Do you think there's doping in ATP top 50 ? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Do you think there's doping in ATP top 50 ?

TheMightyFed
04-19-2005, 11:31 AM
I'm always amazed as the guys that get caught by the ATP are always 456th ranked no-names who smoke in their bed before sleeping... the big names are never mentioned except in this food supplement story where Rusedski took for everybody...
What do you think ?

joeb_uk
04-19-2005, 12:12 PM
I think there is, no question!

Action Jackson
04-19-2005, 12:15 PM
It's professional sport and in pro sport there is doping.

It helps to come from certain places and not from others.

joeb_uk
04-19-2005, 12:16 PM
It's professional sport and in pro sport there is doping.

It helps to come from certain places and not from others.
Yeah very true, the problem is only going to grow i feel

sigmagirl91
04-19-2005, 12:16 PM
Yes, without question.

Action Jackson
04-19-2005, 12:22 PM
Yeah very true, the problem is only going to grow i feel

As pro sports go it's relatively clean well especially compared to cycling and athletics, but it's around and won't be going anywhere very quickly.

I remember Rios making comments like don't expect Agassi or someone like that to get caught if they were on it. That is an example that it helps to have a certain name and also there are things that contained banned substances you can get over the counter in some places, but forbidden in others.

syd
04-19-2005, 12:22 PM
there is doping in all sport, tennis don't make exception !

Horatio Caine
04-19-2005, 12:27 PM
I'm always amazed as the guys that get caught by the ATP are always 456th ranked no-names who smoke in their bed before sleeping... the big names are never mentioned except in this food supplement story where Rudsesky took for everybody...
What do you think ?

Awww mate please....you are not anywhere near spelling Greg's name correctly! ;)

RUSEDSKI.

I'm sure there is the odd incident but most players in the top 50 shouldn't need to cheat to have decent results all year round so they would be daft to do so. Besides, doesn't the ATP test each player about a dozen times a year or something? If so, someone would surely have been found out by now?

syd
04-19-2005, 12:43 PM
I'm sure there is the odd incident but most players in the top 50 shouldn't need to cheat to have decent results all year round so they would be daft to do so. Besides, doesn't the ATP test each player about a dozen times a year or something? If so, someone would surely have been found out by now?
yes but even if they find them, they don't denounce them.
i remmeber, some years ago, Escudé accused the RG organisator to have hidden doped players.

Angle Queen
04-19-2005, 01:09 PM
I'd call it a 'YES, but'.

There's bound to be some, intentional...or not. I don't think the 'supplement' industry is well regulated nor are they the most forthcoming with their product contents.

But on the whole, I believe professional tennis is one of the cleaner sports, top to bottom. In part, because they do test often and because I don't think muscularity will inherently make a better player. Quicker recovery, yes, but they all hit the ball pretty darn hard anyway.

I do hope, however, if/when they catch a Top 50 player, they'll deal with it upfront rather than trying to sweep it under the carpet.

syd
04-19-2005, 01:21 PM
But on the whole, I believe professional tennis is one of the cleaner sports, top to bottom. In part, because they do test often and because I don't think muscularity will inherently make a better player. Quicker recovery, yes, but they all hit the ball pretty darn hard anyway.
right, doping don't make you better differently to other sport !

TheMightyFed
04-19-2005, 01:23 PM
Awww mate please....you are not anywhere near spelling Greg's name correctly! ;)

RUSEDSKI.

Sorry mate, R-U-S-E-D-S-K-I, he should finally feel guilty for such a spelling... ;)

Wojtek
04-19-2005, 01:29 PM
Yes. I think it wasn't accident that for example 3 players from Argentina tested positive for the same drug.

sigmagirl91
04-19-2005, 01:31 PM
Yes. I think it wasn't accident that for example 3 players from Argentina tested positive for the same drug.

Actually not, Wojtek. Chela tested positive for a form of testosterone, not nandrolone.

TheMightyFed
04-19-2005, 02:01 PM
It's tough to imagine the guys getting the syringe for a good run in a tournament.
I think the question is more "taboo" and tennis has a reputation of a clean sport because if you're doped you really cheat directly your opponent, and then you have to shake his hand, there is an étiquette like in martial arts, and the respect of the opponent is very important.
However, the money at stake, the ranking system and the very few spots (proportionnally) that allow a player to break even are certainly putting a lot of pressure on the guys, and they must be very strong metally to resist the temptation.
I've heard that the 2 usual profiles of doped tennismen were the ones coming back from injuries, and the oldest, that are keen on keeping their rankings.

syd
04-19-2005, 02:16 PM
I think the question is more "taboo" and tennis has a reputation of a clean sport tennis use their own test which doesn't detect all kind of drugs !!

