Chile and Argentina..Just friends :D [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Chile and Argentina..Just friends :D

+alonso
05-09-2005, 01:01 AM
Vamos Chile y Argentina :D :angel: :bigclap:

cobalt60
05-12-2005, 12:26 PM
I will post here Alonso but I am hoping the chilenos can do it 3 years in a row! Vamos!

NicoFan
05-13-2005, 05:39 PM
Can't be a Chile and Argentina cheering thread...lol! They'll play each other!

I like Argentina...but I like CHILE more!!!!!!!!!!!! Of course!!

VAMOS CHILE!

3 in a row!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lau
05-13-2005, 10:14 PM
Can't be a Chile and Argentina cheering thread...lol! They'll play each other!

:haha: :haha: I agree!!! It will be interesting to read what will happen here!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: I have nothing against Chile or their players, but not all the fans think the same thing (I`m talking about fans of both countries´players)... I hope respect prevails.... I stopped reading ESPN Latin America forums because of this :scratch:
Anyway, that´s the spirit, Alonso!!! :yeah:

NicoFan
05-14-2005, 03:08 AM
Respect will definitely prevail! I know most of the Chilean fans who post here and they aren't nasty. And I know for some of us, we like the Argentines too - they are some of our favorites. More sad that the two teams have to play each other - its a bummer for sure.

But a little friendly VAMOSing for each of our respective teams will be fun too... ;)

Think the Argentines have a bit of an edge with Coria playing so well, and Nico just coming back from months off with injuries.

But games aren't played on paper, so who knows? It will definitely be fun (less fun of course if Chile loses...lol!).

+alonso
05-14-2005, 03:10 AM
Hi ;)
:haha: ok ok fine !
i didn't knew they'll play each other
:D

Oh lau
he entrado a ese " foro " y no me gusto para nada.. ahi no hablan de tenis si no se ofenden.. disculpa a un compatriota mio si algo te ha dicho ;)

bye :wavey:

NicoFan
05-14-2005, 03:12 AM
I noticed Alonso you changed the name of the thread...lol!

*Viva Chile*
05-14-2005, 03:36 AM
There are only a few chileans that we post in this forum. I only know to Alonso, Carolinita and Fergie and they are very friendly with all the people... argentines, spaniards, etc etc.

A todo esto, yo también sólo he entrado una vez a ese foro de ESPN, y en realidad es... UN ASCO!!! :o
Prefiero mil veces postear por acá donde hay gente que sí sabe de tenis y que comparte un rato de su tiempo frente al computador de buena forma ;)

cobalt60
05-14-2005, 04:01 AM
Ok bueno suerta to everyone! Fair play yes but I still want Chile to win ;)

+alonso
05-14-2005, 04:03 AM
:lol: Me too

lau
05-14-2005, 12:16 PM
The argentine team is: Coria, Gaudio, Cañas (they are the 3 argentine top 10 these days :) ) and Chela, who have been chosen by the team partners to be there too.
Guga Kuerten will be there with the argentine team. He have been coached by Hernán Gumy (Cañas´coach) in the last weeks, and will train during the tournament with Guillermo Cañas.

BTW, it was nice to read what you all wrote! ;)

jazz_girl
05-14-2005, 12:54 PM
Yeah! This thread is a nice idea! :yeah:
Of course, I'll be cheering for Argentine ;)

Action Jackson
05-14-2005, 12:58 PM
Chilean and Argentine girls can always be friendly with me.

I like them both and don't have a problem with either groups of supporters or players, may the best team win.

Fergie
05-14-2005, 02:22 PM
Vamos Chile! :yeah:

Eugenia
05-14-2005, 09:49 PM
Vamos :bounce:
:clap2: Coria :worship:
:cat: Gaudio :woohoo:
:yippee: Cañas :bigclap:
y... :hearts: Chela :kiss:

Vamos Argentina!!! :banana:

I♥PsY@Mus!c
05-15-2005, 05:40 AM
Vamos Chile! :rocker:
Gonzo :rocker2:
Nico :clap2:

Neely
05-15-2005, 03:08 PM
Argentina should do this again :yeah:

NicoFan
05-15-2005, 03:16 PM
BOTH the CHILEANS WON TODAY!!!!!!!!!!

Whoo hoo!

+alonso
05-15-2005, 03:27 PM
:bounce:
Fernando González Def Jiri Novak 6/3 6/1
Nicolas Massu Def Tomas Berdych 7/6 (7/5) 6/3
I'm so happy ! !

Daniela_CABJ
05-16-2005, 04:55 AM
I'll be cheering for Argentina !
but I really like this thread, it shows that there's no problem between us! :)

jazz_girl
05-16-2005, 01:34 PM
Gaudio def. Clemet 6-4 6-4 :yeah:
Vamos Coria!!! :banana:

jazz_girl
05-16-2005, 02:09 PM
Yay!!! Guillermo beat Llodra 6-1 6-4
2-0

lau
05-16-2005, 02:18 PM
Gaudio def. Clemet 6-4 6-4 :yeah:
Vamos Coria!!! :banana:
Yay!!! Guillermo beat Llodra 6-1 6-4
2-0
:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

jazz_girl
05-16-2005, 02:45 PM
Now Chela and Cañas!!! Vamos chicos!!! :banana:

Julio1974
05-16-2005, 03:49 PM
How can I do to support Nico and not Gonzalez?

victoria_maraude
05-16-2005, 04:23 PM
Argentina 2
France 1

Clement/Llodra d. Cañas/Chela 6-1 6-4
Tomorrow against Czech Republic

Vamos Argentina!!!!

Eugenia
05-16-2005, 07:27 PM
Vamos Argentina!!! :bounce:

+alonso
05-16-2005, 07:29 PM
Great Argentinaaaa !!! :bounce:
;) Now Czech Republic

And Chile / France

jazz_girl
05-16-2005, 07:31 PM
We already beat him in the DC, we can do it now again! :yeah: ;)

Truc
05-16-2005, 07:47 PM
Why is Canas playing instead of Gaudio tomorrow? I thought Coria didn't want to play too much in Dusseldorf because he was too tired after Hamburg and now he's playing every day (I guess Argentina will need him too against Chile).

robinhood
05-16-2005, 08:16 PM
Why is Coria playing again this week??!!!
I didn't know he was a robot.

jazz_girl
05-16-2005, 08:19 PM
I was wondering the same thing...

