Tennis Masters Series Rome [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Tennis Masters Series Rome

Hasilicious
05-01-2005, 04:19 AM
Tommy will play Rainer in 1st round.

Fee
05-01-2005, 03:55 PM
Actually, Tommy will play Nicolas Kiefer in the first round.

tom&ni
05-02-2005, 01:27 AM
Yeah, Kiefer... Good luck baby boy!!! ;)

victoria_maraude
05-02-2005, 01:54 AM
It's an awful draw for Tommy, if he beats Kiefer he will face Coria o F. Gonzalez in second round, and even if he gets to third round, Nalbandian is in that part of the draw. He had no luck this time :( . He will have to play his best tennis. Come on sweetie! We're all waiting for your first title of the year!!!

smucav
05-03-2005, 03:55 AM
http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/ten/3163512
HoustonChronicle.com -- http://www.HoustonChronicle.com | Section: Tennis

May 2, 2005, 1:16AM
TENNIS NOTEBOOK
It's a mad, mad, mad, mad world
From Germany (Haas) to the U.S. (Roddick), tempers are bound to flare
By DALE ROBERTSON
Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

Tommy Haas spends so much time in Houston he's practically a local now, and the friendly, affable German is a most welcome guest, well-liked by all who cross his path.

But Haas, who will represent the Houston Wranglers in World Team Tennis this summer, admits he has a dark side. On the court, his temper remains his Achilles' heel, keeping him, he says, from again playing at the top-10 level he believes he's capable of.

Case in point was his U.S. Clay Courts quarterfinal loss to Jurgen Melzer, who ended Haas' seven-match winning streak in the tournament. He said his anger only buoyed Melzer's confidence. Melzer, who is prone to self-destructive behavior, too, knew what to look for.

"The mad thing is definitely something I need to work on to control," Haas said. "It's OK to let it out, but you have to refocus. You can't give your opponent the sign you're frustrated. When I was broken the second time, I had my head down a little bit.

"It's very difficult for me to control my temper sometimes, so I was trying to get my blood pressure down to normal. When I broke him back, I thought everything was OK, but then he broke again, and that was very tough for me to deal with. I admit I had a mental breakdown there."

Haas kept his cool reasonably well in Munich, his real hometown, this past week before losing a difficult three-set semifinal to Andrei Pavel. And he's hardly alone in his fight to stay calm.

Andy Roddick is also wont to fling the occasional racket and berate himself with the entire stadium listening in.

Roddick was asked if the outbursts let off steam. Sometimes, he replied, "but on days when I freak out, no."

"I'm kind of my best friend and my worst enemy at the same time, I guess," he said.

Roddick didn't have much to be mad about as he blew through the Houston tournament without dropping a set. A greater challenge beckons this week in Rome, where a much more formidable crowd awaits.

At least Roddick's two worst nemeses — the guys ranked above him, Roger Federer and Lleyton Hewitt — are taking the week off, and the hottest player on dirt at present, Rafael Nadal, is in the other half of the draw.

dale.robertson@chron.com

Jogy
05-03-2005, 03:43 PM
great article! thanks Smucav!!!

not so great match from Tommy :o :smash:

let us cheer for him again in Hamburg Masters! Do not give up all!! :bounce:
Tommy still great! :yeah:

Neely
05-03-2005, 09:14 PM
I have read a statement of Tommy as he said after the match that he originally didn't want to play Rome anymore after his week in Munich, but he nevertheless played it because else he would have gotten a high fine pulling out at such short notice.

Tommy also said that he wasn't only tired physically, but also in his mind. He didn't come there with his coach, only with his family, like a "recreational player" as the German article called it.

Sounds awful, hopefully he has soon some more confidence and positive thinking than losing the tournament before he even tried :sad:

tom&ni
05-04-2005, 01:54 AM
I don't know what elese to say! :confused: I saw the match and before he could say it, I knew he didn' want to play at all, and that was very frustrating- there was a group of young boys cheering loudly for him, and if that doesn't encourage you and think things over, then we're fried here. Until Tommy finds a solution to this issue of his, he just won't be able to be himself inside the court. Sad, but still hoping he'll get through it. I know he will. Maybe all we can do is stay positive to make him stay positive. ;)

Come on, Tommy!!!!! We love you, lad!!!! :hug: Come back!!! (from wherever you are...) :rolleyes:

smucav
05-05-2005, 03:30 AM
Interview with Tommy Haas (May 3rd, 2005):
http://www.asapsports.com/tennis/2005italia/050305TH.html

Neely
05-05-2005, 10:16 AM
LOL, looks like there haven't been too many questions... for any reason? :confused:

Hasilicious
05-05-2005, 01:09 PM
Good! Tommy seemed in the interview to already be putting the match behind him. Over and done with! Tommy, you will get your head together and win one of these tournaments in Germany. I just know you will. Go Hasi Go!

tom&ni
05-06-2005, 02:07 AM
Ooohhh... such a love!! ;) He's real sweet and patient, even though he says he's not patient at all... we love you Tommy!!!! Get ready for Hamburg next! Oh-oh, the Tiger returns to the jungle... :aplot: