°° Rafa in Hamburg °° [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

°° Rafa in Hamburg °°

~EMiLiTA~
05-04-2005, 03:19 PM
I know it's still early since he's still in Roma (and hopefully going to win the whole Rome tournament :D ) but I thought I'd make this thread now, since I've just heard that he and Feli are supposedly going to play doubles there :banghead: ...this boy seems to be obsessed with doubles...just as well he has a week off the following week!!!

Björki
05-04-2005, 04:35 PM
Vamos Rafa. I am going to Hamburg. And I would be very happy to see Rafa playing doubles there :)

~EMiLiTA~
05-05-2005, 01:44 PM
oh well in that case I'm happy for u!! have a great time in Hamburg!

adelaide
05-05-2005, 01:48 PM
It's nice that he wants to be an all-around player (as in singles and doubles), i guess. And these days not alot of people take doubles seriously, and that does make me feel sad. So I appreciate what he's doing. I just wish he wouldnt play both draws after, something like, 2 tiring back-to-back long-run tourneys. (and he has lots of those these days :lol: not that I'm complaining :))

He can play both singles AND doubles for Spain! :angel:

~EMiLiTA~
05-05-2005, 01:54 PM
yeah i agree with u adelaide...i'm just so paranoid about how he'll hold up physically since he's so prone to injuries etc that i'd rather he just concentrated on his singles! but if he feels he can cope with it, then that's ok i guess

alexito
05-05-2005, 02:33 PM
he no must play so much, he have care for RG, no tire himself

adelaide
05-07-2005, 07:39 PM
The draw is out! :)

(1) Roger Federer (SUI) vs. Fernando Verdasco (ESP)
David Ferrer (ESP) vs. Tomas Berdych (CZE)
Andre Pavel (ROM) vs. Gustavo Kuerten (BRA)
(WC) Alexander Waske (GER) vs. (14) Tommy Robredo (ESP)

(10) Guillermo Coria (ARG) vs. Vincent Spadea (USA)
Karol Beck (SVK) vs. Mikhail Youzhny (RUS)
Mario Ancic (CRO) vs. Florian Mayer (GER)
Fernando Gonzalez (CHI) vs. (7) Carlos Moya (ESP)

(3) Marat Safin (RUS) vs. Alberto Martin (ESP)
Jurgen Melzer (AUT) vs. Qualifier
Olivier Rochus (BEL) vs. Qualifier
Michael Llodra (FRA) vs. (15) Nikolay Davydenko (RUS)

(11) Joachim Johansson (SWE) vs. Sebastien Grosjean (FRA)
(WC) Phillip Kohlschreiber (GER) vs. Nicolas Kiefer (GER)
Filippo Volandri (ITA) vs. Qualifier
Feliciano Lopez (ESP) vs. (8) Andre Agassi

(5) Tim Henman (GBR) vs. (WC) Lars Burgsmuller (GER)
Greg Rusedski (GBR) vs. Phillip Petzschner (GER)
Juan Ignacio Chela (ARG) vs. Thomas Johansson (SWE)
Robin Soderling (SWE) vs. (9) David Nalbandian (ARG)

(13) Ivan Ljubicic (CRO) vs. Luis Horna (PER)
Qualifier vs. Qualifier
Max Mirnyi (BLR) vs. Albert Costa (ESP)
(4) Gaston Gaudio (ARG) vs. Qualifier

(6) Rafael Nadal (ESP) vs. Igor Andreev (RUS)
Jiri Novak (CZE) vs. Paradorn Srichaphan (THA)
Rainer Schuettler (GER) vs. Qualifier
Fabrice Santoro (FRA) vs. (12) Guillermo Canas (ARG)

(16) Radek Stepanek (CZE) vs. Cyril Saulnier (FRA)
Tommy Haas (GER) vs. Dominik Hrbaty (SVK)
Ivo Karlovic vs. Qualifier
Nicolas Massu (CHI) vs. (2) Andy Roddick (USA)

Not too bad, methinks. Eager to see what we can make out of Nadal-Andreev match up this time :)
And good news ;) he's not in the doubles draw.

martirogi
05-07-2005, 08:07 PM
i hope he loses early so he can have a nice long rest for paris.

knight_ley
05-07-2005, 08:49 PM
I want Rafa vs. Rainer!!!!!!!!!!!! But that would mean Rainer would have to win 2 consecutive matches... :lol:

VAMOS RAFA!!!!!!!

