Is still Hamburg AMS at risk? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Is still Hamburg AMS at risk?

alfonsojose
05-09-2005, 02:55 AM
I remember something about this? Can anyone update, please? and what about the WTA event in Berlin: Why Hamburg/Berlin don't try something like Montecarlo/Toronto with the ATP/WTa tournaments :shrug: I hope things are better now :sad:

smucav
05-09-2005, 04:20 AM
what about the WTA event in Berlin:The WTA Berlin event will no longer be a Tier I in 2006.

http://www.tennisreporters.net/commentary_KC_042805.html
Berlin, which is being run by the Qatar Tennis Federation (the QTF has bought Berlin's Tier I status and will use that sanction for its tournament next February), also has a terrific field with six of the top seven ranked players, excluding No. 1 Lindsay Davenport.

zethand
05-09-2005, 05:06 AM
It is in danger... Mexico wants the tournament I heard it! Can I laugh? You need a very good sponsor to have this tournament and a very good complex to held it! Let´s see who take it of it remians in Germany.. very complex issue!

RogerRocks
05-09-2005, 10:03 AM
The WTA Berlin event will no longer be a Tier I in 2006.

http://www.tennisreporters.net/commentary_KC_042805.html

yes the Qatar Tennis Federeration bought the Tier I status of Berlin but they said they will play it as Tier I in Berlin one more time in 2006. They do because they're considering this way for a good advertisment for the state of Qatar in the centre of europe.

Also lately there's been negotiations about introducing a possible WTA World Team Cup (like Düsseldorf) being first held in 2007 in Berlin.

Concerning Hamburg, yeah there was apparantly a lot of trouble last year but the latest thing I heard was that the tournament is safe for the next years.
They even thought about building a new bigger tennis venue at the Hamburg Volkspark.

Space Cowgirl
05-09-2005, 06:49 PM
I read a rumour in the newspaper at the weekend that Qatar is also interested in the TMS Hamburg. Hopefully the tournament will stay, it's bad enough that tennis has lost so much in popularity here since Boris and Steffi retired :(

TenHound
05-09-2005, 08:49 PM
That's obscene that the most powerful country in Europe, home to one of the greatest women of all time, couldn't be bothered to host a national tennis tournament. Yea, it was perfect PR for the Arabs, who organized it this year, and featured a picture of Hermann Goering flanked by a row of Nazi officers in their program. Anything else need to be said about them?? And Becker didn't say word one about it, despite the fact that his Jewish Mother spent WWII in Nazi Concentration Camps. I fervently wish the women would boycott all the Arab tournaments, rather than allowing themselves to be used, for a few bucks, to hopefully divert attention from the Arab's violent hatred of women. It's really sick.

Come on Germany, Krupps, BMW, etc. get your act together and put on a tournament - Rome can, Canada can, what's up w/you guys? Looks Really Bad...France, Switzerland, Spain, damn little Mallorca producing great tennis players...what's up...where are the little Steffi's and little Boris's???

Space Cowgirl
05-09-2005, 09:03 PM
And Becker didn't say word one about it, despite the fact that his Jewish Mother spent WWII in Nazi Concentration Camps.
um, sorry to interrupt your rant, but Boris's monther is not Jewish. She came from what is now Poland (was then part of Germany) and got kicked out of there, along with many others, by the invading Soviets at the end of the War