+alonso
05-16-2005, 08:25 PM
RG ? :confused:

jazz_girl
05-16-2005, 10:04 PM
But Guillermo was the tired one!

willie
05-17-2005, 12:29 AM
if he think he can play this week and then reach far in RG, he might be right...;)

cobalt60
05-17-2005, 12:48 AM
If I remember correctly( and please let me know if I am not) but Gaudio played ARAG last year and won all his singles. Didn't hurt him much I must say. :D

robinhood
05-17-2005, 05:03 AM
If I remember correctly( and please let me know if I am not) but Gaudio played ARAG last year and won all his singles. Didn't hurt him much I must say. :D

I don't know whether Gaudio played ARAG last year or not, but even if he did, that wouldn't have mattered much because he had hardly played consecutive matches in earlier clay court tournaments. According to APT.com, he made the finals in Barcelona but didn't get past R32 in Monte Carlo, Rome, Hamburg, or in Esteril last year.

But Coria has been playing virtually nonstop past four weeks. I just don't understand why he is not taking this week off. Maybe he's too tired that he has confused this event with the Davis Cup??

Sparko1030
05-17-2005, 06:39 AM
Buena Suerte to Nicoa and Fena against France!!!

Vamos Chile!!!

jazz_girl
05-17-2005, 12:17 PM
Yes, and Gaudio said that one of the reasons for which he won RG was because he had beated Hewitt in the WTC. But as someones said, Coria's been playing too much lately...

Julio1974
05-17-2005, 01:27 PM
I think it all depends on how much effort is Coria doing. I cannot watch the matches, but my impression is that Coria and Gaudio are taking this tournament for training. They are playing 50%.

Truc
05-17-2005, 01:43 PM
Yes, that's my impression too. Yesterday it really looked like a practice session against Llodra, Coria played with some more intensity just twice in the match (when he was one break down in the second set and immediately broke back and then at the end of the match).
Today I just saw the end of the first set, but he also looked very relaxed and was laughing with his trainer.
In comparison we are watching Massu at the moment, he seems to be much more concentrated.

NicoFan
05-17-2005, 03:12 PM
Nico won his match 6-4, 6-4. And glad to hear he's much more concentrated.

About Coria - I wonder if he is playing because he got a lot of criticism when he would skip out on Davis Cup in the past (except this last time). I really like Guille, but that kind of disappointment me about him and David. And then when they both didn't play Buenos Aires this year - I couldn't believe it. I thought that was terrible that they didn't play their home countries only tournament. Again, I'm not being mean to him - I really like Guille a lot - I really think he's a great player and felt so bad for him last year at RG. And missed him when he was out for surgery. But I'm glad he's playing for his country here...he needs to!

NicoFan
05-17-2005, 03:27 PM
Well Fena won and Canas won so it will be a CHILE-ARGENTINA showdown on Thursday.

Whoo hoo!

Good luck to both teams but...

VAMOS CHILE!!!

Of course with RG next week, it might be better for whoever loses...don't know. Would like to see my chicos get the hat trick, but also want Nico to win the French (or Fena or Rafa or Feli or Fer or Guille). Don't want them to be tired.

NicoFan
05-17-2005, 03:29 PM
Actually wrote that wrong.

I want NICO to win...but if he doesn't, then any of the others are fine by me... ;)

lau
05-17-2005, 03:33 PM
Nico won his match 6-4, 6-4. And glad to hear he's much more concentrated.

About Coria - I wonder if he is playing because he got a lot of criticism when he would skip out on Davis Cup in the past (except this last time). I really like Guille, but that kind of disappointment me about him and David. And then when they both didn't play Buenos Aires this year - I couldn't believe it. I thought that was terrible that they didn't play their home countries only tournament. Again, I'm not being mean to him - I really like Guille a lot - I really think he's a great player and felt so bad for him last year at RG. And missed him when he was out for surgery. But I'm glad he's playing for his country here...he needs to!

I`m sure this was already discussed, but Guillermo and David signed contracts last year for playing those hard court tournaments (for 2005 and 2006) and after they signed Buenos Aires´ tournament was moved a week in the calendar. That`s why they couldn`t play in Argentina.

BTW, Massú, Gonzalez, Coria and Cañas won their singles matches :clap2:

Argentina - Czech Republic 2-0
Chile - France 2-0

:woohoo:Vamos Argentina!!!!! :woohoo:

NicoFan
05-17-2005, 03:44 PM
Hmmm...not buying it lau - they know when the Latin America swing tournaments are - and why would they even think of going to Europe at all when there are tournaments in South America. Like them both - but their country (and South America) has to come first. But we can agree to disagree...lol! ;)

I just get annoyed that the SA touranments are such great tournaments and none of the top players from outside the area go - or rarely go - was so happy Rafa went this year. So when David and Guille didn't go, it upset me. Again, adore them both - just think they need to support the Buenos Aires and the other SA touranments. If it were Nico and Fena, I would do the same. In fact in 2004, Fena went to Europe instead of the SA touranments and was very very very annoyed with him.

Truc
05-17-2005, 04:00 PM
I'm glad he's playing for his country here...he needs to!
But do you think it's important to the people that he's playing there? Does anybody take note of this event in South America? I'm just following it because here in Germany we never see mens tennis on TV, only the Slams, so it's a great occasion for us to see them all. But actually nobody cares about this event.

lau
05-17-2005, 04:05 PM
Hmmm...not buying it lau - they know when the Latin America swing tournaments are - and why would they even think of going to Europe at all when there are tournaments in South America. Like them both - but their country (and South America) has to come first. But we can agree to disagree...lol! ;)

I just get annoyed that the SA touranments are such great tournaments and none of the top players from outside the area go - or rarely go - was so happy Rafa went this year. So when David and Guille didn't go, it upset me. Again, adore them both - just think they need to support the Buenos Aires and the other SA touranments. If it were Nico and Fena, I would do the same. In fact in 2004, Fena went to Europe instead of the SA touranments and was very very very annoyed with him.

It´s well known that both Guillermo and David want to improve their hard court tennis ( BTW, They played terrible in those tournaments in Europe:haha: :haha: :haha: ). I knew about their desition of playing those tournaments in 2005 and 2006 before I knew about the calendar changes in Buenos Aires` tournaments, so, I can tell you it`s true ;) And they are not very interested in playing the rest of the South american tournaments (It`s my personal opinion). They are not the most important tournaments in the tour in those weeks (points, prices). Of course I would love to see them play in Buenos Aires, but it`s their career!!!
And about the country comes first :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: . I`m not saying that this is the correct thing, but this is tennis and not football, they are just different sports..... Tennis is a individual sport, and apart from Davis Cup and other tournaments (Hopman Cup, World Championship Cup), the nationality of the players and tournaments doesn`t really matter. Those tournaments doesn`t count for the official rankings of the ATP!!!!!! That can give you an idea of the importance of them. I really have fun watching them!!! And I love those tournaments (specially Hopman Cup), but they are not important tournaments. And one of the reasons players play in those tournaments is the money they recieve ;) .

But we can agree to disagree...lol! ;)

;) :yeah:

NicoFan
05-17-2005, 04:07 PM
I care...lol!

And tennis is the #2 sport in both Chile and Argentina so yes, I think they both care - especially with Chile and Argentina playing each other.

I don't live in Argentina so just guessing. But from what I've read, I would think so. Our Argentine amigos will have to let us know for sure though.

I can say that in Chile (even though I don't live there, but I've followed Nico since 2002 so I have a good idea) that they care a lot too.

NicoFan
05-17-2005, 04:10 PM
It´s well known that both Guillermo and David want to improve their hard court tennis ( BTW, They played terrible in those tournaments in Europe:haha: :haha: :haha: ). I knew about their desition of playing those tournaments in 2005 and 2006 before I knew about the calendar changes in Buenos Aires` tournaments, so, I can tell you it`s true ;) And they are not very interested in playing the rest of the South american tournaments (It`s my personal opinion). They are not the most important tournaments in the tour in those weeks (points, prices). Of course I would love to see them play in Buenos Aires, but it`s their career!!!
And about the country comes first :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: . I`m not saying that this is the correct thing, but this is tennis and not football, they are just different sports..... Tennis is a individual sport, and apart from Davis Cup and other tournaments (Hopman Cup, World Championship Cup), the nationality of the players and tournaments doesn`t really matter. Those tournaments doesn`t count for the official rankings of the ATP!!!!!! That can give you an idea of the importance of them. I really have fun watching them!!! And I love those tournaments (specially Hopman Cup), but they are not important tournaments. And one of the reasons players play in those tournaments is the money they recieve ;) .

;) :yeah:

I hate that money comes first...sigh... :sad:

I know tennis is an individual sport, and definitely could care less about any of the US players myself...lol! Except James who is a sweetiepie. Only like the players from Chile Spain and Argentina.

So don't know why it is important to me that they play for Argentina. Just do... ;)

NicoFan
05-17-2005, 04:14 PM
And btw was also laughing when Guille and David lost in Europe...I was like yeah serves you right dudes!!!! lol! Mean...I know...since I really do like them. But Gaston won BA which made me very very happy, and of course, RAFA just tore up the other South American tournaments which got him in great shape for IW and Miami and the clay court season.

And twice Rafa beat Guille in finals this year. :-)

Maybe Guille will rethink not playing South American tournaments next year... :-)

lau
05-17-2005, 04:25 PM
I care...lol!

And tennis is the #2 sport in both Chile and Argentina so yes, I think they both care - especially with Chile and Argentina playing each other.

I don't live in Argentina so just guessing. But from what I've read, I would think so. Our Argentine amigos will have to let us know for sure though.

I can say that in Chile (even though I don't live there, but I've followed Nico since 2002 so I have a good idea) that they care a lot too.

Well, I know this is getting totally off-topic ;) , but I can tell you that I can hardly believe tennis is the #2 sport in Argentina (and it`s my favourite sport!!;) ) apart from what you read in the press.... I would say basketball, rugby, and maybe hockey (female) and voley comes first (more people practices them).
And , of course I would love Argentina to win this tournament (maybe I didn`t express my self well)!!! But, let`s face the fact that it`s definitively not an important tournament!!!!! ;)
I`m saying this, but I don`t want anyone to feel I am offending chilean tennis (the same thing happened in Argentina with Guillermo Vilas)...... In my opinion, what you said is a problem for the development of Chilean tennis. Tennis must be more important than the players if you want to develop it in a country.... Because, when a sport is too tied to a individual sportman, the interest in the sport changes as the interest in this sportman does..... and they can`t play for ever... :rolleyes: But this is just one of my theories :lol: :lol:

and of course, RAFA just tore up the other South American tournaments which got him in great shape for IW and Miami and the clay court season.

Rafa played here because he couldn´t get any wildcard, or be in the draw (don´t remember the details) of the european tournaments. His uncle phoned Jaite (Tournament Director) to get the wild card in Buenos Aires´tournament. But he wanted to play in Europe, as first option ;)

victoria_maraude
05-17-2005, 04:30 PM
No doubles today????

lau
05-17-2005, 04:33 PM
No doubles today????
In this moment Gaudio and Chela are playing against Berdych and Novak (1-1 in first set)

NicoFan
05-17-2005, 04:41 PM
Well, I know this is getting totally off-topic ;) , but I can tell you that I can hardly believe tennis is the #2 sport in Argentina (and it`s my favourite sport!! ;) ) apart from what you read in the press.... I would say basketball, rugby, and maybe hockey and voley comes first (more people practices them).
I`m saying this, but I don`t want anyone to feel I am offending chilean tennis (the same thing happened in Argentina with Guillermo Vilas)...... In my opinion, what you said is a problem for the development of Chilean tennis. Tennis must be more important than the players if you want to develop it in a country.... Because, when a sport is too tied to a individual sportman, the interest in the sport changes as the interest in this sportman does..... and they can`t play for ever... :rolleyes: But this is just one of my theories :lol: :lol:

Rafa played here because he couldn´t get any wildcard, or be in the draw (don´t remember the details) of the european tournaments. His uncle phoned Jaite (Tournament Director) to get the wild card in Buenos Aires´tournament. But he wanted to play in Europe, as first option ;)

The announcers for the international feed said during one of Guille's matches that tennis was now #2 in Argentina. Don't know where they got that info though.

And you're right about Chile. No development for players. I don't know what they will do when Nico and Fena retire (which hopefully won't be for a long long time :) ). And that entire Horacio fiasco. So stupid. He would be great to help them develop players.

Didn't know that about Rafa - but worked out well for him! And me - cuz we get the South American touranments here so got to watch him! :)

NicoFan
05-17-2005, 04:46 PM
BTW una pregunta para ti, lau - really off topic here...lol! I really like River Plate - we get to watch their matches sometimes on Fox Sports en espanol. But can't seem to find a site on the internet where they have a lot of pictures - something like the MTF sites...do you know of any? I really like Costanzo! :-) :-) And sorry to assume that just cuz you're from Argentina you would know everything about Argentine futbol...lol!

lau
05-17-2005, 04:47 PM
The announcers for the international feed said during one of Guille's matches that tennis was now #2 in Argentina. Don't know where they got that info though.

And you're right about Chile. No development for players. I don't know what they will do when Nico and Fena retire (which hopefully won't be for a long long time :) ). And that entire Horacio fiasco. So stupid. He would be great to help them develop players.

