OK so Mardy IS playing Rome - now he needs to win a match! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

OK so Mardy IS playing Rome - now he needs to win a match!

Deboogle!.
04-28-2005, 12:03 AM
Mardy would've gotten direct entry into Rome b/c of others' withdrawals, but is playing an indoor green clay challenger instead. I'm not sure what to think.

Éowyn
04-28-2005, 12:38 AM
hmm i can't decide if thats a good thing or not, i want to say! what the hell are you doing? but at the same time i thin it could be a good move, get a few wins in and build his confidence back up! but if he loses in a challenger i hate to think what would happen to his confidence

Golfnduck
04-28-2005, 12:49 AM
WTF MARDY!!!! :smash: :mad: Don't do challengers!!!! GET YOUR ASS TO ROME AND PLAY WITH THE BIG BOYS!!!!

Deboogle!.
04-28-2005, 12:51 AM
I feel the exact same way as you, JJ... it's good for some reasons but it's really stupid for some reasons. I just don't know.

Éowyn
04-28-2005, 01:27 AM
I feel the exact same way as you, JJ... it's good for some reasons but it's really stupid for some reasons. I just don't know.

i think if he can get some wins it'll give him alot of confidence, it's not like he's defending alot of points in rome so i think it could work out.

Deboogle!.
04-28-2005, 01:29 AM
Yea, but the reverse is that indoor green Har-Tru clay is really NOTHING like outdoor slow European red clay and that if he is getting direct entry into Rome that he should really be going there and playing. he could always play challengers in Europe on red clay in between but for him it's the matches on red clay that he really needs. Sigh.

Éowyn
04-28-2005, 01:48 AM
Yea, but the reverse is that indoor green Har-Tru clay is really NOTHING like outdoor slow European red clay and that if he is getting direct entry into Rome that he should really be going there and playing. he could always play challengers in Europe on red clay in between but for him it's the matches on red clay that he really needs. Sigh.

i think right now he just wins and it doens't matter what surface they're on

Deboogle!.
04-28-2005, 04:33 AM
y'know, I read the article more closely.... it says this:

"Evans said there is a slight possibility that Fish could gain direct entry into next week's ATP Tour event in Rome. He is the third alternate.

If he doesn't make the Rome field, Fish will play the Tunica Challenger ranked roughly 60 spots ahead of No. 2 seed Jeff Morrison."

Well, Mardy IS going to get directly into Rome, it's not really a slight possibility, it's pretty much a certainty at this point.... hmmmm....

Éowyn
04-28-2005, 08:05 PM
so he will play rome????

i don't see whyhe can't go through qualifiers like everyone else anyways! robby is :)

Carito_90
04-28-2005, 08:07 PM
Challenger...? Yeah Mardy because playing a final against the #4532453 in the world will SERIOUSLY make you improve huh, specially your ranking :rolleyes:

Deboogle!.
04-28-2005, 08:53 PM
he doesn't have to go through qualifiers. he's in directly because people have pulled out. if he plays rome, he'll be in the main draw. Somehow, his ranking is a lot higher than Robby's.

Caro, the only reason he would play is for confidence.

Éowyn
04-29-2005, 12:45 AM
he doesn't have to go through qualifiers. he's in directly because people have pulled out. if he plays rome, he'll be in the main draw. Somehow, his ranking is a lot higher than Robby's.

i know he doesn't have to my point is if he's saying he's going to play a a challenger if he didn't qualify automatically is just being plain lazy!

and the way he's going his ranking is not going to be higher than robby for much longer.

Deboogle!.
04-29-2005, 02:26 AM
Yeah, when his Halle final falls off in a few weeks.... BUBYE MARDY!!!!!!!!! *plop* that'll be the sound of his ranking falling off the face of the earth.

Éowyn
04-29-2005, 04:38 AM
Yeah, when his Halle final falls off in a few weeks.... BUBYE MARDY!!!!!!!!! *plop* that'll be the sound of his ranking falling off the face of the earth.

it's so depressing :sad: he need sto get his confidence back! i hope the challenger does teh trick coz if it doesn't :bigcry:

binkygirl
04-29-2005, 04:43 AM
So, is the concensus that Mardy's current slump is a confidence problem?

I think his match at the Olympics was a sort of turning point. Does anyone else agree?

Deboogle!.
04-29-2005, 04:47 AM
uh, yes, it's been the consensus for many months.

You'd think the Olympics would've been a turning point in a positive way, but considering he hasn't won 2 matches in a row since, I guess maybe it was a turning point in a bad way.

Whatever it is, it's about 95% mental.

