BMW Open Munich [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

BMW Open Munich

Hasilicious
04-25-2005, 04:12 AM
Looks like Hasi will play Tuesday. He's doing a session with children on Monday. Very kind Tommy. You're a good man. We are already missing you here in the US!! GO TOMMY! Win this one at home! Enjoy Germany honey!!

Hasilicious
04-25-2005, 04:22 AM
Hello German friends, as always I'm asking for a translation from Tommy's website. Thanks to anyone who will.

Houston, Viertelfinale: Aus gegen Jürgen Melzer

Mit 6:2, 2:6 und 4:6 habe ich im Viertelfinale gegen Österreichs Nr. 1, Jürgen Melzer, verloren. Dabei lief bis zum 6:2 und 2:2 eigentlich alles nach Plan. Doch dann gewann Jürgen 4 Spiele in Folge, durchbrach meinen Aufschlag erneut im 3. Satz und brachte diesen Vorsprung ins Ziel. Meine Enttäuschung darüber ist sehr groß. Ich wollte hier unbedingt meinen Titel verteidigen.

Freue mich auf BMW Open

Einen Vorteil hat die Niederlage natürlich: ich komme früher nach Deutschland und kann mich besser akklimatisieren. Denn am Montag beginnen in München die BMW Open. Im Jahr 2000 erreichte ich dort das Finale, verlor es damals gegen den Argentinier Franco Squillari.
Wie ihr wisst, lebt meine Familie ja in oder im Umkreis von München. Der Besuch bei den BMW Open ist deshalb auch eine Art Familienbesuch. In diesem Jahr werde ich an drei Turnieren in Deutschland teilnehmen. Abgesehen von den BMW Open bin ich am Hamburger Rothenbaum und in Halle am Start.

NiciSunflower
04-25-2005, 02:40 PM
Hello German friends, as always I'm asking for a translation from Tommy's website. Thanks to anyone who will.

Houston, Viertelfinale: Aus gegen Jürgen Melzer

Mit 6:2, 2:6 und 4:6 habe ich im Viertelfinale gegen Österreichs Nr. 1, Jürgen Melzer, verloren. Dabei lief bis zum 6:2 und 2:2 eigentlich alles nach Plan. Doch dann gewann Jürgen 4 Spiele in Folge, durchbrach meinen Aufschlag erneut im 3. Satz und brachte diesen Vorsprung ins Ziel. Meine Enttäuschung darüber ist sehr groß. Ich wollte hier unbedingt meinen Titel verteidigen.

Freue mich auf BMW Open

Einen Vorteil hat die Niederlage natürlich: ich komme früher nach Deutschland und kann mich besser akklimatisieren. Denn am Montag beginnen in München die BMW Open. Im Jahr 2000 erreichte ich dort das Finale, verlor es damals gegen den Argentinier Franco Squillari.
Wie ihr wisst, lebt meine Familie ja in oder im Umkreis von München. Der Besuch bei den BMW Open ist deshalb auch eine Art Familienbesuch. In diesem Jahr werde ich an drei Turnieren in Deutschland teilnehmen. Abgesehen von den BMW Open bin ich am Hamburger Rothenbaum und in Halle am Start.

As usual a quick translation, don't blame for mistakes :p

Houston, QF: Game over against Jürgen Melzer

With 6:2, 2:6 and 4:6 I lost against Austria's number one Jürgen Melzer in the Quarterfinals - although everything was fine until 6:2 and 2:2. But then Jürgen won 4 straight games, broke me again in the 3rd set and then finally made it with this lead. My disappointment about that is huge. I wanted to defend my title so bad.

Looking forward to the BMW Open

Of course the loss has one advantage: I can go earlier to Germany and become acclimatized better, because the BMW Open in Munich will start on Monday. In 2000 I reached the final and lost against Argentine Franco Squillari.
As you know, my family lives in or near Munich. The trip to the BMW Open therefore is kind of a family visit as well. This year I will take part in 3 German tournaments. Apart from the BMW Open I'll be in Hamburg and Halle.

