Agustin Calleri defeats Guillermo Coria 6-4 6-7 7-6 in Barcelona [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Agustin Calleri defeats Guillermo Coria 6-4 6-7 7-6 in Barcelona

Action Jackson
04-21-2005, 12:52 PM
This match almost went 3 hours and congrats to both players.

Great effort Agustin.

Thank you for proving me wrong.

*Ljubica*
04-21-2005, 12:54 PM
Yes - I am glad to be proved wrong too! Many. MANY congrats Agustin - great win :bounce:

TheBoiledEgg
04-21-2005, 12:54 PM
Agustin :woohoo: :banana: :yeah: :)

jazz_girl
04-21-2005, 12:55 PM
Great for Agustín!!!! :) I'm glad he's finally winning again :yeah: But I would have loved to see this match...

Action Jackson
04-21-2005, 12:56 PM
One telling stat in this match was the break point conversion.

Coria had 6/16
Calleri had 7/9

Plus, Agustin took an injury timeout after he won the 1st set for some problems with his back. He hasn't had a big win for sometime and good for him.

hablovah19
04-21-2005, 12:57 PM
:eek::eek::eek: :worship:

TheMightyFed
04-21-2005, 12:58 PM
I don't feel Coria for RG...
Did he find excuses for this one ? :devil:

Horatio Caine
04-21-2005, 01:00 PM
I don't feel Coria for RG...

Neither do I...but i guess it would be foolish if we jumped on the bandwagon too soon ;)

syd
04-21-2005, 01:00 PM
:sad:

Action Jackson
04-21-2005, 01:03 PM
Neither do I...but i guess it would be foolish if we jumped on the bandwagon too soon ;)

I wouldn't write him off at all, it would be silly to do so. He has a very good trainer who has prepared 2 RG champions and they are planning to peak there.

Yes, I am happy about the result, but it's far too early to write him off.

HybridTheory
04-21-2005, 01:04 PM
Great Agustin ! :yeah:

TheMightyFed
04-21-2005, 01:05 PM
Yes, I am happy about the result, but it's far too early to write him off.
Thanks Dad to keep us reasonable ;)

star
04-21-2005, 01:05 PM
:hatoff: Calleri! Very well done.

And now :kiss: :kiss: Guille. Get some rest please and come back strong. :)

fabolous
04-21-2005, 01:06 PM
great calleri! :worship: i'll never call him a choker again.

i'm not that surprised, cause coria had big problems with wessels yesterday and calleri is able to beat him on a good day. guille needs a rest now, i think.

Action Jackson
04-21-2005, 01:07 PM
Thanks Dad to keep us reasonable ;)

I am happy that you can spell reasonable :)

boliviana
04-21-2005, 01:09 PM
Did he find excuses for this one ? :devil:

I am an ignorant soul so enlighten me. What excuses has he come up with this year?

I'm sorry . . . is that silence? Because there is no answer? Because there has been no bad behavior, no bs, just a guy trying his best to rebound after a lousy and very disappointing year.

TheMightyFed
04-21-2005, 01:12 PM
I am an ignorant soul so enlighten me. What excuses has he come up with this year?

I'm sorry . . . is that silence? Because there is no answer? Because there has been no bad behavior, no bs, just a guy trying his best to rebound after a lousy and very disappointing year.
rain, blisters, cramps, "I drink only water, that's why I'm weak" are part of his vocabulary in post match interviews, that's why I was wondering... ;)

TheMightyFed
04-21-2005, 01:14 PM
I am happy that you can spell reasonable :)
You are mean, so mean, but that's why we like you, a bit like JR in Dallas... (check my spelling please) ;)

*Ljubica*
04-21-2005, 01:20 PM
rain, blisters, cramps, "I drink only water, that's why I'm weak" are part of his vocabulary in post match interviews, that's why I was wondering... ;)

You forgot - "the courts were too slow and the balls were too heavy!" :devil:

foul_dwimmerlaik
Congrads Godo on a hard-fought win. Very disappointed for Guillie though, hope he'll come around.

TheMightyFed
Where are you Julio1974, so that I can bad rep you as well ?

Neely
04-21-2005, 01:21 PM
Finally against a sign of life from Calleri.... he's done nothing of note at all for how long? months? A year? The last great match I've witnessed him playing was against Agassi last year at Miami.

TheMightyFed
04-21-2005, 01:21 PM
Be careful, Coria fans are hot, they bad rep you just if you quote Coria's interviews !! ;)

Fergie
04-21-2005, 01:22 PM
Well done Agustin, congrats! :worship:

Action Jackson
04-21-2005, 01:23 PM
Congrads Godo on a hard-fought win. Very disappointed for Guillie though, hope he'll come around.

The weasel couldn't get away with it this time, but there is still a long way to before RG.

foul_dwimmerlaik
04-21-2005, 01:29 PM
The weasel couldn't get away with it this time, but there is still a long way to before RG.Hope you're right, but it's been a disappointing tourney to me so far. First the hippo and now the weasel. Soon I'll be pressed to cheer for Nadal.

Action Jackson
04-21-2005, 01:36 PM
Hope you're right, but it's been a disappointing tourney to me so far. First the hippo and now the weasel. Soon I'll be pressed to cheer for Nadal.

I mean I was cheering hard for Calleri, but is there a point of playing the best tennis now? I am only talking about his tennis here.

alexito
04-21-2005, 01:36 PM
yessssssssssssssssssssssssss agustinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
congratulationssssssssssss

foul_dwimmerlaik
04-21-2005, 01:42 PM
I mean I was cheering hard for Calleri, but is there a point of playing the best tennis now? I'd say better now then never. It's been a while for him.

Action Jackson
04-21-2005, 01:45 PM
I'd say better now then never. It's been a while for him.

Well, he has to peak for RG, but Calleri is a very good player on clay when in the mood, then again he made the final last week in Monte Carlo, he isn't going to go 35 clay wins all the time.

Hendu
04-21-2005, 01:46 PM
GORDO!! :banana:

Action Jackson
04-21-2005, 01:48 PM
:bowdown: :bowdown: El Gordo

dylan24
04-21-2005, 02:10 PM
great job coria.
you're surely going to win the french open
fucking joke

*Ljubica*
04-21-2005, 02:12 PM
Be careful, Coria fans are hot, they bad rep you just if you quote Coria's interviews !! ;)

I know and I have had plenty - plus loads of insults and name calling in print-but do I look or sound afraid :angel:

In fact - guess what - they have already started :haha:

TheMightyFed
04-21-2005, 02:13 PM
I know and I have had plenty - plus loads of insults and name calling in print-but do I look or sound afraid :angel:
You know what, I like you Rosie :hug:

*Ljubica*
04-21-2005, 02:15 PM
You know what, I like you Rosie :hug:

The feeling is mutual :hug: and I'll send you a GoodRep to make up for some of the bad ones you'll be getting!

TheMightyFed
04-21-2005, 02:18 PM
The feeling is mutual :hug: and I'll send you a GoodRep to make up for some of the bad ones you'll be getting!
Thx, cannot send back today but tomorrow for sure :hearts:

Wojtek
04-21-2005, 02:22 PM
Calleri :)

Action Jackson
04-21-2005, 02:23 PM
There should be more Calleri love showed in this thread.

He had the problem with his new coach decided to dump him in Australia, and he hasn't been in form and maybe this result can push him forward as he has to improve his ranking.

foul_dwimmerlaik
04-21-2005, 02:26 PM
Well, he has to peak for RG, but Calleri is a very good player on clay when in the mood, then again he made the final last week in Monte Carlo, he isn't going to go 35 clay wins all the time.A girl can dream though, right? :angel: All that "peaking" buisiness is highly suspect to me. Last two yrs it was clear that Guillie was one of the favourites for the RG mid-way through clay season. Now, I'm in doubt - he's clearly still out of his best form yet (understandably so, but still). We'll see if he can regain it for RG - he'll need it.

And why are we talking about Coria in Godo congratulation thread? :)

Action Jackson
04-21-2005, 02:27 PM
And why are we talking about Coria in Godo congratulation thread? :)

Weasel did take part in this match. :)

boliviana
04-21-2005, 02:35 PM

you'll find fault where you want to, as will I . . . I haven't seen the same Coria this year. I've heard things like "i played like my grandmother today, i deserved to lose, i'm trying to get back to where i was," etc. I don't see him whining like he used to . . . about the courts, it sounded more like an explanation and not an excuse. The tone is different. He's different.

Enjoy the day!!! Awesome spring weather here in NY . . .

MariaV
04-21-2005, 03:05 PM
There should be more Calleri love showed in this thread.

He had the problem with his new coach decided to dump him in Australia, and he hasn't been in form and maybe this result can push him forward as he has to improve his ranking.

Hey hey George, more Calleri love here! :wavey: I really really like the man and hope all the problems are behind him now. :D :banana: :bounce: :bigclap:
And you sure cannot write Guille off yet. The weasel will be back. :devil:

Action Jackson
04-21-2005, 03:08 PM
Hey hey George, more Calleri love here! :wavey: I really really like the man and hope all the problems are behind him now. :D :banana: :bounce: :bigclap:
And you sure cannot write Guille off yet. The weasel will be back. :devil:

Had a lot of injury problems last year as well which put him behind in his preparation. He doesn't have that long left in the game, so I just hope he can have some good performances.

No weasels don't die quickly and it would be foolish to write off Coria in any tournament played on clay as a contender.