Éowyn
04-29-2005, 04:54 AM
i think it's all mental! maybe we should just start lying to him and tell him it's an exhibition game, he seems to do alright then. "yes mardy roland garos is an exhibition tournament"..."no mardy it's not the french open it's a charity event"....."yes it's french for charity"..."honest"

you never know it could work. maybe i'll try that on him at queens!

Deboogle!.
04-29-2005, 05:02 AM
I wonder why Mardy chose to play Queens instead of Halle... the field is much tougher.

This is in Tennis-X's latest barbs... ouch.

"Is anyone playing worse than Mardy Fish this year? What's up, Super-Coach Todd Martin? Double what's up, traveling coach Scott Humphries?"

Anyway, I guess we'll find out tomorrow if Mardy's playing Rome or not - but that means he probably didn't leave until late Thursday or later, which means his preparation is next-to-nothing. Blah.

binkygirl
04-29-2005, 09:26 AM
uh, yes, it's been the consensus for many months.

You'd think the Olympics would've been a turning point in a positive way, but considering he hasn't won 2 matches in a row since, I guess maybe it was a turning point in a bad way.

Whatever it is, it's about 95% mental.

I hope he pulls out of it. I know Taylor Dent was shaken up for a few months when he got schooled by Roddick at the Australian Open, 6-0,6-0,6-0 or whatever.

Deboogle!.
04-29-2005, 02:45 PM
huh? Mardy wasn't beaten like that, he lost a tough, winnable 5-set match. That happens to players all the time. You get SMASHED by your countryman like Taylor did, well ok I understand that would be tough and take some of your confidence away. Nope, the Olympics loss isn't a good enough excuse for me. Plus it was many many months ago and he's made a lot of changes since then. nope, not an excuse.

Sjengster
04-29-2005, 04:28 PM
What I find interesting (and some may have forgotten) is that right after the Olympics Fish played in the US Open and lost in the second round from two sets to one up again, this time versus Tabara. That really seemed to be the killing blow, he completely crumbled after that in the indoor season - 3 points won in one set against Ancic but he somehow managed to come back and win, then he lost to Pavel 7-6 in the third after having served for the match. It's become obvious that he was massively overrated - not his talent level, but the amount he could achieve with that talent was severely overestimated. Two or three good tournaments a year will not get it done, and of course he has these continual injury problems.

The idea of playing a challenger isn't that bad in itself, but playing it on green clay and moreover on indoor green clay makes no sense as a preparation for playing on outdoor red clay. He could at least enter an event where conditions are similar to the major tournaments, but playing against inferior opposition on what is virtually a different surface will be of very little use, methinks.

Deboogle!.
04-29-2005, 05:10 PM
It's not often this happens, but Sjengster I totally agree with you. And some of us have definitely not forgotten his ridiculous capitulation at the USO.

But regardless, this was so long ago that I feel like with a new coaching team and stuff, he really should be beyond this mentally.

Sjengster
04-29-2005, 05:40 PM
Don't worry Deb - we'll agree again, don't know where, don't know when, but I know we'll agree again some sunny day...

I almost wonder whether the clay season is even worth bothering about for Fish - he doesn't have the pressure on him to perform on all surfaces as Roddick does since he's not in the same elite bracket, and he could almost adopt the same approach that old serve-volleyers like Rusedski do, ie use this period to train and build up strength for the grass season. If you wanted to devise the perfect anti-clay player then Fish is surely it, I still can't work out why PMac insisted on playing him in the DC final just to keep the young team dynamic going when everyone's favourite grinder Vinny Ice handed him and Roddick a lesson in practice sessions leading up to the tie.

There are some players who are limited by weak mental strength, some players limited by poor movement and fitness, some players who don't know how to co-ordinate the various elements of their game effectively - but I can't think of many who combine all three of those problems like Fish does. I was rooting for him in the Olympic final to stop the Raccoon claiming gold, and he's the only American who tries to play all-court tennis, but I prefer the kamikaze no-groundstroke approach of Denthead instead.

tangerine_dream
04-29-2005, 06:21 PM
Some of us have definitely not forgotten his ridiculous capitulation at the USO.

omg, I still have Mardy's Olympics final and second-round dismantling on tape somewhere. :scared: I find it really hard to watch Mardy's matches lately. Not because he loses, but it's the WAY he loses that really gets me (and everyone else too, I assume).

Throughout the entire second-round USO match, all I remember is Johnny Mac trashing Mardy the whole time. And Mardy deserved it. Remember all the trashing Andy got after that biazarre AO loss to Hewitt? Andy took it to heart and learned from it.

But everyone gets on Mardy--we all see and KNOW that he's squandering his talent--and you never get the impression that any of the well-meaning criticism is sinking in with him, or even if he really cares. He is so frustrating. :banghead:

Deboogle!.
04-29-2005, 06:25 PM
I find it really hard to watch Mardy's matches lately. Not because he loses, but it's the WAY he loses that really gets me (and everyone else too, I assume).Yea, definitely. Blarg. I agree with everything you said. Mardy is so talented, he just needs to put it all together, it's so frustrating.

smucav
04-29-2005, 07:17 PM
http://www.tennisreporters.net/commentary_KC_042805.htmlIs anyone playing worse than Mardy Fish this year? What's up, Super-Coach Todd Martin. Double what's up, traveling coach Scott Humphries?
The photo of Todd Martin (in the Memphis locker-room earlier this year) that appears in Deuce is not a picture of a happy coach. He's lurking in the background while Fish is joking around with Blake before their match. Even though Fish went on to win that match (by the skin of his teeth), that photo of Martin is one of the most telling I've ever seen.

Deboogle!.
04-29-2005, 07:28 PM
that's funny that the thing I posted from tennis-x is word-for-word the same thing as at TR.net - I wonder who ripped whom off?

annutjuh
04-29-2005, 08:08 PM
http://www.tennisreporters.net/commentary_KC_042805.html
The photo of Todd Martin (in the Memphis locker-room earlier this year) that appears in Deuce is not a picture of a happy coach. He's lurking in the background while Fish is joking around with Blake before their match. Even though Fish went on to win that match (by the skin of his teeth), that photo of Martin is one of the most telling I've ever seen.

I haven't seen that picture, is there anywhere i can find it?

Deboogle!.
04-29-2005, 08:34 PM
i'm not at home right now but I have the magazine at home and I can scan it if no one provides it by then, but yea Toddy doesn't look happy.

Éowyn
04-29-2005, 09:12 PM
the thing that bugged me most with the olympics was massus supposed injury (which i still believe to be fake).. most layers when playing against an ijured player turn on the steam roller mode and work on either forcing the player to withdraw or to get the quick breaks. Mardy however seems to think "ooh shit he's injured i should go easy on him now" and lets them back into the game, he needs to learn to close them out sometimes i just wish he'd get brad as a coach could brad'd hit some sense into him if he had to.

it's weird coz it always used to be robby that really frustrated me and watching mardy was although frustrating seemed to be like a breath of fresh air compared to robbys bewildering ways but recently they seemed to have swapped.

i do still believe mardy will get there and will reach his potential i just have no diea how damn long it's going to take him!

Sjengster
04-29-2005, 09:33 PM
It was ridiculous what Massu was able to get away with in that final; it's not as though he doesn't take his time between points anyway even when he's 100%, but in that match he was sitting down on the line judge's chair after virtually every point and not being picked up on it by the umpire. There is no doubt, though, that Fish's brain became severely scrambled when faced with a fatigued opponent.

Deboogle!.
04-29-2005, 09:57 PM
oh, Massu was definitely exhausted and injured in that match and Mardy definitely let it affect him. He even said up to PMac at one point "he's tired" or something, I remember. It was a joke. I'm sure it affected Mardy for a long time but it's long enough now that this should not be an issue affecting him anymore. that's my opinion. Whether it IS still bothering him, only he knows, but I don't think it SHOULD be.

As for being mentally affected by injured players, Mardy's not the only one. It tends to BADLY affect Andy, too. But he can recover himself before it's too late, and Mardy seems to not be able to. I just can't count the times Mardy has been up in sets and games and tiebreaks, only to lose them, and the match.

Sigh.

smucav
04-29-2005, 11:47 PM
that's funny that the thing I posted from tennis-x is word-for-word the same thing as at TR.net - I wonder who ripped whom off?Considering that Tennis-X credited TR.net when quoting from it--a day & half after it first appeared there--it's safe to say that TR.net is the primary source:
http://www.tennis-x.com/story/2005-04-29/d.php

Jennay
04-30-2005, 12:16 AM
:shrug: I don't see a problem, other than the surface is completely different from the slow red clay. Mardy really needs confidence, and another second round loss won't help. /optimism

MARDY FISH, you better win this Challenger. If you DON'T, then, well.. you suck.

Deboogle!.
04-30-2005, 12:59 AM
Jen, it's just the "in theory" problem... I mean giving up entry into a MASTERS tourney to play a CHALLENGER??? It just seems.... stupid. Plus it's just the same thing of the US guys being afraid to go over there. they hide out in the US and play more favorable events as much as they can. He needs top play Rome. End.