Neely
04-25-2005, 11:29 PM
I hope he doesn't blow it against Almagro tomorrow! :(

Good luck, Tommy! Please don't lose early and go far in Munich!!! :bounce:

tom&ni
04-26-2005, 02:27 AM
COME ON, TOMMY!!!! :yeah: You should leave Houston behind and focus on this tournament. You deserve to win!! Just stay focused and relax. Spend some time with your family! You'll do just fine, love. No worries ;)

GO TOMMY GO!!! :woohoo:

alexito
04-26-2005, 02:10 PM
tommy def almagro 75 63 in firts round munich

Hasilicious
04-26-2005, 02:23 PM
Tommy you were awesome, darling! Go for this one! Thanks for the translation, Nici!

victoria_maraude
04-27-2005, 08:08 PM
From Tommy's official site:

Good start at the BMW Open:

Munich. I am really satisfield with the way I played today. With a 7:5, 6:3 victory over Nicolas Almagro from Spain I reached the 2nd round of the BMW Open 2005. We played the fourth match of the day on centre court.

It´s so nice to be back in Germany after a couple of months. Above all it´s just great to see my family. Yesterday, we went to the players party together.
Tomorrow, I will practice with Paradorn Srichaphan. My next match will be on thursday.

Jogy
04-28-2005, 01:03 AM
2nd round against Lee! a TOTALLY MUST WIN MATCH FOR TOMMY!!!!

COMING ON, Tommy!!!! Make the round!! :)

Hasilicious
04-28-2005, 01:57 AM
Tommy, you have no idea how many people all over the world love you! You're awesome, sugar!! Concentrate and your talent will blow this guy away!!!! Take it all!!!

tom&ni
04-28-2005, 02:33 AM
Good luck against Lee, Sugarlicious... :yeah:

Hasilicious
04-28-2005, 02:46 AM
BTW Victoria, I love your Tommy avatar!!!

victoria_maraude
04-28-2005, 04:20 PM
BTW Victoria, I love your Tommy avatar!!!

Yeah, i love it too. He looks so happy, he is beautiful when he smiles. Well, he is beautiful when he is angry, too. He always looks great! :)

Neely
04-28-2005, 11:52 PM
Haas def. Lee 6-3 6-4

That looks clearly, right? But I should tell you it was quite a struggle and I lost count how many times Tommy was down 15-30, 0-30 or once even 0-40. However, he got through it without getting broken the whole match and he broke Lee's serve exactly at the end of the sets (once at 4-3* and another time at *4-4). But Lee was really playing well and contributed to the match to make it entertaining, even though it was IMO not the best match.

Next one is Arthurs. He can beat him, too. But Tommy must be more careful against Arthurs serve and he needs to find a way passing him at the net. Andreev didn't and lost to Arthurs. Thanks to a good draw, Tommy can reach the semifinal here in Munich quite easily. He should make use of it.

Fee
04-29-2005, 04:51 AM
Thanks for the info Neely. I'm not a big fan of clay court tennis, but I would really like to see Tommy win this tournament. He has a better chance on grass, but I want him to feel that all these weeks in Europe (3 in Germany including Halle) were time well spent. He doesn't seem to have his rhythm just yet.

Agassi Fan
04-29-2005, 10:04 AM
Arthurs will be hard!
Go Tommy, you can do it!

Neely
04-29-2005, 10:08 AM
Come on, Tommy! Play a good match and then you will beat Arthurs :yeah:

Fee
04-29-2005, 05:29 PM
Tie-break expert Haas reaches Munich semis
Fri 29 Apr, 5:11 PM

MUNICH, Germany (AFP) - German fourth seed Tommy Haas surged into the semi-finals of the 323,250 euro (419,754 dollar) BMW Open with a 7-6 (8/6), 7-6 (7/5) win over Australian veteran Wayne Arthurs.

It is the first time Haas has reached the last four since 2000 and he now hopes to become the first German to win the trophy since Michael Stich in 1994.

Former World No. 2 Haas claimed Arthurs had one of the best serves in world tennis before the encounter but he did not need to break service once winning two tense tie-breaks.

At 6-6 the first set was decided by a tie-break and Arthurs looked in control at 4-1 up but Haas produced some devastating ground strokes to win 8-6.

"It was not easy against Arthurs," admitted Haas. "I was behind in the first tie-break but fought my way back."

In the second set left-hander Arthurs was booming aces past Haas but he could not break the German ace whose fierce forehands tested his 34-year-old legs to the limit.

A second tie-break contest followed and Haas triumphed 7-5 to move into the last four.