Denaon
04-19-2005, 02:37 PM
Now, that's a fact, they were all from Argentina, not from USA or Australia, France, Spain...it certainly makes a difference, absolutely no accident there.

TheMightyFed
04-19-2005, 02:43 PM
Let's not start a nationality battle here, it's not the point. The point is that tennis, being the only mainstream sport with formula 1 with a ranking system, how could it be that the top guys are the ones that don't take anything, while the journeymen are taken like rabbits. The cash machines seem to be untouchable.

Denaon
04-19-2005, 02:55 PM
I meant no nationality battle... But it's kinda the same issue, unknown players as other countries players (except the ones I mentioned) are treated the same way. At that time it was Argentina's turn, today I really doubt it because of three men in Top 10. They protect who they wanna protect.

Action Jackson
04-19-2005, 02:59 PM
Let's not start a nationality battle here, it's not the point. The point is that tennis, being the only mainstream sport with formula 1 with a ranking system, how could it be that the top guys are the ones that don't take anything, while the journeymen are taken like rabbits. The cash machines seem to be untouchable.

It helps to come from certain countries.

TheMightyFed
04-19-2005, 03:18 PM
It helps to come from certain countries.
Yep, like wealthy countries, with advanced laboratories and big media coverage that favor endorsements that allow athletes to buy products. Cf BALCO customers Lendl, Chang and Courier (never tested positive). But what I meant is that we should not start to say: people from this or that country cheat, etc.
Did anyone see a player in flesh and thought: it's not possible, he might have taken something, like at the end of the 5th or so ?

Denaon
04-19-2005, 03:43 PM
Yep, like wealthy countries, with advanced laboratories and big media coverage that favor endorsements that allow athletes to buy products. Cf BALCO customers Lendl, Chang and Courier (never tested positive). But what I meant is that we should not start to say: people from this or that country cheat, etc.
Did anyone see a player in flesh and thought: it's not possible, he might have taken something, like at the end of the 5th or so ?
NO, no, no. Do you think that Lendl, Courier, and even Chang if tested positive that would become public? NO way. Laboratories' matter is pure crap...(no offense ;) )

TheMightyFed
04-19-2005, 03:51 PM
Laboratories' matter is pure crap...(no offense ;) )
OK but... what do you mean ? :confused: I'm just saying that places where you can find the latest technologies are the most prone to produce doped athletes...

Denaon
04-19-2005, 03:53 PM
OK but... what do you mean ? :confused: I'm just saying that places where you can find the latest technologies are the most prone to produce doped athletes...
:lol: nothing important :haha:
This is why i should take english classes again :o

Action Jackson
04-19-2005, 03:56 PM
NO, no, no. Do you think that Lendl, Courier, and even Chang if tested positive that would become public? NO way. Laboratories' matter is pure crap...(no offense ;) )

I understood what you meant the first time around. I mean there are plenty of rec drugs around tennis, but as for doping it's there, but one thing previously I said is that some things than can be bought over the counter in the US, that are banned in Europe for example.

TheMightyFed
04-19-2005, 04:01 PM
I understood what you meant the first time around. I mean there are plenty of rec drugs around tennis, but as for doping it's there, but one thing previously I said is that some things than can be bought over the counter in the US, that are banned in Europe for example.
true but when it comes to tournaments, same rules apply for everybody, so such differences in legislations should not interfere... then when you look at Gil Reyes (AKA "Muscle Mountain"), you wonder if the guy is only drinking water and if he has always recommended to do so to Dre for his training... ;)

TheMightyFed
04-19-2005, 04:03 PM
:lol: nothing important :haha:
This is why i should take english classes again :o
Happy to see you laughing for so little, you must be a happy person in life, good for you ! :devil:

Action Jackson
04-19-2005, 04:04 PM
true but when it comes to tournaments, same rules apply for everybody, so such differences in legislations should not interfere... then when you look at Gil Reyes (AKA "Muscle Mountain"), you wonder if the guy is only drinking water and if he has always recommended to do so to Dre for his training... ;)

There are ways around testing, that is clear and there are loopholes everywhere and they are exploited.

