Anyone seen this new tennis movie? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Anyone seen this new tennis movie?

Auscon
04-20-2005, 05:35 AM
'Tennis, Anyone...?' (2005)

Plot Outline: Two mid level Hollywood losers attempt to find redemption, revenge and meaning in their lives through celebrity tennis tournaments.

Lead actor is the main character in the sitcom Grounded for Life....I'm guessing he's a pretty big tennis fan because he not only directed but also wrote the film, and theres an episode of Grounded for Life which has him playing tennis against his neighbour

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0413356/

Armada~121
04-20-2005, 06:22 AM
Thank you for the news.

I wonder why no one has really depicted tennis the same way Million Dollar Baby depicted boxing, i.e. offering real insights of what it's like to be a tennis player, the feelings of success, pressure, the struggling against self-doubt, etc. since this is an individual sport and has many interesting aspects. It could be one hell of a great and soul-searching movie.

But maybe it wouldn't sell. There you go. End of discussion.

Becarina
04-20-2005, 07:34 AM
did you watch "Wimbledon"? I thought it gave an ok insight into what players are thinking. Take out the romance part, of course.

syd
04-20-2005, 07:41 AM
originally Posted by AndysGirl
did you watch "Wimbledon"?
i haven't liked it,

Becarina
04-20-2005, 07:49 AM
i haven't liked it,

not the point, it does give a good insight into a players mind, albeit a "older" players mind.

syd
04-20-2005, 07:52 AM
Originally Posted by AndysGirl
not the point, it does give a good insight into a players mind, albeit a "older" players mind. yes agree about that point,!!

Becarina
04-20-2005, 07:54 AM
lucky me....

Armada~121
04-20-2005, 08:19 AM
yeah I saw Wimbledon and the best part is when Peter Cole having interior monologue when he is on court :D Some players I talk to admit that their minds are wandering like that when they are on court, about to serve. But Wimbledon,as u said, concentrates too much on the romance that it is barely about the real life of tennis players. Besides, it's too formulaic. Paul Bettany might save the day because he is a good actor :) but his character is super cliche.

WHat I mean is that tennis is full of interesting personalities. And their careers are the results of their different personalities. Million Dollar Baby is much more than a boxing movie. It is an insight to different souls who have so many details in life behind the foreground, which is centered around boxing. But I can't see that much in Wimbledon...and I just hope somebody might come up with more insightful kind of tennis movies soon.

Kristen
04-20-2005, 08:45 AM
:eek: Excuse me while I miss the point... but I LOVE Grounded For Life!!!!
Stephen Dorf and Paul Rudd are in this?! :drool: Well, they were :drool: when I was in high school ;)

Auscon
04-20-2005, 10:46 AM
:eek: Excuse me while I miss the point... but I LOVE Grounded For Life!!!!

yeah, its definitely one of the best sitcoms we get at the moment....too bad its on around midday, so I dont think many people would get to see it

smucav
04-20-2005, 04:29 PM
'Tennis, Anyone...?' (2005)
Plot Outline: Two mid level Hollywood losers attempt to find redemption, revenge and meaning in their lives through celebrity tennis tournaments.
Lead actor is the main character in the sitcom Grounded for Life....I'm guessing he's a pretty big tennis fan because he not only directed but also wrote the film, and theres an episode of Grounded for Life which has him playing tennis against his neighbour
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0413356/So far it's only screened at film festivals & is still looking for a U.S. distributor. With the combined indie cred of Logue & Rudd, I'm sure it will eventually find one.

I don't know about Logue's tennis credentials, but one of the other cast members, Maeve Quinlan, was a top college (Northwestern & USC) tennis player in the 1980s. She played on the WTA tour for a few years & frequently plays in the various celebrity tennis events in the U.S.

If you're a fan of Donal Logue, check out another indie film he did a few years back, "The Tao of Steve."

(BTW: "Grounded for Life" was canceled in the U.S. in January. Logue is still recurring on "er" as he has for the last three seasons.)

dylan24
04-20-2005, 07:12 PM
i haven't liked it,
i'd have liked it more if kirsten dunst showed her tits

Asmus
04-20-2005, 07:17 PM
Thank you for the news.

I wonder why no one has really depicted tennis the same way Million Dollar Baby depicted boxing, i.e. offering real insights of what it's like to be a tennis player, the feelings of success, pressure, the struggling against self-doubt, etc. since this is an individual sport and has many interesting aspects. It could be one hell of a great and soul-searching movie.

But maybe it wouldn't sell. There you go. End of discussion.

I'm surprised too, you'd think something like a biopic based on the life of Anna Kournikova, Maria Sharapova or the Williams sisters would have some marketing value.

LuCaS@ro
04-20-2005, 09:15 PM
this one no, but Wimbledon was ok

MrOschie
04-20-2005, 10:42 PM
:shrug: