Masters Series Hamburg [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Masters Series Hamburg

victoria_maraude
05-08-2005, 03:49 AM
First round: Tommy will face Dominik Hrbaty . I hope he feels better now so he can stay focused and play well 'cause Hrbaty is a good player on clay. He just reached the quarters in Rome. Come on Hasi! Play your best...

This article is from Hamburg's official site. It`s about Tommy and Roger Federer playing together. There's a beautiful picture of them smiling for the camera. I would appreciate if someone translates it, cause I don't get a word! Thanks!!!

Hamburg - Vor 20.000 begeisterten Zuschauern an den Hamburger Landungsbrücken haben sich der Weltranglistenerste Roger Federer und der Hamburger Tommy Haas auf einem schwimmenden Tennis-Court im Rahmen des 816. Hamburger Hafengeburtstages einen spektakulären Schaukampf zum Auftakt des Masters Series Hamburg 2005 presented by E.ON Hanse geliefert.

"Das war eine sensationelle Aktion. Es hat mir riesig viel Spaß gemacht gerade mit Tommy hier in Hamburg auf dem Ponton vor diesem tollen Publikum zu spielen. Wir haben versucht so nahe wie möglich an das Publikum heranzukommen und es war einfach gigantisch", sagte der Schweizer Federer nach dem von E.ON Hanse organisierten Event vor der beeindruckenden Kulisse im Hamburger Hafen.

Ein Schlepper zog Federer und Haas bis vor die Landungsbrücken, wo sie von den begeisterten Besuchern des Hafengeburtstages empfangen wurden und rund eine halbe Stunde lang bewiesen, dass sie zu den besten Tennisprofis der Welt gehören. Nach dem Match verabschiedeten sich die beiden Tennis-Cracks indem Sie etliche Bälle in die Menge schossen. Als Balljungen fungierten die Helfer des technisches Hilfswerk, die auf Schlauchbooten dem Ponton folgten und die verloren gegangenen Filzkugeln aus der Elbe fischte.

"Das war ein Riesenerlebnis und eine echte Ehre, das wir beide vor dieser tollen Kulisse spielen durften. Bei den ersten Ballwechseln mussten wir uns noch an den neuen Belag gewöhnen. Am Ende kam ich mir aber vor wie auf einem richtigen Tennisplatz und dann kamen auch richtig gute Ballwechsel zustande", meinte der Hamburger Haas nach dem gelungenen Auftaktevent für das größte deutsche Tennisturnier.

Neely
05-08-2005, 11:04 AM
A rough translation reads like that:
You can see some on Yahoo News
http://de.sports.yahoo.com/ph/watersports_p.html

In front of 20000 spectators on the Hamburg gangways, Tommy Haas and Roger Federer showed a spectatcular showmatch on a floating tennis court within festivities due to the Hamburg Harbour anniversary which was held to promote the Hamburg Tennis Masters.

Federer said: "That was a sensational activity and it was great fun for me to play with Tommy here in front of the Hamburg people on this ponton. We tried to get as close as possible to the crowd and it was terrific."

A tugging boat pulled Federer and Haas near the gangways where they were received by the enthusiastic crowd of the Hamburg harbour anniversary and where they showed for about 30 minutes that they belong to the best tennis pros on the world. After the match they said good bye by shooting some tennis balls into the crowd. Ball boys on rubber rafts fished the tennis balls which landed in the water.

Haas: "That was a real honour that we both could play in front of this great scenery. First we had to get used to the unknown surface, but later it felt like a real tennis court and we had good rallies."

smucav
05-08-2005, 08:24 PM
http://www.atptennis.com/en/newsandscores/news/2005/federer_haas_barge.aspNews
May 7, 2005
Federer, Haas Take to the Water in Hamburg!

INDESIT ATP 2005 Race leader Roger Federer and German star Tommy Haas marked the start of the Masters Series Hamburg tournament in style on Saturday, playing on a special 'floating' tennis court on the River Elbe. The players traded their usual fluid ground strokes, except this time on a special court installed on a pontoon carried along by a push-barge.

http://www.atptennis.com/shared/photos/180x250/fed_barge2.jpg

The activity coincided with the 816th birthday of the Hamburg harbour. The 30 meter-long pontoon was paraded in front of hordes of spectators on the banks of the River Elbe as the players braved the wind and the waves to put on a startling 20-minute exhibition in front of an estimated 15,000 spectators.

