Ferrero rises again, def. Gaudio 6:4 4:6 6:3 to make Barcelona semis! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Ferrero rises again, def. Gaudio 6:4 4:6 6:3 to make Barcelona semis!

Rogiman
04-22-2005, 03:06 PM
And of course, credit to Gaston for choking once again ;)

~EMiLiTA~
04-22-2005, 03:10 PM
wow! good result for JC!!! now he plays either Davydenko or Mirnyi...he has a good shot of getting to the final!! vamos!!

Puschkin
04-22-2005, 03:11 PM
JCF will be a dangerous floater in RG, as his entry position is so bad. Does anyone know which date in the entry-list they will use in RG for the seedings?

JuanChuffy007
04-22-2005, 03:11 PM
well done JC :yeah:

Lynne
04-22-2005, 03:12 PM
Congrats JC!!
Great win!! :bounce:

Fergie
04-22-2005, 03:13 PM
Gaston :rolleyes:

Alvarillo
04-22-2005, 03:14 PM
oh ir has been a great match, a lot of winners, incredible drop-shots, and a gret defense from JCF in break points, he deserved the victory, he's improving his game more and more
felicidades jc!
vamosssssssssss

The seedings will be determined by the rankings of the week before to RG

thelma
04-22-2005, 03:15 PM
Well done, JC! :)

And of course, credit to Gaston for choking once again ;)

:lol: :p

Rogiman
The seedings will be determined by the rankings of the week before to RG

Hopefully JCF will at least make it to the top 32 by then

Action Jackson
Congratulations to Ferrero the better player on the day won the match.

Taking 3 out of 18 break point chances says it all really and that's not going to get the job done Gaudio. It's better to be trashed than lose matches like this http://apolyton.net/forums/images/smilies/nono.gif Gaston

Rogiman
04-22-2005, 03:17 PM
It's better to be trashed than lose matches like this http://apolyton.net/forums/images/smilies/nono.gif Gaston

I beg to differ, losing 6:3 6:0 is really nothing to write home about :rolleyes:

Alvarillo
04-22-2005, 03:18 PM
Congratulations to Ferrero the better player on the day won the match.

Taking 3 out of 18 break point chances says it all really and that's not going to get the job done Gaudio. It's better to be trashed than lose matches like this http://apolyton.net/forums/images/smilies/nono.gif Gaston

In break points Gaudio wasn't losing them, JCF with his game in that points saved most of them!!!

Nacho
wohoo JC is back on track :D

Action Jackson
I beg to differ, losing 6:3 6:0 is really nothing to write home about :rolleyes:

It's much better to be trashed, then it's absolutely clear.

Rogiman
04-22-2005, 03:20 PM

It's absolutely clear you should take golf instead....? :p

Action Jackson
04-22-2005, 03:20 PM
In break points Gaudio wasn't losing them, JCF with his game in that points saved most of them!!!

I got texts from guys watching the match and Gaudio in the 1st set when he had a lot of bps dumped forehands into the net on 2nd serves and missed volleys.

Puschkin
04-22-2005, 03:21 PM
I think it depends on a player's personality whether is is better to be thrashed or lose a close match.

Action Jackson
04-22-2005, 03:22 PM
It's absolutely clear you should take golf instead....? :p

There is no doubt in the mind when schooled 6-3 6-0 is there? :)

Alvarillo
04-22-2005, 03:24 PM
I got texts from guys watching the match and Gaudio in the 1st set when he had a lot of bps dumped forehands into the net on 2nd serves and missed volleys.

i didn't see the first games, but i saw then all the match and Ferrero played aggresive in BP, making winners so...

Action Jackson
04-22-2005, 03:25 PM
i didn't see the first games, but i saw then all the match and Ferrero played aggresive in BP, making winners so...

As long as we agree the right player won the match and in this case I think that's definitely true.

federer express
04-22-2005, 03:28 PM
ppl shouldn't be surprised. when ferrero gets his game back completely he will again be the best player in the world on clay. in my humble opinion ;)

Action Jackson
04-22-2005, 03:30 PM
ppl shouldn't be surprised. when ferrero gets his game back completely he will again be the best player in the world on clay. in my humble opinion ;)

I am not surprised at all, the only thing that irritates me is that Gaudio couldn't convert all those chances.

Ferrero isn't a muppet unlike some people want to believe.