Didn't know that about Rafa - but worked out well for him! And me - cuz we get the South American touranments here so got to watch him! :)

I don´t know, but I`m pretty sure more girls practice hockey than tennis and more boys practice basketball, voley or rugby than tennis in Argentina. I`m sure that tennis is the sport that is growing faster in the country, but not the 2nd most popular (again, apart from what appears in the press) yet...... There`s something like a tennis boom in Argentina, but it`s an expensive and individual sport :rolleyes: , and that`s a problem if you want to make of it a popular one in a Latin American country ;) (another theory :lol: )

BTW una pregunta para ti, lau - really off topic here...lol! I really like River Plate - we get to watch their matches sometimes on Fox Sports en espanol. But can't seem to find a site on the internet where they have a lot of pictures - something like the MTF sites...do you know of any? I really like Costanzo! :-) :-) And sorry to assume that just cuz you're from Argentina you would know everything about Argentine futbol...lol!
I have no idea.... I´ll ask my brother (but he`s a Boca Juniors fan :scratch: , like me ;) ) I´ll send you a PM if I find one later...

NicoFan
05-17-2005, 04:58 PM
Gracias! :)

Another Boca fan :sad: everyone I meet here in NY that likes futbol are Boca fans, and they tell me I root for the wrong team... ;)

*Ljubica*
05-17-2005, 05:27 PM
It's been interesting to read your discussion about David and Coria playing Europe this year Nico and Lau - we discussed it at length on David's Forum at the time. I can't speak for Coria, but I know that David and his coach thought long and hard before making their decision to play Rotterdam and Marseille this year, - and at the end of the day they felt it would be better for David's career for him to remain on hard courts between Australia and the important US hardcourt tourneys in Indian Wells and Miami, rather than to switch surfaces and play on clay for a week or so, only to have to switch back again! Certainly David sees himself primarily as a hardcourt player - he doesn't even like clay - and felt he could gain more points there. Of course, as it turned out, he didn't play so well there, but at that time he was already developing the virus that kept him out of competition for a while, and had lost his Father less than 2 months before, so that is not really surprising.

As far as Coria is concerned - I am not a fan and I don't watch him play if I can avoid it :devil: - but I guess his Team felt the same way - that it would be more damaging to his body to switch surfaces at that stage than to stay on hardcourts. A lot of the Latin American players gain their points almost entirely on the clay - but Coria and David are not like that at all - they are considered Top 15 players with the potential to win Masters' events (and even Grand Slams) on all surfaces - and as such their career planning has to be dealt with accordinlgy.

I can understand peoples' frustration at not seeing them play (after all - I'm European and I was over the moon to see David in both Rotterdam and Marseille because it gave me an opportunity to watch him live, so of course I can understand the opposite feeling!), but at the end of the day these guys have to think of themselves. Their earning potential is not as long as that of most other people - they can only work until they are around 30, not 60 like the rest of us. - so I don't blame them at all for their decisions.And remember David did play Copa Argentina last December (and he and Coria have agreed to play there this year as well), and they also played Davis Cup, so the fans there have seen them play. Just my opinion anyway.

lau
05-17-2005, 05:32 PM
I agree with most of the things you said, Rosie ;) :yeah:

And OMG!!!! I have just realized I said Davis Cup is not important :lol: I must be crazy!!! :cuckoo: I consider it an important tournament ;) But it´s not a really important tournament for a lot of players ;) .
Anyway, I still think pro tennis is about players, "tennis stars" , not so much about nationalities. (I`m Argentine and I would love to watch Safin winning RG this year ;) ).
And this may sound contradictory (sp.?) with what I said about developing a sport...., but what I meant to say is that people should be able to enjoy tennis eventhough their compatriots are not playing.

:topic: , I know..... Sorry, won´t happen again ;)

*Ljubica*
05-17-2005, 05:46 PM
I agree with most of the things you said, Rosie ;) :yeah:

And OMG!!!! I have just realized I said Davis Cup is not important :lol: I must be crazy!!! :cuckoo: I consider it an important tournament ;) But it´s not a really important tournament for a lot of players ;) .
Anyway, I still think pro tennis is about players, "tennis stars" , not so much about nationalities. (I`m Argentine and I would love to watch Safin winning RG this year ;) ).
And this may sound contradictory (sp.?) with what I said about developing a sport...., but I meant that at institutional level.

I agree with you too Lau - although I know a lot of people won't agree with your comments about nationalities. Extreme nationalism/patriotism terrifies me to be honest - too many fights and even wars have started as a result of it - though I know that is purely a personal opinion and many won't agree. Certainly, although I am English it would never cross my mind to cheer for Tim Henman just because he is English too!! I like him enough and sometimes I will cheer for him depending on his opppnent and the situation- but I'll always cheer for David first - then probably Marat, because I like them as people and I enjoy watching their style of play regardless of where they come from.

lau
05-17-2005, 05:59 PM
And this may sound contradictory (sp.?) with what I said about developing a sport...., but what I meant to say is that people should be able to enjoy tennis eventhough their compatriots are not playing.

:topic: , I know..... Sorry, won´t happen again ;)

:lol: , I was editing my post, Rosie, because I sometimes find it difficult to express my self in english..... But I meant that at institucional level, too ;)

*Ljubica*
05-17-2005, 06:05 PM
:lol: , I was editing my post, Rosie, because I sometimes find it difficult to express my self in english..... But I meant that at institucional level, too ;)

Lau - you express yourself in English a lot better than I can communicate in Spanish :)

NicoFan
05-17-2005, 06:10 PM
I agree with you too Lau - although I know a lot of people won't agree with your comments about nationalities. Extreme nationalism/patriotism terrifies me to be honest - too many fights and even wars have started as a result of it - though I know that is purely a personal opinion and many won't agree. Certainly, although I am English it would never cross my mind to cheer for Tim Henman just because he is English too!! I like him enough and sometimes I will cheer for him depending on his opppnent and the situation- but I'll always cheer for David first - then probably Marat, because I like them as people and I enjoy watching their style of play regardless of where they come from.

I don't like nationalism either...its the worst thing and causes nothing but problems.

I think the reason I wanted them to play is because I don't think the SA players (and tournaments) get much respect on the tour. Look at how many players they have in the top 50 and look how little media coverage they get. The SA players and the Spaniards get teh least attention - even Marat was saying last year how the Spaniards get ignored, and I know Coria has complained about it too. So when players like Guille and David ignore than own tournaments (and Fena too in 2004), it makes me feel bad. The SA tournaments have enough problems getting the top players to come without their own players not playing.

And Davis Cup is fun - tennis is an individual sport but I think the atmosphere of DC is the most fun out of the entire year except for the Slams.

NicoFan
05-17-2005, 06:10 PM
Lau - you're English is more than fine! :-)

cobalt60
05-17-2005, 06:11 PM
Thank you all for your comments regarding the players and who plays what when and where. Very informational.