~EMiLiTA~
05-08-2005, 07:14 AM
NO DOUBLES!!! YAY! they must've decided against it...very sensible decision!

his singles draw is not too bad...hope he's not too tired from Rome. A best of 5 match today and then he'll have to play on Tuesday...not a lot of time to rest...but at least the week after he's not playing.

VAMOS RAFA!!!!! DO YOUR BEST! :bounce:

connectolove
05-08-2005, 07:18 AM
He must feel so full of energy, but he may burn himself this way. Well, he will do as he feels.

He really is something...

connectolove
05-08-2005, 07:20 AM
Oh, he is not in the doubles draw!

eddie_hyden
05-08-2005, 12:45 PM
our rafa already showed signs of mental tiredness lately, if not physical. so as much as i want him to win in hamburg, losing early could give him rest and appear fresher mentally and physically at rolland garros.

who cares if he could not overtake federer in atp points race in hamburg, i'd rather he overtake him in grand slam, that'd be awesome!

cheers all!

ataptc
05-08-2005, 02:47 PM
am so happy he's not playing doubles :banana: I agree with adelaide about the playing doubles part :)

our rafa already showed signs of mental tiredness lately, if not physical. so as much as i want him to win in hamburg, losing early could give him rest and appear fresher mentally and physically at rolland garros.
Yeah he seems tired in Rome.. Hope he doesnt tire himself too much that he loses early at RG!

NicoFan
05-08-2005, 02:51 PM
I definitely agree that he looks tired.

This sounds terrible, but I mean it in a good way. If he lost in the 1st or 2nd rounds in Hamburg - wouldn't be in the least upset at all.

Would give him a good 1 1/2 weeks to physically and mentally recoup.

Relax and have light workouts for a few days, then pick it up, then go to the French early like that Friday to get used to the clay there.

But that's my humble opinion :-)

Iza
05-08-2005, 05:57 PM
I think he's gonna have a hard time in Hamburg....Igor in 1st round. He's quite a strong player and he beat him in Valencia and now Nadal is tired cos the Rome final lasts over 4 hours...I'm not expectin' too much from Rafa in Hamburg....
But I prefer that he does well in RG to doin' well in Hamburg and bein' exhausted for the Fench Open.

Anyways, VAMOS Rafa :woohoo: !!!!!!! And good choice to skip the doubles :yeah: !

Jennay
05-08-2005, 08:30 PM
Rafa must be so tired, so, like most of you said, if he lost early I would not be too disappointed.

Anyways, ¡Buena suerte! :hug:
the Rome final lasts over 4 hours...
The total match time was 5 hours, 14 minutes! :eek:

roisin
05-08-2005, 09:00 PM
he's gotta be absolutely whacked. i'm still shocked he got thru the rome final today :eek:

NicoFan
05-08-2005, 10:03 PM
I just read on a Chilean online paper that he might not go to Hamburg because of an injury to his left hand. I was thinking that he should have an "injury" so he wouldn't have to go - the kid has to rest or he's not going to go far in Roland Garros.

NicoFan
05-08-2005, 10:06 PM
Here's the article translated:

From latercera.cl:

The contest of Spanish Rafael Nadal in the Masters Series of Hamburg that begins tomorrow is in doubt, due to the injury that suffers in the palm of the left hand.

The player Spanish, brilliant winner today of the tournament of Rome, will travel nevertheless to the German city and will pass the pertinent medical recognition, and will decide depending on the evolution of the injury.

Nadal has a strong cut in the finger index and a great blister in the palm of the left hand. He would have as first rival in Hamburg the Russian Igor Andreev.

Carlita
05-08-2005, 10:12 PM
Let's hope for the best!! He could do with the rest too!!