Truc
04-21-2005, 03:26 PM
We know what everybody here is thinking of Coria, but how was the match itself? Was it a poor performance of Coria? Did he choke in the third set or was it a really good fight from Calleri then? Did anybody watch the match?

Deboogle!.
04-21-2005, 03:28 PM
Calleri! :woohoo:

This is his first big win since last year beating Andre, huh? Good for him! :D

RonE
04-21-2005, 03:41 PM
Well done Augustin :yeah:

Revenge for Hamburg 2003

Action Jackson
04-21-2005, 03:52 PM
I got this from deivid and another source, so thanks. The first set was quite good Calleri was playing very well hitting some very good backhands, and his serve was successful when it went in and Coria wasn't playing badly.

At the start of the 2nd set Calleri called for an injury timeout for a lower back problem, it was less likely to be a trick considering he was leading at the time, then a breakathon went on 8 breaks of serve in the first 9 games, then they decided to hold serve and Coria was steadier.

Coria got an early break in the 3rd, and Calleri broke back when Coria was serving for the match at 5-4, it went to the breaker, where Calleri was relaxed and hitting out forcing Coria into errors in the breaker.

DanEd
04-21-2005, 03:55 PM
I just hope calleri is fresh and healthy to face Nadal.

Truc
04-21-2005, 04:13 PM
Thanks, GWH. It's good to know Calleri was playing well in the first set and Coria wasn't too pathetic.
Anyway we all knew he would have lost in the next round, so one round more or less is not such a big deal.

Carito_90
04-21-2005, 04:24 PM
Wow :eek: Very impressive.
Congrats to Agustin! :) Was about time he came up with a big win :banana:

Maybe it's the best for Guille, he has to rest a little. :)

Vale
04-21-2005, 05:20 PM
THE GREAT "GORDO" :worship:

The Argentine paper La Nación says:

The "duel" between Argentines got interesting in the third set, when the public was rooting for Calleri and some verbal interchanges surprised the central court's public at the elegant Real Tenis Club Barcelona.

"You're really lucky!!!" Calleri shouted after Coria returned an almost impossible ball, and Coria responded shouting "Miss it, miss it!" while the man from Córdoba was about to connect a smash.

Chloe le Bopper
04-21-2005, 05:28 PM

The "duel" between Argentines got interesting in the third set, when the public was rooting for Calleri and some verbal interchanges surprised the central court's public at the elegant Real Tenis Club Barcelona.

"You're really lucky!!!" Calleri shouted after Coria returned an almost impossible ball, and Coria responded shouting "Miss it, miss it!" while the man from Córdoba was about to connect a smash.
:haha:

Did you make this up? :D

Good job, Calleri. Peak later, Coria.

DanEd
04-21-2005, 06:16 PM

so Coria shouted Miss it, miss it. What a cheater and sore loser he is.

Carolinita
04-21-2005, 06:17 PM
Well done Agustín! :banana:

Deivid23
04-21-2005, 06:18 PM

He also said again court was too slow for him, maybe he prefers grass these days lol

Carolinita
04-21-2005, 06:24 PM
yeah indeed! :( ...fair play please!

alfonsojose
04-21-2005, 06:24 PM
He also said again court was too slow for him, maybe he prefers grass these days lol
Of course. He prefers gras now 'coz he has improved his serve so much :tape: Vamos, Guille :devil:

fabolous
04-21-2005, 06:28 PM
yes i agree. he should be suspended from the atp immediatly.

attention: irony!!!

Chloe le Bopper
04-21-2005, 06:52 PM
I was seriously concerened for a moment that everybody was taking DanEd seriously. PHEW.

If that exchange had been the other way around there would be 600 threads hating on Coria already. I'm only somewhat surprised there isn't one already.

MissMoJo
04-21-2005, 08:58 PM
:scared: Guille....

Daniel
04-22-2005, 03:36 AM
Agustin :rocker:

Coria :(

Action Jackson
04-22-2005, 07:42 AM
:haha:

Did you make this up? :D

Good job, Calleri. Peak later, Coria.

http://www.lanacion.com.ar/deportiva/Nota.asp?nota_id=698190

Ya a corazón abierto, el partido entregó lo mejor en el set decisivo, con un público que se enganchó con el duelo de legionarios. Que, además, son grandes amigos. Fue entonces como se pudo escuchar un "¡qué suerte que tenés!" de Calleri por una pelota increíble alcanzada por su rival, o el "erralo, erralo" de Coria cuando el cordobés se aprestaba a ejecutar un smash. Así, fue tejiendo una victoria que concretó en el primero de los cuatro match-points que tuvo en el tie-break final.

That is what Vale was refering to in its original version.

Action Jackson
04-22-2005, 09:42 AM
http://www.lanacion.com.ar/anexos/imagen/05/384644.JPG