Lucky Loser question [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Lucky Loser question

Devotee
04-21-2005, 03:44 AM
Is the potential lucky loser required to stay around after Qualifying in case some one in the main draw pulls out? and for how long?

Sometimes a 2nd. lucky loser even gets into the main draw -- several days after the main tournament has begun.

TheBoiledEgg
04-21-2005, 03:48 AM
Is the potential lucky loser required to stay around after Qualifying in case some one in the main draw pulls out? and for how long?

Sometimes a 2nd. lucky loser even gets into the main draw -- several days after the main tournament has begun.

not required but its wise to do so.
they have to meet the sign in deadline each day and if you miss that deadline you miss the boat (esp if you were the top ranked of the qualifiers that lost in final qual rd).

quite a few players just stick around and practice for another 2-3 days as alot of players are there and you'll get a decent hit before moving onto the next event.

Action Jackson
04-21-2005, 03:49 AM
Well the Lucky Loser is the highest ranked qualifier that lost in the qualies. They can stick around the tournament or not, that is their choice.

As for several days that isn't true as most 1st rounds are played only over 2 days (US open excepted), the player from the Main Draw would have to withdrawn within a specific timeframe for a lucky loser to take their place.

mitalidas
04-21-2005, 04:04 AM
anyone know who the luckiest loser has been in a big tourney? anyone won a slam or done some damage at a slam?

Devotee
04-21-2005, 04:07 AM
esp if you were the top ranked of the qualifiers that lost in final qual rd

When you say "top ranked", do you mean highest seed of the qualifying draw to make the final round?

Both TheBoiledEgg & GWH, please provide responses. Thanks.

Action Jackson
04-21-2005, 04:10 AM
Yes, devotee we meant that's how the Lucky Loser is decided it goes down the list of rankings of the highest ranked player that has lost in qualies.

Devotee
04-21-2005, 04:11 AM
They can stick around the tournament or not, that is their choice.

If they don't stick around and a lucky loser is needed to replace a main draw entrant, then who becomes the next in line lucky loser?

Action Jackson
04-21-2005, 04:15 AM
If they don't stick around and a lucky loser is needed to replace a main draw entrant, then who becomes the next in line lucky loser?

I explained that already, it goes down the ranking list of the losers in the last qualifying round.

smucav
04-21-2005, 05:36 AM
anyone know who the luckiest loser has been in a big tourney? anyone won a slam or done some damage at a slam?The last time a lucky loser won a title: 1991 Sao Paulo/Christan Miniussi

The last time a lucky loser reached a final: 1999 Halle/Nicklas Kulti

The last time a lucky loser reached a semifinal: 2004 AMS Toronto/Thomas Johansson

Devotee
04-21-2005, 05:39 AM
The last time a lucky loser won a title: 1991 Sao Paulo/Christan Miniussi

The last time a lucky loser reached a final: 1999 Halle/Nicklas Kulti

The last time a lucky loser reached a semifinal: 2004 AMS Toronto/Thomas Johansson

Where did you get these stats from?

Darkheart
04-21-2005, 03:11 PM
But sometimes a top seed gets a bye into the 2nd round then he pulls out at the last moment. Then Thursday would be the last day a LL has to hang around if he wants to.

rocketrajic
04-21-2005, 03:14 PM
I know that in 2001, Ljubicic reached 1/4 as a LL in AMS Miami (96 draw).

Neely
04-21-2005, 04:07 PM
anyone know who the luckiest loser has been in a big tourney? anyone won a slam or done some damage at a slam?
I don't even remember a Lucky Loser making the Quarter Finals or a 4th round at a Slam, let alone any further.

smucav
04-21-2005, 04:39 PM
Where did you get these stats from?ATP media guide

Space Cowgirl
04-21-2005, 05:53 PM
So if the LL place goes to the highest-ranked qualy loser, is that not a bit unfair on, say, those who were lower-ranked but had managed to get to the finals of qualifying ahead of them? What I mean is that the top seeds can just as easily lose early in qualifying as the lower-ranked guys, but they still have this 'safety net'.

kiro
04-21-2005, 06:08 PM
So if the LL place goes to the highest-ranked qualy loser, is that not a bit unfair on, say, those who were lower-ranked but had managed to get to the finals of qualifying ahead of them? What I mean is that the top seeds can just as easily lose early in qualifying as the lower-ranked guys, but they still have this 'safety net'.

Note: The first LL should be the highest ranked player who lost in the final round of qualifying.

Space Cowgirl
04-21-2005, 06:27 PM
ah, thanks kiro, that's not so bad :)

Hurley
04-21-2005, 07:44 PM
I don't even remember a Lucky Loser making the Quarter Finals or a 4th round at a Slam, let alone any further.

I can only think of one off the top of my head, and it's a woman: Maria Jose Gaidano made the 4th round of the US Open in the early 90's as an LL.

TheBoiledEgg
04-21-2005, 09:01 PM
Note: The first LL should be the highest ranked player who lost in the final round of qualifying.

wasnt always the case, thats why its called Lucky Loser
some time ago all final rd losers in qualifying were just drawn out of a hat, hence the term "Lucky Loser"

* This yr also saw the 1st time ever two players who played in qualifying final rd, then played the actual tournament final. (WTA Canberra,: Ivanovic d. Czink)

Voo de Mar
08-17-2012, 01:19 AM
Ljubicic - Miami 2001
A.Martin - Hamburg 2001 & Rome 2005
T.Johansson - Toronto 2004
Benneteau - Cincinnati 2009
Chardy - Cincinnati 2012

I can't evoke any other player to advance at least to 'Masters 1000' quarterfinals. Who else?

duong
08-17-2012, 11:15 AM
some time ago all final rd losers in qualifying were just drawn out of a hat, hence the term "Lucky Loser"

in slams they still make a draw between highest 4 ranked players to lose in final round of the qualies, or a draw between highest 5 ranked players if there are 3 withdrawals at the moment the qualies are finished, 6 if there are 4 withdrawals, etc ...

Voo de Mar
08-17-2012, 08:13 PM
No-one replied on my question so I've checked it out, you can see all M'1000 LL quarter-finalists here (http://voodemar.com/?p=9035) :wavey:

networthy
08-18-2012, 04:03 AM
Well the Lucky Loser is the highest ranked qualifier that lost in the qualies.

Yes, devotee we meant that's how the Lucky Loser is decided it goes down the list of rankings of the highest ranked player that has lost in qualies.

I explained that already, it goes down the ranking list of the losers in the last qualifying round.

in slams they still make a draw between highest 4 ranked players to lose in final round of the qualies

LL's are decided by highest seeding, not ranking. They're usually the same, but not always. That's because seedings are based on the previous week's rankings.