 PM
nadal leads 5-0 in 3rd set.

i'm not only hoping nadal to win, but also to trash this guy...

VAMOS!

eddie_hyden
05-30-2005, 01:59 PM
so far so good. 6-0 on third set, and that pretty much sums it all...

eddie_hyden
05-30-2005, 02:46 PM
congrats rafa on 21st straight win!!

adelaide
05-30-2005, 02:52 PM
off to the final 8!!! precious. this is awesome!!!!! vamos Rafael :banana:

NicoFan
05-30-2005, 02:52 PM
So proud of my little buddy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He came back soooo strong today.

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Iza
05-30-2005, 03:05 PM
Hurray Rafaaaaaaa :woohoo: :woohoo: !!!!

Björki
05-30-2005, 03:07 PM
:woohoo: well done Rafi :clap2:

tousledbaby
05-30-2005, 04:03 PM
Great Rafa! We gonna see him tommorow again *yeah*!

Ti-Anne
05-30-2005, 04:07 PM
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES !!!!!

:yeah: Well done lil' man ! :kiss: Now go get the bowl !! :banana:

VAMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOS !!!!!

Carlita
05-30-2005, 04:27 PM
:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:
:bounce:Woooooooooooooohooooooooooo:bounce:
:yeah:you showed them:yeah:

Jorge
05-30-2005, 05:03 PM
contralutations to Rafel, now vs David. That must be a toughest match.
At least the crowd should be impartial this time :rolleyes:

snaillyyy
05-30-2005, 06:13 PM
:bounce: :bounce: Well done Rafa!!!!!!! He looked so adorable on the interview he did on ESPN :D :D :D

freesbee
05-30-2005, 08:00 PM
great match :yeah: I love to see that guy play :worship:
come on Rafa!! You can do this :bounce: :bounce:

Jennay
05-30-2005, 10:13 PM
:rocker2: Keep going, Rafa!

Yeah, Carole, his English has improved SO much! :yeah:

adelaide
05-30-2005, 10:14 PM
guys, just to mention -- that interview after beating Gasquet is a must-see. He's so adorable in the end :rolls:

alexito
05-30-2005, 10:18 PM
rafaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa congratulationsssssss , you are the genius, the master
god bless you and protect you.
you do the atp is better.

eddie_hyden
05-31-2005, 12:30 AM
he clearly was annoyed by the jeering incident in post match interview, but nevertheless i think this is a good experience for him to be even more mentally tougher..

RogiFan88
05-31-2005, 02:11 AM
VAMOS, RAFA! Time to be the first Spaniard into the SF.

So proud of Rafa for his professionalism during that brouhaha [still haven't actually seen the match unfortunately... and may never see it for myself but figures it happens during Grosjean's match... remember Clinton?].

Carlita
05-31-2005, 10:29 AM
:yeah: good luck my Little Manzana Man :bounce:

Iza
05-31-2005, 11:36 AM
Vamos Rafael!!

Ti-Anne
05-31-2005, 11:44 AM
VAMOS GUAPO CHICO !!!!! :hearts: :bounce:

~EMiLiTA~
05-31-2005, 11:54 AM
*sigh* whyyyy does he always have to play David?? i really like both of them...but vamos Rafa!!!! and thanks for serving the bagel yesterday! :yeah:

Ti-Anne
05-31-2005, 11:56 AM
Never mind who he 's playing : he HAS TO win !!!;)

Agassi Fan
05-31-2005, 01:29 PM
I hope he can beat Ferrer!
Good luck Rafael!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tousledbaby
05-31-2005, 01:39 PM
Vamos Rafa......you can beat him...2:2

eddie_hyden
05-31-2005, 01:49 PM
they're showing federer vs hanescu now..urrghhh!!!

how's rafa doing? can only see the scoreboard..looks pretty tight...

VAMOS!

tousledbaby
05-31-2005, 01:52 PM
yah same here, they are showing federer - hanescu :(! hes got the break again 4:3

NicoFan
05-31-2005, 02:11 PM
Can anyone see this match? Shoot...this stinks and I wonder what is happening to our little man. Why is he having so much trouble?

VAMOS RAFA! VAMOS!

Jorge
05-31-2005, 02:14 PM
Can anyone see this match? Shoot...this stinks and I wonder what is happening to our little man. Why is he having so much trouble?

VAMOS RAFA! VAMOS!
Sadly I am not watching this match. here ESPN is showing how Federer is crushing Hanescu. As soon as that match ends they will switch to Nadal vs Ferrer. I hope so!

NicoFan
05-31-2005, 02:20 PM
Well I'm at working taping ESPN - I called my dad and he said also that ESPN had Federer on :-( So taping for nothing if they don't switch over. But Davenport is next - last American - who cares?!?!

Anyone - the little man is serving for the set - HOLD! Por favor sweetie!

tousledbaby
05-31-2005, 02:26 PM
woowooo he's got the first set 7:5 VAMOS BABY

NicoFan
05-31-2005, 02:28 PM
Phew...got the first set! 7-5

Giving me heart attacks here, little man! lol!!!

tousledbaby
05-31-2005, 02:47 PM
The match is now live on TV. Nadal is playing so good. Ferrer seems to be a little bit tired.

Jorge
05-31-2005, 02:52 PM
Ferrer gettin' medical attention. seems a problem in the back

Jorge
05-31-2005, 02:54 PM
Ferrer is ready. Nadal serves 4-1

NicoFan
05-31-2005, 03:01 PM
Gracias - was wondering what the delay was for...

tousledbaby
05-31-2005, 03:05 PM
yeah second set 6:2...

NicoFan
05-31-2005, 03:06 PM
YES!

Way to go RAFA!

:woohoo: :bigclap:

knight_ley
05-31-2005, 03:10 PM
ESPN2 is going to show Nadal's match in its entirety after the Davenport/Pierce match... so we'll get to see it... just not live...

NicoFan
05-31-2005, 03:15 PM
A friend that is home watching just called me and told me that - unfortunately I thought it was going to be live so set the tape from 9:15-2:30 - I'll only probably get part of it :-( Unless of course Mary keeps winning big like she is...go Mary! Then no more Americans so don't have to worry about this again.

Our Rafa is doing so well! So proud of him!

Keep going RAFA!

Feel bad for David - but no one can stand in the way of RAFA winning this trophy!

Ti-Anne
05-31-2005, 03:17 PM

VAMOS RAFA! VAMOS!

Unfortunately, I only saw bits of Rafa's match so far : they first showed Federer, and now they're on to Pierce !! :mad: D*** Frenchies again !!
So, I could only see end of 1st set and beginning of 2nd. :( And that'll probably be all unless miss Pierce hurries her Frenchie bum out of the court !!!

Jorge
05-31-2005, 03:19 PM
Rafel is slowly demolishing David's will. 3-0 in the third set two breaks ahead. rafa at serve :yeah:

~EMiLiTA~
05-31-2005, 03:19 PM
awww poor David...i feel sorry for him...if he weren't playing Rafa i'd be even more sad...but at least it's making it easier for Rafa!

Jorge
05-31-2005, 03:31 PM
Rafel looking impressive. 22 victories on a row!!! :eek: now the real test, the real final. Nadal vs Federer. This is going to be the match of the tournament even more interesting than the final by sure!

NicoFan
05-31-2005, 03:33 PM
Awesome for RAFA!

Now revenge on Roger!!!

But feel bad for David here - nice guy - and he's worked so hard these last couple years - but he did well here - tough for him to get Rafa who knows his game so well.

tousledbaby
05-31-2005, 03:34 PM
Great, Rafa!
When will be the semifinal? On friday (his birthday) or in tuesday? If it is on tuesday, he will have like 2 days off till the final on sunday.

Ti-Anne
05-31-2005, 03:44 PM
:bounce: YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY RAFAAAAAAAAAAA !!!! :clap2:

You've been AWESOME again !!! :worship:

Both semi-finals will be played on Friday, so he'll play Roger on June 3rd !!

Nice birthday pressie you did to yourself, lil' man !! ;) Now just eat him up like a birthday cake !! :bdaycake:

JCF_Passione
05-31-2005, 05:15 PM
I saw the match :D GO RAFA :D

NicoFan
05-31-2005, 05:19 PM
I'm getting nervous already.

He just has to win...just has to!

adelaide
05-31-2005, 05:27 PM
please dont let the match be one-sided

*fingers crossed*

this is so exciting omg. :bounce:

NicoFan
05-31-2005, 05:39 PM

*fingers crossed*

this is so exciting omg. :bounce:

Depends on who it is one-sided for... ;)

If Rafa wins easily, I'll be the happiest person on earth... :) And easier on my nerves if Rafa just wins big!!! Don't know if I can handle a close match - of course if Rafa wins it in the end, it will be okay even though it will take days to breath normally again... ;)

But if Roger wins easily, I'll cry my eyes out... :sad:

adelaide
05-31-2005, 06:19 PM
Depends on who it is one-sided for... ;)

:lol: but I'd still want it to be a good contest :angel: Gas-Nad was a bit disappointing, even though Rafael won, and even though it was my fault that I looked too ahead. lol

how will i miss school and watch this? :mad:

NicoFan
05-31-2005, 06:21 PM
how will i miss school and watch this? :mad:

I think everyone on this side of the pond is trying to figure out how to miss school and work...lol!

ayena
05-31-2005, 06:58 PM
I dont' have lessons on Friday :bounce: 'cause we are having some Sport Day or whatever it's called :rolleyes: But we have to go to school anyway. But if my mum let me stay?? "Please mum, it's my fave tennis player and he's playing match of his life and I won't watch final live ( :sad: I' m going on a trip on friday and I'll get back on 10 pm on sunday I'll have it recorded :crying2: ) So , please, please mum we don't have lessons anyway. Can I stay at home on Friaday?? :angel:" And what do you think?? :devil:

Björki
05-31-2005, 07:23 PM
well done Rafa. :clap2: good luck for Friday.
you can do it :bounce:

willie
05-31-2005, 07:35 PM
Good match rafa!!!
good luck for the semifinals against federer, i can do it!!!!!

Neely
05-31-2005, 08:22 PM
Vamos!!!!! :D Now get some rest and be ready for Federer! :devil:

:rocker2:

freesbee
05-31-2005, 08:23 PM
I don't need to add anything methinks ;)

eddie_hyden
06-01-2005, 12:27 AM
Wat?? Federer said he's going to beat our Rafa easily??? in 3 sets???

Now I want Rafa to win even more (not that I wanted him to win less anyway,lol)

Q. Federer has said that he's going to win easily, three sets against you.

RAFAEL NADAL: I didn't know he said that.

Q. Federer, in fact, what he said is that it's going to be a very tight game; that he will have no gifts, nothing will be for free.

RAFAEL NADAL: I hope it will be a good match. He's been playing very well. He hasn't lost a single set, has he? Well, we'll go for him.

I am very happy with my match today.

(Cell phone ringing.)

You see, that's why I had to switch it off. I'm going to switch it off, in fact.

No, I think today's match has really given me confidence to play against Federer, and it really has given me a lot of confidence. I know he's playing very well. I know it's going to be a complicated match.

eddie_hyden
06-01-2005, 12:29 AM
BTW, any of you called him during the post match interview?? lol...

eddie_hyden
06-01-2005, 12:32 AM
ok here's the full interview from RG website.

the last part when he answered bout his fav foods is soooo cute, haha....he eats haagen-daz ice-cream, lol...

http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/news/interviews/2005-05-31/200505311117558221388.html

Q. Rafael, how does it feel to be in the semifinal?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, I am very happy. My first semifinals in one Grand Slam. It's unbelievable for me. Play the semifinal against the No. 1 is unbelievable for me, no?

Q. How well do you think you're playing?

RAFAEL NADAL: I am playing very well, no? Today is my best day in the two weeks. I improve every day. Today I feel good with my forehand, with my backhand, and I feel good, no?

Ferrer is little bit tired. After the first set, he have little bit problem in the back. I am sorry for him because the ‑‑ he play today, is not good for him, no, because he play four hours yesterday.

Q. Do you feel you can beat Roger Federer?

RAFAEL NADAL: Compete? So he is the favorite, no? He have the pression. He is the No. 1. I will try play my best tennis for won, no? I think I can won if I play my best tennis and if he don't play the best match, no?

THE MODERATOR: Questions in Spanish, please.

Q. Federer has said that he's going to win easily, three sets against you.

RAFAEL NADAL: I didn't know he said that.

Q. Federer, in fact, what he said is that it's going to be a very tight game; that he will have no gifts, nothing will be for free.

RAFAEL NADAL: I hope it will be a good match. He's been playing very well. He hasn't lost a single set, has he? Well, we'll go for him.

I am very happy with my match today.

(Cell phone ringing.)

You see, that's why I had to switch it off. I'm going to switch it off, in fact.

No, I think today's match has really given me confidence to play against Federer, and it really has given me a lot of confidence. I know he's playing very well. I know it's going to be a complicated match.

Q. This is a different sort of court, but do you think it's going to be the same as in Miami against Roger?

RAFAEL NADAL: No, each match is different. I hope it's not going to be like in Miami because, you know, it was a five‑set match, I lost. Here, it's a different surface. We're on clay. It's going to be different, and I am going to try to play well ‑ like I've been playing so far, and play at my best level like I've been playing Barcelona, Monte‑Carlo, all the clay tournaments, the final in Rome.

