How is your tennis game? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

How is your tennis game?

Hardhitter
05-08-2005, 11:58 AM
Hello to all, i am new here. My name is Chris!
I am from Australia, and joined this board to be able to communicate with other tennis fans all over the world!
*What level of tennis do you currently play at?
*What gamestyle do you have?
*Whats your best surface?

ClaycourtaZzZz.
05-08-2005, 12:03 PM
Hi:)

* I don't know :smash:
* I hit with alot of spin in my ground strokes:) And I try to attack the net:):):):):):)
* My favorit surface's clay!!!! and some slow hard courts.....

Vass
05-08-2005, 12:21 PM
My tennis game is not good. But slowly improving even though I play twice a month...
Serve is my best shot when it's working (unfortunately it's working only 20% of the time). I can serve multiple unreturnables with it at time. But you know, it still sucks. I sometimes have weird service games with 3 aces and 4 double-foults (I had that only ones though).
Forehand is getting better. I didn't use any power on my groundies before (use very slow topspin shots), but my forehand is getting faster and faster... Mayeb it will rise to OK level soon.
Backhand is almost non-existent. I always used double-handed before, but now I mix it up with single handed shots, which come up just as good (bad) at times. I'm confused here.
I'm a net-rusher though. The net is my favourite place on the court even though I don't have an approach shot and get lobbed 60% of the time (I ran many of them down, but the effectiveness of the procedure is very low). But volleys are okay. With my opponents you just need to get the ball in.

I like both the Dubai hard-courts and clay... THose are the only surfaces I played on.

Hardhitter
05-08-2005, 12:28 PM
Thats great to hear you still are improving! :)
I think if you work on one aspect of your game at a time, it is easier to improve. Seems like your serve can be a weapon, and you like the net... you should work on charging in behind a good serve. Remember, just slicing or chopping groundies into the court is ok... as long as you have some consistency! ;)

misyou25
05-08-2005, 02:36 PM
hi hardhitter....i've started playing 4 years ago, my serve is even worse than dementieva's, but my forehand is kind of ok, my backhand improving, on the net a bit slow, mid foot work, can't play for points, always losing (though on training i'm better). my fav surface is clay cause i hardly played on others. what about you?

jes_021
05-08-2005, 03:41 PM
Hey Hardhitter, welcome to this board!! :wavey:

I'm most comfortable playing from the baseline. I have a pretty good forehand, with lots of spin on it. :)
My serve isn't very hard, but I can place it pretty good. I play a one handed backhand, which is along with my net play my weakness.
Some days my backhand holds its own, but others days all the balls go into the net or out. It's just not consistent. So I like to play around it.
Also having some troubles playing at the net. Of all my net points 40% is good against 60% errors. But i'm playing more doubles now to improve in that area.
I find clay to be too slow, I like the faster hardcourts to play on.

Jes :D

Neely
05-08-2005, 04:22 PM
- recreational player
- trying to hit a good serve, attacking, powerful and flat groundstrokes, quick movement, relatively bad at the net
- indoor, carpet

Burrow
06-05-2007, 05:20 PM
dont know but im hoping to go into professional coaching.
I have a good serve, can hit it hard, good pace on second serve. mix it up.
powerful groundstrokes, sometimes quite flat and sometimes hit with some spin.
good volleys, people odnt give me enough credit for them, good touch round the net, seem to miss easy volleys and make the harder ones :help:
my pace is my best attribute, move really well for a tall guy, never let the ball bounce twice.
bad mentality, break raquets for no reason :haha: dont care if i win or lose so sometimes tank and play left handed etc.
can play on anything, hardcourt, like a toronto tms one.

The Freak
06-07-2007, 07:29 PM
Hey, I got third in the state playing at #1 singles for my high school team. I play mostly from the baseline, smacking forehands around at every opportunity. If there is a ATP player that my playing style is similar to, it would have to be James Blake. I am American, and clay is my favorite surface.

Baghdatis72
06-07-2007, 07:35 PM
Hey, I got third in the state playing at #1 singles for my high school team. I play mostly from the baseline, smacking forehands around at every opportunity. If there is a ATP player that my playing style is similar to, it would have to be James Blake. I am American, and clay is my favorite surface.