It's random at tournaments they don't test every player and some players get tested more often than not.

Denaon
04-19-2005, 04:08 PM
Happy to see you laughing for so little, you must be a happy person in life, good for you ! :devil:
:ras:
there you go I'm not laughing anymore
:devil: :ras:

Experimentee
04-19-2005, 04:18 PM
There may be a few cases but tennis is a sport that is clean compared to others. In tennis there is a big emphasis on skill and tactics rather than just pure strength, so it wouldnt be as useful as it would be for something like athletics. A lot of tennis players care a lot about their health and would never take any substance that could damage their bodies. Even if they had ways to cover it up, there is still a lot less tennis players getting caught than other sports which means that it is not common.

Action Jackson
04-19-2005, 04:20 PM
There may be a few cases but tennis is a sport that is clean compared to others.

Anything is clean compared to Tour de Doping, NFL or athletics.

~EMiLiTA~
04-19-2005, 04:22 PM
yup

vogus
04-19-2005, 05:02 PM
There may be a few cases but tennis is a sport that is clean compared to others. In tennis there is a big emphasis on skill and tactics rather than just pure strength, so it wouldnt be as useful as it would be for something like athletics. A lot of tennis players care a lot about their health and would never take any substance that could damage their bodies. Even if they had ways to cover it up, there is still a lot less tennis players getting caught than other sports which means that it is not common.

This paragraph is the purest example of naive wishful thinking that i have read in quite a while.

After what has happened in track & field, cycling, and now baseball, it should be obvious to everybody that there is a group of professional "consultants" operating in the shadows of pro sports, whose job it is to design drug programs and help athletes beat the testing. I can't think of any reason why tennis, both mens and womens, wouldn't be prime real estate for these types. Tennis may be less polluted than other sports, but that hardly makes it clean.

AlexNYR
04-19-2005, 05:10 PM
the people that know what they are doing are 20 years or more ahead of the testers...look at all those athletes in balco with creams and rubs, the testers didnt have clue one what was going on, until a snitch gave them up....the drugs, or gene therapy or whatever the athletes are taking/doing now, the testers wont find out for another decade or more, and by that time they will have moved on to something else....in other words the testers are lost and testing is a big waste of time anyway

AlexNYR
04-19-2005, 05:18 PM
This paragraph is the purest example of naive wishful thinking that i have read in quite a while.

After what has happened in track & field, cycling, and now baseball, it should be obvious to everybody that there is a group of professional "consultants" operating in the shadows of pro sports, whose job it is to design drug programs and help athletes beat the testing. I can't think of any reason why tennis, both mens and womens, wouldn't be prime real estate for these types. Tennis may be less polluted than other sports, but that hardly makes it clean.

i agree, people assume beating the test means you are clean...beating the test means you may be clean or you found a way to beat the test, which again if you know what the deal is you can beat it hundreds of ways

joske
04-19-2005, 06:17 PM
I think - and fear - that doping is used by some players in all sports these days :rolleyes:

MalmöKrampan
04-19-2005, 06:58 PM
Xavier's roid rage? :D

Nymeria
04-19-2005, 10:23 PM
I guess so, ain't doping everywhere? in all sports?

Pea
04-20-2005, 12:36 AM
There will never be a full investigation until someone from the states is caught.

oneandonlyhsn
04-20-2005, 01:02 AM
I thought tennis was the hardest sport to cheat coz of all the tests the athletes were subjected to, atleast thats what I read somewhere. But I guess its naive to think because of frequent testing that there arent any cheaters out there.

Becarina
04-20-2005, 08:26 AM
I am thinking no. What would be the point? You need more endurance in tennis, and I cannot think of any drug that will give you that. Muscle yes, speed, maybe but most drugs make you tired and "flighty" how could you concentrate? Not feesable, TO ME that is ;)

TheMightyFed
04-20-2005, 08:55 AM
You need more endurance in tennis, and I cannot think of any drug that will give you that.
I think you're joking: do you know thes three letters: E-P-O ?

syd
04-20-2005, 08:58 AM
anyway, there is always new drugs and they are discovered 10 years later when a new one is created !!

Becarina
04-20-2005, 08:59 AM

NO, but I am not into drugs, sorry

Action Jackson
04-20-2005, 09:11 AM

NESP is another one as well.

TheMightyFed
04-20-2005, 10:12 AM
NESP is another one as well.
What is that ? Is it the one that is not detectable ?