NicoFan
05-17-2005, 06:11 PM
And my English is bad...lol!..should be your English... ;)

*Ljubica*
05-17-2005, 06:16 PM
NicoFan y Lau.............Usted ambos escribe inglés perfectamente. Mi español no es así que bueno pero yo intente! :)

lorenz
05-17-2005, 09:41 PM
Lau, Rosie and Nico,

I like your comments and opinions, It's good to see people with common sense.

Sorry for my poor English too. I would like to say a lot o things, but I can't express them in English.

Cheers

Ale

jazz_girl
05-17-2005, 09:50 PM
I don't like nationalism either...its the worst thing and causes nothing but problems.

I think the reason I wanted them to play is because I don't think the SA players (and tournaments) get much respect on the tour. Look at how many players they have in the top 50 and look how little media coverage they get. The SA players and the Spaniards get teh least attention - even Marat was saying last year how the Spaniards get ignored, and I know Coria has complained about it too. So when players like Guille and David ignore than own tournaments (and Fena too in 2004), it makes me feel bad. The SA tournaments have enough problems getting the top players to come without their own players not playing.

And Davis Cup is fun - tennis is an individual sport but I think the atmosphere of DC is the most fun out of the entire year except for the Slams.
Well said :yeah:

jazz_girl
05-17-2005, 09:57 PM
I agree in part. Extreme nationalism is terrible, and I don't like that either, especially in an individual sport, like tennis. However, I do tend to cheer for the Argentines, although not all of them There are a lot that I really care about like David and Gastón, but I like seeing winning players like Monaco, Calleri, Chela, Cañas, etc.
What I mean is that we should cheer for our favourites without turning the whole thing in a battle between countries, cause we have enough with our polititians and they're good doing that! :lol: We should just enjoy this sport, in spite of who's playing, and be friendly between us. Tennis is suppoused to be enjoyable ;)

jazz_girl
05-17-2005, 10:04 PM
And btw was also laughing when Guille and David lost in Europe...I was like yeah serves you right dudes!!!! lol! Mean...I know...since I really do like them. But Gaston won BA which made me very very happy, and of course, RAFA just tore up the other South American tournaments which got him in great shape for IW and Miami and the clay court season.

And twice Rafa beat Guille in finals this year. :-)

Maybe Guille will rethink not playing South American tournaments next year... :-)
:lol: I was at the Bs As tournament watching Rafa vs Potito Starace, and a friend was sending me the scores of David's match in Europe. I remember I went to congratulate rafa after his match, and then my friend tells me that david had lost. I felt bad first, but then it was a very weird feeling cause I wasn't disappointed that he had lost. I was very mad when I found out he was playing in Europe instead of Bs As, and it lasted for a few months, but then I could understand the thing rationally, however I still don't get it.
The DC was just two weeks after that, so I could see them both winning and it was great, but there was still something not right...
I've heard Coria wants to play here next year, but I doubt David will do the same...

jazz_girl
05-17-2005, 10:09 PM
Well, I know this is getting totally off-topic ;) , but I can tell you that I can hardly believe tennis is the #2 sport in Argentina (and it`s my favourite sport!!;) ) apart from what you read in the press.... I would say basketball, rugby, and maybe hockey (female) and voley comes first (more people practices them).
And , of course I would love Argentina to win this tournament (maybe I didn`t express my self well)!!! But, let`s face the fact that it`s definitively not an important tournament!!!!! ;)

Actually, Moyá convinced him and Costa to play here, and then his uncle got the WC ;)

lau
05-17-2005, 10:17 PM
Actually, Moyá convinced him and Costa to play here, and then his uncle got the WC ;)
But he was already out of the european tournament´s draw ;) , that`s for sure. The rest of the story, the details.... I really can`t remember :scratch:
Thanks for the information! ;) Carlos seems to enjoy playing in Buenos Aires, he always comes (for many reasons :lol: :lol: ;) )

I do tend to cheer for the Argentines, although not all of them
Everyone tends to do that. The problem is when you can ONLY enjoy the matches of the players of your country.... That attitude (I`m not saying is a bad attitude) is not a good one for developing a sport like tennis anywhere. Anyway, if someone enjoys only his/hers compatriots´ matches, and that makes this person happy..... :) I was just talking about developing a sport in a country and what it takes to do this. I think is a wonderful thing making people love a sport and not only the players and enjoy the sport apart from who plays. That, in my opinion, is necessary for making it popular (ex.: Spain)..........It`s just my opinion, and I`m not an specialist ;)

jazz_girl
05-17-2005, 10:31 PM
But he was already out of the european tournament´s draw ;) , that`s for sure. The rest of the story, the details.... I really can`t remember :scratch:
Thanks for the information! ;) Carlos seems to enjoy playing in Buenos Aires, he always comes (for many reasons :lol: :lol: ;) )

Everyone tends to do that. The problem is when you can ONLY enjoy the matches of the players of your country.... That attitude (I`m not saying is a bad attitude) is not a good one for developing a sport like tennis anywhere. Anyway, if someone enjoys only his/hers compatriots´ matches, and that makes this person happy..... :) I was just talking about developing a sport in a country and what it takes to do this. And it`s just my opinion, and I`m not an specialist ;)
I agree about your opinion on developing a sport in Argentina. But I do think it's becoming more and more popular here, but as you said, it's not the second favourite sport. At least not yet, and the reasons for it you have enumerated are quite right.
And as for Moyá, even he recognzied why he loves Argentina so much!!! :lol: Actually, Cañas said it in "Indomables" :lol:

lau
05-17-2005, 10:39 PM
But I do think it's becoming more and more popular here
No doubt about it ;) (the sport that grows faster lately)

jazz_girl
05-17-2005, 10:49 PM
:yeah: Since this moment of the year (RG) till now it's been impossible for me to find a free court to play some tennis!!! :lol: That means something ;)

cobalt60
05-17-2005, 11:19 PM
I agree in part. Extreme nationalism is terrible, and I don't like that either, especially in an individual sport, like tennis. However, I do tend to cheer for the Argentines, although not all of them There are a lot that I really care about like David and Gastón, but I like seeing winning players like Monaco, Calleri, Chela, Cañas, etc.
What I mean is that we should cheer for our favourites without turning the whole thing in a battle between countries, cause we have enough with our polititians and they're good doing that! :lol: We should just enjoy this sport, in spite of who's playing, and be friendly between us. Tennis is suppoused to be enjoyable ;)
:yeah: Very well stated.

NicoFan
05-18-2005, 12:11 AM
Definitely jazz_girl said it all.