Today I've been playing at a good level. If I play like that, I hope I do have the possibility of winning. If I don't play at my best level, well, it's going to get complicated.

Q. Physically, how do you feel? Are you feeling as well as in all the tournaments?

RAFAEL NADAL: No, I'm feeling fine. There have been some very long matches, but I'm feeling very well and I am going to be able to rest in any case. So for Friday, I'm sure I'll be very fit physically.

Q. Do you think this is the most important match in your life, the one you're going to play against Federer? >

RAFAEL NADAL: I don't want to think that way because I don't want to put extra pressure on myself. But, obviously, it's an important match and a wonderful match to play. I hope I'll enjoy it. Whatever importance it is, I've played the final in Rome, the final in Monte‑Carlo. These matches were also very important for me at the time. They're Masters Series, they're also very important matches.

So I'm very happy. This is very good for my career. A final would be unbelievable for me ‑ especially at 19, I'll be 19.

But I'll have to think about my game only and try and play at my best level to try to win.

Q. Have you had time to watch Federer play?

RAFAEL NADAL: I saw him play a little while against Gonzalez, a little bit against Moya, first and second set. He's been playing very well, obviously. He's showing really that he deserves to be No. 1. And even on clay, he's really good. I mean, he's played in Hamburg, and I think that he's obviously one of the favorites.

Now I'm in the semifinal, and so I've got my own objective. My objective, in fact, was to be here in the semifinal. I'm going to try to play calmly, and obviously it would be wonderful to win. I think I might be able to win ‑ at least that's what I'm going to go for, even if it's going to be a tough match.

Q. After that match, after that tournament, if you want to give yourself a score or mark, what would that mark be?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, today I felt very well. I felt I've been playing a very high level of tennis. This has probably been my best match of the week. There were moments of pressure against Gasquet, also with the crowd with Grosjean, and also the first round. So there have been different moments during this tournament that have been difficult, and that's helped me build up confidence and gain further experience that will help me, you know, even in the next years.

Q. Friday is your birthday. What are you going to do? Are you going to phone your family?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, they're in Shanghai, I think. They're on holidays, so I don't know. I'll phone, I suppose, yes.

Q. Is it the point in the first set, with the match against David, that changed the match, 5‑5?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, it was 5‑4, and then 5‑5, and then there was a wonderful passing shot, one of the best passing shots of my life, in fact. Then another ball that could have gone out but didn't, and that was a very important point, obviously.

Q. You're facing a major match. Are you afraid that this is going to be too long? It's Tuesday today; you're going to play Friday. Are you going to have too much time to think about it?

RAFAEL NADAL: No, I'm feeling fine. I'm feeling much calmer now than when I started the tournament here, and even when I started the match against Grosjean. I'm feeling fine. I feel that I'm playing at a good level, and that really helps me to see this match in a good state of mind.

When I play well, it really helps me feel calm. I might lose, I might win, but I'm happy to play at my best level.

Q. Who's the favorite for the public?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, I don't know. He's No. 1, I'm 18. It's important, obviously. It's a factor. Well, we'll see who's the favorite. I think it's 50/50, basically.

Q. You're very strong, and people wonder what you eat. What sort of regime? Is it the Mediterranean diet? What do you do to be so strong? Yesterday you came in eating a French baguette. Does it get better than that? What can you say about that?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, I can't really say anything. It's not the Mediterranean diet or anything. I eat just normally. If you give me olives, I eat olives. Yesterday I ate Haagen Daz ice cream. I don't have anything out of the ordinary.

Q. Is there a special sort of food that you like?

RAFAEL NADAL: I love seafood. There are lots of things I like.

You know, I don't know (smiling)...

Why don't you ask the other players what they like?

Q. You had fun in Miami, and here the idea is the same, isn't it? It's clay, but it's the same idea, isn't it?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, well, I prefer to have a bad time and win, obviously. But obviously if you're having fun, it's probably because you're playing well. This is a match where I'd like to have fun. Obviously, it's a match where there's something to win, there's something to lose. It's Roland Garros. Obviously, if you lose, you're going to lose something important. I'd like to be in the final.

But I'm going to try to play in my own way, you know, giving it a fight, giving it my all. I think that Federer and I will both play well, in a different style.

Clara Bow
06-01-2005, 03:06 AM
His interviews are pretty gosh darned cute.