The players, who received widespread applause for their efforts in unfavorable conditions, hit tennis balls to the intrigued crowd before hopping onto a second boat to tend to numerous media commitments prior to the start of main draw action in Hamburg.

http://www.atptennis.com/shared/photos/other/fed_barge1.jpg

Federer: "It was a lot of fun and very enjoyable to play with Tommy. You could feel the waves, the court was definitely moving. It was windy, a nice fresh breeze and the surface was definitely a lot quicker than clay. We got used to it though and got some good rallies going in the end. They said 10 to 15,000 people watching from the harbour. That was fantastic."
"It's the birthday of the harbour and it's something very special for the people here in Hamburg and it's good to try and promote the tournament. I'm feeling good and am the defending champion here here so I have high hopes to do it again. The draw is not the easiest one but I've been feeling good in practice and my coach Tony Roche is here this week as well. It's not every week that he is with me so I hope I can make a good effort here. I'm looking forward to the event."

Haas: "Overall it was an unbelievable experience. It's the first time I've done something like that. I hope it's not the last as it was a lot of fun. It was very enjoyable and who knows, maybe it will be good preparation for the tournament.
"It took a little bit of adjustment at the beginning. We tested each other's games and towards the end had some good rallies and started to feel pretty comfortable out there."

Jogy
05-09-2005, 12:01 AM
COME ON, Tommy!!!!!!!!!!!!! WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN!!!

BEAT HRBATY :armed:
Hrbaty always good opponent for you, just not your class! Make ownership over him continue! :)

:banana:

victoria_maraude
05-09-2005, 02:51 AM
Thank you so much for the translation Neely!

Jogy
05-10-2005, 03:00 PM
unbelievable

tommy in huge problems currently
very bad row of matches now :fiery:

oh noooooooooo Tommy :(

be good soon!

Jogy
05-10-2005, 03:24 PM
really only disappointment now
so sad for that
had h uge hope in tommy to do playing good this tournament again :sad:

oh no, so sad, I dont knows what to saying ayymore

so sad and sad...

victoria_maraude
05-11-2005, 02:28 AM
:crying2: No words.... I thought Tommy could win a couple of matches here, I can't believe he's out.... It's really sad. I feel bad for him 'cause I know what he must be thinking :tears:

gorgeous
05-12-2005, 09:50 AM
:crying2: No words.... I thought Tommy could win a couple of matches here, I can't believe he's out.... It's really sad. I feel bad for him 'cause I know what he must be thinking :tears:
:sad: I can't believe it either!

I went to Hamburg to see my favorite players there and almost everyone of them lost *sigh*

victoria_maraude
05-12-2005, 03:00 PM
From tennis-x.com:

"Here's an example of how the German tennis media has no hesitation in bringing the hammer down on Tommy Haas, especially after an opening-round loss in Hamburg, firing right from the first question in the post-match conference: "Q: How come you no longer can decide close matches in your favor? A: Since when? Q: I guess a year or so. A: That's a difficult question...Q: Is there a bigger problem this year? The bigger tournaments didn't really go well this year. A: Yes, right, of course I'm not happy with that...There are so many small things and also things no one of you know. I could sit here for an hour and go back five months, but that's of no use. Q: Could you give us some insight into these things? A: I don't know whether you noticed, but beginning of the year I played with a blue racquet. Now I'm back to my old one, the red one. These are things which did not work out 100 percent like I hoped...Q: Why did you experiment? A: Because it was time for a change. Q: Is it your fault that things are not proceeding? A: Good question. Probably yes...Q: How would you explain to somebody in Hamburg who hears the same words every year 'I give my best' that you lost again? A: Of course, it's a silly sentence, but what shall I say." Now that's bulldog media, impressive. Also nice of Tommy to break down the racquet situation in the color-coded format.."