Fifth seeded Romanian Andrei Pavel will face Haas after beating Dutchman Raemon Sluiter 6-1, 3-6, 6-3 in his quarter-final match.

"Pavel is a very good player," acknowledged Haas. "We have had some close battles in the past."

Argentina's number one seed David Nalbandian is the favourite to win the competition after cruising into the last four with a 6-0, 6-4 victory over compatriot Juan Monaco.

Nalbandian has hardly had to break sweat since arriving in Munich and the 2002 Wimbledon finalist will face Finnish qualifier Jarkko Nieminen in the semi-final.

Nieminen came out on top against Slovakian Michal Mertinak 3-6, 6-1, 6-4 and will hope to go one better than in 2003 when Swiss ace Roger Federer beat him in the final.

(yahoo tennis/UK)

Neely
04-30-2005, 05:32 PM
Here are some impressions from my piont of view that I posted in the GM thread after his match:

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=1595894&postcount=5

After the match, Tommy was asked during the TV interview what was going on in his mind when he fell behind 0-4 in the third set after taking the 2nd set in a strong fashion which should have given him the momentum over Pavel who struggled at this time. Then Tommy answered: "I should better not tell you and keep this private for myself. I know I still have too many things on my mind occassionally, but I'm working on it and I hope it's getting better".

Well, this didn't sound as if his "private problems" about that he already complained in Indian Wells and Miami were solved yet. But hopefully he will soon get a completely clear head for his tennis. It's so important!

For those who didn't see, I can only tell you again that he had some beautiful shots and that it was a good performance from playing quality and fighting effort, even though he was denied the happy end at the end.

Fee
04-30-2005, 06:14 PM
Thank you Neely. Wish I could have seen this match. Unfortunately, the last time I saw him play was that hideous Mathieu match at Indian Wells and I really hate having that stuck in my memory. Maybe I'll watch the tape of last year's Houston final this weekend.

Hearing Tommy talk about whatever is still on his mind almost makes me want to try to see him again this summer in Los Angeles. He seemed to be in such a good place when I spoke to him in Indian Wells, it really suprised me to hear him make that comment two days later. I really hope he's okay and can work through whatever this problem is.

Jogy
04-30-2005, 06:19 PM
Neely, how was Tommy this week when you have sawn him around the tournament facility?

Neely
04-30-2005, 07:16 PM
Neely, how was Tommy this week when you have sawn him around the tournament facility?
He was normal, I would say relaxed from exterior view. I couldn't notice anything special, he was mostly being surrounded by Patrik Kühnen or his sisters who were there every day I was there.

But this can't tell us what's going on in his mind. We can't say what it is and if there is something :shrug:

I just hope that he feels better soon.

tom&ni
05-01-2005, 02:29 AM
Oh, honey... :sad:

I really thought he had left all those problems behind. He seemed really focused now in Munich, and happy, probably because his family was there...

Tommy, you should be happy: you played your best, you had a very tough competitor in front of you worth losing to, and you had your family with you. That's really important! You should try to use those good thoughts on getting your problems worked out. Be happy!! ;) Good luck in Rome then... :yeah:

And... WE LOVE YOU TOMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :) :) Cheer up, love!!! :hug:

victoria_maraude
05-02-2005, 03:17 AM
Have you read this?:(about the match against Pavel)

Haas warded off three match points and charged back several times. Trailing 4-2 in the final set, Haas slammed his racket against the net during the following game. He hit a metal ATP sign, breaking his racket. That automatically cost Haas the point and game.

"If that ATP sign wasn't there, my racket wouldn't have broken," Haas said. "It's very hard to accept that I'm leaving the court as a loser."

You're not a loser baby! You gave your best and you fought 'til the end. You should be happy you reached the semis. Come on Tommy! Nobody's perfect, don't put so much pressure on yourself. Just be happy... :)

tom&ni
05-03-2005, 02:43 AM
Yeah, I guess I understand you, love. When you get there you just wanna keep on goin' to the end... but, you know, we can't control everything, and hard as it may seem, sometimes we have to accept we're not absolute. In your case it's really difficult, because you know you're way better than the one standing on the other side of the net. Well, at least you get that from this. Try to forget about it, and you'll do fine next time. Don't punish yourself with thoughts that aren't worth it ;)

Save your energy for next time!!! :)