Jennay
04-30-2005, 01:10 AM
But he would just lose early again. He NEEDS a few match wins, and he won't get them in big events till he gets that confidence.

Deboogle!.
04-30-2005, 01:11 AM
What happens if he loses early in a challenger where he's the highest-ranked player by almost 50 spots? :tape:

Éowyn
04-30-2005, 01:19 AM
then we can officially panic debs!

Éowyn
04-30-2005, 01:21 AM
oh, Massu was definitely exhausted and injured in that match and Mardy definitely let it affect him. He even said up to PMac at one point "he's tired" or something, I remember. It was a joke. I'm sure it affected Mardy for a long time but it's long enough now that this should not be an issue affecting him anymore. that's my opinion. Whether it IS still bothering him, only he knows, but I don't think it SHOULD be.

As for being mentally affected by injured players, Mardy's not the only one. It tends to BADLY affect Andy, too. But he can recover himself before it's too late, and Mardy seems to not be able to. I just can't count the times Mardy has been up in sets and games and tiebreaks, only to lose them, and the match.

Sigh.

andy usually only lets it affect him for a game then steam rolls them! every now and then he has glitches but generally he's okay! but mardy just seems to panic.

Deboogle!.
04-30-2005, 02:27 AM
Here's the pic from Deuce. This is right before James and Mardy played each other, it's them and their two coaches. You can see an un-thrilled Todd in the background.

Éowyn
04-30-2005, 03:11 AM
Here's the pic from Deuce. This is right before James and Mardy played each other, it's them and their two coaches. You can see an un-thrilled Todd in the background.

he looks like a bouncer in that pic haha!

annutjuh
04-30-2005, 10:10 AM
thanks so mutch. I defenetly understand what you meant he really does looks un-thrilled

annutjuh
04-30-2005, 11:47 AM
the telecom italia masters draw just came out:

Moya,Carlos(7)
Starace, Potitio(WC)

Fish, Mardy
Schuettler, Rainer

snaillyyy
04-30-2005, 12:28 PM
:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: will Mardy ever get a break!!!

Deboogle!.
04-30-2005, 02:18 PM
You're welcome :)

It's like battle of the slumping.. Mardy really could beat Schuettler.

Jennay
04-30-2005, 06:24 PM
Slumpy vs. Slumpier :rolleyes:

Just win one match. :bounce:

Deboogle!.
04-30-2005, 07:03 PM
Slumpy vs. Slumpier :rolleyes: :haha:

Éowyn
05-01-2005, 12:21 AM
ahhhh man this will be fun!

Deboogle!.
05-01-2005, 12:43 AM
Carlos might pull out b/c of his shoulder... this could be a real opportunity for Mardy.

Éowyn
05-01-2005, 02:16 AM
opportunity knocks mardy are you gonna answer it?

Jennay
05-01-2005, 02:30 AM
:haha:
Knew you would like that one. :p

tangerine_dream
05-01-2005, 04:11 AM
Slumpy vs. Slumpier :rolleyes:

Just win one match. :bounce:

LOL. Our expectations for Mardy have gotten ridiculously low. We're at Dokic-levels now, I think.

C'mon Mardy, take out Rainer! :banana:

aceit
05-01-2005, 05:22 PM
Please win, Mardy. :bounce:

Aleksa's Laydee
05-01-2005, 07:27 PM
LOL. Our expectations for Mardy have gotten ridiculously low. We're at Dokic-levels now, I think.

C'mon Mardy, take out Rainer! :banana:

oh god...that is LOW!!! :sad:

Éowyn
05-01-2005, 09:59 PM
i have placed my only $25 vcash on him if he does not win me some money i am going to have to throw something heavy at him at queens and i don't mean myself!

aceit
05-01-2005, 10:13 PM
i have placed my only $25 vcash on him if he does not win me some money i am going to have to throw something heavy at him at queens and i don't mean myself!
:lol:

Breakaway
05-02-2005, 01:23 AM
Hehe, this thread and some in Andy's forum are to funny!

Go Mardy :bounce:

Éowyn
05-02-2005, 01:27 AM
we're just funny people breakaway, and i think you really HAVE to have a sense of humour to watch mardy!

Golfnduck
05-02-2005, 02:13 AM
LET'S GO MARDY!!!! I'm hoping he makes it to the 2nd round.

Éowyn
05-02-2005, 01:39 PM
LET'S GO MARDY!!!! I'm hoping he makes it to the 2nd round.

it'd be a start wouldn't it!

Aleksa's Laydee
05-02-2005, 04:42 PM
yeah mardy pulled out OR changed his nme to alberto martin...

Fee
05-02-2005, 04:52 PM
Mardy injured his wrist. He's headed back to the US to get it looked at, probably out for about 2 weeks.

Deboogle!.
05-02-2005, 04:58 PM
Mardy :crying2: He can't stay healthy, ever.

Aleksa's Laydee
05-02-2005, 05:26 PM
omg how do u know?? this sucks ass soooooooooo much

Fee
05-02-2005, 05:46 PM
I'll PM you...

Kiara
05-02-2005, 06:38 PM
Mardy injured his wrist. He's headed back to the US to get it looked at, probably out for about 2 weeks.

:sad:

he can take his time to recover he has 0 to defend till Halle anyway :o

Kiara
05-02-2005, 06:56 PM
Mardy would've gotten direct entry into Rome b/c of others' withdrawals, but is playing an indoor green clay challenger instead. I'm not sure what to think.

dumb idea. Winning a indoor clay challenger over Morisson, james blake and Gimelblob and all the other claycourt gimps is a cheap way to get confidence and match practice...it wont do anything for him.

Kiara
05-02-2005, 06:58 PM
So, is the concensus that Mardy's current slump is a confidence problem?

some of us think it's a weight problem actually ;)

Deboogle!.
05-02-2005, 07:02 PM
dumb idea. Winning a indoor clay challenger over Morisson, james blake and Gimelblob and all the other claycourt gimps is a cheap way to get confidence and match practice...it wont do anything for him.Well I agree, but he didn't do it anyway - he actually went to Rome. then he got hurt :sad:

Kiara
05-02-2005, 07:08 PM
how did he hurt himself?

aceit
05-02-2005, 07:11 PM

Éowyn
05-02-2005, 07:11 PM
Mardy :bigcry: this really is starting to get annoying, i am going to ban any of my boysfrom ever plaing in rome again! fires, injuries, net posts, hitting balls to amke people run into net posts......... ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Éowyn
05-02-2005, 07:13 PM

not many of us! it's all down to his head!

Kiara
05-02-2005, 07:16 PM
xtra weight=poor movement=lousy performance=loss of confidence ;)

Kiara
05-02-2005, 07:17 PM

nice avatar :)

aceit
05-02-2005, 07:27 PM
nice avatar :)
How funny you say that because I was going to say that to you and then got too lazy to type. :p I love yours.

Kiara
05-02-2005, 07:45 PM
:D thx

liptea
05-03-2005, 07:18 PM
Mardy :crying2: He can't stay healthy, ever.

WTF. :sad:

binkygirl
05-04-2005, 08:55 AM

he can take his time to recover he has 0 to defend till Halle anyway :o

If he can't defend the points, how far will he drop?

binkygirl
05-04-2005, 08:55 AM

How much did he gain?

PaulieM
05-05-2005, 03:45 AM
Mardy :bigcry: this really is starting to get annoying, i am going to ban any of my boysfrom ever plaing in rome again! fires, injuries, net posts, hitting balls to amke people run into net posts......... ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
rome is some serious bad luck :sad:

Éowyn
05-05-2005, 04:03 AM
rome is some serious bad luck :sad:

yes very much so! i get scared when my boys are in rome! andy seems to be trying to reverse the curse this week though dunno how long it'll last though :scared:

binkygirl
05-07-2005, 06:46 AM
Do you think that he maybe just didn't want to play? This might be an emotional funk.

Deboogle!.
05-07-2005, 02:25 PM
No, he hurt his cartilage in his wrist. He was already over there, and he pulled out after the draw, so I don't think he would've risked a fine if he just didn't feel like playing - he could've just gone out and played and lost lol

Éowyn
05-08-2005, 02:13 AM
well said debs i agree i don't think he'd have done that he's not that type of guy

Fee
05-08-2005, 04:24 PM
No, he wouldn't have done that and no way would Scott have agreed to that. Sucks to fly all the way over there, turn around and fly home so quickly. He should be okay for RG though, fingers crossed.

Deboogle!.
05-10-2005, 03:52 AM
According to Mardy's site, he's started practicing again today with one-handed BHs (His 2-hander is so vunderful :sad: ) and will do therapy and stuff. So, hopefully he'll be ok for RG :)

Éowyn
05-10-2005, 06:24 AM
According to Mardy's site, he's started practicing again today with one-handed BHs (His 2-hander is so vunderful :sad: ) and will do therapy and stuff. So, hopefully he'll be ok for RG :)

well thats good news! except the one handed backhand :eek:

Deboogle!.
05-10-2005, 02:22 PM
I'm sure that's just a temporary thing til it's strong enough... I'm "glad" it's his left wrist, though. He can still practice his serve and forehand and volleys - which need more practice than his BH does lol