Well you love the surface that Blake hates the most I guess :p

The Freak
06-08-2007, 11:50 PM
Well you love the surface that Blake hates the most I guess :p

Yeah, maybe I like playing on clay the most, but hard courts is probably where I can be most effective. I've never got a chance to play on grass, but I sure would love to.

scarecrows
06-08-2007, 11:56 PM
baseline player, going rarely at the net. feel more comfortable defending than attacking. Good serve, especially the slice one, double handed backhand also decent bachand slice. Semi-western grip on forehand and can be more agressive in that shot when feeling confident. I've grown on hard courts but recently I've played a little on clay. I wish I had played more on clay as my knees are suffering already

Baghdatis72
06-08-2007, 11:56 PM
Hello to all, i am new here. My name is Chris!
I am from Australia, and joined this board to be able to communicate with other tennis fans all over the world!

Hey Chris :wavey:

I play for recreation and I am around level 3.0 NTRP. I play with an extreme eastern forehand grip and don't use a lot of topspin. I prefer staying on the baseline and I could be probably described as an aggressive baseliner.
My favorite surface is hard court surface and synthetic.

ExcaliburII
06-09-2007, 02:21 AM
Some time ago, I was a defensive baselline player.

Now, I play an agressive game. Lots of TopSpin in my backhand, lots of winners with it. 2 handed backhand, probably the most secure part of my game.

My first serve is ok, around 150-170 km/h, my second serve is really a problem. i may serve kicker serve, but i will probably serve about 10 Dfs in a match.

The most important part of my game is my fighting spirit and my physical form.

Favourite surface is clay :p. Similar game style to Igor Andreev, or maybe Diego Junqueira.

fenomeno2111
06-09-2007, 03:06 AM
I play in a college league 4.0-5.0 level (although it's not really accurate I consider myself 4.5 NTRP)
I try to play an all-round game but when I'm getting serious I tend to stay at the baseline but never more than 3 feet away from it. My biggest weapon is definitely my serve and can hit some clean winners of my forehand (especially setting up and inside out forehand although it rarely work for a whole match) My worst enemy is my temper on court but I've gotten a lot better since I broke a racquet and I was so ashamed of myself that I decided that I needed a change and I'm playing much better now. Weakest side would be my net play but I've gotten much better at it!

Favourite surface is hardcourts and I feel comfy in clay but I get to desperate sometimes. My game would be better on a super-fast inddor court but I haven't played on one. Would love to play on grass!

t0x
06-10-2007, 10:43 AM
In my county basically... I've been playing for about 8 years (practise at least an hour a day). I win most tournaments at my club but when the competition is up'ed I look a bit lightweight lol. Which is why I'm doing a lot more off court stuff this year.

I play on or right behind the baseline and my strength is definatley taking balls on the half volley.
I play a 2 handed backhand, but can also take a hand off and slice it. Semi western grip on the FH
My game generally is about hitting winners, which is also my weakness. I can get VERY frustrated when I miss and then try too hard and miss plenty more :(
Another weakness is my volleys. I'm good on the backhand (probably because I can slice from the back of the court), but I have annoying habit of over-hitting sitters on the forehand.
Serve isn't bad... just not great either, I just use it to start points up.

Hard courts... but there are 2 grass courts at my club and I enjoy playing on them too.

rocketassist
06-11-2007, 11:30 PM
I need to improve my serve, that's the key for me to unlocking a potentially good all round game. I won a practice match 6-1 6-3 on grass yesterday, and I was able to remember some stats:

Aces: 2
Forehand winners: 10
Backhand winners: 1
Unforced errors: 7

I normally practice on the local clay courts, it's definitely the most common surface where I live, although British players are supposed to suck at it.

My game style involves my leftie forehand and dominating the point with it, schooling the opponent from side to side until he can't retrieve no more. I don't go for too much, although if I'm 40-0 up in a game or 5-1 up in a set I'll try and hit something big, whilst my two handed backhand is more of a solid safety shot. My volleys aren't bad either, my practice opponent yeserday in one point applauded one of my points where I constructed it from the baseline, moved him all over the place then stepped forward to dink the volley home.