He's got nothing to defend because of his injury last year...everything he wins he gains !!!!! (next year will be much tougher!)

Good luck Little Man!!! :hug:

martirogi
05-08-2005, 11:58 PM
is it true he'll be in top 5 next week?

that was soooooooo fast. anyway id kinda be cool if rafa could win all 3 clay tennis masters in the same season, has anyone ever done that. but of course paris is the main goal so the rest is much better.

alexito
05-09-2005, 12:29 AM
yesssssssssssssssssssssss
nadal top 5 entry system!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

adelaide
05-09-2005, 01:11 PM
words have it that he has withdrawn. he went to hamburg and all, but his uncle Toni is already back in Mallorca, apparently. I am not all sure though..

knight_ley
05-09-2005, 01:27 PM
Let's hope he has withdrawn... He needs to get his hand healed before the French

~EMiLiTA~
05-09-2005, 01:57 PM
yeah...it would be better to just fully relax and rest up before RG...Hamburg is nothing...he's done so well this year already, and he's in the top 5...it would be much more beneficial to rest. hope he does that

Blanco y Negro
05-09-2005, 05:00 PM
Em,

I agree with you about Rafa not having to win in Hamburg...He has been playing some long matches as of late. Good thing he didn't decide to play doubles.

I hope he still does well. VAMOS!

Nastase
05-09-2005, 05:06 PM
Not easy to start against Andreev, in Valencia the russian won Rafa cause the spaniard was very tired after playing in Monte Carlo. I´m sure this time will be different, Vamosssss Rafa!!!

adelaide
05-09-2005, 05:08 PM
It's official: He's out.
Get some well-deserved rest, Rafael :hug:

and welcome to MTF/Rafael Nadal Fan Forum Nastase :) :wavey:

Nastase
05-09-2005, 05:14 PM
Thanx adelaide, anyway have some good rest will increase his chances of winning Roland Garros.

Iza
05-09-2005, 06:19 PM
Good thinkin' Rafa :yeah: ! No use in getting too tired, so relax relax relax and take care of yer lil hand :kiss: and be back fully fit and full of energy for Roland Garros :bigclap: !

Eruwen
05-09-2005, 06:23 PM
Good decision! Like Sjoukje said, he has nothing to defend, and we want him fit in RG! Enjoy some well-deserved rest Rafa! :yeah:

martirogi
05-09-2005, 06:59 PM
finally rafa use his head offcourt and rests up. u just keep getting better and better :yeah:

Carlita
05-09-2005, 07:35 PM
:hug: take your rest Little Man!!!!! We don't want you to be wasted at 20!! :hug:

Fumus
05-09-2005, 07:42 PM
I thought it was a good idea if he wants realistic chance of winning the french.

sonia
05-09-2005, 08:22 PM
it's a good decision!!!! :yeah: Descansa al·lot!!! :hug:

eddie_hyden
05-10-2005, 12:46 AM
That's just sensible.

I bet there's a collective sigh of relief from Hamburg, lol...

adelaide
05-10-2005, 12:47 AM
That's just sensible.

I bet there's a collective sigh of relief from Hamburg, lol...
:lol:

so what to do for the next 2 weeks? that is my question.

Jennay
05-10-2005, 12:50 AM

Hopefully NOT play golf. ;)

alexito
05-10-2005, 02:30 AM
yes rafa, I want to see win RG

eddie_hyden
05-10-2005, 05:08 AM

rafa should pick up a point or two about his serve.

he's already superb in returns, if he nails explosive serves, or even not explosive but well-placed serves, imagine how formidable he could be.

atp statistic shows our rafa tops 1st/2nd serve returns/return games won, but nowhere in aces/service games won/break pts saved etc, which players like federer and roddick tops...

http://www.atptennis.com/en/players/matchfacts/default.asp

cheers all!

eddie_hyden
05-10-2005, 05:18 AM
anyway, he should let the blisters heal completely, that's the most important thing...oh and remain fit, and maybe watch hamburg matches on tv and pick up some tips about other top players :)

loeliepoelie
05-10-2005, 10:44 AM
Very sensible decision to take this week off. I'm sure he'll find lots of things to do!