Corinna
04-22-2005, 03:30 PM
:yeah:
well done jc :worship:
finally he is one his way back :D :woohoo:

Iza
04-22-2005, 03:33 PM
Congrats Juanqui!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :woohoo: :woohoo: :bigclap: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Tjo I feel sorry for Gaston :hug: :tears: but JCF needs to WIN more than him cos Gaston already has 2 titles this year VAMOS JUANQUI! Get into that final :rocker2: !

federer express
04-22-2005, 03:33 PM
Ferrero isn't a muppet unlike some people want to believe.

remember the easy rule:

muppets dont win RG

Action Jackson
04-22-2005, 03:35 PM
remember the easy rule:

muppets dont win RG

Even the easier rule:

Thou who does not take opportunities when presented, shall not win match.

Rogiman
04-22-2005, 03:36 PM

Ferrero's 2003 RG was as dominant a performance as I remember(his R16 win against Mantilla - jesus...), and I hope he will one day be able to play like that again.

Does anybody remember Tim took the first set of their 2nd Rd match...? :tape:

oxy
04-22-2005, 03:36 PM
Vamos JC!!!!!

jazz_girl
04-22-2005, 03:37 PM
Great match!!!! Congratulations to both players for playing a match of this quality :yeah: And it is good to see Ferrero playing like this again.

federer express
04-22-2005, 03:38 PM
Even the easier rule:

Thou who does not take opportunities when presented, shall not win match.

not neceassarily. :p you remember agassi at the aussie open? against kindlmann in the first round he had an awful success ratio of break point chances! ;) but you are right of course in that when playing someone of a similar standard or better, you have to take your chances....

Action Jackson
04-22-2005, 03:38 PM
Ferrero's 2003 RG was as dominant a performance as I remember(his R16 win against Mantilla - jesus...), and I hope he will one day be able to play like that again.

Does anybody remember how tim took the first that of their 2nd Rd match...? :tape:

Someone had to win a set off him in that tournament.

That Mantilla match was his best ever performance. Mantilla said to him afterwards, how much was the lesson.

PaulieM
04-22-2005, 03:39 PM
wow congrats JC!! :clap2:

Action Jackson
not neceassarily. :p you remember agassi at the aussie open? against kindlmann in the first round he had an awful success ratio of break point chances! ;) but you are right of course in that when playing someone of a similar standard or better, you have to take your chances....

I mean Gaudio played Ferrero and not Gimelstob, that was the difference :)

Sjengster

Does anybody remember how tim took the first that of their 2nd Rd match...? :tape:

Yep - it was the 3rd round, he played well and executed the perfect game plan for one set, and then Ferrero stepped it up and put him away. The same with Coria last year. Henman hasn't lost to nobodies at RG, and losing a set to him is hardly a disgrace.

federer express
. Mantilla said to him afterwards, how much was the lesson.

lol...cool thing to say

Deboogle!.
JCF!!!!!!!! :woohoo: :woohoo:

User id 7816
04-22-2005, 03:40 PM
pufff this is bitter-sweet....

Gaston on bps - 3/18
JC on bps - 4/13

since there's so much speculation about the bps conversions...slightly better for JC
guess that made the difference in the end, with the last break JC got....otherwise....the match was all i expected it to be even though I couldnt see :sad:

JC needed exactly a hard fought win like that over a top guy like Gaston!!! :woohoo:

Gaston...:bigcry:...revenge may be soon who knows?....the best is yet to come I think!!! :devil:

federer express
04-22-2005, 03:43 PM
Yep - it was the 3rd round, he played well and executed the perfect game plan for one set, and then Ferrero stepped it up and put him away. The same with Coria last year. Henman hasn't lost to nobodies at RG, and losing a set to him is hardly a disgrace.

maybe...but can you name one really good player henman has beaten there? :scratch:

Rogiman
Henman hasn't lost to nobodies at RG, and losing a set to him is hardly a disgrace.

Of course not, but Tim was back from an injury and had never been known for being a great clay-court player before, and Ferrero was right on top of his game so it took everyone by surprise.

Action Jackson
JCF had less opportunities but had a better conversion rate, so it wasn't a question of luck at all. Ferrero was better when it counted and deserved his victory.

This is to just a disclaimer if anyone thinks I am making excuses.

Action Jackson
04-22-2005, 03:44 PM
lol...cool thing to say

He was just being honest and saying the truth.

tangerine_dream
04-22-2005, 03:45 PM
Juanqui is finally back :woohoo:

Rogiman
04-22-2005, 03:47 PM
That Mantilla match was his best ever performance. Mantilla said to him afterwards, how much was the lesson.

It was a brilliant match, Ferrero was hitting smoking forehand and backhand winners past Mantilla on virtually every point, and Mantilla was in the form of his life, having won TMS Roma a couple weeks earlier!