As for surface I prefer hard courts because I can hit flat forehands and also movement is easy.

The Freak
06-12-2007, 05:53 PM
I need to improve my serve, that's the key for me to unlocking a potentially good all round game. I won a practice match 6-1 6-3 on grass yesterday, and I was able to remember some stats:

Aces: 2
Forehand winners: 10
Backhand winners: 1
Unforced errors: 7

I normally practice on the local clay courts, it's definitely the most common surface where I live, although British players are supposed to suck at it.

My game style involves my leftie forehand and dominating the point with it, schooling the opponent from side to side until he can't retrieve no more. I don't go for too much, although if I'm 40-0 up in a game or 5-1 up in a set I'll try and hit something big, whilst my two handed backhand is more of a solid safety shot. My volleys aren't bad either, my practice opponent yeserday in one point applauded one of my points where I constructed it from the baseline, moved him all over the place then stepped forward to dink the volley home.

As for surface I prefer hard courts because I can hit flat forehands and also movement is easy.

How the heck can you remember how many winners and unforced errors you hit? There is no way I could remember something like that after a tennis match.

rocketassist
06-12-2007, 06:12 PM
How the heck can you remember how many winners and unforced errors you hit? There is no way I could remember something like that after a tennis match.

Someone sitting at the side watching us tallied it.

StevoTG
06-13-2007, 10:11 PM
*I guess I currently play at level zero :eek: . I only started hitting balls last month. My Leaving Cert exams (final schoolexams here in Ireland) finish next week and then I'm going to start getting lessons and playing matches, planning on playing pretty much 5,6 or 7 days a week for the next 3 months and if I get accepted into college then I'll definately play there (there are leagues for all levels thankfully).

*All that I know about my game so far is that I like hitting forehand top-spin, backhand slice (not sure how well I could do it in a match though) and powering the ball, I'm pretty sure that I've got the worst double-handed back hand in the world. I've practiced my serve a bit and when it's good it's good but more often than not it sucks.

*Best surface - the courts at my local are hardcourts, I practice in my garden using the wall of my house as a hitting partner (it's incredible how he returns everything... ok, bad joke) but the grass, or whats left of it, is un-even and the bounce is unpredictable which can be quite annoying.

Sorry to derail this thread but I was going to start a new thread about my back but I might as well post it up here. Since I've started playing tennis I've had some back problems. I'm 18 years old, 6'3 and probably a stone over-weight (used to be more before I started playing tennis), I'm hoping that as the weight falls off the back problems will ease but it's only getting worse so far. I think it's my serve/dodgy matress which is giving me the problem, I'm getting rid of the matress soon but I'm not sure how much of a difference that will make. Up until recently it was just pains and aches but now it's starting to effect my movement a bit. I went to a doctor a while back when I thought I had a different problem but he told me that it was just because of a bad back, the message was pretty much that I should expect plenty of back probelms throughout my life because of my height and build :awww:
Anyone have any advice on keeping a healthy back while playing tennis?

Apologies for the long post:o

RickDaStick
06-14-2007, 10:32 PM
Big serve
Good forehand
decent one handed backhand

I usually play on a fast hard court and i finish most of the points at the net. My volleys are good one day, terrible the next. Also if i dont get my 1st serves in, I am in big trouble but if i do, i like my chances.

Grinder
06-15-2007, 03:57 AM
Strengths:
-Big first serve and high kicking second serve
-Powerful Western forehand
-Flat two handed backhand that I can fire up the line whenever I want to
-Good reach at the net
-Drop shot

Weaknesses:
-I can get too wild on my forehand
-Can't hit my backhand well on the run
-Come in behind inadequate shots
-Too passive on my second serve return
-Movement can get lazy

I play mostly on fast hard courts.

Redrum54
08-19-2007, 09:01 PM
I play power tennis. I also put a lot of spin in my strokes.
The best underground for my type of game is hardcourt but i enjoy playing on clay.