I think its cool that here our chicos are playing on Thursday against each other, and we're having these great tennis discussions. Someone when the thread was started was worried that it would be all fighting, and I was like no way, we'll respect each other. And we have, and it is enjoyable - the way it should be. :) Argentines are nice, Chileans are nice, and those of us who wish we were Argentines or Chileans are nice... ;)

We need to give ourselves a pat on the back...lol!!!!!!!

And lol about Carlos...had a feeling he went to Argentina for the ... ummm ... female scenery...lol! Glad he talked Rafa into going. Hope he can talk Rafa, JC, Fer, and Feli into going next year!!! And they go to Vina next year...so sad Carlos never goes there. :sad:

jazz_girl
05-18-2005, 12:51 AM
Well, Carlos talked Robredo into coming to Argentina in Dicember, so I'll be happy to see both of them at the Copa Argentina de Tenis Exhibition! :)
And in addition to them, Nalbandian, Coria, Gaudio, Zabaleta and Monaco among others will be playing as well :)

NicoFan
05-18-2005, 12:58 AM
Oh how cool that both Carlos and Tommy R will be there!

And I like Juan Monaco. I think the kid is going to be very good - just needs a bit of consistency. And not get upset when things aren't going well. I wish I could look 2 years from now - I think we'll see Rafa, Gasquet, Monaco and Monfils - all the kids will be up there at the top. Will be exciting.

jazz_girl
05-18-2005, 01:01 AM
Monaco is very good friends with Nadal. There's an interview with Monaco I put in the Spanish forum telling his relationship with him.
I like Juan a lot as well, and I think he'll do great in the future :)

+alonso
05-18-2005, 02:02 AM
Bien por Argentina y Chilecito :bounce:

sigmagirl91
05-18-2005, 02:30 AM
Good luck to both teams tomorrow. I wish I could get this tournament live; alas, no. I guess I'll follow the scoreboard.

cobalt60
05-18-2005, 02:37 AM
Hello Tiff! Me too. I wish someone here in the states like the tennis channel would show this tournie/exhibition. Whatever anyone wants to call it. And I think Thursday is going to be like the finals. Both teams will give it there all. I read that Coria will not play Thursday? Any one know exactly why?

And Moya and Robredo to the Copa huh? Guess they are not inviting Nico M or Fena G this year. Good luck to everyone.

sigmagirl91
05-18-2005, 02:46 AM
Hey Sue! With ESPN (the so-called worldwide network), we don't get the action-packed, compelling matchups.

+alonso
05-18-2005, 04:56 AM
Guess they are not inviting Nico M or Fena G this year.

:sad: Well...:D Moya and Robredo are great players ;)

*Ljubica*
05-18-2005, 06:30 AM
Hello Tiff! Me too. I wish someone here in the states like the tennis channel would show this tournie/exhibition. Whatever anyone wants to call it. And I think Thursday is going to be like the finals. Both teams will give it there all. I read that Coria will not play Thursday? Any one know exactly why?

And Moya and Robredo to the Copa huh? Guess they are not inviting Nico M or Fena G this year. Good luck to everyone.

We get it live here in England (on Sky Sports), though have to admit I haven't seen much of it yet because it's on while I'm at work, and I've been working very long hours this week so haven't had time to watch the videos yet!! As for Coria - as far as I'm aware he just wants a few days' rest before RG - he was extremely tired in Hamburg (he has had a lot of tennis on the clay over the past few weeks) and just doesn't want to be too tired going into his favourite Grand Slam.

And Jazz - about David playing Europe again in February 2006 - nothing is definately confirmed yet - but I think he will be - certainly in Rotterdam if not Marseille - I must admit I hope so for my own selfish reasons ;)

jazz_girl
05-18-2005, 11:37 AM

Why not them too??? This year the exhibition will be much bigger than last year, and will be held in a bigger place. Feña had a great time last year, and even when he lost in the first round he stayed in the court to play a doubles match against some kids and Acasuso.

cobalt60
05-18-2005, 11:56 AM
Why not them too??? This year the exhibition will be much bigger than last year, and will be held in a bigger place. Feña had a great time last year, and even when he lost in the first round he stayed in the court to play a doubles match against some kids and Acasuso.

Well I did not know that it would be a larger field this year but the more the merrier! :D

jazz_girl
05-18-2005, 12:00 PM
Of course! :)

RacingStone
05-18-2005, 04:13 PM
argVsChile

Depende en gran medida si juega Coria , si coria juega Vs Massu argentina ya se asegura un punto.

Alguien sabe quien juega los singles de argentina?

Igual lo ideal es q roten hay q llegar bien a RG.

jazz_girl
05-18-2005, 04:15 PM
Creo que van a jugar Gaudio y Cañas.

NicoFan
05-18-2005, 04:53 PM
It will be Fena vs. Gaston first, followed by Nico vs. Canas.

jazz_girl
05-18-2005, 06:49 PM
Interesting matches!!!
Vamos Gastón y Willy!!! :yeah:

NicoFan
05-18-2005, 07:16 PM
I think Argentina has the edge to win, but all 4 are such great clay court players that I think all the matches will be close.

BUENA SUERTE CHILE!!!!!!!!!!

jazz_girl
05-18-2005, 07:19 PM
Without Coria, I'm not sure how much favourites we are!!! :lol: It depends on how Gastón is.
Anyway, good luck to everyone! :yeah:

Latinø1987
05-19-2005, 02:14 AM
Vamos Chileeeee!!!

cobalt60
05-19-2005, 02:52 AM
We get it live here in England (on Sky Sports), though have to admit I haven't seen much of it yet because it's on while I'm at work, and I've been working very long hours this week so haven't had time to watch the videos yet!! As for Coria - as far as I'm aware he just wants a few days' rest before RG - he was extremely tired in Hamburg (he has had a lot of tennis on the clay over the past few weeks) and just doesn't want to be too tired going into his favourite Grand Slam.

And Jazz - about David playing Europe again in February 2006 - nothing is definately confirmed yet - but I think he will be - certainly in Rotterdam if not Marseille - I must admit I hope so for my own selfish reasons ;)

Thanks Rosie for the information. And lucky you getting it on TV. Oh well I can at least hope that the Tennis Channel will show some clips on their this week in ATP tv show like last year. Good luck to all the players- I actually like them all and think this will be a great match up with such good caliber players going at it. Still rooting for Chile though ;)

NicoFan
05-19-2005, 01:47 PM
Oh well, poor Fena lost to Gaston 6-4, 6-2.

VAMOS NICO!

lau
05-19-2005, 04:11 PM
Sorry chilean friends :unsure: , but I just have to do this... :)

:woohoo:Vamos Argentina!!!!! :woohoo:

Argentina won both singles matches and is in the final!!!!

Gaudio - Gonzalez 64, 62
Cañas - Massú 62, 16, 63

Julio1974
05-19-2005, 04:39 PM
Everyone tends to do that. The problem is when you can ONLY enjoy the matches of the players of your country.... That attitude (I`m not saying is a bad attitude) is not a good one for developing a sport like tennis anywhere. Anyway, if someone enjoys only his/hers compatriots´ matches, and that makes this person happy..... [/QUOTE]

I also tend to cheer for the Argentines, even when Gaudio plays (it takes me a lot patience though). But that does not mean I can't enjoy tennis when other players win. I'm still waiting for Tim Henman to win Wimbledom (I love the tennis he plays, maybe because it's so different from how Argentine players play). I also admire Hewitt a lot (I like his mental strength and the effort he put in every match). I like all the Spanish players in general (but for Ferrer for obvious reasons).

cobalt60
05-19-2005, 04:44 PM
Sorry for the Chilean players but good luck to Argentina in the finals!

Action Jackson
05-19-2005, 04:46 PM
It's not a law that people have to cheer for players from their country.

lau
05-19-2005, 04:51 PM
It's not a law that people have to cheer for players from their country.
Of course!! ;)
I said that I tought it was a good attitude, for developing tennis in any country to make people love the sport and enjoy tennis even when their compatriots are not playing.
Anyway, I think that everyone here tend to cheer for the players from their countries, but I think they all enjoy tennis above all. :)

NicoFan
05-19-2005, 04:53 PM
Congrats to the Argentines. Don't know what happened to Fena and Nico today, but Gaston and Willy had their number today.

Buena suerte to Argentina in the finals! Especially if its not against Espana.

Sparko1030
05-19-2005, 05:16 PM
Yes, congrats to the Argentines. They outplayed my chicos today and deserve the win.

Eugenia
05-19-2005, 06:02 PM
Chela/Coria def. Gamonal/Garcia 6-4 6-3 :woohoo:

:bounce: VAMOS ARGENTINA!!! :bounce:

Julio1974
05-19-2005, 06:29 PM
According to "Infobae", Gaudio criticised Coria for not playing today and saving his energy for RG. I think Gaudio is wrong. First, nobody cares in Argentina about this tournament. This is not the DC. Second, Coria has been playing a lot lately, and Gaudio should understand that. Third, I think these questions shouldn't be discussed in public. This is not the first time Gaudio does something like that. The Argentine press said Nalbandian was furious when Gaudio leaked to the press the players' agreement to remove Luza. Fourth, most people expected Coria to withdraw from this shitty tournament. He went there, he played two matches and today the doubles. What else did Gaudio expect? One of the reasons I like Nalbandian is that never get involved in this kind of BS.

Action Jackson
05-19-2005, 06:33 PM
According to "Infobae", Gaudio criticised Coria for not playing today and saving his energy for RG. I think Gaudio is wrong. First, nobody cares in Argentina about this tournament. This is not the DC. Second, Coria has been playing a lot lately, and Gaudio should understand that. Third, I think these questions shouldn't be discussed in public. This is not the first time Gaudio does something like that. The Argentine press said Nalbandian was furious when Gaudio leaked to the press the players' agreement to remove Luza. Fourth, most people expected Coria to withdraw from this shitty tournament. He went there, he played two matches and today the doubles. What else did Gaudio expect? One of the reasons I like Nalbandian is that never get involved in this kind of BS.

You can think Gaudio is wrong, but why didn't Coria play in the biggest match of the group, Cañas and Chela could have played the other ones. Yes, it's a small event, but playing against Chile for an Argentine should be enough, but he was able to play doubles.

Gaudio isn't tired as well, he played the matches sure and he showed up, but he played in the ones he wanted to and didn't watch his teammates play, for the whole matches is understandable.

Julio1974
05-19-2005, 06:38 PM
You can think Gaudio is wrong, but why didn't Coria play in the biggest match of the group, Cañas and Chela could have played the other ones. Yes, it's a small event, but playing against Chile for an Argentine should be enough, but he was able to play doubles.

Gaudio isn't tired as well, he played the matches sure and he showed up, but he played in the ones he wanted to and didn't watch his teammates play, for the whole matches is understandable.

I agree with you that Coria should have been there watching the match. But you cannot deny that Coria must be much more tired than Gaudio because he has played more than Gaudio in the last two weeks (including a 5hr match in a final). Gaudio may have good reasons to dislike Coria but this time he got it wrong.

Action Jackson
05-19-2005, 06:44 PM
I agree with you that Coria should have been there watching the match. But you cannot deny that Coria must be much more tired than Gaudio because he has played more than Gaudio in the last two weeks (including a 5hr match in a final). Gaudio may have good reasons to dislike Coria but this time he got it wrong.

Gaudio has played every week from Monte Carlo to Dusseldorf, yes that is every week and what just because a player plays 1 5 hour match they can be tired for 10 days?

The point is that Coria is tired this is true, but he is not the only one, also he somehow weaseled his way into playing the easy matches, today is the one he should have played against Massu, why as he'd have more time off if he didn't bother with the early ones as they could have been handled by the others.

It might not be DC, but it doesn't set a good precedent.

Julio1974
05-19-2005, 06:48 PM
Gaudio has played every week from Monte Carlo to Dusseldorf, yes that is every week and what just because a player plays 1 5 hour match they can be tired for 10 days?

The point is that Coria is tired this is true, but he is not the only one, also he somehow weaseled his way into playing the easy matches, today is the one he should have played against Massu, why as he'd have more time off if he didn't bother with the early ones as they could have been handled by the others.

It might not be DC, but it doesn't set a good precedent.

If Coria thinks he needs to rest to be fit for RG, it's a very valid decision. In fact, I prefer Coria, Gaudio, and Cañas to be fit for RG instead of losing their time in this stupid tournament. Last year, the two chileans won this tournament and then lost in the first round of RG.

Action Jackson
05-19-2005, 06:52 PM
If Coria thinks he needs to rest to be fit for RG, it's a very valid decision. In fact, I prefer Coria, Gaudio, and Cañas to be fit for RG instead of losing their time in this stupid tournament. Last year, the two chileans won this tournament and then lost in the first round of RG.

Ok, do I care about the WTC? Not really, but since there is no ranking points on offer and they are playing for Argentina then some effort is fair.

If he is too tired he could have withdrawn from the tournament. He decided to keep a promise and play and if that's the case, then deal with the consequences. I see you overlooked what could have been an easy solution to the problem allowing for more rest and fulfill his promise, could have been easily done like that, but now it was done like this.

What happens if he doesn't want to play DC?

Julio1974
05-19-2005, 07:08 PM
Ok, do I care about the WTC? Not really, but since there is no ranking points on offer and they are playing for Argentina then some effort is fair.