The only thing I'm a little worried about, is that this will give him time to think about what he's achieved. I hope he doesn't psyche himself out! *knocks on wood* He said himself that he's on a high now, but that he can't stay there forever. Just hope he stays there untill after Wimby! The good thing is that he has a great support system and that they will probably keep him grounded and make sure he doesn't put too much pressure on himself! :)

ataptc
05-10-2005, 10:46 AM
Good decision, I was hoping he would pull out too with those nasty blisters and long matches :) Rest well and come back strong for RG!

~EMiLiTA~
05-10-2005, 10:55 AM
thank GOD he pulled out...I feel tired for him! it's a very good decision...now he can just relax! a por roland garros campeón!!!!

y bienvenid@ al foro nastase! :wavey:

adelaide
05-10-2005, 12:40 PM
rafa should pick up a point or two about his serve.

he's already superb in returns, if he nails explosive serves, or even not explosive but well-placed serves, imagine how formidable he could be.

atp statistic shows our rafa tops 1st/2nd serve returns/return games won, but nowhere in aces/service games won/break pts saved etc, which players like federer and roddick tops...

http://www.atptennis.com/en/players/matchfacts/default.asp

cheers all!
DEUCE mag had a list of 10 players from top 50 with least number of aces.. Rafael was second. :o :angel:

but, not taking aces into account, his percentages as in accuracy is actually quite nice. :D but aces will definitely help him get through the hardcourt/indoor season. ;)

Jennay :rolls:

Eruwen
05-11-2005, 07:14 PM
Here's a video of the press conference Rafa did in Hamburg:

http://62.201.170.1/livescoring/pc/rm/Rafael_Nadal,09,1.ram

(Real player required)

He's so cute and humble and kind! :worship: :inlove:

Carlita
05-11-2005, 10:10 PM
aaaaaw :hug: cute!

BUT : talk English my little man!!! He was doing so well! And now he didn't even understand the most simple questions asked!!! He can do it, and should do it too!!! Of course, a translator at hand is okay, but try!

And it's so adorable, an English speaking Rafa!! :hug: :lol:

eddie_hyden
05-11-2005, 11:18 PM
hmm somehow cannot open the file, but 'humble and kind' do sound like rafa, lol..

martirogi
05-12-2005, 12:21 AM
i thought i was halfway decent at spanish, but i couldnt understand rafa :sad: :mad:

Carlita
05-12-2005, 06:57 AM
i thought i was halfway decent at spanish, but i couldnt understand rafa :sad: :mad:ýou and me both! :rolleyes: Of the Spanish guys, Fernando is the only one I understand ! Well, most of what he says! :lol:

Maybe if they speak slowly it would be better....maybe.....;)

ataptc
05-13-2005, 04:35 PM
do players have to go to the tournament in order to withdraw? No right? How thoughtful of rafa :) Before I clicked on that link, I was looking forward to him speaking in English too! Thought he would be taking steps forward in improving his English so I can understand what he says at press conferences :( Lol but he's cute as always :)

soso
05-13-2005, 09:42 PM
What a cute baby !!

Carlita
05-13-2005, 09:55 PM
do players have to go to the tournament in order to withdraw? No right? How thoughtful of rafa :) Before I clicked on that link, I was looking forward to him speaking in English too! Thought he would be taking steps forward in improving his English so I can understand what he says at press conferences :( Lol but he's cute as always :)
Yes they do have to go to the tournament. They have to be examined by the tournament doctor. I remember Carlos cancelling Bastad last year and he got fined a lot of money for not going to Bastad....so to avoid fines they have to show themselves......

~EMiLiTA~
05-14-2005, 02:45 PM
Yes they do have to go to the tournament. They have to be examined by the tournament doctor. I remember Carlos cancelling Bastad last year and he got fined a lot of money for not going to Bastad....so to avoid fines they have to show themselves......

yes i remember that! poor guy. i think nieminen also did it in stuttgart.

ataptc
05-14-2005, 03:40 PM
thanks for the info! Now I know :)