Sjengster
04-22-2005, 03:47 PM
maybe...but can you name one really good player henman has beaten there? :scratch:

No, but that doesn't really contradict what I said. His best ever win would have to be Chubby Chela last year, although his best ever performance was against Blanco in the last two sets - Blanco apparently looked to his coach for help and the latter replied, "What can you do, he is better than you, you are not Harry Potter!" LOL.

Blanco said something to Henman at the end along the lines of what Mantilla said to Ferrero the year before, but then that was the match where Henman served 19 aces in three sets on clay. Those figures have never appeared again on clay or faster surfaces.

Action Jackson
04-22-2005, 03:48 PM
It was a brilliant match, Ferrero was hitting smoking forehand and backhand past Mantilla on virtually every point, and Mantilla was in the form of his life, having won TMS Roma a couple weeks earlier!

I was stunned at how well he played. I mean Mantilla has had a few guys just play off their nut to beat him, but everything Ferrero hit was just golden that day and that's why someone of that calibre should never be written off when it comes to RG.

federer express
04-22-2005, 03:49 PM
No, but that doesn't really contradict what I said.

it doesn't contradict what you said but he generally loses to the first good player (playing well) that he meets at the french.

Action Jackson
04-22-2005, 03:51 PM
it doesn't contradict what you said but he generally loses to the first good player (playing well) that he meets at the french.

That has happened to a few players there though.

federer express
04-22-2005, 03:51 PM
someone of that calibre should never be written off when it comes to RG.

you cant ever write off class. ppl tried to do it with sampras before he ended his career with another US open triumph. and ppl are doing it with agassi and even juan carlos. dangerous...

Rogiman
04-22-2005, 03:52 PM

Federer, to name one...? :devil:

Action Jackson
04-22-2005, 03:53 PM
you cant ever write off class. ppl tried to do it with sampras before he ended his career with another US open triumph. and ppl are doing it with agassi and even juan carlos. dangerous...

I mean it's like all the Nadal love and the like. The way some people are talking he is already better than Thomas Muster.

On clay I can write off Agassi, but not other surfaces.

federer express

true. but i definitely see henman's result there last year as the exception rather than a sign of things to follow. he was lucky to get by llodra and would bet he loses this year to someone all the pundits back him to beat prior to the match.

Action Jackson

Not the first one I am thinking of, but yes he'd be in that class.

federer express
04-22-2005, 03:56 PM

and would bet that from now on it will take a very good clay courter playing very good tennis on the day to beat federer. and his record there will be a very good one by the end of his career.

Rogiman
04-22-2005, 03:58 PM
and would bet that from now on it will take a very good clay courter playing very good tennis on the day to beat federer. and his record there will be a very good one by the end of his career.

Amen! :angel:

Rogiman
04-22-2005, 04:00 PM
Then again, we must be wishing him to do well just because he's #1 ,soon we'll be supporting Nadal ,so says the princess!

Action Jackson
04-22-2005, 04:02 PM
Then again, we must be wishing him to do well just because he's #1 ,soon we'll be supporting Nadal ,so says the princess!

Come on you are talking objectively about Federer you could be in trouble, and I'll have to get extra cargo for the Nadal bandwagon.

federer express
04-22-2005, 04:02 PM

ahh yes. nadal will be cheered on by rafaman and nadexpress as soon as he reaches the number 1 spot!

propi
04-22-2005, 04:06 PM
Juanqui has played some of his best tennis I've seen to play lately :worship:

Action Jackson
04-22-2005, 04:08 PM
Finally I hope this will give Ferrero the confidence to push forward.

oxy
04-22-2005, 04:09 PM
Finally I hope this will give Ferrero the confidence to push forward.

i hope too....the top 10 is missing him!!!!

oxy
04-22-2005, 04:10 PM
JC has beaten two top 10 players over the past 2 weeks which is a good achievement!!

mangoes
04-22-2005, 04:12 PM
I'm happy for JCF. Hope he makes it to the finals.

Rogiman
04-22-2005, 04:16 PM
ahh yes. nadal will be cheered on by rafaman and nadexpress as soon as he reaches the number 1 spot!

:lol:

Or maybe we should pretend to be fans of some Slovak underdog, that way nobody will notice we're actually cheering for the form-player :tape:

NYCtennisfan
04-22-2005, 04:23 PM

Nope. After these types of thrashings, you have no confidence left. Trust me, I know:) When you come close, you can always tell yourself that you were really close. As for JCF, he should hope that Nadal doesn't make the final because I see another beat down if he does. In any case, good stuff JCF. As for Gaudio, he will take his chances next time.

Action Jackson
04-22-2005, 04:31 PM
Nope. After these types of thrashings, you have no confidence left. Trust me, I know:) When you come close, you can always tell yourself that you were really close. As for JCF, he should hope that Nadal doesn't make the final because I see another beat down if he does. In any case, good stuff JCF. As for Gaudio, he will take his chances next time.

If it's close and they continue to lose close matches, that is worse, with all the what if stuff, but if what ifs, buts and maybes count for nowt.

As long as a player has put in 100 per cent and they are totally beaten by another player then there is no doubt about the results, example given above when Mantilla got drilled by Ferrero at RG. Felix couldn't do a thing about it, he was outplayed by a much better player and didn't have a chance.

Carito_90
04-22-2005, 04:32 PM
Juanqui!!!! :banana: Well done! :D

alexito
04-22-2005, 05:21 PM
great match, very good both players. ferrero will be top ten soon. I hope nadal ferrero in the final.

Raquel
04-22-2005, 06:07 PM
Well done JCF :banana: :woohoo:
It's just so great to see him in form again. I hope he wins the title :)

roisin
04-22-2005, 06:50 PM
:worship:
JCF!!! :woohoo:
man, this has made my day :yeah: i hope he can finish it off now, its been too long without a title

Scotso
04-22-2005, 07:03 PM
Told ya, Becs :p

:bounce: JC :bounce:

Roger-No.1
04-22-2005, 07:44 PM
Or maybe we should pretend to be fans of some Slovak underdog, that way nobody will notice we're actually cheering for the form-player
Definitely Rogiman! :haha:

Ferrero, Ferrero, Ferrero!!!!! :banana: :banana: :banana:

Not enough bananas!!!!!!

makro120
04-22-2005, 07:45 PM
JCF will be a nightmare to face in early rounds in RG.

Booshie
04-22-2005, 08:06 PM
Well done JC! :yeah: Very well done.

Well, that match was pretty much the thrill of my life. Hope there's more to come like that. :D With each and every match, he has to be gaining more confidence. He's been working hard, and finally the results are showing it!

Vamos! :D

Hantuchov
04-22-2005, 08:18 PM
Great stuff, Juanqui! :yeah: :worship:

It's so nice to see him doing good again! :bounce:

Billy Moonshine
04-22-2005, 08:20 PM
I saw the match live and it was great quality tennis, especially the drop shots and some classic rallies. it was very competitive and there was a fab atmosphere.
During the match, Ferrero behaved beautifully, so calm and focused. Gaudio on the otherhand was anything but concentrated at times. I´m a big Gaston fan but he was throwing his racket, moaning at the umpire, constantly chatting to his entourage.
IMO; Ferrero won because he fought harder and played more aggressively. In the final four games, he really picked his game up. Gaston played well too, but Ferrero showed more flair and was more consistent.
Btw, Gaudio´s butt is the best, even better in the flesh.
Stepanek is very cute in the flesh. He is very unphotogenic. He has a nice tan and lovely legs and a big, sweet smile.
Lopez looks like such a girl. I turned around and he was standing next to me and I didn´t recognise him. He has girls hair. He is very sexy though in the flesh, very nice ass.
And Nadal? the fans are crazy for him and he looks like he is having the time of his life, walking round the grounds while the kiddies chase after him!

Federerhingis
04-22-2005, 08:52 PM
JC has beaten two top 10 players over the past 2 weeks which is a good achievement!!

Great stuff indeed from the former King of clay. I am so happy for him, perhaps hes finding his rythm on clay and can keep this groove into Rolland Garros. Now see this is why I just dont see Gaudio as a solid top 5 or top 8 player, ocassionally a top tenner yes, but he's just so inconsistent and streaky, he was bound to win big on clay because of his formidable game on this surface, however he's let many important matches especially on Hamburg in the past slip away. Luckily for him he won the French last year, which was very well deserved and for once his clay potential seemed to take form.

Chloe le Bopper
04-22-2005, 08:57 PM
Good job, JCF.

I wouldn't be too worried about Gaudio, just yet. He's lost to Nadal and a (hopefully resurgent) JCF. Nothing to get broken up over.

Billabong
04-22-2005, 09:28 PM
Awesome JC:worship:!!!!!

star
04-23-2005, 12:58 AM
:bounce:

I am so happy for Juan Carlos!!

I was really happy when I got home and saw that he had won! That was a very tense match. I'm thrilled that he did so well.

And thanks for the match report Billy Moonshine :hatoff:

Leo
04-23-2005, 01:12 AM

Does anyone know where Ferrero's ranking will be after this win? And if he reaches the final/wins it all?

Now if he had just converted one of those 3 (?) match points in Rotterdam, he'd have wins over all reigning GS champions. But 2 out of 3 ain't bad. Even in times of slump, he's always been able to step it up against the big boys. And hopefully this past month is his first step out of the slump and back to 2003 form.

Scotso
04-23-2005, 02:30 AM

Does anyone know where Ferrero's ranking will be after this win? And if he reaches the final/wins it all?

Now if he had just converted one of those 3 (?) match points in Rotterdam, he'd have wins over all reigning GS champions. But 2 out of 3 ain't bad. Even in times of slump, he's always been able to step it up against the big boys. And hopefully this past month is his first step out of the slump and back to 2003 form.

Hi Leo :hearts:

NYCtennisfan
04-23-2005, 03:42 AM
If it's close and they continue to lose close matches, that is worse, with all the what if stuff, but if what ifs, buts and maybes count for nowt.

As long as a player has put in 100 per cent and they are totally beaten by another player then there is no doubt about the results, example given above when Mantilla got drilled by Ferrero at RG. Felix couldn't do a thing about it, he was outplayed by a much better player and didn't have a chance.

I respect your opinion but I completely disagree. When I played tennis in college (not at the ATP level but still), after a beat down, it was twice as hard to play the same guy. As soon as the set started to turn against me, the doubts came out. I can see where the doubts come about if you can't close a match or take your chances, but at least a point here and a point there and you win. After a beat down, there is no point here or point there. You just can't beat the guy and you are at a huge disadvantage the next time you play him.

mandoura
04-23-2005, 03:45 AM
A good and well deserved win by JCF. It will give him a most needed confidence boost. I am really happy for him.

safdem
04-23-2005, 03:57 AM
YAY!!!
c'mon ferrero!!!

fleur137
04-23-2005, 05:12 AM

I agree. if JC meets nadal, i really don't want to watch cos he might get his butt kicked just like in valencia. but then, let's be optimistic and hope that jc wins the title no matter what happens.

Ruski
04-23-2005, 05:18 AM
Well done, Juanqui! :yeah:

As usual, Gaudio didn't take his opportunities!!!! :o But, still.... I wouldn't count him out as one of the French Open title contenders. ;)

Chloe le Bopper
04-23-2005, 06:03 AM
:lol:

Or maybe we should pretend to be fans of some Slovak underdog, that way nobody will notice we're actually cheering for the form-player :tape:

Not that suggesting you will start rooting for Nadal someday isn't totally absurd and deserving of a foolish response.... but he's been rooting for Nadal for two years, and Beck for almost that long too. ;)

Alan
04-23-2005, 06:21 AM
Vamos!

syd
04-23-2005, 08:35 AM
very great Juan ! so happy u beat gaudio!

Action Jackson
04-23-2005, 08:41 AM
I respect your opinion but I completely disagree. When I played tennis in college (not at the ATP level but still), after a beat down, it was twice as hard to play the same guy. As soon as the set started to turn against me, the doubts came out. I can see where the doubts come about if you can't close a match or take your chances, but at least a point here and a point there and you win. After a beat down, there is no point here or point there. You just can't beat the guy and you are at a huge disadvantage the next time you play him.

That's the difference in thinking isn't it. You have it one way and others think it differently. Just using the Mantilla example he is 0-8 against Ferrero and he has had 4 losses exactly like the Gaudio one yesterday in their match, being so close on these occasions didn't help him get over the line in those tight matches they had did it?

Very simple rule in sport a player/team doesn't take their chances against top opposition, then they'll get punished.

NATAS81
04-23-2005, 09:00 AM
Good for JCF, has a couple of tourneys under his belt on the comback trail.

Hopefully, he's in good enough form to advance to the finals here where Rafa "Franchise" Nadal will whip his butt in fine fashion.

joske
04-23-2005, 10:02 AM
:worship: :worship: :worship:

Ferrero Forever
04-23-2005, 11:14 AM
now thats the way, uh huh, uh huh, I like it, uh huh, uh huh!!! i really hope Nadal loses his next match *which really hurts me to say because I adore him too* but JC really needs to win a title.

Leo
04-23-2005, 05:33 PM
Hi Leo :hearts:

Your avatar is very sexy. As are you. :wavey:

Leo
04-23-2005, 05:37 PM

I agree. I think for most, getting demolished is a worse fate that lessens your confidence more.