If he is too tired he could have withdrawn from the tournament. He decided to keep a promise and play and if that's the case, then deal with the consequences. I see you overlooked what could have been an easy solution to the problem allowing for more rest and fulfill his promise, could have been easily done like that, but now it was done like this.

What happens if he doesn't want to play DC?

You know what I think? Gaudio hates Coria (probably for valid reasons because what Coria did in Hamburg 2003 is unacceptable). He hates Coria so much that he takes Coria's attitudes too personal. This time, Coria did nothing wrong. At least, for me. And Gaudio is very wrong in going to the press with this BS.

Action Jackson
05-19-2005, 07:17 PM
You know what I think? Gaudio hates Coria (probably for valid reasons because what Coria did in Hamburg 2003 is unacceptable). He hates Coria so much that he takes Coria's attitudes too personal. This time, Coria did nothing wrong. At least, for me. And Gaudio is very wrong in going to the press with this BS.

You are just looking for excuses to defend Coria that is what it is. They don't like each other that is known and they don't have to, but if they are in the same team then they have to be professional about it.

Yes, playing against the easier opposition and then when the better opponents come along decide not to play and then not watching the teammates play, what is that about then? It's garbage and I offered a solution to a problem that was caused benefiting both and not even sowing the doubts of conflict.

It's not about the individual it's about the group and it's a group that is playing here, that's the difference.

Julio1974
05-19-2005, 07:23 PM
You are just looking for excuses to defend Coria that is what it is. They don't like each other that is known and they don't have to, but if they are in the same team then they have to be professional about it.

Yes, playing against the easier opposition and then when the better opponents come along decide not to play and then not watching the teammates play, what is that about then? It's garbage and I offered a solution to a problem that was caused benefiting both and not even sowing the doubts of conflict.

It's not about the individual it's about the group and it's a group that is playing here, that's the difference.

Garbage is what Gaudio did: going to the press. He seems to be very nervous lately. He had problems with Nadal in MC, he argued a lot in Rome about the light (what kind of excuse is that??). He also destroyed one racket shwoing a childish attitude. Not to mention his pathetic performance with Rochus.

Action Jackson
05-19-2005, 07:31 PM
Garbage is what Gaudio did: going to the press. He seems to be very nervous lately. He had problems with Nadal in MC, he argued a lot in Rome about the light (what kind of excuse is that??). He also destroyed one racket shwoing a childish attitude. Not to mention his pathetic performance with Rochus.

Do I think he should have done it in the press? Probably not, should he have told it to his face, the answer would be yes, but that would mean he would have to talk to him.

He smashes a racquet big deal, and that is not a problem as so much as hooking line calls and if you think that's alright all the power to you.

See what you are doing is looking for excuses and not addressing the issue as to why it happened, that is very clear. Why tell me about Gaudio in Rome, everyone knows if he was winning then he wouldn't complain about the light, just like when Coria is in trouble he'll use tricks, they are as clear as sun and rain.

Julio1974
05-19-2005, 07:43 PM
Do I think he should have done it in the press? Probably not, should he have told it to his face, the answer would be yes, but that would mean he would have to talk to him.

He smashes a racquet big deal, and that is not a problem as so much as hooking line calls and if you think that's alright all the power to you.

See what you are doing is looking for excuses and not addressing the issue as to why it happened, that is very clear. Why tell me about Gaudio in Rome, everyone knows if he was winning then he wouldn't complain about the light, just like when Coria is in trouble he'll use tricks, they are as clear as sun and rain.

You like Gaudio too much and I dont like Coria that much (my fav. Argentine player, by far, is David). So, I won't defend Coria for what he did in the past (basically, because it's impossible). But Coria is trying to make an effort to be nicer, to have a better attitute. And this change should be encouraged. And I still think this time Gaudio was wrong. Coria play two matches and the double. Gaudio played two matches and the double. Cañas played two matches and the double. Maybe Gaudio think Coria should have played the single against Chile or that he played the easier matches. But he should respect the team coach's decisions.

Action Jackson
05-19-2005, 07:50 PM
You like Gaudio too much and I dont like Coria that much (my fav. Argentine player, by far, is David). So, I won't defend Coria for what he did in the past (basically, because it's impossible). But Coria is trying to make an effort to be nicer, to have a better attitute. And this change should be encouraged. And I still think this time Gaudio was wrong. Coria play two matches and the double. Gaudio played two matches and the double. Cañas played two matches and the double. Maybe Gaudio think Coria should have played the single against Chile or that he played the easier matches. But he should respect the team coach's decisions.

Excuse me I like Gaudio too much, if that was the case then why would I laugh when he has lost badly, criticised him when he hasn't played well, had a go at him for taking a time out for cramps, when he should be fit enough to play. It's not that difficult to seperate the two.

I have read the translation of the article Gaudio, Chela, Cañas (who had a fever) tried to talk with Coria, but why didn't he want to talk to them then? If it was a true team then they'd be able to talk with him instead of going to the physio who then said he couldn't play singles.

Coria played the easy matches when a guy was sick and then played. Coria is still at it with his line call tricks and he chose the matches he wanted to play that's the difference.

Julio1974
05-19-2005, 07:56 PM
There is no point in continuing with it. You'll never persuade me and I'll never persuade you.

Neely
05-19-2005, 11:58 PM
Argentina vs Chile was the final today already.

Great fans for both countries, great atmosphere. The boring fans of so many other countries could learn a lot from their South American counterparts :)

NicoFan
05-20-2005, 12:22 AM
Great fans for both countries, great atmosphere. The boring fans of so many other countries could learn a lot from their South American counterparts :)

Totally agree Neely - I always go to the first week of the US Open, and the matches with the Argentines and Chileans are always the most fun because of the fans. Tennis would be so much more fun to watch and we'd have a lot more fans if all the matches had that kind of fun atmosphere.

Was sad my chicos chilenos didn't do a bit better, but as they say, next time we'll get them!!!! ;)

jazz_girl
05-20-2005, 12:34 AM
Congratulations to the Chileans for a good tournament! :yeah:
Congratulations to the Argentines for reaching the final!!! :banana:
And as for the Gaudio/Coria discussion, well, I think they're both wrong: Coria for not playing even though cañas had a fever, and Gaudio for not facing Coria face to face and saying it to the press first. They should be celebrating and not fighting, it's not the right moment nor the right place to do it. A real shame :sad:

cobalt60
05-20-2005, 12:44 AM
Well said ( again) Jazz girl. This sort of stuff belongs away from the media. It just detracts from the game of tennis. Nuff said.

+alonso
05-20-2005, 01:06 AM
Congrats Argentina ;)
Well Done :D

But :sad. Chilecitoo ! :sad:

Suerte en la final :yeah: